3.Boston Red Sox$173,186,617$5,093,724
4.Los Angeles Angels$154,485,166$5,327,074
5.Detroit Tigers$132,300,000$4,562,068
6.Texas Rangers$120,510,974$4,635,037
7.Miami Marlins$118,078,000$4,373,259
8.San Francisco Giants$117,620,683$3,920,689
9.St. Louis Cardinals$110,300,862$3,939,316
10.Milwaukee Brewers$97,653,944$3,755,920

What a great fucking trend for this sport. If you're not rich, you can't be successful. I hate it when shit like this happens in a sport, and baseball is probably the worst offender. This sport needs a fucking salary cap.

Seriously. How fucking covenient that the four teams left are the four highest tv ratings of the eight that were in it. Fuck Oakland, Cincinnati, Baltimore and especially D.C.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just dropping by to say that it's hilarious when Byrne whines about high payrolls and yet dickrides the Heat to infinity.

Also dropping by to say that I enjoyed watching Game 3 and Game of the Cards-Nats series.

Also dropping by to say ;_; Baltimore.

Just dropping by to say that it's hilarious when Byrne whines about high payrolls and yet dickrides the Heat to infinity.

Also dropping by to say that I enjoyed watching Game 3 and Game of the Cards-Nats series.

Also dropping by to say ;_; Baltimore.
I'm not proud of the state of the NBA either. As I've stated hundreds of times on this forum, I follow LeBron regardless of his team. I personally think the NBA is in a worse state than the MLB right now, but that's not the issue at hand right now.

Imo, if the Cardinals win the WS, we can just add another * to this season, because I don't even think they should be in it due to the stupid 1 game playoff wild card that probably won't be there next year. If it's there next year, than I'm not even going follow MLB because the playoffs will just be a joke.

Top 10 Payrolls in Baseball:

1.New York Yankees$197,962,289$ 6,186,321
2.Philadelphia Phillies$174,538,938$5,817,964

What a great fucking trend for this sport. If you're not rich, you can't be successful. I hate it when shit like this happens in a sport, and baseball is probably the worst offender. This sport needs a fucking salary cap.
Cry more about it, why don't you. I love this system. It guarantees, regardless of payroll, that we see the best of the best in the playoffs and no less. No stupid artificial "parity". A team builds a winner with what they have and no help from a stupid salary cap. Heck, three of the top four didn't even make the playoffs. I can't believe all you guys. This was hands down the greatest LDS since its inception, and all you can do is whine and complain and whine about all the teams making the playoffs....

Here's some cheese for y'alls' wine....

Tip your hat to all eight teams at least. I doubt we ever see October at such an intense and exciting level as this ever.

Cry more about it, why don't you. I love this system. It guarantees, regardless of payroll, that we see the best of the best in the playoffs and no less. No stupid artificial "parity". A team builds a winner with what they have and no help from a stupid salary cap. Heck, three of the top four didn't even make the playoffs. I can't believe all you guys. This was hands down the greatest LDS since its inception, and all you can do is whine and complain and whine about all the teams making the playoffs....
You're fucking pathetic. What it GUARANTEES is that teams like the Pirates and Cubs are absolutely DOOMED. They have ZERO CHANCE to ever win the World Series because they are at such a remarkable disadvantage in terms of money because the MLB is retarded and won't use a salary cap to help balance things. Frankly, if I were them, I would fucking secede from the MLB until something is done about it. THE ST. LOUIS CARDINALS, THE TEAM WITH THE LOWEST PAYROLL STILL LEFT IN THE PLAYOFFS, STILL PAYS DOUBLE THE MONEY THAT THE LOWEST TEAM PAYS (The Padres). The sport is pathetic in it's current state. You're just defending it because you're privileged enough to be a fan of Detroit which HAS A LOT OF MONEY so they can spend out of their assholes to make their team better than everyone else while organizations like the Padres have to use fucking double A players because they simply don't have enough money to get players like Prince Fielder. Stop being an ignorant asshole.

Can we please use the Braves and Medlen as an example to make anyone who dares to say the words Strasburg Shutdown between now and Spring training shut the fuck up. That's what you all wanted us to do. Save him for the playoffs. How'd that work for the Braves?

