Project OM Mashup Megathread

STAAABmons announcement! :volcarona: Volcarona is now banned! :volcarona:

Regardless of whether anyone else votes, we have 11 out of 14 (since 2 users abstained) ban votes, which means Volcarona is now banned from STAAABmons. New code.

Code:
/tour new [Gen 8] STABmons, elimination
/tour rules !Obtainable Abilities, -Arena Trap, -Comatose, -Contrary, -Fluffy, -Fur Coat, -Gorilla Tactics, -Huge Power, -Ice Scales, -Illusion, -Imposter, -Innards Out, -Intrepid Sword, -Libero, -Moody, -Neutralizing Gas, -Parental Bond, -Protean, -Pure Power, -Shadow Tag, -Simple, -Stakeout, -Speed Boost, -Water Bubble, -Wonder Guard, -Shedinja, 2 Ability Clause, *Transform, *No Retreat, *V-create, -Hypnosis, -Sing, -Sleep Powder, +Darmanitan, +Darmanitan-Galar, +Dracovish, +Gengar, +Porygon-Z, -Keldeo, -Terrakion, -Wicked Blow, -zeraora, -chandelure, -melmetal, -magearna, -electrify, -volcarona
/tour autostart 10
/tour autodq 4
/tour name [Gen 8] STABmons + Almost Any Ability

Best Gal

once upon a time wont last forever
Now that Volc is dead, PrimSea Mantine is actually pretty bad, so I'm gonna post my team (and a replay) that used it.

here's the team, idea is stunfisk + mantine as a bizarre antimeta core that beat the common trends of jolteon and volcarona (at the time) but now with volc gone people are just running rotom n whatnot so all the fires eat mantine alive + they wont be running dual electric usually.

i wanted zam for speed control right away since i knew that when volc got +1 things got a little bit dicey for mantine, + nothing thats faster than zam is ever running a scarf in staaab rn lol so you can sort of sprint away sometimes? it's rare though since you typically will end up having to abandon the scarf on a blob

clef is cool but honestly vs phealers and steels you just evaporate so i strongly advise finding other fairies, that said it has a really awesome array of utility options and it matches up exceptionally vs the majority of fighting mons rn, pjab is a thing on a few of em and i suppose the ever-transient coba/luke are huge issues but honestly i just like clef lul

hydra n darm were last second additions i didnt rly think about cause i wanted to be able to deal with opposing primsea mons if they came up and hydra puts in work vs blissey and ttar, standard shit tho rly and i'm not sold on those two being the last slots necessarily, there's prolly better mons for it

fun team, but you'd p much have to start from the ground up to make it good i think

fun lil replay i snagged with it

i promise it used to be good though

ANNOUNCEMENT - DAILY TOUR SCHEDULE! - Starting on Monday, 21st of September at 6pm GMT+2

1) Explanation

As some of you may have noticed, I've been significantly less involved in staffing the room this past month due to other responsibilities. Thankfully our drivers and mods have been doing a good job of keeping the room alive in my absence. We feel however, that the current system (or lack thereof) leads to a lack of structure - tournaments are set pretty sporadically and usually to the request of users. This means that some days have a bunch of tours, while others have only one or two. In order to bridge the gap a little, we are setting up a daily tournament schedule, starting this Monday. Daily tournaments will be initially held at 6pm GMT+2, but this is subject to change. We're open to setting the time to 1-2 hours later, as this has been the time period of highest activity from our experience.

2) Schedule
The schedule looks like this:

Monday: Spotlight
Tuesday: STAAABmons
Wednesday: SNM (Unless spotlight)
Thursday: Spotlight
Friday: Unofficial Mashups Tour night (TS AAA, STAB CAMO, etc.)
Saturday: Oldgen and National Dex Tour night (G7 AAA ubers, G7 PH, ND staaab, ND Camomons, etc.)
Sunday: CAAAmomons (unless spotlight)
Because our goal is to use this as a way to bump up activity and not result in dead tournaments, we picked mashups that are already relatively popular within our playerbase (in case anyone is wondering, Mayhem isn't in here as it's set everyday - sometimes multiple times per day - and we are trying to focus on metas you can teambuild for). Friday and Saturday follow a slightly different structure. While for the other days of the week the plan is to only have 1 scheduled tour, on FriSat we would like to have a series of tournaments. For example on Friday it could look like this:
- Tour 1: TS AAA
- Tour 2: STABmons Camomons
- Tour 3: Camomons Inheritance, etc.

As for Saturday:
- Tour 1: Gen7 AAA Ubers
- Tour 2: National Dex Caaamomons
- Tour 3: Gen 7 Pure Hackmons, etc.

Therefore, on Friday and Saturday the tournaments aren't set in stone - they can be anything, as long as they fit the category proposed for each of the two days.

We are working on a way to create a bot tracked leaderboard for this, so we can track daily winners similarly to how OM room does it and possibly do something like monthly playoffs (inspired by RTC as it was pretty well received), but we havent found a good solution yet so this will come a bit later.

EDIT: Massive thanks to We Wuz Nidokangz (CringeMeta) for implementing a win tracking function for daily tournaments on Iolanthe, which means it can track the leaderboard.

Feel free to reply to this post if you have any feedback/input you would like to share.

Last edited:

Tranquility

If I can stop one heart from breaking
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hi y'all: While I have not been playing in tpp due to school and other endeavors, I still have played a decent enough to gather some thoughts on the current meta in STAAAB, and discuss some grievances or things I like right now.

:Chansey: / :Corviknight: / :Runerigus: /
- One thing I've noticed a lot of both in games and in practice is a shift towards a more bulky balance meta. While I do frequent these teams myself and think it's very good, the structures and cores have gotten very samey in a sense in terms of abilities (Regen/Chansey/Dauntless/PHeal). I don't have a problem with this personally, as they are vital parts of the meta, but the lack of deviation has dulled some of the uniqueness and creativity the tier can cleary have and overall has made it less fun for me to play.

/
/
- I think Voltturn is a really viable in this current state due to how splashable it can be especially on the bulky balance teams I mentioned Earlier. Don Vascus has showcased the power of Heliolisk for a while now, being a strong breaker with adaptability, and still is great even with more grounds and chansey usage, but two other mons have also seen an uptick in electric usage. Jolteon is a potent cleaner while lacking the spammable power in Boomburst makes up for it with a way better speed tier and ability to use electric terrain/voltage that I've liked using on some teams (thx Best Gal), while Magnezone while slower is the more effective breaker in terms of raw damage output with voltage, but lack of speed tier does hurt it compared to the other two. I think all 3 are similar enough in terms of functionality even if they have different roles to be in the same rank (B+ right now), but I do think lisk is slightly better if I had to say so.

