DLC2 Crown Tundra Speculation Thread [SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gomi

yep
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
bored
:ss/palkia: Pdon is likely gone, meaning its defensive utility as an offensive mon that is able to stomach 3 hits from ogre's spout is once again extremely useful, and it has always been a fantastic breaker.
:ss/naganadel: Zacian shifted the speed tiers in ubers heavily so I honestly dont see this blossoming much due to its lack of defensive utility and now awkward speed tier that leaves it outpaced by 2 huge offensive threats. (edit: Forgot to clarify i meant marshadow and zacian-c rip)
:ss/Xerneas: The loss of HP fire is a pretty noticable nerf but this pokemon is just MADE for Dmax, being almost impossible to defensive handle after a Geomancy. I wouldn't be surprised if it got added to the blacklist and even if it does, I see Geomancy sets retaining their mandatory prep nature they had in previous gens, now made harder by the lack of pdon, albeit Dusk mane is still ludicrous and splashable. Specs looks fun again as well.
:ss/Yveltal: Next to no defensive counterplay while dmaxxed, only being stopped by Diancie, which doesn't stick out to me as a consistent Ubers pick. Specs is amazing, Mixed revenges Dusk Mane well, just a good, versatile mon im excited to use.
:ss/dialga: No Pdon, Kyogre exists once more for it to check. It competes with Dusk Mane for sure but offers its own benefits as an offensive rocker, due to the strength of its stab combo and resists as a dragon.
:ss/giratina: Fat wall that phazes and spreads status efficently, but unfortunately doesn't match up well vs some of the prominent offensive threats created by Dmax or Zacian, as well as being extremely passive.
:ss/giratina-origin: Great Groudon Check with solid power and griseous boosted Hexes to take advantage of how much Wisp/Twave is can spam efficently. It seems like it'll continue being a good pick due to its titanic bulk and awful to switch into status.
:ss/Groudon: Primal is no more (hopefully), so groudon must go back to being a bulky sun setting ground with great offensive sets in double dance, and solid defensive sets, like that's a bad thing. No longer being a Xerneas check and losing access to its complete water immunity are huge, but it's still a strong, decently bulky mon with a good typing that abuses Dmax as well as any of the other titanic bulk, hugely powerful ubers.
:ss/Kyogre: Primal Kyogre is gone, meaning its lost the extreme power and special bulk it has had for the past 2 gens, but Pdon likely being no more means that Kyogre can once more blossom as a water spout spamming choice mon, in addition to the likely continued success of its defensive and offensive CM sets. It looks to be extremely dominating, not to mention it's a fantastic Dmaxxer due to its access to airstream and huge power+solid bulk.
:ss/Rayquaza: Its ultra busted mega is likely no more, however, Rayquaza is still a great mixed powerhouse with a respectable speed tier for dragon dancing. Ignoring the weathers Groudon and Kyogre can now keep on the field for a few turns after switching is a solid benefit as well.
:ss/ho oh: This pokemon looks really dumb and pretty much mandatory prep due to how hard it will be to take out w/ Boots on it to ignore its 4x SR weakness. This is some borderline AG type stuff ngl.
:ss/lugia: Do boots benefit it? Yes. Does it fix its generation by generation problem of being overly passive and having an awkward defensive typing? No, Will it be bad? lolno. Will it be top tier? probably not.
:ss/swampert: Offers very little that isn't already offered by the other Ground Waters besides lacking a crucial water immunity/item removal immunity. Simple as that, seems like a solid UU mon as usual.
:ss/Sceptile: Offensive pure grass with no bulk and awkward offensive stats and an unburden set that's almost strictly outclassed by Hawlucha? Yea, no thanks. Seems like a cool pick for lower tiers of course but my knowledge on metagames below UU is extremely limited, and i dont see it landing itself in UU either.

:ss/articuno: Boots are an ENORMOUS blessing and the ice typing doesn't stop this mon from being a solid special wall with decent offensive prescence, that also has a great ability to defog with in Pressure. OU material? For sure no, even UU seems farfetch'd due to Empoleon not existing for it to body on stalls like last gen, but it still seems noticably better regardless.
:ss/Metagross: Decently fat steel with fantastic offensive capabilities that can run a tanky rocker set while still keeping great offensive prescence. At the very least it seems like it'll have a solid UU niche with CB.
:ss/Aggron: Awful typing and relatively slow but this mon has great offensive prescence with CB Rock Head Head Smash. I could see it landing around RU/NU, as it did in less horribly powercrept gens.
:ss/Tornadus: Good Stab, newfound access to nasty plot, decent set variety, solid support options in Knock, great speed tier, yea this seems a little dumb. This is the one I'm Least sure of landing in a lower tier and not UUbl, though hurricane's inconsistency and its mediocre bulk might drag it down.
:ss/Tyrantrum: Rock Head Head Smash is always a good start to an offensively inclined mon, but this thing's speed tier and below average spdef REALLY drag it down. Regardless, CB Head Smash is disgusting and Scarf/Rock polish to clean both seem great. RU/niche in UU maybe?
:ss/aurorus: AWFUL typing, but this pokemon's offensive prescence is great and it has 2 abilities to serve it well. Seems like a solid NU mon to me.
:ss/nidoqueen: :ss/Nidoking: These two don't differ a whole lot really, so i'll just talk about em Together. Nidoking seems like a ok mon if OU's metagame slows down due to its respectable survivability, unique typing, great offensive capabilities, and admittedly just passable speed tier. Aside from that, it seems like a great UU mon due to the traits I mentioned before, stabs+flamebeam/rocks over flame has great offensive prescence and solid defensive use. Nidoqueen trades in its passable speed tier for a pretty sad one but has much more solid bulk. I could see them being UU together or king in UU, queen in RU like last gen.
:ss/Crobat: No more Z fly to aid in its stallbreaking capabilities, but its speed tier is MUCH better without megas running around, eclipsing the current standard for non scarf speed control in Noivern by a little. Solid defensive utility in 3 quad resists (fighting, bug, grass), access to U turn, Roost, no miss Toxic, Taunt, Super Fang, Brave Bird, the list goes on. Versatile, albeit kinda offensively lackluster, speed demon that can abuse defensive pokemon well, UU for sure, RU at worst.
:ss/Entei: Strong physical Fire with solid bulk and a great speed tier, as well as a respectable offensive movepool, packing even a non nature restricted Extreme Speed (Thank god for mints) for revenge killing, This isn't a complicated mon, it clicks buttons, and eats a hit or 2. Looks good for UU.
:ss/suicune: Vincune will absolutely have a niche in OU, no doubt about that, but aside from that, I just see it being a pretty straightforward bulky water CM wincon in UU. all of the gen 2 roaming legendaries are pretty straightforward lol.
:ss/Raikou: Apparently this thing is gettin scald for some reason? neat way to make up for HP ice going i suppose. once again it's relatively straightforward, solid bulk, good offensive prescence, the ability to use CM or just specs for outright power, and a blazing 115 speed tier. Aura sphere is no long nature restricted as well, which is pretty cool. UU or RU at worst imo.
:ss/Uxie: Decently fat with access to a solid support movepool in Rocks, Trick, U-turn, Memento, Yawn, yadayada. Good speed tier for a defensive mon, no pursuit, and an okay offensive prescence, RU maybe?
:ss/Mesprit: a clean 80/105/105/105/105/80 stat spread with a solid movepool containing elec ghost and grass coverage+Rocks and Knock. NU/RU possibly? No more pursuit is HUGE but it still is the jack of all trades of the pixies, so it doesn't really excel in any one thing.
:ss/Azelf: Nasty plot, good mixed attacking stats, blazing speed tier, rocks and fast Taunt to lead, U-turn, Xxplosion, not much more to say really lol. seems like a good UU mon again.
:ss/aerodactyl: Dragon Dance, good stab combo, and Dual Wingbeat for admittedly weak flying stab. It seems like a cool mon, RU at worst imo, CB still seems great and its speed tier is fantastic.
:ss/Registeel: Fat mixed defenses Steel that pairs well with wish support. REALLY straight forward pokemon honestly, it walls a good amount and eats hits decently while throwing out seismics, toxics, heavy slams, eqs, etc. RU at worst prob, no more alo to pair with ala ORAS RU definitely sucks in a gen so riddled with knocks to remove lefties but it'll manage.
:ss/regirock: Pure rock with unrivaled physical bulk and great special bulk, alongside solid offensive prescence that allows it to pull off restalk+curse or SR 2 atks tox sets decently, as wel as being a solid manual weather setter for lower tiers. NU at worst prob.
:ss/kabutops: Neat offensive typing and SD+SR alongside priority but it now competes with drednaw, and im not exactly good enough at lower tiers to say who is better. Prolly around NU/PU.
:ss/Jynx: Fast NP mon with pretty much no physical bulk but a great offensive typing, Boots are also great for this and lovely kiss seems borked as usual. no HP hurts of course but it should be strong enough to be worth weakening steels for honestly, screams NU to me.
:ss/diancie: Fat fairy type rocker with an unfortunate rock typing that does at least grant it some cool resists, like flying. Seems like a good RU mon due to its great bulk, okay offensive prescence, and solid movepool.
:ss/altaria: seems like a neat mon actually. Boots help it alot and its bulk is quite respectable alongside its solid ability in natural cure, pretty bad offensive prescence though. NU/RU maybe? (edit: I don't know what solar system I was in when I said NU/RU lol, this is forsure some PU, NU at best, middle of the road garb)
:ss/stakataka: Cool TR mon, bad typing kinda holds it back but its a powerhouse when its allowed to function under its preferred environment. UU/RU maybe? Stomping on the majority of dragons defensively is pretty useful for setting up.
:ss/nihilego: Might have a niche in OU as a lead but besides that it's a pretty specially bulky powerful Rock/Poison with a very respectable speed tier of 103. Seems like a good UU mon to me, Z moves not existing sucks for it but the power level is generally much lower than last gen, to be fair to it.
:ss/cresselia: Still pretty passive and has to rely on awful recovery but I could see this cementing itself in UU or RUbl just on how obscenely bulky it is without pursuit around. Might have a niche in OU bcuz of aforementioned no pursuit+enormous bulk, I wouldn't be surprised.
:ss/volcanion: Boots are neat but HP going means gastro/Seis wall it decently and it still can't do anything to dragons reliably. Specs or boots seem cool in UU but if this lands in OU for a long period of time I will be very surprised (unless some random poketuber hypes it up and drags it thru a metagame its pretty below average in, like Ttar for most of this metagame and Mamo in SM.)
:ss/cryogonal: great spdef, great speed, solid spa, bad defensive typing, benefits from boots. Spin+boots seems like a great set for PU/NU.
:ss/walrein: Super fat Water/Ice type, seems good in PU I guess. Rocks weakness+no reliable recovery really hold this back, and its pretty offensively lackluster.
:ss/carracosta: All or nothing shell smasher that's bodied by priority and scarfers but has great bulk to setup with and good offenses to make up for it. PU like last gen prob.
:ss/Archeops: Defeatist is a death knell for it ever going past like NU at best but it is really strong and fast. No item acrobats or boots 3 atks roost sets will prolly cement themselves as solid in NU.
:ss/electivire: Genuinely could not care less about this mon, awkward stats, bad typing, no more HP for special sets. PU mon at best prob lol.
:ss/magmortar: Boots and specs seem good in NU due to this mon's solid defensive utility granted by its resists+good spdef and great offensive prescence. RU/NU prob.
:ss/audino: Fat but passive pure normal with Regenerator. NU maybe?
:ss/absol: Super frail and decently powerful with a great stab, but pretty slow unfort. SD seems good in PU.
:ss/Guzzlord: Fat Dragon that seems good in NU with specs due to its good dual stab and movepool.
:ss/regice: Boots help this i guess but its spa stat is just average and its typing is still unfortunate for switching into things. NU doesn't seem too outlandish for it.
:ss/spiritomb: Relies on lefties in a knock filled gen, no more pursuit, awkward defensive typing, mediocre stats w/ bad HP and speed. PU/NU
:ss/omastar: Shell smash, dual hazards, cool stab combo, but there's so many rock waters that end up in lower tiers that this could just end up being a lead and not much more honestly. PU
:ss/Cradily: Fat with a cool typing+a water immunity. Decent offensive prescence I suppose and access to SD/Curse for boosting up, as well as instant recovery. NU perhaps?
:ss/armaldo: Average bulk, bad typing, benefits from boots i guess. Offensively its solid but it's so SLOW and is weak to alot of common offensive typings (Water and Rock primarily). PU prob.
:ss/Relicanth: ANOTHER rock water, seriously? At least this ones semi unique due to Rock Head Head Smash. CB seems cool in NU.
:ss/regigigas: still suffering since its introduction due to a horrible ability. untiered or PU at best.
:ss/Carbink: low tier screens lead I guess, no custap REALLY sucks for it.
EN8Sp13WAAAZHzz[1].jpg
These will be pretty sloppy opinions because honestly there's way too little concrete info on them to be sure of anything
Articuno seems pretty meh due to having a stab combo walled by steels and a presumably pretty average signature (I doubt the freeze chance will be beyond 20% at most)

