Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Probably. The regional forms of all the Pokémon have been programmed despite the majority not being catchable in SwSh. Ash-Greninja should follow the same pattern.

Speaking of Regional Variants, I’m surprised they have not revealed anymore other than the Slowpoke line. I’m hoping there are going to be Gen 4 ones because I am annoyed that Unova got Regional Variants before Sinnoh did despite Sinnoh being older.
Wouldn't be too surprised if the only regional variants are the Slowpoke line, the legendary birds and mayyyyyybe Regigigas since they've conspicuously avoided showing it & it now has 2 more Regi under its command.

It could be they're hiding them, of course, but I dunno. Seems like you could have shown off one other fairly safely.
I've actually thought for a while that Ash Gren might not return. While he's able to be transferred between games, he still feels similar to Cosplay Pikachu.
By virtue of being transferrable, he is nothing like cosplay pikachu's situation.
if they didn't want it able to be brought forward it had 4 chances to prevent this:
1. dont let it be traded
2. don't let it go into bank
3. dont let it go into home
4. go into home but have it rolled back into a normal version of Greninja. This what automatically happens with USUM's Totem Pokemon, incidentally.

But it could be traded, placed in bank, transferred to Home and it's still Battle Bond Greninja so like. & unlike the megas & ultra necrozma, it's not linked to a thrown away mechanic. There really isn't an actual reason for it to never be allowed

By virtue of being transferrable, he is nothing like cosplay pikachu's situation.
if they didn't want it able to be brought forward it had 4 chances to prevent this:
1. dont let it be traded
4. go into home but have it rolled back into a normal version of Greninja. This what automatically happens with USUM's Totem Pokemon, incidentally.

But it could be traded, placed in bank, transferred to Home and it's still Battle Bond Greninja so like. & unlike the megas & ultra necrozma, it's not linked to a thrown away mechanic. There really isn't an actual reason for it to never be allowed
I dunno man. I know it's very likely that it'll be transferable to gen 8, but it still feels enough like a special one-time thing that I'm not confident enough to say with certainty that it will available with regular Greninja.

I dunno man. I know it's very likely that it'll be transferable to gen 8, but it still feels enough like a special one-time thing that I'm not confident enough to say with certainty that it will available with regular Greninja.
if we can't ever transfer it out then it gets to rot there for 15+ years until they decide to go back to alola or something.

meanwhile:

The thing is, Ash-Greninja has a separate ID on Home, and its own entry, which on its own shows how it's meant to stay.

Note that same happens for Lycanroc Dusk, which also probably will forever stay as """"mythical"""" (unless they make Own Tempo Rockruff available regularly in gen 8, since tecnically it's breedable otherwise)

Last edited:
1. dont let it be traded

This really made me realise that Ash-Greninja will be allowed to exist in a Non-Mega Non-Z-Move world.

Just... damn, damn this is so funny to me.

The thing is, Ash-Greninja has a separate ID on Home, and its own entry, which on its own shows how it's meant to stay.

Note that same happens for Lycanroc Dusk, which also probably will forever stay as """"mythical"""" (unless they make Own Tempo Rockruff available regularly in gen 8, since tecnically it's breedable otherwise)
They should really just consolidate the Lycanrocs into evolving by time, with the Own Tempo Rockruffs just being kept for compatability reasons, but judging by Cosmog no this will inexplicably still be version-based time-based (for midday & midnight) and ability time-based (for dusk)

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
They should really just consolidate the Lycanrocs into evolving by time, with the Own Tempo Rockruffs just being kept for compatability reasons, but judging by Cosmog no this will inexplicably still be version-based time-based (for midday & midnight) and ability time-based (for dusk)
That would involve actually changing the code, which apparently is built somewhat like a Jenga tower according to rumours. One day somebody does a little fix to evolve Rockruff based on time, and suddenly Weepinbell evolves when exposed to Zap Plate, Kyogre finds itself in the Mineral Egg Group, Attract only works on genderless Pokémon, Rawst Berry causes the holder to faint immediately, and Choice Band only works on Bug-type moves.

That would involve actually changing the code, which apparently is built somewhat like a Jenga tower according to rumours. One day somebody does a little fix to evolve Rockruff based on time, and suddenly Weepinbell evolves when exposed to Zap Plate, Kyogre finds itself in the Mineral Egg Group, Attract only works on genderless Pokémon, Rawst Berry causes the holder to faint immediately, and Choice Band only works on Bug-type moves.
I know you're joking but they've already had to change the code for certain evolutions in SWSH so...

Slightly off-topic (but still in topic enough to be mentioned in this thread)
What pokémon are you hoping/thinking will get in?
I have a idea based on my own wants/predictions and it's a little on the 100++ side of things, but here goes.

Ratata line, Geodudue Line, Carbink, Diancie (transfer only), Sandshrew line, Nosepass line, Crabrawler line, Yungoos line, Comfey, Skitty line, Makuhita line, Slakoth line (GF knows we want it), the Unova fossils, the Kanto fossils, the Hoenn fossils, Tynamo line, Bagon Line, Dratini line, Carvanah line, Surskit line, heracross, pinsir, buneary line, mankey line, hoenn starters, Magearna (transfer only).

Pokemon count : 66 :C

This is very optimistic.