/
- Trick is really good right now especially without the lack of roadblocks that megas and z moves had. manu 11 used a tricked scarf to bait volcaronas and urshifus while also crippling fatter mons. I've been testing recently too with magic guard togekiss sets as well, with trick sticky barb to cripple any chanseys or corviknights oncoming in to good success, as well as an darkshifu check too due to it's typing. Hopefully we can see more creativity with trick and switcharoo, as I think it can open up a lot of creative niches and sets.

/
- If you've been around the room or some discord servers, you would know I'm very adamantly against Surging Strikes. The ability to ignore stat and having effective power of 117.5~ish already makes it very good on it's own right. However being paired with tinted lens in my opinion pushes it over the edge. While there is more counter play in the form of water absorb and helmet prankster mons, I still find it to be a constraining force on team building overall due to it's limited counter play that it has. And while on the topic of it, I'd also like to talk about tinted lens for a little bit. Tinted lens is just a straight up broken ability or at the very least very very good. The problem that is holding it back in my opinion is that it's not splashable, as really only mons with >130 attack can abuse it, as they don't need the extra attack boost as much. It's often been sighted as the cherry of top for bans of the past and I see it being the same here, but on it's own i don't think it's broken enough to warrant a ban as of right now. With that being said, once dlc 2 comes and the power creep is jacked up, I expect to see more viable users of tinted and have more more of a reason for a ban, but for right now I think it's fine, more rather surging is the problem.

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
The August-September Mashup Spotlight has ended and we're starting up a new voting round.

This time we are featuring:

Shared Power Doubles
STABmons Inheritance
STABmons Ubers

Voting will take place in our OM Mashups Discord Server: https://discord.gg/sUNG4kg. Instructions can be found in #voting-channel for those wanting to vote.

Voting deadline is set for September 25th @ 11:59 PM EST

Voting for Mashups Spotlight has closed! The new spotlight is STABmons Inheritance!
SeptOct spotlight.png

The spotlight will run from Sept 26th to October 25th. Code can be found here. And here:

Code:
/tour new inheritance, elim
/tour rules STABmons Move Legality, *Acupressure, *Boomburst, *Belly Drum, *Bolt Beak, *Double Iron Bash, *Extreme Speed, *Fishious Rend, *Shell Smash, *Shift Gear, *Spore, *V-create, *Wicked Blow, *Eruption, *Water Spout, -Fluffy
/tour autostart 10
/tour autodq 7
/tour name STABmons Inheritance
In case anyone is wondering how exactly this mashup works, here's a short description (a shorter version is also accessible in our PS room, by typing /rfaq stabinh):

STABmons + Inheritance means donors pass on their STABmons legal moveset to another Pokemon. For example, Doublade inheriting from Mudsdale gets Stamina and all moves Mudsdale learns naturally as well as moves Mudsdale gets in STABmons such as Spikes and Shore up. In this case, Doublade does not have access to it's own moveset, nor can it use moves it would learn in STABmons.

:Doublade:
Mudsdale (Doublade) @ Eviolite
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Shore Up
- Body Press
- Spikes
- Earthquake

And another example:

:Chandelure:
Rotom-Heat (Chandelure) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moongeist Beam
- Blue Flare
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Have fun!

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Voting for Mashups Spotlight has closed! The new spotlight is STABmons Inheritance!
View attachment 278035
The spotlight will run from Sept 26th to October 25th. Code can be found here. And here:

Code:
/tour new inheritance, elim
/tour rules STABmons Move Legality, *Acupressure, *Belly Drum, *Bolt Beak, *Double Iron Bash, *Extreme Speed, *Fishious Rend, *Shell Smash, *Shift Gear, *Spore, *V-create, *Wicked Blow, *Eruption, *Water Spout, -Fluffy
/tour autostart 10
/tour autodq 7
/tour name STABmons Inheritance
In case anyone is wondering how exactly this mashup works, here's a short description (a shorter version is also accessible in our PS room, by typing /rfaq stabinh):

STABmons + Inheritance means donors pass on their STABmons legal moveset to another Pokemon. For example, Doublade inheriting from Mudsdale gets Stamina and all moves Mudsdale learns naturally as well as moves Mudsdale gets in STABmons such as Spikes and Shore up. In this case, Doublade does not have access to it's own moveset, nor can it use moves it would learn in STABmons.

:Doublade:
Mudsdale (Doublade) @ Eviolite
Impish Nature
- Shore Up
- Body Press
- Spikes
- Earthquake

And another example:

:Chandelure:
Rotom-Heat (Chandelure) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Blue Flare
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Have fun!
While STAB Inheritance is super cool and fun there are a couple things I see being obvious issues.

:porygon-z: I discussed this with TNM in the Discord. Boomburst or Porygon-Z need to go, it's absurdly broken coming from donors like PZ itself, Noctowl, Sylveon, and Eevee (Eevee being unviable while PZ exists but is there to show why we can't just stop PZ donating). Porygon-Z's SpA may be the main issue but Heliolisk and Drampa also hit super hard, or Primarina, Togekiss, Hatterene, or Gardevoir for Sylveon's donation.

:torkoal: Torkoal was banned for donating insanely high power Eruptions, notably to Chandelure. Ninetales does this better than Torkoal ever did thanks to Nasty Plot and Shadow Ball. Eruption or Drought need to go.

While STAB Inheritance is super cool and fun there are a couple things I see being obvious issues.

:porygon-z: I discussed this with TNM in the Discord. Boomburst or Porygon-Z need to go, it's absurdly broken coming from donors like PZ itself, Noctowl, Sylveon, and Eevee (Eevee being unviable while PZ exists but is there to show why we can't just stop PZ donating). Porygon-Z's SpA may be the main issue but Heliolisk and Drampa also hit super hard, or Primarina, Togekiss, Hatterene, or Gardevoir for Sylveon's donation.

:torkoal: Torkoal was banned for donating insanely high power Eruptions, notably to Chandelure. Ninetales does this better than Torkoal ever did thanks to Nasty Plot and Shadow Ball. Eruption or Drought need to go.

Eruption is already banned by the code (as is Water Spout) thanks to some foresight from our community, but I could definitely see Ninetales inheritors being overbearing with just Blue Flare (Specs or Plot) or even mixed sets with Flare + Pyroball, so maybe Drought/Drizzle are bannable in this. Not sure, but I'm definitely open to insight from others.

As for Boomburst vs PZ, I restricted Boomburst in the tour I set today as well as updated the code to reflect the Boomburst restriction as it seems like the better course of action to me. While PZ is likely the best Boomburst donor, there's also Tinted Boomburst from Noctowl, Scrappy Boomburst, Adapt Boomburst from Eevee, Pixilate Boomburst from Sylveon (Togekiss, Garde and Hatterene are all good inheritors for Sylv). There's clearly no shortage of good Boomburst donors so it seems best to just restrict it. If anyone disagrees feel free to present your case.