Zapdos seems really solid on HO due to having defiant to diswade defog and a stab combo walled only by regular Zapdos and Aegislash (though something tells me this will have dark coverage), as well as what is presumably a fire lash clone for its stab, although I assume it'll be higher BP.

Moltres seems okay due to its great typing but its ability is meh and its signature seems like just a better dark pulse.

Slowking seems kinda bad as it doesn't even have the cheese potential Galarian Slowbro does (thanks quick draw), and has a noticeably worse defensive typing than its kanto counterpart.

Regielec seems great with a great signature akin to magma storm and, presumably, a similar stat spread to its counterparts.

Regidraco seems alright, a water spout clone seems average when Dragon has a common immunity but I doubt it'll be lacking in the stat department.
:ss/tapu lele: This would've been broken if they gave it nothing but of course it got an even easier to spam psychic stab. Expanding force+Psyshock+Focus blast+Tbolt isn't even possible to midground anymore, and pursuit is gone to noticably limit it. This mon was always stupid but this is just really the apex of spammable. HP fire going barely matters because mscizor doesn't exist and even that was barely a good switchin with rocks up regardless.
:ss/tapu koko: CC+rising voltage+play rough, whyyyy. This looks ludicrously versatile and difficult to handle, being able to run Mixed, Special, or fully Physical effectively now, albeit wild charge is still kind of a bad stab. I don't see this lasting very long at all, especially since lando isn't a fairy stab switchin and Gliscor doesn't even exist.
:ss/tapu bulu: Looks alright, the moves it gained from the DLC look solid, especially CC and Grassy Glide, but Rillaboom is still faster than Heatran and packs u turn+knock for CB sets to wear down its counterplay almost entirely by itself. Sure, Bulu has more defensive utility, but I really don't see this being broken or anything.
:ss/tapu fini: No ash gren sucks but its terrain is still pretty good and it switches into Heatran pretty well, especially without z crystals in existence. It definitely won't be as good as last gen but it certainly won't suck or anything.
:ss/heatran: While this didn't really gain anything significant, this pokemon is still, yknow, one of the best bulky offensive picks ever. great typing that resists psy/fairy+fire coverage, great power, decent set variety, the ability to trap pokemon like Toxapex or Blissey for its teammates, it's just really good and i'll be glad to have it back when building.
:ss/Landorus: This won't last very long at all lol, especially if it gets Hurricane as it has been alluded to receiving. Solid Speed tier, decent defensive use, and pretty much impossible to wall. The best checks out there are still just that, checks, and lose to decent play a good chunk of the time. If this lasts as a balanced part of the metagame, I will be extremely surprised.
:ss/Landorus-therian: THANK GOD, a splashable electric immunity that isn't made of paper. I can finally stop having to pack like 1 of 3 (2 of which being quite awkward to fit usually) mons to not get rolled over by Volturn spam. Ignoring my hatred of prepping for pivot spam, it's Lando-t. It's great glue with solid offensive presence that's balanced by how easy it is to wear down. Losing Z moves hurt this mon ALOT and now means pokemon like Tangrowth can consistently switch into it almost completely safely (I dont see special Hurricane being all that common lol), and HP fire/Ice going means it can no longer check itself or OHKO Kartana, but while those are noticable nerfs alongside the introduction of a new hard check in Corviknight, this is a reliable, consistent pokemon from gen to gen so I dont expect too much different, albeit i dont see it being as absolutely meta defining as most people, simply due to how some of the new introductions just destroy it (like Rillaboom).
:ss/thundurus: no HP ice hurts this mon so much but it still has Knock+priority Twave, as well as a great speed tier and NP. UUBl or even UU seem kinda likely given it just lost so much with hp ice no longer being in its movepool.
:ss/thundurus-therian: Most of what I said above applies to this variant, except its hit even harder because pretty much all it had was sheer wallbreaking power.
:ss/Tornadus-therian: It doesn't beat CB rilla reliably at all (252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian in Grassy Terrain: 142-168 (39.2 - 46.4%) but this still seems REALLY broken. I'm not even talking about Nasty plot being in its movepool, how do you prevent Boots Knock Hurri from making progress with anything but zapdos? Its longevity was already so good and now it's just ludicrous alongside all of its offensive and supportive options.
:ss/garchomp: solid Offensive heatran check with rocks and a respectable speed tier. Corviknight is a thorn in its side but it is Garchomp afterall. It'll more than manage and cement itself as solid at the very least, assuming
:ss/zygarde: this broken monster doesn't stay in the metagame. People talk about Lando-T appreciating HP ice being gone (which it doesn't and that is a double edged sword) but this genuinely really appreciates HP ice going, as now mons like Lando-T are barely checks and Tang can't chunk it as heavily. This still seems like a stupid pokemon that's stupid hard to consistently answer even without Z moves and spams glare to cheese past its answers if all else fails. It's usually not unbeatable but it seems really awful to build around. (this is all assuming it still has Tarrows btw lol, otherwise its just an average coil wincon that sits in UUbl forever)
:ss/Pheromosa: Broken speed tier but it's now pretty unable to touch toxapex (drill run doesn't do nearly enough to physdef), not that it matters too much when it can just spam u-turn until the sun dies, thanks to hdb. It has practically no defensive uses beyond revenging (which it is really good at with its huge speed tier), but prepping for it just does not sound even remotely fun, it's just so fast and seems difficult to wall beyond pex.
:ss/blaziken: I'm not against this getting a shot in OU but I'm still expecting it to get banned, it's just too hard to handle outside of priority, Hippo, Pex (assuming they lack eq), or Slowbro, which isn't a very long list when youre too fast for the grand majority of pokemon and strong enough to force switches decently enough.
:ss/salamence: Worse Drill Peck won't change the fact this pokemon kind of suffers from alot of gyarados' issues, aka lacks good flying stab, is prone to being priority spammed to death, can struggle to attain setup oppurtunities, takes quite a bit of support to power thru toxapex, as well as struggling to break thru fairies in general.
:ss/dragonite: this pokemon might fare better than mence because its raw bulk when rocks arent in the picture is crazy, meaning it doesn't struggle very much to find pokemon to abuse for setup. Heal bell being legal with multiscale also seems pretty neat for a niche semi-stall Dragonite.
:ss/buzzwole: Extremely physically fat with access to reliable recovery, and being the only pokemon that can reliably beat Urshifu excluding aerial ace (which leaves it walled by fairies so). The hits this pokemon can live are honestly incredible, on the physical side.
:ss/celesteela: I worry this mon's offensive capabilities won't be enough to leave it worth using over Corviknight, who is generally a better steel bird wall. Maybe not though, I don't really have much opinion on this beyond that. It's supremely annoying to switch into but hates knock off (which is everywhere in this metagame) and is prone to being worn down quickly, due to its overreliance on lefties/Leech Seed+Protect for longevity.
:ss/moltres: I don't see this lasting in OU because of how common knock is and how much it'll be competing with a spot on teams with other defoggers like Zapdos and Corviknight but i do see it at least retaining a niche. Boots are a godsent for it and make it a pretty cool choice on paper for fatter teams that dont wanna deal with how annoying heatran is without Gliscor around, albiet toxic still cripples it a ton.