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
The Cubs have outspent every team in the NL Central over the past five seasons. In fact, their 2010 Opening Day payroll was $50 million more than the next-highest salaried team — the Cardinals.
@Byrne, using the Cubs is a BAD example, they have the money, they just don't use it correctly like the top 10 franchises. Guess they don't want to use it unless it becomes REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY Bad on the North Side

pookar

Banned deucer.
lets just point something out

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/salaries/_/name/sf/san-francisco-giants

player #1: overpaid free agent signing from 5 years ago. 19million a year.
#2, #3: home grown prospects given money they have earned through their "unpaid" rookie deals
#4: trade deadline player
#5: not even on the playoff roster (apparently he is but i dont think so. he blows anyway)
#6: trade deadline player

no, you probably wont be able to do this with the yankees. but if team owners WANT to spend more, and do spend more, and they are more successful, what the fuck is there to be mad at? be mad at the A's owner for not spending that extra dollar to field a better team.

not to mention, 6 of the top ten teams didnt even make the playoffs, TWO had losing records (not even close to .500). And 3/4 top teams didnt make the playoffs either.

you guys are all bickering children anyway have fun arguing over dumb shit instead of enjoying the sport

lets just point something out

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/salaries/_/name/sf/san-francisco-giants

player #1: overpaid free agent signing from 5 years ago. 19million a year.
#2, #3: home grown prospects given money they have earned through their "unpaid" rookie deals
#4: trade deadline player
#5: not even on the playoff roster (apparently he is but i dont think so. he blows anyway)
#6: trade deadline player

no, you probably wont be able to do this with the yankees. but if team owners WANT to spend more, and do spend more, and they are more successful, what the fuck is there to be mad at? be mad at the A's owner for not spending that extra dollar to field a better team.

not to mention, 6 of the top ten teams didnt even make the playoffs, TWO had losing records (not even close to .500). And 3/4 top teams didnt make the playoffs either.

you guys are all bickering children anyway have fun arguing over dumb shit instead of enjoying the sport
1. Teams like A's DO NOT HAVE the money required to spend what the Yankees spend. If you cannot see that you should not be on this board, you should in a Special Education class.

2. Who cares if some of the super high payrolls underperformed like hell? What matters is that one of the top payrolls WILL win the World Series, because that's all that's left.

pookar

Banned deucer.
who do you fucking think owns these teams? are you that dense? millionaires own these teams

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lew_Wolff#Criticism

He owns two fucking professional teams, and he is only the A's Co-Owner.

"Meanwhile, Wolff has been criticized for enjoying the team's profits and rising market value, even as its fan base becomes increasingly frustrated."

Get your head out of your fucking ass before you think about talking about shit you are uninformed about. Money exists. It chooses not to be spent. Nobody is asking any other team to spend 200 million. Nobody is forced to, baseball is a business too.

Reds spent 76m. Nats spent 80m. Orioles 80m. Athletics? 49m. If you are really that naive to think that these millionaire owners dont have money to spend then maybe you are the one who belongs in remedial school. Holy fuck. Why the fuck do you own a sports team if you aren't making a profit?

Byrne christ calm down. Why the hell do all of your post contain personal insults the instant someone disagrees with you?

I don't think that the point to be made should be about players underperforming, it's that generally, the largest contracts are the least efficient. Generally, when players hit free agency, they're actually off (or will be incredibly soon) peak years, because of how the rookie contracts are structured in MLB.

You wanna talk about a league without parity and MLB? That's fine, but the salary cap isn't how you should talk about it. Sure, it doesn't help. But very rarely will a team be able to flex their muscles and instantly destroy all opposition. It doesn't happen like that. Most of these teams do a good job managing, as well. That's why you saw teams like the Cubs and Mets falter, even when they were spending money. They weren't well managed. That's why you see teams like Oakland and Tampa doing well, even with limited assets. They make the best decisions. (Also forgotten here is that for everyone except the Dodgers and Yankees is that the luxury tax line acts as a rough salary cap, but whatever) If you wanna talk about MLB trying to ruin parity, talk about the new CBA that ruined the drafting conditions.

So yes, money has a marginal advantage that is inherent, but the way baseball works requires much more than that. You can't just overpay players instantly and expect the tides to turn. The Marlins proved that here. They had no backbone of players from their previous roster, but a few overpriced commodities and faltered.

Also, why does it matter who won the playoff series. You can't predict the coin flip. Just as easily as you said that "oh no only top spending teams are going", we could've had Oakland, Baltimore, Washington, and Cinci. Incredibly small sequences of events stopped the other thing from happening. The playoffs are luck, so don't try and make a dumb case based off of it.