Some more sets so this isn't just a post about tiering decisions:

Kommo can run Scrappy + Press + Recovery via miltank:

:kommo-o:
Miltank (Kommo-o) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Scrappy
Bold Nature
- Curse
- Body Press
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock/Rapid Spin/Glare/Whirlwind

Mienshao donates No retreat, Uturn, Regenerator and a bunch of good physical moves. I've used Terrak, but I'm sure there's other possible abusers as well.

:Terrakion:
Mienshao (Terrakion) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- No Retreat

Since Pex (and the Slowpoke line) get Flip Turn from STABmons, there is now more than one possible regenvest set:

:Snorlax:
Toxapex (Snorlax) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Poison Fang
- Flip Turn
- Knock Off
- Facade

Runerigus can also inherit Stamina + Shore Up from Mudsdale while getting STAB on ground moves:

:Runerigus:
Mudsdale (Runerigus) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Body Press
- Shore Up
- Stealth Rock

Last edited:
Recently, The Number Man and I have been working on improving how tour codes are managed, due the many problems previously associated with having them fragmented across a number of difficult to access and sometimes conflicting individual forum posts and pastebins that may or may not be up-to-date. The result is Operation Tour Code, a repository for tour codes based on how Pokemon Showdown manages built-in formats, that should improve reliability and maintainability for mashups metas.

You may have already seen bots being used for automated tour creation in the mashups room, which accesses this data. At this point, though, we can introduce a new feature that can more directly benefit regular users.

Mashups Challenge Code Convertor

Custom challenges were introduced a while ago, but have remained an obscure and somewhat glitchy feature that has also been hampered by a need to tediously manually convert tour codes into challenge codes (if you could even be confident that you had found the right tour code). It seems like it might even have been easier for many to create tours in custom rooms for each individual battle rather than go through this. The new Challenge Code Convertor should make this much simpler and closer to the experience of challenging with built-in formats.

1. Go to the link and paste in your tour code, or for official mashups simply click one of the buttons to automatically load it with the most recent data from Operation Tour Code. You can enter the username of the user you plan to challenge here, or overwrite it later. If the tour code is somehow totally broken (e.g. no base format is specified), an error will be shown.

Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 00.40.43.png

2. Copy the converted challenge code to the clipboard (just clicking it should work fine to copy it for most environments) and paste it into a Showdown chatroom textbox.

Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 00.38.51.png

3. When you hit enter and the challenge is previewed, you and your opponent can check the rules (although in this case, STAAABmons could be simulated in custom game, you might feel a bit more secure for playoffs, etc in having visible rules validated, as well as the base meta matching where your teams are probably stored from tournaments).

Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 00.38.03.png

There are a few weird issues I've noticed with custom challenges that are being addressed in various ways:-

* Certain aliases for base formats that work fine for creating tours seem to not work with the /challenge command. One example I found was "randbats" being used in place of "[Gen 8] Random Battle"/"gen8randombattle". This was fixed by changing the original tour code; in general, for this reason it seems like it would be best to always use the full name of the base format in tour codes.

* Some users are running into seemingly anomalous "Unrecognized rule" errors when making what should be legitimate custom challenges. This has been reported as a bug in Showdown, and as a workaround the tool is currently removing spaces that seem to trigger the error in certain cases.

If you want to challenge people to mashups outside of tours, please try this tool out and offer any feedback you have!

Tranquility

is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
With TPP Coming to a close and DLC 2 just around the corner, the STAAAB VR has been updated once again and will be the last update (With a C+ and C tier now!) before a new VR is created with DLC 2! It's been a pleasure making these and updating them as the meta evolves but without further ado, here's the final changes for the STAAAB DLC 1 VR.

Rises

Urshifu-Single-Strike (A+ ~> S-)
:Jirachi: Jirachi (A ~> A+)
Togekiss (A ~> A+)
Zarude (A- ~> A)
Heliolisk (B+ ~> A-)
:Inteleon: Inteleon (B+ ~> A-)
Jolteon (B+ ~> A-)
Magnezone (B+ ~> A-)
Ninjask (B ~> B+)
Salazzle (B ~> B+)
Galarian Form
Weezing-Galar (B- ~> B+)
Decidueye (UR ~> B)
Drampa (UR ~> B)
Pangoro ( UR ~> B)
Mienshao (UR ~> B-)
Claydol (UR ~> C+)
Virizion (UR ~> C+)

Drops

Hydreigon (A+ ~> A)
Excadrill (A ~> A-)
Ferrothorn (A ~> B)
Primarina (A ~> A-)
Gallade (A- ~> B+)
Palossand (A- ~> B)
Weavile (A- ~> B+)
Celebi (B+ ~> B)
Lanturn (B+ ~> B-)
Milotic (B+ ~> B-)
Tentacruel (B+ ~> B-)
Type-Null (B+ ~> B-)
Amoonguss (B ~> C+)
Barraskewda (B ~> C+)
Clefable (B ~> C+)
:Coalossal: Coalossal (B ~> C)
Dragalge (B ~> C+)
Goodra (B ~> C+)
Gourgeist (B ~> C+)
Galarian Form
Slowbro-Galar (B ~> C)
Vaporeon (B ~> B-)
Avalugg (B- ~> C+)
Braviary (B- ~> C)
Grimmsnarl (B- ~> C)
Oranguru (B- ~> C)
Pikachu (B- ~> C)
Rotom Sprite
Rotom-Fan (B- ~> C)
:Toxtricity: Toxtricity (B- ~> C)
Umbreon (B- ~> C)

StAAAb DLC2 Speculation
With the influx of new 'mons (and moves!) StAAAb is gonna be... changed. Lots of new powerful threats to be weary of, and here are some tat I thought up:

1601860193376.png

Aerodactyl @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake / Accelerock
- Hone Claws / Stealth Rock

Mayyyybe bannable, and it was banned in Stab last gen. Pretty simple, and the speed tier is amazing, only really being outsped by Barraskewda.