:ss/zapdos: Literally unkillable. Boots are SO big for this pokemon, and static is just perpetually annoying. No HP ice sucks but Gliscor also doesn't exist so Heat Wave+Discharge sounds fine anyways due to the, albiet miniscule, threat of burn and lack of Z's on Lando or Chomp. I'm looking forward to using this, as it seems like great defensive glue that isn't overly passive, but it seems insanely annoying to deal with. Regarding offensive sets, they seem pretty good but somewhat restricted in what they fit on due to zapdos' great defensive uses.
:ss/Xurkitree: Slow, awkward coverage movepool, insanely strong, mediocre bulk. screams UUbl to me lol.
:ss/Blacephalon: Boots benefit this mon's cm set alot but no Pursuit is just a game changer. Ttar has always been its achilles heel due to its event locked IVs not allowing for HP fighting, but not Ttar can't just pursuit it out of existence. It seems really difficult to deal with due to Trick spam disabling the blobs on choiced sets and CM sub sets just coming in repeatedly quite easily vs very fat teams, although its still made of tissue paper. not broken, but OU for sure.
:ss/victini: Another mon that hated Pursuit and especially Ttar but no longer has to concern itself with being trapped at all. Does it seem broken? No, it still suffers from a rocks weakness while giving up a noticable amount of power/speed if it goes for HDB and has a pretty specific defensive typing, not to mention an awful knock weakness. Does it seem very good? Yes, Very much so.
:ss/genesect: Another Strong u-turn spammer with a great movepool that, while "technically" wallable if you assume u turn doesn't force hazard damage and chip extremely easily, is horrible to consistently answer while having great set variety and a respectable amount of longevity. Broken, broken, and broken.
:ss/latias: :ss/latios: Latios seems a little overwhelming without Pursuit and with Aura sphere+Mystical fire in its moveset, not gonna lie. Trick+Aura Sphere+Stabs alone seems really painful to defensively answer, while being plenty fast and plenty bulky. Latias on the other hand, is considerably weaker without being bulky enough to be worrying. I see it just being really, really good and reliable with CM 2 atks recover, Specs, Scarf, and LO.
:ss/kartana: I think alot of people are really underestimating how much Z mattered to Kartana and how much Zapdos getting a big buff hurts it. This just seems like a good Scarfer/ decent SD breaker, its stab combo is underwhelming and its coverage is alot easier to stomach when it isn't 180 BP. Good defensive utility, awful spdef, u know the drill.
To round it off, these are just quick thoughts on the pokes banned earlier in the gen and if my useless opinion dictates them being worth looking into again
:ss/kyurem-black: yeaaa no, DD+an almost unresisted stab combo is extremely stupid, no matter how you slice it.
:ss/dracovish: No! Extremely limiting and punishing if you don't follow the strict defensive structure it mandates, and all of its counterplay is punished by spikes. not to mention its bulk is actually rather respectable.
:ss/darmanitan-galar: N o p l s.Still no consistent defensive counterplay (Rip Alomomola) and the guessing game between Scarf or Band is deadly. It's a fun mon but it is not even remotely balanced for singles. Glass cannon to the extreme and another mon that can spam U-turn and achieve progress.
:ss/cinderace: Why not? It'll probably still be broken since strong U-turn+great speed tier+solid longevity+good offensive movepool is a stupid combo but stuff like Heatran actually open up moveslot issues for it, and its speed tier wouldn't be nearly as dominating as it is currently.
:ss/melmetal: out of all of these, this pokemon is honestly the one I see being the least overwhelming. It's a good breaker, don't get me wrong. It is really fat, for sure, but it simply lacks the speed or recovery to fully take advantage of its bulk or power. It struggles to break past certain pokemon like Skarm without Twave support and gets destroyed by Rocky helm on stuff like Slowbro or Ferro if it predicts incorrectly.
:ss/Dugtrio: No pls. I do not like trapping and I do not like what this pokemon feels like to play against. it's awfully limiting to not feel safe using a counter because it's duggy weak, especially with pokemon whose only counters/hard checks are duggy weak, like Genesect.
:gothitelle: :wobbuffet: aka shadow tag: W H E E Z E
:ss/magearna: not many of the new additions honestly bother this pokemon a whole lot, but idt testing it would be that big of a waste of time. Its bulk and set variety is still huge, and specs is still borderline impossible to defensively counter, but pokemon like Kartana, Victini, Lando-t, and Heatran do at least threaten to do big damage to it, which is more than we had before.
Tier list where I barely considered order within the tiers themselves

Last edited:
:ss/omastar: Shell smash, dual hazards, cool stab combo, but there's so many rock waters that end up in lower tiers that this could just end up being a lead and not much more honestly. PU
I didn't mention Omastar in my post since it doesn't seem like it would cut it at all in OU due to Grassy Glide and lack of setup opportunities but I cannot stand this disrespect. Meteor Beam + Shell Smash is godlike on this mon.

+3 252+ SpA Omastar Meteor Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 276-325 (90.7 - 106.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
+3 252+ SpA Omastar Meteor Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Corviknight: 394-465 (98.5 - 116.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+3 252+ SpA Omastar Meteor Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 379-447 (53 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+3 252+ SpA Omastar Meteor Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 216-254 (61.3 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Look at that power. It just Shell Smashes and clicks an unresisted Meteor Beam that owns everything. In fact, Omastar will have the meatiest Meteor Beam in the game after Nihilego. You ever just kill Toxapex with a neutral hit after a single turn of setup? It's a great feeling. Previously Omastar could be checked by bulky waters fairly easily, but now they need to resist Rock too in order to check it, meaning that Gastrodon can still be a pretty safe stop, but basically every other special tank will struggle more.

Thanks to the Ability Patch and Nature Mints, it is possible now to make legal sets that we could only dream of before.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Aromatherapy
- Knock Off

Unaware Clefable with reliable recovery. This pretty much only fits on stall but it is much more reliable at what it does, and can replace Quagsire and Pyukumuku for much of what they do, or pair with them to form an effective Unaware core. Too bad you can't run two Clefable.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid/Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Steel Beam
- Earth Power/Scorching Sands
- Eruption
Heatran can be a good alternative to Charizard for sun teams, as it doesn't require nearly as much hazard control and is faster, albeit fairly weaker. It is still strong as hell, capable of feats like 2HKOing physically defensive Toxapex after rocks with Eruption under sun. Steel Beam is another nuke that can be used to get Heatran to kill itself if desired (basically an Explosion acting over two turns). It 2HKOs specially defensive Tyranitar, something that sun teams don't like facing for obvious reasons. Scorching Sands is slashed to potentially cripple some switch-ins like the aforementioned Tyranitar, Toxapex, as well as hitting opposing Heatran.

Genesect @ Life Orb/Metal Coat/Lum Berry
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
Shiny: Yes
- Shift Gear
- Extreme Speed
-
Blaze Kick
- Iron Head
Genesect can run Shift Gear and Extreme Speed coupled with any nature now, previously forced to use Hasty. This increases its damage output and makes it more resilient to priority. This set is purely physical just to better showcase the potential of the Nature Mint, but mixed is still a viable option with Thunderbolt for Toxapex, Ice Beam for Lando/Chomp, and of course you don't have to run Shift Gear. Remember to always run Shiny just in case because otherwise you will tell your opponent you don't have these previously nature-locked moves.

