Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

I really like all the new forms, but a little disappointed they decided to keep the legendary birds part-Flying. I also feel like Zapdos's and Moltres's signature moves should have Paralysis and Burn effects, like Articuno's Freezes. We don't have nearly enough off-type secondary effects like that, and it would have been neat. Based on the descriptions of those moves, I sort of expected them to be dual-type like Flying Press but honestly I'm glad they haven't gone down that route anymore.

And last thought: Do people really think DP remakes are in Gen 8. Dialga and Palkia are confirmed as raid bosses. Wouldn’t that be a bizarre choice for marketing to make the mascots of a remake avalible in the current games? It would remove a selling point of a remake.
Meh, I have no idea if we’ll get Sinnoh remakes or not, but I doubt GF and Nintendo care about that kind of stuff. People used to give 1001 reasons why Hoenn remakes weren’t ‘needed’ in Gen 6, until they got made anyway. The games will sell, regardless of whether or not people already have a Palkia and Dialga (besides, they could do a Platinum remake instead!).

Here's a comparison of how many Pokemon the Galarian birds share their type with, vs how many they would if they had dropped the Flying type instead. NFEs are separated from the rest with a vertical line to allow for comparisons between both absolute number and functional number.

|

|

if i had one.png

|

|

Well, ponyta does evolve in Psychic-Fairy, while Slowbro evolves in Psychic/Poison and ??? (we don't know the typing of Slowking, but after seeing the art I am actually somewhat confident in Psychic/Ghost)
They both evolve into a dual-types Pokémon, so it probably did not matter much to GF in the first place.
Rapidash not only becomes Psychic-Fairy, it is Psychic-Fairy in the same generation we got another Psychic-Fairy line and is in the game with the OTHER Psychic-Fairy line.

So I don't think they did any of this to avoid type overlap, I think they really did just ... want them all the keep the flying type...I guess maybe they see the "bird" aspect as more important to their identity?
To be fair, Galarian Rapidash is the only Psychic/Fairy to be a physical attacker, and has Swords Dance and pretty good Physical Movepool. It’s also the fastest of the Psychic/Fairy, though I agree the type is starting to be overused.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Something interesting I'm wondering about: Will the IoA mons be considered parts of the Galar dex? Or will they be in some weird "in the region but not in the actual Pokedex" limbo like the Mirage Islands/Battle Zone/Island Scan Pokemon?

If the former, this'll be the Luxray family's first time in a regional Pokedex since DPP!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Going to go over the major reveals via going through the website, but first some thoughts from a few things the trailer showed:

0:23: Looks like as soon as we get to The Isle of Armor we'll meet the version exclusive Gym Trainer right away.
0:55: Guessing Kubfu isn't the only Pokemon we'll be getting from Mustard's Dojo. Do we get both Bulbasaur and Squirtle or only one of them?
2:23: So this is an interesting scene. It looks like the Galarian Bird Trio are fighting each other around the tree, maybe for control of the tree?

Onto the site pages:

New Pokemon:
  • Page updated with Singature Moves and details on their Signature Ability. Plus going to include Gigantamax Urshifu's info here.
  • Single Strike gets "Wicked Blow" that always lands a Critical Hit. So Dark-type version of Storm Throw?
  • Rapid Strike gets "Surging Strikes" that also always lands a Critical Hit, though also hits 3 times? So Water-type Storm Throw except each strike is 20 Power?
  • Unseen Fist assures Urshifu's attacks that make direct contact do damage, even if the target uses Protect. I'm going to guess it also ignores Abilities, though did they also take Held Items into account?
  • Both Gigantamax Urshifu's G-Max Moves are an extension of this. Single Strike's G-Max One Blow (Dark-type) and G-Max Rapid Flow (Water-type) have Unseen Fist's effect (since Max Moves & G-Max Moves don't make direct contact) which even breaks though Max Guard. Tanks beware, hyper offense just got itelf a new pinch hitter, emphasis on the "hit".