1601860743110.png

Moltres @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Blue Flare
- Oblivion Wing / Hurricane
- Roost
- Substitute / U-Turn / Toxic / Defog

Kanto Moltres has some real potential, and I haven't heard anyone really talk about it. I've used Charizard for some decent success, but what if you had 20 more SpA and way more bulk? Fire / Flying is a hard hitting combo, and you have bulk to live a hit from an offensive threat and ko them back (no calcs too lazy). You could also go for

1601862486631.png
Moltres-Galar @ Life Orb / Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Triage
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse / Fiery Wrath
- Oblivion Wing
- Knock Off / U-Turn / Roost / Toxic
- Nasty Plot

Galar Moltres is way more hyped, and at first the stab combo is sound. However 80bp stabs really hurt compared to blue flare's 130bp. Triage, Plot, and 80bp priority are really good at culling offense though. If sigmove has like 100bp, then it'll be scarier for sure

1601859939840.png

Suicune @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Extrasensory / Roar / Ice Beam
- Protect

Suicune is pretty much a physical Chansey - an amazing blanket check, but is physical instead. It doesn't get natural recover, teleport, or hazards, but it makes up for it by being a godly wincon on the level of Snorlax. Like Chansey, it can be broken by very strong physical hits (especially because it doesn't resist important types like ground). Extrasensory because Pex.
Also suicune vs suicune fights are gonna be a real slog, example: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8customgame-1197980178

1601861743093.png
/
1601861749740.png

Salamence / Garchomp @ Choice Band / Life Orb / Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Dual Wingbeat / Bonemerang
- Coverage
- Iron Tail / Dragon Dance

Pretty similar, very powerful dragons that abuse the power of Technician. Threatens SpD Corvi well too:
252 Atk Choice Band Technician Salamence Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Corviknight: 180-214 (45 - 53.5%) -- approx. 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Probably needs to be part of dragmag or other corvi overwhealming teams first, though. And more standard adapatbility sets can be stronger due to D Ascent / P Blades coming back, while also not activating Stamina as much.

1601862077213.png

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge / Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dragon Energy / Clanging Scales
- Expanding Force
- Psystrike
- Mystical Fire / Trick

The highlight here is Dragon Energy, regi-dragon's signature move, which is an Eruption clone. Expanding Force has proven to be very scare, and Latios' good speed tier threatens lots of the current and future meta.

1601862294205.png

Buzzwole @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- U-turn

Buzzwole @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Dauntless Shield
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Roost
- Ice Punch / U-Turn
- Bulk Up

No Defog, but Buzzwole is a much needed Fighting / Dark / Ground resist. There are many many options, all of which are relatively easy to explain. Flying weakness makes you want to cry but at least Urshifus like running choice. Triage is also obviously good but already pretty much done by Heracross, who also has spikes.

zygod is also busted kthnx

Last edited:
Inspired by Drampa's post in the STABmons thread and Tmi's post here, I decided I'd share my own thoughts on how to approach the post DLC2 STAAABmons metagame.

First off, lets look at the new additions. Everything under this category is stolen from Drampa's earlier post in the STAB thread:

Calyrex
Type: Psychic / Grass
Ability: Unnerve

? Two unknown Pokemon which can fuse with Calyrex
? Two Calyrex formes created through fusion with unknown Pokemon

Regieleki
Type: Electric
Ability: Transistor ("Its Electric-type moves are said to pack the greatest power of any used by Electric-type Pokémon."*)

Regidrago
Type: Dragon
Ability: Dragon's Maw ("Regidrago can use Dragon-type moves with greater power than other Pokémon."*)

Articuno-Galar
Type: Psychic / Flying
Ability: Competitive

Moltres-Galar
Type: Dark / Flying
Ability: Berserk

Zapdos-Galar
Type: Fighting / Flying
Ability: Defiant

Slowking-Galar
Type: Poison / Psychic
Ability: Curious Medicine ("When a Pokémon with this Ability enters the battlefield, allies’ stat changes are reset."

*Regidrago's and Regieleki's ability desciptions, as listed here, do not necessarily pertain to their abilities as the description is listed on the Pokemon website, which merely mentions them as attributes of the Pokemon.

Dragon Energy Type: Unconfirmed (take a wild guess)
(Regidrago: "The more HP the user has remaining, the higher the move’s power.")

Eerie Spell Type: Psychic
(Slowking-Galar: "Eerie Spell is a Psychic-type special move... If hit, the opponent doesn’t only take damage—it also loses 3 PP from the move it last used.")

Fiery Wrath Type: Dark
(Moltres-Galar: "This Dark-type special move... may also make opposing Pokémon flinch.")

Freezing Glare Type: Psychic
(Articuno-Galar: "Freezing Glare is a Psychic-type special move... This move may also leave the target frozen.")

Thunder Cage Type: Electric
(Regieleki: "In this Electric-type special move... Thunder Cage doesn’t only deal damage to opponents when it lands—it will also cause them to be trapped within an electrified cage, causing damage every turn for four to five turns and preventing them from fleeing or being swapped out.")

Thunderous Kick Type: Fighting
(Zapdos-Galar: "This Fighting-type physical move... also lowers the target’s Defense stat.")
Aeroblast - Lugia
Core Enforcer - Zygarde
Crush Grip - Regigigas
Diamond Storm - Diancie
Dragon Ascent - Rayquaza
Geomancy - Xerneas
Land's Wrath - Zygarde
Lovely Kiss - Jynx
Lunar Dance - Cresselia
Luster Purge - Latios
Magma Storm - Heatran
Mind Blow - Blacephalon
Mist Ball - Latias
Nature's Madness - Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini
Oblivion Wing - Yveltal
Origin Pulse - Kyogre
Precipice Blades - Groudon
Roar of Time - Dialga
Sacred Fire - Ho-oh
Searing Shot - Victini
Shadow Force - Giratina
Spacial Rend - Palkia
Steam Eruption - Volcanion
Techno Blast - Genesect
Thousand Arrows - Zygarde
Thousand Waves - Zygarde

This list assumes that if a Pokemon returns its signature move will also return*. Obviously this is not necessarily true in every case (eg: Heal Order) however it's a fairly safe bet in most cases.

*Manaphy doesn't currently have any signature moves. Feel free to theorize Tail Glow or Heart Swap if you believe they will return, but I will not be listing them here.

S/o to drampa for compiling all of this. Now, let's analyse this stuff in the context of STAAABmons. First off I think all of the new mons are potentially relevant, but we don't have enough data on most of them for any accurate speculation. The exceptions are G-Molt and G-Zap whose typings mean they will be insanely strong, as long as their stats aren't absolute shit.

As for returning mons, we are getting some very strong ones this time around.

1) Quickbannable stuff (Im not gonna list obvious Ubers here) - by virtue of being banned last gen:
:Kartana: :blacephalon: :dragonite: :tapu koko: :archeops: :regigigas: :pheromosa:

All of these mons are insanely strong, I don't think I have to explain what they do. Tapu koko is the one that could potentially stay free, but I think it would end up escalating into a Pult/Zera situation all over again. Mons with Koko level speed and actual offensive stats + coverage quickly take over the meta by virtue of nonexistent offensive counterplay (outside of choice scarf, but imagine using scarfers in a priority infested metagame with insanely fat pivots) and defensive counterplay that isnt easy enough to come by, when taking their absolute dominance over other breakers into account (ie. when a mon forces 80% of slower offensive mons out, it better have a bunch of good switchins, otherwise it's just broken).