Entei @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def /252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
Shiny: Yes
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Stomping Tantrum
Entei benefits from both the Mint and the Ability Patch, allowing it to use Inner Focus and a different nature alongside Extreme Speed. Inner Focus in Sword & Shield prevents Intimidate from activating which makes Landorus-Therian a shaky check coupled with the burn chance from Sacred Fire. Of course, Entei still isn't all that great, being held back by bulky waters in general and the low PP of Sacred Fire, so it will just be a niche pick in OU. It will have probably better luck in UU where Inner Focus can still help it against Krookodile and Incineroar.

Dracozolt @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 80 Atk / 172 Spa / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
The Ability Patch also allows unreleased hidden abilities to be usable, of course. In practice, this includes just the Tapus (with Telepathy), Heatran (with Flame Body) and the Galarian fossils, which are the actually interesting ones. Sand Rush itself is honestly a good reason to not even bother considering a Dracovish retest, in my opinion, but its Electric cousin still has interesting tricks up its sleeves that allow it to be a true team player in sand. Bolt Beak just ravages threats that typically give Excadrill trouble, like Corviknight, Pelipper, Mandibuzz, Zapdos, Slowbro, Crawdaunt, and so on. Draco Meteor is a tech that has already been discovered and is useful for killing bulky Ground types like Garchomp (OHKO'd), Hippowdon, Landorus-Therian, as well as other bulky dragons like Kommo-o and Latias that Excadrill somewhat struggles against. Fire Blast, likewise, kills various Grass types like Ferrothorn, Kartana, Tangrowth and Rillaboom. Earthquake is used over Low Kick to OHKO Tapu Koko and Zeraora. The main drawback of Dracozolt is heavily stacking Ground weaknesses with Excadrill and potentially Tyranitar. It could be solved by including Rillaboom in the team but that would require to run High Horsepower instead of Earthquake.

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
These new sets are really cool, but I think you forgot to point out the most hype of them all, so I’ll do it. Let me introduce you the hail monster Arctovish. Not only does this mon shine with its amazing design but he is also one of the best “hail abuser”.

arctovish.gif

Arctovish @ Choice Band
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Psychic Fangs
- Icicle Crash
- Crunch

If you miss the good old time when we could mindlessly click Fishious Rend and score kills, this is the mon you need (Don’t ask me why I put these moves, we all know that we’ll only be clicking Fishious Rend anyway).

Will Arctovish make Hail teams great again? Will he become the new Dracovish forcing us to run Water absorber?
These questions will be answered in the near future.

:clefable: Yeah Clef is getting Unaware + Soft boiled, yeah everyone loves playing Clef, he’s such a cool and underrated mon, yeah. :clefable:

These new sets are really cool, but I think you forgot to point out the most hype of them all, so I’ll do it. Let me introduce you the hail monster Arctovish. Not only does this mon shine with its amazing design but he is also one of the best “hail abuser”.

View attachment 281293

Arctovish @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Psychic Fangs
- Icicle Crash
- Crunch

If you miss the good old time when we could mindlessly click Fishious Rend and score kills, this is the mon you need (Don’t ask me why I put these moves, we all know that we’ll only be clicking Fishious Rend anyway).

Will Arctovish make Hail teams great again? Will he become the new Dracovish forcing us to run Water absorber?
These questions will be answered in the near future.

:clefable: Yeah Clef is getting Unaware + Soft boiled, yeah everyone loves playing Clef, he’s such a cool and underrated mon, yeah. :clefable:
Arctovish AND Arctozolt have freezy-dry for Toxapex and Slowbro. Give them a life orb with a good hail suport and GG.

Sorry for my english, guys. I'm brazilian XD

Arctovish @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Psychic Fangs
- Icicle Crash
- Crunch
While Slush Rush Arctovish is going to be standard on Hail-Teams (Aurora Veil teams?), Banded Fishious Rend isn't as strong as people might suspect: It is basically a super effective Icicle Crash on neutral targets. Also you have to be Jolly unlike Dracovish because Adamant can't outspeed Dragapult and Zeraora.
252 Atk Choice Band Arctovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Urshifu: 322-379 (94.4 - 111.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Arctovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 322-381 (79.7 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Arctovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 283-334 (71.8 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Arctovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 204-241 (64.3 - 76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage

252+ Atk Choice Band Arctovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 94-111 (30.09 - 36.5%) -- 69.4% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Arctovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 105-125 (29.8 - 35.5%)
- - -

Also, I would be surprised if Pheromosa stays OU despite being better than Deoxys Normal (which was always UBER afaik) - it getting more coverage options which can threaten ghost types (Throat Chop) is ridiculous - not to mention:

252 Atk Choice Band Pheromosa Drill Run vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 146-172 (48 - 56.5%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO

I don't like the thought of Pheromosa theoretically being able to threaten Pex. Although to be honest Choice Band is not its best set...

While Slush Rush Arctovish is going to be standard on Hail-Teams (Aurora Veil teams?), Banded Fishious Rend isn't as strong as people might suspect: It is basically a super effective Icicle Crash on neutral targets. Also you have to be Jolly unlike Dracovish because Adamant can't outspeed Dragapult and Zeraora.
252 Atk Choice Band Arctovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Urshifu: 322-379 (94.4 - 111.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Arctovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 322-381 (79.7 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Arctovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 283-334 (71.8 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Arctovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 204-241 (64.3 - 76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage

252+ Atk Choice Band Arctovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 94-111 (30.09 - 36.5%) -- 69.4% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Arctovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 105-125 (29.8 - 35.5%)
- - -

Also, I would be surprised if Pheromosa stays OU despite being better than Deoxys Normal (which was always UBER afaik) - it getting more coverage options which can threaten ghost types (Throat Chop) is ridiculous - not to mention:

252 Atk Choice Band Pheromosa Drill Run vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 146-172 (48 - 56.5%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO

I don't like the thought of Pheromosa theoretically being able to threaten Pex. Although to be honest Choice Band is not its best set...
I'm using Google Translate to communicate, so I'm sorry for potential mistakes or if I sound inappropriate: 3

I think you would have to use icy rock instead of light clay since hail is more fundamental to Vish's sweep than extra protection since its typing is atrocious anyway and would probably only work in HO. I even tried to make a semi-hail balanced team with Alolantales, Life Orb Adamant Arctozolt (coverage that reaches almost everything in Bolt Beak, Icicle Crash, Freezy-Dry for water ground mon, Stomping Tantrum or Substitute maybe) WishPort Clefable physical defensive aiming to let them healthy and bring one or the other safely with Corviknight or Zapdos at the side so as not to overburden her physically, Teleport Blissey with Thunder Wave and some other offensive mon. That said, I don't know if Tales is viable in these teams because of its fragility, but I don't know what can replace it (icy rock hail Pex meme maybe ???)

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
GZ.png

To preface, I'll say that I haven't played Pokemon in a while, so please forgive me if I come off as quite rusty or noobish. Anyway, I noticed this bird wasn't getting much attention, and I suppose with the huge pool of old OU gods making their return, it makes sense, but this thing has (presumably) quite a lot of impressive qualities that I think will make it a really solid Pokemon in the upcoming metagame.

Only its typing and ability are confirmed, so speculating about its movepool and stats are required, but we don't have to do anything crazy to see that it has a lot of potential.

For Galar-Zapdos I'll presume the following:
  • Thunderous Kick will be 80 base power and have a 100% chance of lowering the opponent's defense by 1 stage. This makes it a fighting-type equivalent to Centiscorch's Fire Lash. Gamefreak is no stranger to making clones of moves, so I think this is pretty fair.
  • Roost, Brave Bird, Bulk Up, and Knock Off are part of its movepool. The first three I would imagine are sure things, physical birds that lacks BB, fighting-types that lack Bulk Up, and birds that lacks Roost are pretty much non-existent. Knock Off is the biggest stretch here, but I will say this move is pretty much handed out like candy on halloween, and we shall see later in this post that even if it lacks this move, it's not that big of a deal.
  • Its stats will be very similar to Kanto Zapdos, with swapped attacking stats, 90 / 125 / 85 / 90 / 90 / 100. Obviously this Pokemon is a physical attacker, given it has a physical signature move, and I think its also fair to estimate that it will be kind of beefy based on its morphology, and not slow either, given the flavour text on the official website, the size of its legs, and the speed of the real animal its modeled after. Though few alternate formes actually follow a mere stat-swap formula (though some do: Cofagrugius and Runerigus), and the flavour text on the official websites seems to suggest Galardos is even faster than this (!!), I think this spread will give us a good picture of its performance.
So what does GZ have going for it?

Firstly, Flying/Fighting is a fantastic typing. Obviously this is true offensively, but it's certainly no slouch defensively either. Flying/Fighting has the highly sought after quality of not being weak to the common coverage moves of what it resists and is immune to. It resists dark, but is not weak to fighting.. in fact it resists it. It's immune to ground, but is not weak to rock. It resists grass, but is not weak to the rock moves used to snipe flying- and bug-types, nor the fighting- and ground-type attacks reserved for the steels. If that weren't enough, some particularly common utility attacks like Body Press, U-turn, Knock Off and Foul Play are resisted. The stealth rock neutrality and spikes immunity is just cake. Hawlucha's defensive stats suck, and yet it somehow manages to be hard to kill. Imagine what happens when something beefy like GZ enters the field.