• So we finally get to fully see G-Slowbro and as several images have predicted, the Shellder is now on its left hand (thus giving Shellder a 4th evolution form, guessing G-Slowking will give it a 5th). However, instead of just having a club arm, it's also arm cannon ala Megaman.
  • How does this happen? Shellder bites G-Slowpoke's front foot which causes a chemical reaction with the Galarica spice built up in its body, making it Poison/Psychic. That doesn't really tell us what the new Item it'll need for this to happen, maybe a Galarica Bracelet?
  • It too gets both a Signature Ability and Signature Move (which I guess means G-Slowking will get the same).
  • Ability is Quick Draw and though they don't explain exactly what it does gives flavor text: when facing a stronger opponent it moves first. Now by stronger opponent do they mean by Level or has something to do with stats (or stat increases)? And by moving first does it mean its moves get increased priority or does its Speed stat increase? While the latter question isn't that vital, the former I think is as that will determine how useful this Ability will be.
  • Signature Move is Shell Side Arm and it's a Poison-type Photon Geyser, switching to the category that'll do more damage. And I would not have thought the first expy of Photon Geyser (or at least its effect) would be from a Megaman-like Slowbro.

• G-Venusaur's G-Max Move is G-Max Vine Lash and G-Blastoise is G-Max Cannonade. Now in an upcoming JAPE I discussed what their effects could be and suggested they could mimick the effects of the other Pledge Moves combo like how G-Charizard's G-Max effect is Grass+Fire Pledge. I said G-Venusaur could be Water+Grass and Blastoise could be Fire+Water. Well, I forgot to take GF's laziness into account as instead of this possible clever reference instead had them copy G-Charizard's G-Max effect.
  • Also G-Blastoise is the Death Star apparently.

• Regieleki, really? What the heck is "Eleki"? *Does Google Search* Okay, so "Eleki" is a genre of Japanese guitar music comparable to US's 60s Surf Rock music. Uh huh... at least Regidrago is a more understandable.
  • So, while Regieleki doesn't go into any deep lore aside ancient people binding it, Regidrago does. Regidrago was made by Regigigas, trying to make a Pokemon from crystllized dragon energy but only was able to make the head that Regidrago can fold into. I can only assume this means Regieleki was also made by Regigigas. So, why did Regigigas make two more "titans" in Galar and out of energy instead of physical material?
  • And of course both come with their own Signature Abilities and Moves. Everyone and their grandma are getting both Signature Abilities and Moves...
  • Their Abilities are Transistor and Dragon's Maw, not going to insult your intelligence by telling you which gets what. Going to guess its probably a Type boosting Ability, maybe something that also affects allies (like a more powerful Battery/Power Spot).
  • Signature Moves are Thunder Cage and Dragon Energy... and some confusion for me comes in. So, they're both Special Attackers? What is their stat spread like? They must be completely different from the other Titans. Oh, and the effects of their Signature Moves is neat. Curious if they'll give the other Titans some Signature Moves, they too are getting focus in the Crowned Tundra DLC.

• Before I begin, I want to say that I actually sort of get what they were going for with the design aesthetic and the Type changes. Well, I don't know why they decided to make them "edgier", maybe Crowned Tundra's story goes over that, but for at least why they changed them to the Type they did I can see where they were going. I will say some work better than others, and if anything these three are yet another reason why GF may want to consider Triple Types.
  • We'll begin with the one I think works the best: G-Articuno. Articuno is the most graceful looking of the birds so what other Type could give it that appearance? This Type would also need to be able to imitate the Ice-types ability to "freeze" things in place. Psychic certainly fits both those criteria, it can make G-Articuno look graceful by having it more levitate than flying (though since it's still Flying-type doesn't need the Levitate Ability) and the anime loves to show Psychic-types stopping Pokemon and people from moving as if they were frozen. It's a clever switch up by showing similarities between two Types you wouldn't before compare so closely.
  • From best to worst... so here's what I think happened. When designing an Electric/Fighting-type in a past gen, a horrible tragedy happened to one of the GF higher-ups. Connecting the accdient to the Type combo, whenever they try making an Electric/Fighting-type said has violent traumatic episodes that it's just easier to scrap the Type than deal with the higher-up's freak outs. They keep trying to make an Electric/Fighting every gen or so to see if the higher-up has gotten over it, but no dice. That's my only explanation why we've yet again dodged having a Electric/Fighting-type, this time via G-Zapdos.
  • Jokes aside, I can see what they were kind of going for(?). Pokemon has a long time associated "thunder" with the Electric-type when really it shouldn't as thunder is just a loud noise. Well, here is an example of GF disconnecting that association! Instead of being a Lightning Bird, it's now a Thunder Bird. It now runs super fast, no doubt loudly dashing by with thunderous footsteps and creating loud sonic booms behind it (hence its Signature Move). Once again, a clever switch up of what a "Thunder Bird" would be if not linked to storms and lightning... BUT STILL, there's no reason for it to have kept its Flying-type and lose its Electric-type (especially after mentioning its wings atrophied and is now a poor flier; granted that doesn't really stop the Doduo and Archen family from being Flying-types). Also why is G-Zapdos's species the "Strong Leg" Pokemon instead of a negative emotion like the other two? I could see it being the "Tenacious" Pokemon.
  • G-Moltres is in the middle. Whenever darkness/evil power is not drawn as a black cloud it's often drawn as a dark flame. Thus, when G-Moltres fell to its darker side, it still remains on fire but not from actual fire but dark/evil energy in the form of flames and smoke. It works, maybe not the most original concept (even its Signature Move isn't original, it sounds like a direct copy of Dark Pulse) but I can see it being Dark-type where as G-Zapdos is really only Fighting because they needed it to have strong running legs.
  • Shockingly they don't get new Signature Abilities, but their Abilities do share a theme of increasing their likely highest stat if they undergo a stat decrease or loss of HP. Going to guess, much like with their new "edgier" lore, it has to do with them now being in direct competition with each other over the tree.
  • ... WAIT, Sweet Arceus I just realized their primary Types are the Type Triangle players have been saying the Starters should have as a secondary Type once! Psychic, Fighting, & Dark! TAKE MY MONEY!