2) Quickbannable stuff, but was either not banned last gen, or there's alternative solutions
a) not banned last gen: :Aerodactyl:
b) alternative solutions: :zygarde: :thundurus: :thundurus-therian:

Aero is another tapu koko, except it has 150 + 120 bp stabs with MGLO and quake coverage for steel types that resist rock flying. And it gets DD this gen. Zygarde has to go, or 1k arrows has to be hard banned. No other solution (its gonna be restricted either way). Thundy was banned last gen for abusing triage Owing, but this we got 3 new potential abusers in Gmolt, Gcuno as well as Csoul Mence along with the already usable Togekiss, which leads me to believe an Owing restriction would be preferable, as it lets us keep the meta more intact than it would be if we banned every good flying type.

3) Potentially broken
:tapu lele: :garchomp: :landorus-therian: :latios: :naganadel:

All of these have great stats and typings and could prove to be overwhelming. The psyspammers are worrying in a meta with no Alolan Muk as well as no Pursuit. It could turn out that we'd need to ban Psychic Surge due to the overwhelming power of psychic types, but I'd rather not think about that option as that would likely mean that we need to ban Triage as well.

With this out of the way, lets look at the mons that will be nice additions to the metagame:

1) Pheal Water types
:suicune: :tapu-fini: :swampert:

Tmi already talked about cune, so all I'm gonna add is that you can easily run Roar on it on hazard stacking teams, as it lets you force out stuff that would normally sit on you (Pex, Chansey, Snorlax) as well as easily win mirror matches vs opposing Cune/Fini.
Fini is a straight upgrade to Pheal Prima, as it gets Taunt/Knock/Defog in addition to the standard Water/Fairy moveset, meaning it can actually dismantle teams that rely on Pex/Chansey to beat fat pheal setup mons as well as beat opposing Phealers by preventing them from boosting up.
Pert is a bit of a sidegrade to toad. On ton hand we have Pert's superior bulk and access to Bulk Up and Roar, on the other we have Toad with Gastro Acid and Knock. With the increase in power level however, I'm thinking that the additional bulk will be quite relevant.

2) Misc other stuff
:tapu-bulu: :buzzwole: :nihilego: :stakataka: :heatran: :celesteela: :blaziken: :entei: :raikou: :xurkitree: :victini: :cresselia: :tyrantrum::genesect:

Not gonna talk about all of these. Tmi already mentioned buzzwole, but I'd like to highlight Triage Buzzwole especially, as it's the first fat fighting type with actual recovery, meaning it lets us compress a defensive pivot and lategame wincon into one slot, similarly to how Pheal Kommo used to in the lower power level pre-dlc meta.

Nihilego is a nice Noivern + Fire type resist with a lot of support options, Bulu is another potential Grass type attacker with lots of nice coverage, Cress is the fattest possible physical unaware wall and last we've got Tran Entei Victini, a trio of Fire types that will hopefully be powerful enough to have a niche in the meta while not being overbearing and requiring a ban like Chand, Volc and now Blace. Blaziken is probably too slow, unless we can make triage work.

3) Previously banned mons
:volcarona: :magearna:

I could see us freeing both Mag and Volc down the line, however we're gonna try to let the post DLC2 meta settle first before unbanning anything and in my mind Mag is more likely (and safer) to be unbanned than Volc is.

In conclusion, there's a lot of stuff that's likely going to need a ban. If the community wants it, we can have a few days with all the new and returning mons legal so everyone can use the new toys, but I don't foresee this lasting very long as the brokens are gonna be made apparent quite quickly.

The main dilemmas in my mind are:
- restrict Owing vs ban the good Flying types (Thundys, Kiss, Gmolt and maybe others) *leaning ban Owing myself
- ban Aero? *leaning towards yes
- hardban 1kArrows (like with wicked blow) or ban Zygarde?

With the DLC2 on the horizon, I will update the STABmons Doubles tour code with all the moves that would be returning restricted in preparation for it, assuming that no new bans have been placed. Those moves being Diamond Storm, Geomancy, Lovely Kiss, and Thousand Arrows.

Additionally, AAA Doubles will be quick banning Kartana and Regigigas. Dragonite and Archeops will not be banned because even with powerful abilities they can obtain, I don't think there's enough evidence for them to warrant the quick-ban treatment or in Archeops's case, being easily revenge-killed.

/tour new [Gen 8] Doubles OU, elimination
/tour rules STABmons Move Legality, -Blissey, -Chansey, -Shedinja, -Silvally, -Snorlax, *Acupressure, *Belly Drum, *Bolt Beak, *Decorate, *Diamond Storm, *Double Iron Bash, *Fishious Rend, *Geomancy, *Lovely Kiss, *Shift Gear, *Shell Smash, *Spore, *Thousand Arrows, -Drizzle++Swift Swim
/tour autostart 10
/tour autodq 4
/tour name [Gen 8] STABmons Doubles

/tour new Doubles, elimination
/tour rules !Obtainable Abilities, -Anger Point, -Arena Trap, -Comatose, -Contrary, -Fluffy, -Fur Coat, -Gorilla Tactics, -Huge Power, -Ice Scales, -Illusion, -Imposter, -Innards Out, -Intrepid Sword, -Libero, -Moody, -Neutralizing Gas, -Parental Bond, -Protean, -Pure Power, -Rattled, -Serene Grace, -Shadow Tag, -Simple, -Soul-Heart, -Stakeout, -Steam Engine, -Speed Boost, -Water Bubble, -Wonder Guard, -Dracovish, -Dracozolt, -Kartana, -Regigigas, -Shedinja, 2 Ability Clause
/tour autostart 10
/tour autodq 4
/tour name [Gen 8] Almost Any Ability Doubles

In the meantime, I have plans to unban Urshifu Single Strike (except in AAA Doubles) and Volcarona once DLC 2 hits to test some water before deciding whether or not they are still problematic even with the larger rooster. Also, I would like to see if Gorilla Tactics should be unbanned or not in AAA Doubles. EDIT: yeah no If there are any objections, feel free to discuss them.

Last edited:

Tranquility

A lot of people recently have been making posts regarding their thoughts on DLC 2 for staaab; as the current meta has gotten kinda stale and the excitement of new mons have brought on hype. Rather than discussing my thoughts on the new mons as I agree with many of the points laid out in Tmi489 and The Number Man's posts, I'm going to be discussing some of the winners and losers currently around based on what we know and how their roles might change based on the new meta.

Winners:

:Corviknight: - Already a staple and in my opinion the premier defogger in the tier, while it might not seem like it a lot of the new mons returning are quite friendly to it compared to other defensive mons mentioned later. The large influx of ground and dragon types will certainly make it still a very favorable mon in terms of resistances, and while there is also an influx of fire types, it's ability to run flash fire and pivot around with uturn will make it all around still as great if not even better in dlc 2.