You're fucking pathetic. What it GUARANTEES is that teams like the Pirates and Cubs are absolutely DOOMED. They have ZERO CHANCE to ever win the World Series because they are at such a remarkable disadvantage in terms of money because the MLB is retarded and won't use a salary cap to help balance things. Frankly, if I were them, I would fucking secede from the MLB until something is done about it. THE ST. LOUIS CARDINALS, THE TEAM WITH THE LOWEST PAYROLL STILL LEFT IN THE PLAYOFFS, STILL PAYS DOUBLE THE MONEY THAT THE LOWEST TEAM PAYS (The Padres). The sport is pathetic in it's current state. You're just defending it because you're privileged enough to be a fan of Detroit which HAS A LOT OF MONEY so they can spend out of their assholes to make their team better than everyone else while organizations like the Padres have to use fucking double A players because they simply don't have enough money to get players like Prince Fielder. Stop being an ignorant asshole.
When the Padres are fighting for a playoff spot next year, I'd like a word with you... Be prepared to eat crow.....

Edit: Dang, some of you guys don't understand just how special this year's playoffs have been... MLB Network just had a list of all the accomplishments so far... Crap ton of impressive feats accomplished...

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If anyone thinks money doesn't make a large difference they are kidding themselves. Yes, you can win with a lower payroll or lose with a higher payroll, but it's not like all low-budget teams make perfect decisions all the time and all high spenders waste a ton of money. The Cardinals in particular have been pretty damn smart with their moves, and look where they are now.

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
Top 10 Payrolls in Baseball:

1.New York Yankees$197,962,289$ 6,186,321
2.Philadelphia Phillies$174,538,938$5,817,964

lol, this post again. payroll disparities are what made the Reds cough up a 2-0 series lead? payroll disparities are what made Justin Verlander 4 hit the As? payroll disparities made the Nationals give back a 6 run lead? yup, just institute a salary cap. all of that inequality, magically wiped away.

contrary to the beliefs of everyone who espouses a salary cap in baseball, they don't actually make poor teams richer.

if you capped payrolls at $150M, the As and Rays are still going to spend $50M. maybe they'd get some FAs they wouldn't normally get, but you're talking still bottom of the barrel. there are 28 other teams that spend more and still have a leg up on revenue/willingness-to-spend.

all you do by implementing a salary cap is take money away from the players and give it the owners. even then, the Yankees (or Dodgers or Red Sox et cetera) can still leverage their massively successful brand and media market by investing more in international markets, new facilities, better scouting, et cetera. payroll disparities are a symptom of massively different media markets. no team is ever going to be able to match the money-making abilities of a highly popular New York team (unless you have an owner who is more than willing to spend out of his pocket). additionally, MLB has something of a soft salary cap in place with its updated luxury tax (and we've now seen remarks from multiple clubs, including the Phillies, Red Sox, and Yankees, about how they want to stay under that threshold because the monetary penalties are now punitive).

having money helps, being smart helps more. money can and will gloss over a lot of problems on a roster but the advantage extends beyond that. baseball could definitely use competitive balancing, but just shouting about salary caps is silly. propose an idea that actually WORKS. in the mean time, the current system is fine. remember, part of the responsibility for these low spending teams is on the owners. they are all fabulously wealthy and all receive substantial money from revenue sharing (Pirates and Marlins got something like $50M in 2010). what did they do with that? pocketed it.

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
salary cap salary floor problems solved
then you have teams grossly overpaying for talent at the low end of the spectrum to satisfy some arbitrary number and underpaying at the top end. once again, to use the As as the example. they have a payroll of $49M. if the salary floor was $60M, how do you think they would feel about having to pay their players $11M more for no reason? at that point you're forcing them to sign bad FAs at expensive contracts or overpay their current players (the reason their payroll is so low is because of all the rookies) when they previously didn't have to.

a salary floor is grossly unfair to owners and a salary cap does not fight the vast revenue disparities between franchises (not to mention being grossly unfair to players). the solution isn't that simple otherwise baseball would have done it.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Derek Jeter: broken ankle, out for remainder of postseason.

Will they finally move A-Rod back to Shortstop and have Chavez' bat playing 3rd?

And regarding Byrne's rant, I would like to see a salary cap. But here is a list of the teams with highest attendance this year:

1 Philadelphia
2 NY Yankees
3 Texas
4 San Francisco
5 LA Dodgers
6 St. Louis
7 LA Angels
8 Boston
9 Detroit
10 Chicago Cubs
11 Milwaukee

gee, what a coincidence. The teams with more fans have more money to spend on better players which brings in more fans which brings in more money etc etc etc

Can't believe Detroit won. The league will obviously let the Yankees win this series though, they spend the most money.

Seriously though, Jeter out fucking sucks.. I look forward to that 1 stop the backup SS will be unable to perform.

NY had their chances.. the crowd was wanting it as well, just fucked up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)