Anyway, this took a lot of my time so tomorrow I'll go deeper into what features & characters the Expansions have we were just told about!

Signature Moves are Thunder Cage and Dragon Energy... and some confusion for me comes in. So, they're both Special Attackers? What is their stat spread like? They must be completely different from the other Titans. Oh, and the effects of their Signature Moves is neat. Curious if they'll give the other Titans some Signature Moves, they too are getting focus in the Crowned Tundra DLC.
I think hope that Dragon Energy will be physical for the same bullshit reasoning that Sacred Fire and Land's Wrath are physical.

New trailer aired! Nothing much new, aside from one thing -- Skarmory confirmed

I see these two:
Wailord
Skarmory

And have read someone else here saw these in a trailer:

Scrafty ?
Oranguru ?

Any confirmation for which expansion they come from? Reason I ask, is the trailer seems to be for the expansion pass and not for any one DLC?

I see these two:
Wailord
Skarmory

And have read someone else here saw these in a trailer:

Scrafty ?
Oranguru ?

Any confirmation for which expansion they come from? Reason I ask, is the trailer seems to be for the expansion pass and not for any one DLC?
Wailord, Scrafty, and Oranguru are already in the Galar Dex. Meanwhile, Skarmory is for the Isle of Armor DLC because it is seen in front of one of the Towers of Two Fists

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
Regieleki, really? What the heck is "Eleki"? *Does Google Search* Okay, so "Eleki" is a genre of Japanese guitar music comparable to US's 60s Surf Rock music. Uh huh... at least Regidrago is a more understandable.
I don't think this is the case, I think the eki part may refer to raigeki, meaning to be struck by a torpedo (weird) OR to be struck by lightning. I admit it the name doesn't flow well but I think it being an amalgam of Regi, Electric and a word literally meaning lightning strike makes more sense then... whatever that is. @@

Regieleki, really? What the heck is "Eleki"? *Does Google Search* Okay, so "Eleki" is a genre of Japanese guitar music comparable to US's 60s Surf Rock music. Uh huh... at least Regidrago is a more understandable.
I don't think this is the case, I think the eki part may refer to raigeki, meaning to be struck by a torpedo (weird) OR to be struck by lightning. I admit it the name doesn't flow well but I think it being an amalgam of Regi, Electric and a word literally meaning lightning strike makes more sense then... whatever that is. @@
"Eleki" is actually just short for "electric" in Japanese.

Something interesting I'm wondering about: Will the IoA mons be considered parts of the Galar dex? Or will they be in some weird "in the region but not in the actual Pokedex" limbo like the Mirage Islands/Battle Zone/Island Scan Pokemon?

If the former, this'll be the Luxray family's first time in a regional Pokedex since DPP!
I feel like it'll be very comparable to Alola's different Pokédexes.

I’ve been thinking, assuming that Legendary Pokémon will be catchable, that means that Birds, Beasts, Tower Duo, Creation Trio, Genies, and Island Guardians will have their HA avalible for use in Cartridge Formats in years, with notably the Genies and Island Guardians not being avalible since Dream Radar as well as being the first time Telephaty is avalible on the Island Guardians.
I very much doubt they'll do this -- they'll probably all have fixed abilities, much like boss Mewtwo IIRC could not have Unnerve. Which is a shame, because Lugia and Ho-oh are pretty much balanced around their hidden abilities which have never been legal in competitive play, and allowing them could be a very nice shake-up for the inevitable Restricted Cup.