/
- The new electric move which seems to be based off magma storm could make these fast electric types even more threatening, as they have ways of providing more substantial chip against special walls, and overall be more impactful rather than just momentum mons.

- Lul

- While it's speed tier will be a little wonky come dlc 2, I think the new dragon eruption will only help it out and will be one of the best abusers of it due to it's mixed capabilities that say Latios or Naganadel might lack, and will still be a veryy good breaker in the tier (Though i doubt there will be as big of a need).

- With a lot of special flying and fire types coming back, I expect Lanturn's Viability to do so as well. Being able to provide a blanket to mind blown spam will be nice as well as resisting owing for however long it is in the tier, as well as again potentially using the electric magma storm as mentioned earlier.

LOSERS

:Chansey: - A lot of physical mons being added certainly doesn't help it, and on top of that with a lot of mons running knock off in addition to more moves that result in chip such as the previously mentioned "electric storm" it'll be harder to use chansey as a special pivot/wall, when there's more stuff that threatens it's shortcomings. It'll still be good considering the amount of special mons added, just not a necessity that it is now on teams.

/ :Runerigus: - Two other defensive mons right now, again I still think both will be okay (more so pod) but new mons such as the flying types and also special mons like lati's, nagan, Fini etc as well as flying types like molt/zap/maybe articuno? that can hit one or both super effectively. And once again increased knock off mons hurts both, along with in general the more fast pace meta the will be and the competiion that runerigus has vs chomp and lando that will restrict it to more defensive use.

- Little reason to use pheal set over fini, and offensive sets will be outclassed by Mag/Lele most likely, still can have a niche but just less appealing than a lot of the new options.

- Unless you want the speed, little reason to use it over lele/lati's as breakers as they are way bulker and have secondary stabs to better take care of resistances.

- Faster meta along with a lot of fairies and flying? Yeah... won't be as great and Buzzswole and Pherabroken as fighting types with other utility.

Other Thoughts

- I still think will be great with hazard utility as well as being one of the better checks to Psychic, Flying, Dark, and Fire types which will all be v good offensively based off returning mons.

- Once the meta settles it'll be great again doing what it always does, while there will be more things that threaten it, it'll still be a good blanket check for a good proportion of the meta and can pivot around things that come in on it.

:Absol: - My god and Waifu for Lifeu.

Stab N Mega DLC 2 Speculation

With all legendaries coming back in DLC 2, the MNM metagame on a whole will change a lot. This time however there is no more Blue/Red orb unfortunately. Previously pokemon like :raikou: used red orb in addition with weather ball. In this post i'll basically just be going over some sets that I believe will be good when DLC 2 drops.

:entei:
Entei @ Altarianite/Pinsirite
Ability: Pressure
Adamant Nature
- Pyro Ball
- Extreme Speed
- Stomping Tantrum
- Howl
Entei has been good for alot of gen 7, I think it will resurge in popularity once DLC 2 drops. Whether or not it will be better than :arcanine: , only time will tell.

:zygarde:
Zygarde @ Altarianite/Pinsirite/No Mega Stone
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance/Coil/Clangourous Soul
- Dragon Darts
- Extreme Speed
- Glare/Thousand Arrows/Shore Up
Zygod is back with more to abuse than ever. I think zygarde might be banned/quickbanned just cause of its versatility but i might be proven wrong.

:kartana:
Kartana @ Metagrossite
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Power Whip
- Sacred Sword
- Bullet Punch
Ban this thing pls (inb4 its actually not that broken)

:tapu-koko:
Tapu Koko @ Metagrossite/Lopunnite
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Close Combat
- Play Rough/U-Turn
- Grass Knot/U-turn
I think koko will be good when dlc drops, but not overly broken. Also I don't think its special sets will be as popular as physical, but will have a place in the meta.

There's more that ill probably cover at a later time, but for now

:blobwave:

Ainzcrad

Smile of the Orchid
is a Tiering Contributor
New dlc thoughts for dou stab

Bored asf ngl so time to make this post rq.

For stabmons doubles there isnt alot of interesting stuff coming from what i can see rn BUT there a few things that might be interesting to look at.

1 :tapu_bulu: :tapu_lele: :tapu_koko: :tapu_fini: Tapus

The tapus pretty much got new coverage+new moves. Making them even more powerful then they were. Each getting there own new stabs in there terrain giving tapu bulu priority with glassy glide, tapu koko rising voltage (pls ban this it sounds borked asf), tapu lele expanding force and tapu fini misty explosion (useless). WIth that out of the way tapu koko and tapu bulu both get cc+pr, which isnt to big for tapu koko since special is just better with rising voltage. CC on tapu bulu just means it doesnt have to rely on superpower which makes it way more consistent most likely. The last thing thats worth looking at in terms of the tapus is the fact that tapu fini is getting flip turn. Flip just means its able to get slow switches off giving u more momentum into ur breakers for example and doesnt force normal switches forcing u to risk more plays.

2 :stakataka: :diancie: :cresselia: Trick Room

Trick room is getting there best trick room setters back. Nothing much to say about this except that diancie can maybe pull off some new tricks with meteor beam or stakataka with steel roller to help for example diancie out facing things like bulu/rillaboom. Also cress coming back for some action is nice and makes setting trick room up way easier and way more annoying to deal with.

3 :zapdos: :dragonite: :tornadus: Tailwind

These will be busted. Great stats, great bulk, good/amazing abilities and they can be immune to rocks which was one of the things holding them back. Zapdos can just set tailwind without many issues prob switching between sitrus/hdb. Torn Tailwind spammer auto regen without having to worry about rocks, i will try to get this quickbanned. Dragonite is interesting giving it hdb means u always have multiscale up meaning u can prob get a dd up pretty freely+the now added boost of dual wingbeat giving it good stab for the first time in its live that doesnt break ur multiscale is huge for it. And it for sure seems fun to kinda test out and see how good it is ngl.

4 The rest that i find interesting

:zygarde: Love this mon back might be too strong but we will see. The reason for that is 1k arrows/preci blades+dd and just being pretty bulky.
:salamence: Ass without mega just lacks the things u want from it even dnite will prob outclass it in that
:landorus_therian: A new intimidate user giving us more options for teambuilding. Can either be offensive dragon ascent u turn preci blades rocks/filler. Bulky pivot doesnt seem to bad aswell but we will see ngl.

This is pretty much all to say for now honestly i cant wait to see what develops in stab dou ngl :x

Last edited:
New dlc thoughts for dou stab

Bored asf ngl so time to make this post rq.

For stabmons doubles there isnt alot of interesting stuff coming from what i can see rn BUT there a few things that might be interesting to look at.