To continue to riff on typing here.. there are a handful of common (and soon to be common) offensive threats in SS OU whose cookie-cutter sets are well checked by the ostrich. Rilla, Tapu Bulu, and Urshifu's standard sets contain nothing but moves that GZ resists, to which it replies with a threat to OHKO. While a 0/4 GZ is not exactly a hard counter (especially considering that Rilla/Urshifu can carry a flying move, though they certainly prefer not to), this defensive utility against common threats spells viability, especially in combination with just how many common OU mons Flying/Fighting nails super effectively.

Secondly, this move Thunderous Kick is ridiculous. This is all speculation of course, but its remarkable how little cost there is relative to the amount of work this move puts in to overcome the problem that every offensive Pokemon must face, the problem of just being totally neutralized by walls. Skarmory, Corvinight, Mandibuzz (don't mention mirror armor and big pecks, ill get to that) Celesteela, Hippowdon, and such excellent physical walls all begin to sweat and must readjust their sets to cope when faced with an immediate -1 to their defenses, without GZ having to do much of any prediction, moveslot investment, or make costly item choices. Even the mighty Toxapex is threatened in a 1v1 situation, it simply can't keep up between having to juggle Haze and Recover to stay away from a Brave Bird (though of course it only need land a burn to put that fucking grin back on its face, and can freely switch out of dangerous -1 situations). Clefable deserves some mention here too, and it's not exactly a safe bet, this calculation speaks for itself. 252 Atk Sharp Beak Hawlucha (125 base attack) Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 201-237 (51 - 60.1%) -- 88.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.

Thirdly, Defiant rips in a metagame where Defog is common, and Landorus-T is about to stake its claim. How many teams are going to be reliant on Lando-T as their blanket physically defensive pivot when it becomes available? Of course the answer is: "countless", the same as it was in any previous metagames he was in. Any Defog Skarm, Corv, or Mandi without Brave Bird is just defog switch in bait for GZap. And Aegislash? Even without Knock Off, Defiant giving GZ a +1 boost everytime Aegis has to shield, in combination with either nabbing a +1 Bulk Up on switch in, or outplaying with Substitute is very threatening.

Galarian-Zapdos @ Sharp Beak / Leftovers
Jolly Nature
Ability: Defiant
- Thunderous Kick
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Knock Off / Bulk Up / Substitute

This is probably the most obvious G-Zap set. Just a solid physical attacker with some useful defensive attributes. It can outspeed and threaten an OHKO on plenty of Pokemon with its super-effective STABs, cause havoc to the opponent's defenses, provide some useful resistances and immunities, check some important threats, stay in the fight with Roost, knock off some items, and just overall pull its weight and then some.

The choice of the last move is, in my opinion, where GZ starts to get interesting, because it lets it really flex as a serious threat to defensive cores.

Knock Off is the most generic thing here. Rocky Helmets are obviously a bitch for GZ, so being able to rid itself of this problem is pretty nice. It's also just a great move to have to throw around for Pokemon that will presumably be capable of forcing switches and it gets a super effective hit on Aegislash, so that's good.

Now, I said that access to Knock Off is probably the biggest stretch here, but, honestly, GZ doesn't even need it.

Bulk Up is a really threatening option. I mentioned earlier that a lot of common defensive Pokemon can cope with Neo-Zapdos, given the right movesets. Sure, the analyses' pressure - defog/roost/body-press/u-turn Corvinight is useless against GZ, but what happens when it decides to swap in Mirror Armor and Brave Bird? Even this Corv has a problem on its hands if Zapdos bulks up on switch in. It's a many-turn affair, but if Corv is unsuccessful at landing a critical hit over the next few turns, its going to die. Similar things can said about Big Pecks Mandibuzz, Brave Bird Skarm, and many other defensive Pokemon like Celesteela or Hippowdon. Toxapex switching into Bulk Up leaves it in a tough position, a +1 BB followed by the +0 hazed BB is a guaranteed 2HKO. While, recoil, rocky helmet, and regenerator make the mindless Pex still annoying, Dos can hope to match some of this longevity with its own healing, will leave Pex with a nasty bruise, and perhaps with just a bit of Knock Off or Hazard support alongside the ostrich, Pex will be in serious danger.

Substitute is another impressive anti-metagame option. It runs circles around Aegislash and Toxapex. Pex cannot break its sub with Scald, ensuring that Zapdos stays completely healthy, and because Scald is required twice for every one of Zap's subs, it will run out of PP before this happens. Nevermind the need to constantly be hazing away the rising tide of defense drops. It also stops Celesteela's leech seeds, any stray toxics from Corv/Skarm that might think to defuse the situation like this, and plays some pretty bad mindgames with Counter Skarm. This option is probably not as good as the others, but I imagine being able to put the screws on Toxapex and Aegislash is a pretty good quality for a generalist attacker to have.

Oh, and this thing probably gets defog, and it's probably good at it too. Immune to spikes/t-spikes, neutral to SR, reliable recovery, and still excellent offensive capabilities between its dual STABs.

As far as downsides go, either or ironically or fittingly, I can't decide, Kanto Zapdos is a huge thorn in Galar-Zapdos' side, it's pretty much a hard counter. Slowbro is also a pretty good counter, and im sure Real Hardcore Stall will have no trouble neutralizing Zappy with whatever bullshit they play at these days. Checking G-Zap isn't exactly too hard to imagine, just outspeed it and hit with a good super effective attack, preferably STAB and Special from the likes of, say, Alakazam, Raikou, Latios/as, Tapu Koko, Zeraora, or on the physical side Weavile. Pokemon sufficiently beefy enough to stomach a hit and strike back at a weakness like Clefable, Hatterene, Togekiss, Tapu Fini are naturally problematic as well. But this is all par for the course for a Pokemon that isn't broken.

I know its stats and Thunderous Kick's base power aren't revealed, and there's always the chance that they could be a total bust, but, I am kind of hyped about this thing, and I made pretty conservative estimates.

View attachment 281447
To preface, I'll say that I haven't played Pokemon in a while, so please forgive me if I come off as quite rusty or noobish. Anyway, I noticed this bird wasn't getting much attention, and I suppose with the huge pool of old OU gods making their return, it makes sense, but this thing has (presumably) quite a lot of impressive qualities that I think will make it a really solid Pokemon in the upcoming metagame.

Only its typing and ability are confirmed, so speculating about its movepool and stats are required, but we don't have to do anything crazy to see that it has a lot of potential.

For Galar-Zapdos I'll presume the following:
  • Thunderous Kick will be 80 base power and have a 100% chance of lowering the opponent's defense by 1 stage. This makes it a fighting-type equivalent to Centiscorch's Fire Lash. Gamefreak is no stranger to making clones of moves, so I think this is pretty fair.
  • Roost, Brave Bird, Bulk Up, and Knock Off are part of its movepool. The first three I would imagine are sure things, physical birds that lacks BB, fighting-types that lack Bulk Up, and birds that lacks Roost are pretty much non-existent. Knock Off is the biggest stretch here, but I will say this move is pretty much handed out like candy on halloween, and we shall see later in this post that even if it lacks this move, it's not that big of a deal.
  • Its stats will be very similar to Kanto Zapdos, with swapped attacking stats, 90 / 125 / 85 / 90 / 90 / 100. Obviously this Pokemon is a physical attacker, given it has a physical signature move, and I think its also fair to estimate that it will be kind of beefy based on its morphology, and not slow either, given the flavour text on the official website, the size of its legs, and the speed of the real animal its modeled after. Though few alternate formes actually follow a mere stat-swap formula (though some do: Cofagrugius and Runerigus), and the flavour text on the official websites seems to suggest Galardos is even faster than this (!!), I think this spread will give us a good picture of its performance.
So what does GZ have going for it?

Firstly, Flying/Fighting is a fantastic typing. Obviously this is true offensively, but it's certainly no slouch defensively either. Flying/Fighting has the highly sought after quality of not being weak to the common coverage moves of what it resists and is immune to. It resists dark, but is not weak to fighting.. in fact it resists it. It's immune to ground, but is not weak to rock. It resists grass, but is not weak to the rock moves used to snipe flying- and bug-types, nor the fighting- and ground-type attacks reserved for the steels. If that weren't enough, some particularly common utility attacks like Body Press, U-turn, Knock Off and Foul Play are resisted. The stealth rock neutrality and spikes immunity is just cake. Hawlucha's defensive stats suck, and yet it somehow manages to be hard to kill. Imagine what happens when something beefy like GZ enters the field.

To continue to riff on typing here.. there are a handful of common (and soon to be common) offensive threats in SS OU whose cookie-cutter sets are well checked by the ostrich. Rilla, Tapu Bulu, and Urshifu's standard sets contain nothing but moves that GZ resists, to which it replies with a threat to OHKO. While a 0/4 GZ is not exactly a hard counter (especially considering that Rilla/Urshifu can carry a flying move, though they certainly prefer not to), this defensive utility against common threats spells viability, especially in combination with just how many common OU mons Flying/Fighting nails super effectively.