Unseen Fist assures Urshifu's attacks that make direct contact do damage, even if the target uses Protect. I'm going to guess it also ignores Abilities
I don't see any reason to make this assumption. These have always been distinct effects, and I don't think there are any effects which have done both outside of No Guard.

The more likely "unwritten effect" is that contact moves ignore Substitute, since most Protect-ignoring moves do. In short, Urshifu will negate most of the current ways to stall out Dynamax. With it being confirmed to be legal in VGC (and thus presumably 570-600 BST), it could make things very interesting. Assuming they are identical besides typing (which they so far appear to be), which one do we think will be used more? I reckon Rapid Strike, because it can benefit from rain and doesn't have that quad weakness to Fairy.

Overall, I like Urshifu a lot. It feels like another iteration of what they were going for mechanically with Hoopa.

If I recall correctly, the new areas have been confirmed to have their own Pokedexes.

---

On the subject of the Regis...

1) The continued absence of any mention of Regigigas makes me think they're going to do something interesting with it. I wonder if they'll get rid of Slow Start somehow? Either by having the new Regis unlock something else as a Hidden Ability, or by giving it a Galarian form which either dispenses with the deterimental ability concept or has a different downside-ability. The latter seems more likely to me, unless they want to add Regigigas to the usual competition banlist.

2) What if they *don't* have different stat spreads to the other titans? What if those 200 base stats that Regice and Regirock get put in offensive stats, or we see something close? Even if they remain super slow, that would make them very threatening, and it could be balanced by the fact that both new titans are of types with common immunities.

3) I'm pleased that we're getting proper puzzle areas for the Regis. Aside from... the Regis in ORAS... they've been half-assing legendary encounters since gen 6. Too bad the other dens still seem quite lazy, but I can appreciate that the sheer number of legendaries we can find makes it somewhat impractical to design encounters for them all, and it's more important than usual to have them all there because so many people are opting not to bother with previous gen transfers and/or don't have previous gen games. I really hope they don't repeat USUM by having the encountered legendaries be basically randomised; ORAS's setup at least made it practical to encounter a specific legendary that you were looking for.

I very much doubt they'll do this -- they'll probably all have fixed abilities, much like boss Mewtwo IIRC could not have Unnerve. Which is a shame, because Lugia and Ho-oh are pretty much balanced around their hidden abilities which have never been legal in competitive play, and allowing them could be a very nice shake-up for the inevitable Restricted Cup.
I see where you're coming from, but on same note, I think that this is a good way for them to actually release "current gen" HA legendaries without requiring a ridicolous amount of limited-time events for when Natdex and GS cup VGC laps start.

If you think of it, we havent had VGC-legal HA legendaries for.... 3 gens? I think the only legal HA legendary in gen 7 was Lugia from that Japanese only event... and .... that's it. I don't remind if gen 6 had any legal HA legendary at all, but correct me if I am wrong there.

They'd still be pretty difficult to obtain (maintaining the rarity of HAs) considering you have to go through whatever that co-op system is AND highroll the HA %, combined with likely needing to "fix" nature and IVs of the legendary you caught, and with ridicolously low % of a shiny (though, they could even be shinylocked for what we know) but at least they would be available.

1) The continued absence of any mention of Regigigas makes me think they're going to do something interesting with it. I wonder if they'll get rid of Slow Start somehow? Either by having the new Regis unlock something else as a Hidden Ability, or by giving it a Galarian form which either dispenses with the deterimental ability concept or has a different downside-ability. The latter seems more likely to me, unless they want to add Regigigas to the usual competition banlist.
I am really suspecting either a galarian form, a dedicated Gigamax, or both.

Expecially the fact that the Regis were the *only* legendary so far shown outside of a Dynamax Raid or trainer battle is giving me a huge vibe that collecting all 5 regis will lead to this new Regigigas ... expecially because if they don't, why bother keeping it as the only unconfirmed legendary so far.

I know both my statements can be countered with "GF and logic in same sentence?", but hey, let me hope there ok? :P

edit: By the way, there's something I wonder about Urshifu: we know he'll be allowed in VGC, what I do wonder is, will it count as regular legendary, so be allowed right away like Tapus for example, OR will it account as restricted so only in GS cup?
Because one thing is to have that protect-ignoring monster around with regular pokemon, another one is to have it when the powerlevel is significantly higher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)