1 :tapu_bulu: :tapu_lele: :tapu_koko: :tapu_fini: Tapus

The tapus pretty much got new coverage+new moves. Making them even more powerful then they were. Each getting there own new stabs in there terrain giving tapu bulu priority with glassy glide, tapu koko rising voltage (pls ban this it sounds borked asf), tapu lele expanding force and tapu fini misty explosion (useless). WIth that out of the way tapu koko and tapu bulu both get cc+pr, which isnt to big for tapu koko since special is just better with rising voltage. CC on tapu bulu just means it doesnt have to rely on superpower which makes it way more consistent most likely. The last thing thats worth looking at in terms of the tapus is the fact that tapu fini is getting flip turn. Flip just means its able to get slow switches off giving u more momentum into ur breakers for example and doesnt force normal switches forcing u to risk more plays.

2 :stakataka: :diancie: :cresselia: Trick Room

Trick room is getting there best trick room setters back. Nothing much to say about this except that diancie can maybe pull off some new tricks with meteor beam or stakataka with steel roller to help for example diancie out facing things like bulu/rillaboom. Also cress coming back for some action is nice and makes setting trick room up way easier and way more annoying to deal with.

3 :zapdos: :dragonite: :tornadus: Tailwind

These will be busted. Great stats, great bulk, good/amazing abilities and they can be immune to rocks which was one of the things holding them back. Zapdos can just set tailwind without many issues prob switching between sitrus/hdb. Torn Tailwind spammer auto regen without having to worry about rocks, i will try to get this quickbanned. Dragonite is interesting giving it hdb means u always have multiscale up meaning u can prob get a dd up pretty freely+the now added boost of dual wingbeat giving it good stab for the first time in its live that doesnt break ur multiscale is huge for it. And it for sure seems fun to kinda test out and see how good it is ngl.

4 The rest that i find interesting

:zygarde: Love this mon back might be too strong but we will see. The reason for that is 1k arrows/preci blades+dd and just being pretty bulky.
:salamence: Ass without mega just lacks the things u want from it even dnite will prob outclass it in that
:landorus_therian: A new intimidate user giving us more options for teambuilding. Can either be offensive dragon ascent u turn preci blades rocks/filler. Bulky pivot doesnt seem to bad aswell but we will see ngl.

This is pretty much all to say for now honestly i cant wait to see what develops in stab dou ngl :x
Eh, Tornadus Therian wasn't even that good in standard Doubles. I suppose it becomes much more reliable with Dragon Ascent or Oblivion Wing/Aeroblast in STABmons Doubles but even then, it faces competition with Incarnate formes of Thundurus and even itself, both of which have Prankster Tailwind with Thundurus having extra Electric-type STAB. I honestly think Thunduurs-Incarnate would be more banworthy. And Tornadus Therian isn't bulky enough to take full advantage of its Regenerator ability in Doubles even with Heavy-Duty Boots.

I also don't recommend Multiscale for Dragonite considering how many Fake Out users are running rampant, Inner Focus would have been a better ability now with the added bonus of being immune to Intimidate.

I actually made this post before DLC 2 release date was announced, and been saving it in my Notepad. I guess this should be my speculation in DLC2.
:sm/dratini: [
Normal
/
Fire
] [
Normal
/
Dragon
]
Dratini @ Life Orb
Ability: Shed Skin
Level: 5
EVs: 244 Atk / 36 SpA / 196 Spe
Naughty Nature
IVs: 17 HP
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Blast
- Surf
- Substitute

Dratini @ Life Orb
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 244 Atk / 36 SpA / 196 Spe
Naughty Nature
IVs: 17 HP
- Extreme Speed
- Scale Shot
- Fire Blast
- Substitute

Dratini gains a STAB on Extreme Speed, which allow it to more reliably revenge killed frailer pokemon. This might be included to my watchlist, but I don't see it being broken yet in the meantime. Dratini's bulk is made of wet paper that it can't switch into anything nor doesn't have the bulk of Camomon's Zygarde and Dragonite to effectively pull off a Dragon Dance sweep; in short, it gets easily OHKOed to almost any offensive pokemon. Its physical movepool is extremely limited outside of Extreme Speed, and it has middling Speed stat, and on top of its frailty, it gets outsped and revenge killed by almost any fast offensive pokemon when not using Extreme Speed, especially when using Outrage. And when it is attempting to patch up that with Eviolite, it loses the extra power that Life Orb provides; Most notably, Extreme Speed no longer OHKOs the majority of frail pokemon and majority of bulkier pokemon have no issue surviving 2 Extreme Speeds unless they are knocked and have 14-15 Defense. Even with Eviolite, its still can't reliably set-up Dragon Dance.

:sm/amaura: [
Ice
/
Ground
]
Amaura @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 60 HP / 220 SpA / 228 Spe
Modest / Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt

Ground is a great offensive typing to pair with Ice and reduces the Stealth Rock damage that Amaura takes on the switch. Amaura only needs Blizzard, Earth Power, and Thunderbolt, so the 4th option would be a filler (unsure what Amaura gets something good this gen)

:sm/omanyte: [
Water
/
Ground
]
Omanyte @ Eviolite
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 76 HP / 196 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Shell Smash
This Omanyte uses Ground-typing to gain STAB on Earth Power. It still needs some support, however.

:sm/anorith: [
Ghost
/
Dark
]
Anorith @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Curse
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
Anorith is bad, but this is the closest good set I can think of. Anorith seperates itself from other suicide lead with its Speed Tier, which is above 17 Speeders such as Taunt Onix. It also has Rapid Spin + Knock Off; removing hazards, items and hits Ghost-types that attempted to spinblock it.

:sm/lileep: [
Grass
/
Poison
]
Lileep @ Eviolite
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 148 HP / 220 Def / 28 SpA / 60 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Recover
- Stealth Rock

Another Grass/Poison Pokemon.

:sm/archen: [
Ground
/
Flying
]
Archen @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 76 HP / 180 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dual Wingbeat
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Archen @ Berry Juice
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dual Wingbeat
- U-turn
- Knock Off / Stealth Rock

Archen gets a usable Flying STAB in Dual Wingbeat, which has enough power to 2HKO some of bulkier pokemon after rocks.
:sm/omanyte:
Omanyte @ Eviolite
Ability: Dazzling
EVs: 76 HP / 196 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Shell Smash
This Shell Smasher is back!