Secondly, this move Thunderous Kick is ridiculous. This is all speculation of course, but its remarkable how little cost there is relative to the amount of work this move puts in to overcome the problem that every offensive Pokemon must face, the problem of just being totally neutralized by walls. Skarmory, Corvinight, Mandibuzz (don't mention mirror armor and big pecks, ill get to that) Celesteela, Hippowdon, and such excellent physical walls all begin to sweat and must readjust their sets to cope when faced with an immediate -1 to their defenses, without GZ having to do much of any prediction, moveslot investment, or make costly item choices. Even the mighty Toxapex is threatened in a 1v1 situation, it simply can't keep up between having to juggle Haze and Recover to stay away from a Brave Bird (though of course it only need land a burn to put that fucking grin back on its face, and can freely switch out of dangerous -1 situations). Clefable deserves some mention here too, and it's not exactly a safe bet, this calculation speaks for itself. 252 Atk Sharp Beak Hawlucha (125 base attack) Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 201-237 (51 - 60.1%) -- 88.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.

Thirdly, Defiant rips in a metagame where Defog is common, and Landorus-T is about to stake its claim. How many teams are going to be reliant on Lando-T as their blanket physically defensive pivot when it becomes available? Of course the answer is: "countless", the same as it was in any previous metagames he was in. Any Defog Skarm, Corv, or Mandi without Brave Bird is just defog switch in bait for GZap. And Aegislash? Even without Knock Off, Defiant giving GZ a +1 boost everytime Aegis has to shield, in combination with either nabbing a +1 Bulk Up on switch in, or outplaying with Substitute is very threatening.

Galarian-Zapdos @ Sharp Beak / Leftovers
Jolly Nature
Ability: Defiant
- Thunderous Kick
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Knock Off / Bulk Up / Substitute

This is probably the most obvious G-Zap set. Just a solid physical attacker with some useful defensive attributes. It can outspeed and threaten an OHKO on plenty of Pokemon with its super-effective STABs, cause havoc to the opponent's defenses, provide some useful resistances and immunities, check some important threats, stay in the fight with Roost, knock off some items, and just overall pull its weight and then some.

The choice of the last move is, in my opinion, where GZ starts to get interesting, because it lets it really flex as a serious threat to defensive cores.

Knock Off is the most generic thing here. Rocky Helmets are obviously a bitch for GZ, so being able to rid itself of this problem is pretty nice. It's also just a great move to have to throw around for Pokemon that will presumably be capable of forcing switches and it gets a super effective hit on Aegislash, so that's good.

Now, I said that access to Knock Off is probably the biggest stretch here, but, honestly, GZ doesn't even need it.

Bulk Up is a really threatening option. I mentioned earlier that a lot of common defensive Pokemon can cope with Neo-Zapdos, given the right movesets. Sure, the analyses' pressure - defog/roost/body-press/u-turn Corvinight is useless against GZ, but what happens when it decides to swap in Mirror Armor and Brave Bird? Even this Corv has a problem on its hands if Zapdos bulks up on switch in. It's a many-turn affair, but if Corv is unsuccessful at landing a critical hit over the next few turns, its going to die. Similar things can said about Big Pecks Mandibuzz, Brave Bird Skarm, and many other defensive Pokemon like Celesteela or Hippowdon. Toxapex switching into Bulk Up leaves it in a tough position, a +1 BB followed by the +0 hazed BB is a guaranteed 2HKO. While, recoil, rocky helmet, and regenerator make the mindless Pex still annoying, Dos can hope to match some of this longevity with its own healing, will leave Pex with a nasty bruise, and perhaps with just a bit of Knock Off or Hazard support alongside the ostrich, Pex will be in serious danger.

Substitute is another impressive anti-metagame option. It runs circles around Aegislash and Toxapex. Pex cannot break its sub with Scald, ensuring that Zapdos stays completely healthy, and because Scald is required twice for every one of Zap's subs, it will run out of PP before this happens. Nevermind the need to constantly be hazing away the rising tide of defense drops. It also stops Celesteela's leech seeds, any stray toxics from Corv/Skarm that might think to defuse the situation like this, and plays some pretty bad mindgames with Counter Skarm. This option is probably not as good as the others, but I imagine being able to put the screws on Toxapex and Aegislash is a pretty good quality for a generalist attacker to have.

Oh, and this thing probably gets defog, and it's probably good at it too. Immune to spikes/t-spikes, neutral to SR, reliable recovery, and still excellent offensive capabilities between its dual STABs.

As far as downsides go, either or ironically or fittingly, I can't decide, Kanto Zapdos is a huge thorn in Galar-Zapdos' side, it's pretty much a hard counter. Slowbro is also a pretty good counter, and im sure Real Hardcore Stall will have no trouble neutralizing Zappy with whatever bullshit they play at these days. Checking G-Zap isn't exactly too hard to imagine, just outspeed it and hit with a good super effective attack, preferably STAB and Special from the likes of, say, Alakazam, Raikou, Latios/as, Tapu Koko, Zeraora, or on the physical side Weavile. Pokemon sufficiently beefy enough to stomach a hit and strike back at a weakness like Clefable, Hatterene, Togekiss, Tapu Fini are naturally problematic as well. But this is all par for the course for a Pokemon that isn't broken.

I know its stats and Thunderous Kick's base power aren't revealed, and there's always the chance that they could be a total bust, but, I am kind of hyped about this thing, and I made pretty conservative estimates.
For all the good you said about gardos I still think you severally undersold it, you completely missed that it’s likely to keeps the u-turn kanto zapdos has but never uses. Thunderous Kick+ Brave bird/Drill peck and Defiant allow it to run defensive sets and still have some kind of offensive pressure with those defensive drops.

it almost reminds me of landorus-T with it’s bulk, offensive pressure and support moves.

I can legitimately see 4 different sets being viable at different times of the meta, the only thing likely holding it back is how much it dislikes the tapu’s

Now i'm not the most knowledgable ou player, but crown tundra drops one more mon that can keep cinderace in check...tank chomp.

Normally cinderace relies on u turn to chip checks and make progress but with chomp on the field, it entirely loses this option because

252 Atk Libero Cinderace U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Garchomp: 102-120 (24.2 - 28.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after 1 layer of Spikes
(Side note: with the entry of latios, justifying adamant on cindy seems difficult to me)

Rather than being able to take 4 hits from u turn, what this truly means is that just by touching chomp 4 times, even with spikes on the dragon's field, cindy will die. Heck even touching it 3 times will drop its health to 10% making it easy picking for everything. Meanwhile, the chomp doesn't need to do a thing, it just needs to come in. Unlike drudigoon or ferrothorn, you can't even predict the switch with gunk shot or pyro balldue to garchomp resisting the moves. Meaning that in a normal game, a cinderace running pyro/turn/zen/gunk or sucker will be completely blanked by a helmet chomp and will mandate teammates with knock off to not be deadweight.

Thus, high jump kick seems almost mandatory now except that

252 Atk Libero Cinderace High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Garchomp: 186-220 (44.2 - 52.3%) -- 19.1% chance to 2HKO

Thats basically 80% chance for cindy to fail to 2hko lol, (in a perfect match,thats 90% of cindya health gone) not to mention the crash chance. And keep in mind that this is just a max attack cindy vs 0 def chomp. If you really want to donk on it, you can just

252 Atk Cinderace High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garchomp: 147-174 (35 - 41.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after 1 layer of Spikes

(You can even run rest, at which point chomp becomes set up bait but will 100% make sure cindy is dead for the matchup. Seems overkill tho)

In general, i think chomps being very underrated here when it has clear niches

Vs grounds
One of the best fire checks in the tier, barring zygarde meaning easier role compression. Rotom heat, heatran, cinderace, volc all struggle hard against chomp ( even blaziken needs life orb to ohko 252hp helmet chomp at+2. Regardless with sr+30%chip+lo, ken is basically at 50% health vs a team with a chomp that only needs to be alive.) After koko gets the boot, it also becomes the best electric check in the tier cuz even tech options like zeras gk and raikous scald won't work on it unlike the other grounds. And of cuz 102 speed+sd+rh rough skin sets.

Heck even sun will have an issue cuz venu can't ko offensive chomp with +2 giga and it outruns zard+survives weather ball.

102 speed
Notably outruns landorus-i, genesect, zygarde, lele, zapdos,urshifu, hydreigon, kyurem. Very useful if running offensive breaker chomp.

Stone edge+fire fang
I'm iffy about sd+sr sets but a lo stone edge from chomp can 2hko even max max +def corviknight so it can still pressure defoggers. Granted its stone edge so...Or you can run just lo sd+eq+se+fire fang sets and 2hko the entire tier, a trait further worsened by the fact that most surviving mons like tang and bro can't exactly threaten it and needs to resort to leech/ scald burns and regen pivoting. While illsuited in todays fairy meta, you can also try outrage thats strong enough to have a chance to ko physically defensive slowbro at +2. Bonus points for being a breaker outrunning offensive mons and being able to reliably 2ko pex without extra effort.

Tldr; don't sleep on chomp, retest cindy

Last edited:
Now i'm not the most knowledgable ou player, but crown tundra drops one more mon that can keep cinderace in check...tank chomp.

Normally cinderace relies on u turn to chip checks and make progress but with chomp on the field, it entirely loses this option because

252 Atk Libero Cinderace U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Garchomp: 102-120 (24.2 - 28.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after 1 layer of Spikes
(Side note: with the entry of latios, justifying adamant on cindy seems difficult to me)

Rather than being able to take 4 hits from u turn, what this truly means is that just by touching chomp 4 times, even with spikes on the dragon's field, cindy will die. Heck even touching it 3 times will drop its health to 10% making it easy picking for everything. Meanwhile, the chomp doesn't need to do a thing, it just needs to come in. Unlike drudigoon or ferrothorn, you can't even predict the switch with gunk shot or pyro balldue to garchomp resisting the moves. Meaning that in a normal game, a cinderace running pyro/turn/zen/gunk or sucker will be completely blanked by a helmet chomp and will mandate teammates with knock off to not be deadweight.