I still want Glameow and Petilil to get in because of completion's sake. I'm still baffled that Whimsicott's in the game but Lilligant's not. I mean we already got a new Cotton Pokemon in this gen, so why did Whimsicott even come back? VGC shenanigans? (I mean we also have Manectric in the main game while they introduced a new fast Electric dog so :mehowth:)

On the other hand, while Stunky being a Glameow counterpart has slightly died down the connection is still there.

I still want Glameow and Petilil to get in because of completion's sake. I'm still baffled that Whimsicott's in the game but Lilligant's not. I mean we already got a new Cotton Pokemon in this gen, so why did Whimsicott even come back? VGC shenanigans? (I mean we also have Manectric in the main game while they introduced a new fast Electric dog so :mehowth:)

On the other hand, while Stunky being a Glameow counterpart has slightly died down the connection is still there.
There's also Weedle since only Caterpie's in the game!

Edit: In fact, out of curiosity's sake; I decided to go through the list of currently available & currently known upcoming Pokémon and see which counterparts aren't accounted for...

Weedle (Caterpie)
Sandshrew-Alola (Vulpix-Alola)
Jigglypuff (Clefairy?)
Bellsprout (Oddish)
Grimer (Koffing)
Jynx (Electabuzz & Magmar)
Pinsir (Scyther)
Heracross (Pinsir through Scyther)
Miltank (Tauros)
Poochyena (Zigzagoon?)
Shuppet (Duskull)
Bagon (Beldum?)
Glameow (Stunky)
Regigigas (Regis)
Lillipup (Purrloin?)
Petilil (Cottonee)
Clauncher (Skrelp)
Tyrunt (Amaura)

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I would be shocked if they ever give Jynx anything at this point. Mega, Evolution, Regional, Gigantamax, whatever. It's pokemon they keep around because she's legacy and they never leave anything behind, but I don't think they want to directly draw attention to her.
At this point I think they are afraid of giving Jynx anything special because of the controversies that had surrounded it in the past.
I wonder if that's a similar reason why the recent Pokedexes and a lot of Galar's technology is Rotom focused instead of the more logical choice of the Porygon family. Instead of the Pokemon purposely built to interface with technology they use a part Ghost-type who likes to cause the technology they possess to malfunction. Of course, Rotom was never connected with an incident that caused hundreds of Japanese kids to have a seizure. Like sure Pokemon Masters has a Porygon Phone but that's not made by GF.

Yet still Porygon got not one but two evolutions, I guess being involved in an incident that hospitalized kids isn't as bad as being mislabeled as a racist figure.

Yet still Porygon got not one but two evolutions, I guess being involved in an incident that hospitalized kids isn't as bad as being mislabeled as a racist figure.
I am afraid that the incident might be forgotten or not known at all (it usually isn't even known outside of the dedicated fanbases or people who randomly read of it on trivia sites), while the implications of Jinx's appearance are... very easy to notice if you're willing.

I do agree with Siggu that likely Jynx is purposely "not brought in spotlight" to avoid any potential repeat of the original controversy (plus I mean... with what's going on literally right now in USA, this'd definitely be one of the worst moment to risk bringing it up again)

I wonder if that's a similar reason why the recent Pokedexes and a lot of Galar's technology is Rotom focused instead of the more logical choice of the Porygon family. Instead of the Pokemon purposely built to interface with technology they use a part Ghost-type who likes to cause the technology they possess to malfunction. Of course, Rotom was never connected with an incident that caused hundreds of Japanese kids to have a seizure. Like sure Pokemon Masters has a Porygon Phone but that's not made by GF.

Similarly, the only appearance of the porygon line in the show is an extremely minor cameo of porygon-z. I can't say whether the punishment fits the crime, but we all need to remeber that porygon was simply there, and the event in question was pikachu's responsibility. As such, punishing porygon for said event is a clear miscarriage of justice.

Porygon's "crime" is limited to the anime, specifically one that only aired in Japan. It will likely never show up in the anime again, outside of cameos, because getting another "Porygon Episode" especially after so long will focus on the conversation on what happened before. But it just showing up in the games or TCG is whatever; there wasn't any issue there.
Jynx's issue is inherent to her design, which is universal. Frankly I'm still shocked that Advanced Generation episode ever aired considering some episodes from the first series are banned from all sets

Related to this I also suspect if Alakazam ever got a regional form, Kadabra would not. Uri Geller's presence is still felt to this day, seemingly. Only pokemon to still evolve if it holds an everstone, it hasn't shown up in the anime since 2005 (interestingly, Jynx also last appeared in 2006) and there hasn't been a Kadabra card since Skyridge in 2003. Even Jynx still gets cards these days (though never a EX/GX/V)

Related to this I also suspect if Alakazam ever got a regional form, Kadabra would not. Uri Geller's presence is still felt to this day, seemingly. Only pokemon to still evolve if it holds an everstone, it hasn't shown up in the anime since 2005 (interestingly, Jynx also last appeared in 2006) and there hasn't been a Kadabra card since Skyridge in 2003. Even Jynx still gets cards these days (though never a EX/GX/V)
Forgive my ignorance or slight OT, I hear that there's a "Kadabra issue" every so often but I never understood exactly what. Care to explain?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)