:sm/elekid:
Elekid @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 12 Atk / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Cross Chop
- Ice Punch
Its unfortunate it doesn't get Rising Voltage, but Elekid still has its coveted 20 Speed, which is the fastest unboosted pokemon alongside Diglett (which can't used its native Arena Trap anymore)
:sm/archen:
Archen @ Berry Juice
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake
- U-turn / Stealth Rock
- Knock Off / Stealth Rock / Diamond Storm / Accelerock
This bird is back

:sm/tirtouga:
Tirtouga @ Eviolite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 4 HP / 132 Atk / 92 Def / 76 SpD / 180 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surging Strikes
- Diamond Storm / Rock Blast
- Knock Off / Zen Headbutt

Tirtouga @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 212 Atk / 92 Def / 180 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surging Strikes
- Diamond Storm / Rock Blast
- Knock Off / Zen Headbutt
Tirtouga is another physical Water-type that greatly benefits from Surging Strikes.

:sm/vullaby:
Vullaby (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 76 Def / 236 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Oblivion Wing
- Dark Pulse
- Heat Wave
Owing is back and Vullaby is once again, one of Owing abusers, aside from... Grassy Seed Woobat, i suppose.
:sm/landorus-therian:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf / Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Dragon Ascent
- U-turn
- Knock Off
Adaptability Lando-T is back! though losing Z-move does hurt it, especially its ability to OHKO a physically defensive Celesteela ( or a Corviknight without Dauntless Shield) with +2 Supersonic Skystrike.

:sm/thundurus::sm/thundurus-therian::sm/togekiss:
Triage Oblivion Wing is back. Thundurus-Therian was a huge threat with this combo when it was legal in STAAAB last gen, and Togekiss became the next best abuser after Thundy-T got banned. We also get a new abuser in Moltres-Galar, which has a Dark-typing to prevent some Psychic Surge user from just clicking free Expanding Force.

:sm/naganadel::sm/latios:
We get a Eruption-clone move named Dragon Energy, and these two are good abusers. Naganadel is legal in STAAAB and in AAA last gen. Adaptability is the best ability choice to further boost their power.

The same calcs I posted on Discord:
252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Latios Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 314-370 (44.6 - 52.5%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Latios Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Corviknight: 196-231 (49 - 57.7%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
:sm/absol::sm/absol::sm/absol::sm/absol::sm/absol::sm/absol:
Its back

:sm/metagross:
And don't forget Metagross too.
:sm/zygarde:
Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Power Construct
Impish Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Shore Up
- Dragon Tail
- Spikes
The great wall of Zygarde has returned.

:sm/yveltal:
Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Oblivion Wing
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
Yveltal is back. Although losing Dark Aura-boosted Pursuit can hurt, but its still a big threat.

:sm/kartana:
Kartana @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- Sunsteel Strike
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch / Swords Dance
Kartana returns too.

:ss/eternatus:
Eternatus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Dragon Energy
- Clanging Scales
- Sludge Wave
- Flamethrower
Eternatus is one of good abusers of Dragon Energy thanks to its significant Speed advantage compare to other abuser such as Kyurem-White, Rayquaza and Reshiram. Eternatus is able to outspeed some of fast pokemon such as Kartana and Marshadow.
:sm/xerneas:
Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Thunder
People that have played AAA Ubers last will probably still remember one of the big threats in this mashup: Tinted Lens Xerneas. This gen, Magearna had lost Heart Swap, so that's one of its benefits. Zacian-Crowned + Xerneas seems like a nice Fairy-core.

:sm/yveltal:
Yveltal @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Oblivion Wing
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Foul Play
We finally get RegenVest Yveltal back. This one has Defense EVs to survive a Jolly Choice Band Urshifu-SS Close Combat after Stealth Rock or at full if its using Adaptability.

:sm/rayquaza:
Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Ability: Aerilate
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- V-create
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
This is another threat with its -atespeed and V-create as coverage.

:sm/kartana:
Kartana @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Smart Strike
Grassy Glide Kartana, but its sad that there's a considerable amount of Grass resist in Uber ( Rayquaza, Necrozma-Dusk-Mane, Yveltal, Eternatus, Ho-oh, Reshiram, etc. )

I juste noticed two things in the banlists of STAAABmons. I didn't saw dracozolt or dracovish as banned, which makes me wonder if they aren't to dangerous with their respective overpowered STAB. Since they both get dragon dance and can run a swift swim or surge surfer set or even mold breaker to by pass water absorb or volt absorb. I know one is blocked by harsh sun, while the other one cann't hit ground types. The other one is in my opnion a lot more bizarre, why isn't gorilla tactics banned? It feels like such a strong ability that made darm G uber.

Just wondering why. Maybe there are some things I didn't think about.
Btw, sorry for my bad English.

I juste noticed two things in the banlists of STAAABmons. I didn't saw dracozolt or dracovish as banned, which makes me wonder if they aren't to dangerous with their respective overpowered STAB. Since they both get dragon dance and can run a swift swim or surge surfer set or even mold breaker to by pass water absorb or volt absorb. I know one is blocked by harsh sun, while the other one cann't hit ground types. The other one is in my opnion a lot more bizarre, why isn't gorilla tactics banned? It feels like such a strong ability that made darm G uber.

Just wondering why. Maybe there are some things I didn't think about.
Btw, sorry for my bad English.
Gorilla tactics is actually banned, I just forgot to list it. My bad and thanks for pointing it out :D

As for the dracos, they actually see very little play in STAAABmons mostly due to their low speed meaning they dont have many opportunities to actually set up, as well as the abundance of priority making it hard for them to actually abuse their broken STAB moves even after setting up (priority abusers move faster than the dracos, so their stab moves only have 85 BP).

Ok, I understand why and I don't really play the tier because it hasn't a ladder unfortunatly. Thank you.

So I was trying to think about some sets and was curious to know if a dragon (I think kyurem or hydreigon would be the best pics) would be good with poison heal + clanging scales are good in STAAAB.
Also why is neutralizing gas not banned it seems so out of the goal of tier. Just a tought I has ^^;

Edit: I also wonder how aegislash works. does he always have his shield forme without his ability? Or can you chose?

Ok, I understand why and I don't really play the tier because it hasn't a ladder unfortunatly. Thank you.

So I was trying to think about some sets and was curious to know if a dragon (I think kyurem or hydreigon would be the best pics) would be good with poison heal + clanging scales are good in STAAAB.
Also why is neutralizing gas not banned it seems so out of the goal of tier. Just a tought I has ^^;

Edit: I also wonder how aegislash works. does he always have his shield forme without his ability? Or can you chose?
Oh thats another banned thing that i forgot to include in the banlist, thanks for pointing it out. Yeah Poison Heal hydreigon with Clangorous soul + Power trip is a very solid set that can run away with games sometimes.

Hydreigon @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Clangorous Soul
- Power Trip
- Dynamax Cannon/Taunt/Substitute
- Obstruct

Wait, how do you play this? Because I wanna boogie down on a Pure Hackmons + Shared Power combo with a team of Libero+Adaptability+Tough Claws+Huge Power+No Guard+Magic Guard. Maybe call it Shared Hackmons.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)