Thus, high jump kick seems almost mandatory now except that

252 Atk Libero Cinderace High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Garchomp: 186-220 (44.2 - 52.3%) -- 19.1% chance to 2HKO

Thats basically 80% chance for cindy to fail to 2hko lol, (in a perfect match,thats 90% of cindya health gone) not to mention the crash chance. And keep in mind that this is just a max attack cindy vs 0 def chomp. If you really want to donk on it, you can just

252 Atk Cinderace High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garchomp: 147-174 (35 - 41.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after 1 layer of Spikes

(You can even run rest, at which point chomp becomes set up bait but will 100% make sure cindy is dead for the matchup. Seems overkill tho)

In general, i think chomps being very underrated here when it has clear niches

Vs grounds
One of the best fire checks in the tier, barring zygarde meaning easier role compression. Rotom heat, heatran, cinderace, volc all struggle hard against chomp ( even blaziken needs life orb to ohko 252hp helmet chomp at+2. Regardless with sr+30%chip+lo, ken is basically at 50% health vs a team with a chomp that only needs to be alive.) After koko gets the boot, it also becomes the best electric check in the tier cuz even tech options like zeras gk and raikous scald won't work on it unlike the other grounds. And of cuz 102 speed+sd+rh rough skin sets.

Heck even sun will have an issue cuz venu can't ko offensive chomp with +2 giga and it outruns zard+survives weather ball.

102 speed
Notably outruns landorus-i, genesect, zygarde, lele, zapdos,urshifu, hydreigon, kyurem. Very useful if running offensive breaker chomp.

Stone edge+fire fang
I'm iffy about sd+sr sets but a lo stone edge from chomp can 2hko even max max +def corviknight so it can still pressure defoggers. Granted its stone edge so...Or you can run just lo sd+eq+se+fire fang sets and 2hko the entire tier, a trait further worsened by the fact that most surviving mons like tang and bro can't exactly threaten it and needs to resort to leech/ scald burns and regen pivoting. While illsuited in todays fairy meta, you can also try outrage thats strong enough to have a chance to ko physically defensive slowbro at +2. Bonus points for being a breaker outrunning offensive mons and being able to reliably 2ko pex without extra effort.

Tldr; don't sleep on chomp, retest cindy
Agreed overall but also keep in mind Latios has the same issue as Gengar, Dragapult, and Alakazam... KOed by Sucker Punch.

252+ Atk Libero Cinderace Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 282-332 (93.6 - 110.2%)

If Cinder comes back I think Adamant will continue to be viable.

Nexomaki

formerly Stratus ATN
I'm really hyped for the new DLC coming out this month, with it breathing new life into the OU metagame. To preface this post, the points I'm about to bring up is pure speculation and nothing is really able to be proven in practice until the DLC actually comes out on October 22nd.

Latios + Urshifu

1602609196935.png

Overview

Despite the shared Fairy weakness, I have a good feeling once the metagame settles/stabilizes, this core will be at the forefront of offensive pressure.
Latios getting Aura Sphere and Mystical Fire really improves its versatility. The removal of Pursuit, in theory, would make this core even better due to the lack of needing to double switch to avoid Latios getting trapped. Urshifu's access to Wicked Blow and U-turn for pivoting makes the core much more reliable for offensive pressure since it eases predictions. The crux of this core is the fact that Latios and Urshifu can target and force out each other's checks. The sheer power of a LO/Choice Specs boosted Draco Meteor/Psychic or a Banded Wicked Blow allows the core to pressure their shared checks like Mandibuzz and Clefable. The unpredictability and multiple sets of these Pokemon have also come into play, with Latios being able to run a Specs set, LO 3 Attacks Roost, 4 Attacks, Scarf, CM, the list goes on. Urshifu can run Bulk Up, Band, Scarf as well, making the core multi-dimensional.

Calcs

To emphasize, these are calcs against Pokemon I think will be viable in the Crown Tundra metagame. The Pokemon listed should be able to check a part of or the entire core in theory.

Clefable
Clefable sprites gallery | Pokémon Database

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 208-247 (52.7 - 62.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 240-283 (60.9 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable on a critical hit: 129-153 (32.7 - 38.8%) -- 5.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 230-272 (58.3 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Urshifu Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 299-354 (75.8 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

The core puts good pressure on Clefable forcing it to recover constantly to not fall to a Specs/LO boosted Psychic or a Banded/+1 LO Poison Jab on the switch. This can allow the team to gain momentum very easily, or even break through the Clef if the Clef is played sloppily. Prediction is needed to pressure Clefable however, as a mistimed Wicked Blow can allow the Clefable free turns. Clefable is probably one of the best checks to this core, forcing both members of the core out, and getting turns to get up rocks, inflict status, or set up.

Tapu Bulu

1602608971086.png

252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Mystical Fire vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Tapu Bulu: 182-216 (53 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and Grassy Terrain recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Mystical Fire vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Tapu Bulu: 161-190 (46.9 - 55.3%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and Grassy Terrain recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Poison Jab vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tapu Bulu: 460-544 (134.1 - 158.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tapu Bulu on a critical hit: 129-153 (37.6 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and Grassy Terrain recovery

0 Atk Tapu Bulu Horn Leech vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios in Grassy Terrain: 80-94 (26.5 - 31.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

248+ Atk Choice Band Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios in Grassy Terrain: 251-296 (83.3 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Although specially defensive sets can stomach Wicked Blows and Psychics thanks to Synthesis/12% passive recovery, it cannot repeatedly switch into boosted Mystical Fires. It is also cleanly OHKO'd by Poison Jab from LO and Banded Sets. Latios can afford to switch into sets lacking Megahorn if it's Roost as well, as long as the Bulu isn't Banded.

Tapu Fini

1602609029224.png

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psychic vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Tapu Fini: 133-157 (38.7 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Tapu Fini: 177-211 (51.6 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Psychic vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Tapu Fini: 153-181 (44.6 - 52.7%) -- 84% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 248 HP / 16 Def Tapu Fini on a critical hit: 128-151 (37.3 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Poison Jab vs. 248 HP / 16 Def Tapu Fini: 228-270 (66.4 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Lack of reliable recovery means that Tapu Fini cannot repeatedly switch into Latios and Urshifu. A Poison Jab or the rare Thunderbolt can put Fini on the backburner for the rest of the game, dealing upwards of 78% percent. Misty Terrain can weaken Latios' Draco Meteor for another teammate to switch in which should be taken to account.

Mandibuzz
Mandibuzz sprites gallery | Pokémon Database

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mandibuzz: 207-243 (48.8 - 57.3%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mandibuzz: 355-421 (83.7 - 99.2%) -- not a KO

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mandibuzz: 282-333 (66.5 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mandibuzz: 110-130 (25.9 - 30.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mandibuzz: 190-226 (44.8 - 53.3%) -- 33.6% chance to 2HKO

Mandibuzz has to pick in the teambuilder if it wants to be a shaky check to Latios or Urshifu. A specially defensive set is pressured significantly by Urshifu, dealing good chip damage with U-turn or threatening a 2HKO with CC. A physically defensive set is OHKO'd over two turns by both LO/Specs Draco Meteor. I've yet to come up with a spread that gives the best of both worlds for Mandibuzz since the U-turn chip from Urshifu can easily put Mandibuzz in range. Mandibuzz's reliance on its HDB can prove troublesome if it is knocked off, giving Latios and Urshifu better rolls vs. it when rocks are up. Mandibuzz's attacking move is also really important as Foul Play can give Urshifu free switch-ins, while Brave Bird and Knock Off can punish the switch-in. Reliable recovery in Roost aids in Mandibuzz being one of the best checks to this core.

Other Pokemon that can check one part of the core, but not the other. (Moves that the core has access to that threaten the check are in parentheses)

Jirachi checks Latios (Mystical Fire, Wicked Blow)

Blissey/Chansey checks Latios (Close Combat)

Aegislash checks Latios (Mystical Fire, Wicked Blow)

Celesteela checks Latios (Mystical Fire, Wicked Blow, Close Combat)

Heatran checks Latios (Close Combat, Aura Sphere)

Toxapex checks Urshifu (Psychic/Psyshock, Thunderbolt)

Kommo-o checks Urshifu (Psychic, Draco Meteor, Close Combat)

Togekiss checks Urshifu (Specs Psychic, Poison Jab, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam)

U-turn is a really big asset, as Urshifu can pivot out of its checks while giving Latios free switch-in opportunities.

Teammates

Because Latios and Urshifu share a devastating Fairy weakness, Steel and Fire-types such as Heatran, Rotom-H, Excadrill, Aegislash, Corviknight would fit very well into this core. The Volt-Turn support from Rotom-Heat and Corviknight can provide ample opportunities for either Latios or Urshifu to switch in. Hazard support is crucial to achieving certain 2HKOs, so teammates like Landorus-T, Excadrill, Clefable, Heatran, and Garchomp can provide hazard support. I would think the core fits best on bulky offense/offensive teams due to the sheer firepower/synergy of the core.

Offensive Checks

Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele are the first that come to mind since the core is threatened by their Fairy STAB. Koko outpaces both Urshifu and Latios as well. Tornadus-T threatens Urshifu with STAB Hurricane and Latios with a super effective Knock Off and U-turns while outpacing both. Tornadus cannot switch-in safely, however. For the most part, anything that can outspeed the core and threaten the OHKO will suffice as an offensive check, but Pokemon like Tapu Koko that can switch into Urshifu's STABs and Latios' Dragon STAB will be more consistent.

Ending Thoughts

From the speculation shown above, would you guys think this would make for a very dangerous core in the future once "quick ban" material like Genesect, Blaziken, Pheromosa, Naganadel, etc. are removed from the OU metagame? Any other possible checks to the core in the metagame? Should I go in-depth into more of the checks? What other pokemon would fit well with this core? LMK.

Last edited:
I got a question: since the tier shifts always takes place at the beginning of the month, would the DLC mons be added on November or they would remain OU regardless of the Nov shifts and drop accordingly on Dec?

I'm really hyped for the new DLC coming out this month, with it breathing new life into the OU metagame. To preface this post, the points I'm about to bring up is pure speculation and nothing is really able to be proven in practice until the DLC actually comes out on October 22nd.

Latios + Urshifu

Latios | Pokemon Wack Wiki | Fandom

Overview

Despite the shared Fairy weakness, I have a good feeling once the metagame settles/stabilizes, this core will be at the forefront of offensive pressure.
Latios getting Aura Sphere and Mystical Fire really improves its versatility. The removal of Pursuit, in theory, would make this core even better due to the lack of needing to double switch to avoid Latios getting trapped. Urshifu's access to Wicked Blow and U-turn for pivoting makes the core much more reliable for offensive pressure since it eases predictions. The crux of this core is the fact that Latios and Urshifu can target and force out each other's checks. The sheer power of a LO/Choice Specs boosted Draco Meteor/Psychic or a Banded Wicked Blow allows the core to pressure their shared checks like Mandibuzz and Clefable. The unpredictability and multiple sets of these Pokemon have also come into play, with Latios being able to run a Specs set, LO 3 Attacks Roost, 4 Attacks, Scarf, CM, the list goes on. Urshifu can run Bulk Up, Band, Scarf as well, making the core multi-dimensional.

Calcs

To emphasize, these are calcs against Pokemon I think will be viable in the Crown Tundra metagame. The Pokemon listed should be able to check a part of or the entire core in theory.

Clefable
Clefable sprites gallery | Pokémon Database

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 208-247 (52.7 - 62.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 240-283 (60.9 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable on a critical hit: 129-153 (32.7 - 38.8%) -- 5.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 230-272 (58.3 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Urshifu Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 299-354 (75.8 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

The core puts good pressure on Clefable forcing it to recover constantly to not fall to a Specs/LO boosted Psychic or a Banded/+1 LO Poison Jab on the switch. This can allow the team to gain momentum very easily, or even break through the Clef if the Clef is played sloppily. Prediction is needed to pressure Clefable however, as a mistimed Wicked Blow can allow the Clefable free turns. Clefable is probably one of the best checks to this core, forcing both members of the core out, and getting turns to get up rocks, inflict status, or set up.

Tapu Bulu

Thumbnail for version as of 23:01, 26 October 2019

252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Mystical Fire vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Tapu Bulu: 182-216 (53 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and Grassy Terrain recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Mystical Fire vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Tapu Bulu: 161-190 (46.9 - 55.3%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and Grassy Terrain recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Poison Jab vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tapu Bulu: 460-544 (134.1 - 158.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tapu Bulu on a critical hit: 129-153 (37.6 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and Grassy Terrain recovery

0 Atk Tapu Bulu Horn Leech vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios in Grassy Terrain: 80-94 (26.5 - 31.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

248+ Atk Choice Band Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios in Grassy Terrain: 251-296 (83.3 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Although specially defensive sets can stomach Wicked Blows and Psychics thanks to Synthesis/12% passive recovery, it cannot repeatedly switch into boosted Mystical Fires. It is also cleanly OHKO'd by Poison Jab from LO and Banded Sets. Latios can afford to switch into sets lacking Megahorn if it's Roost as well, as long as the Bulu isn't Banded.

Tapu Fini

Thumbnail for version as of 23:01, 26 October 2019

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psychic vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Tapu Fini: 133-157 (38.7 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Tapu Fini: 177-211 (51.6 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Psychic vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Tapu Fini: 153-181 (44.6 - 52.7%) -- 84% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 248 HP / 16 Def Tapu Fini on a critical hit: 128-151 (37.3 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Poison Jab vs. 248 HP / 16 Def Tapu Fini: 228-270 (66.4 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Lack of reliable recovery means that Tapu Fini cannot repeatedly switch into Latios and Urshifu. A Poison Jab or the rare Thunderbolt can put Fini on the backburner for the rest of the game, dealing upwards of 78% percent. Misty Terrain can weaken Latios' Draco Meteor for another teammate to switch in which should be taken to account.

Mandibuzz
Mandibuzz sprites gallery | Pokémon Database

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mandibuzz: 207-243 (48.8 - 57.3%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mandibuzz: 355-421 (83.7 - 99.2%) -- not a KO

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mandibuzz: 282-333 (66.5 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mandibuzz: 110-130 (25.9 - 30.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mandibuzz: 190-226 (44.8 - 53.3%) -- 33.6% chance to 2HKO

Mandibuzz has to pick in the teambuilder if it wants to be a shaky check to Latios or Urshifu. A specially defensive set is pressured significantly by Urshifu, dealing good chip damage with U-turn or threatening a 2HKO with CC. A physically defensive set is OHKO'd over two turns by both LO/Specs Draco Meteor. I've yet to come up with a spread that gives the best of both worlds for Mandibuzz since the U-turn chip from Urshifu can easily put Mandibuzz in range. Mandibuzz's reliance on its HDB can prove troublesome if it is knocked off, giving Latios and Urshifu better rolls vs. it when rocks are up. Mandibuzz's attacking move is also really important as Foul Play can give Urshifu free switch-ins, while Brave Bird and Knock Off can punish the switch-in. Reliable recovery in Roost aids in Mandibuzz being one of the best checks to this core.

Other Pokemon that can check one part of the core, but not the other. (Moves that the core has access to that threaten the check are in parentheses)

Jirachi checks Latios (Mystical Fire, Wicked Blow)

Blissey/Chansey checks Latios (Close Combat)

Aegislash checks Latios (Mystical Fire, Wicked Blow)

Celesteela checks Latios (Mystical Fire, Wicked Blow, Close Combat)

Heatran checks Latios (Close Combat, Aura Sphere)

Toxapex checks Urshifu (Psychic/Psyshock, Thunderbolt)

Kommo-o checks Urshifu (Psychic, Draco Meteor, Close Combat)

Togekiss checks Urshifu (Specs Psychic, Poison Jab, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam)

U-turn is a really big asset, as Urshifu can pivot out of its checks while giving Latios free switch-in opportunities.

Teammates

Because Latios and Urshifu share a devastating Fairy weakness, Steel and Fire-types such as Heatran, Rotom-H, Excadrill, Aegislash, Corviknight would fit very well into this core. The Volt-Turn support from Rotom-Heat and Corviknight can provide ample opportunities for either Latios or Urshifu to switch in. Hazard support is crucial to achieving certain 2HKOs, so teammates like Landorus-T, Excadrill, Clefable, Heatran, and Garchomp can provide hazard support. I would think the core fits best on bulky offense/offensive teams due to the sheer firepower/synergy of the core.

Offensive Checks

Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele are the first that come to mind since the core is threatened by their Fairy STAB. Koko outpaces both Urshifu and Latios as well. Tornadus-T threatens Urshifu with STAB Hurricane and Latios with a super effective Knock Off and U-turns while outpacing both. Tornadus cannot switch-in safely, however. For the most part, anything that can outspeed the core and threaten the OHKO will suffice as an offensive check, but Pokemon like Tapu Koko that can switch into Urshifu's STABs and Latios' Dragon STAB will be more consistent.

Ending Thoughts

From the speculation shown above, would you guys think this would make for a very dangerous core in the future once "quick ban" material like Genesect, Blaziken, Pheromosa, Naganadel, etc. are removed from the OU metagame? Any other possible checks to the core in the metagame? Should I go in-depth into more of the checks? What other pokemon would fit well with this core? LMK.
I mean that core looks really insanely good. The only problem is that Urshifu is unhealthy for this meta and probably will be unhealthy for whatever meta we end up with and I would not be surprised if it got banned.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
good post, i'd just like to point out that mirror armor corviknight is a shaky check to GZ regardless of whether GZ runs bulk up or not. mirror armor may reflect the defense drop, but i just checked with leer bisharp and it seems defiant gets triggered by a stat drop reflected by mirror armor, meaning the next turn you're staring down a +2 GZ. assuming a CB set will be viable and following your assumption re: GZ's base stats and thunderous kick's base power, a max def mirror armor corvi has a solid chance of getting 2HKO'd by thunderous kick (guaranteed w/ rocks up)

I was bored yesterday after building a lot of Nat Dex RU (join!), so I decided to build for this thread. It's a *classic* Grassy Spam Bulky Offense. I already went over the synergy Heatran has with these teams, and I did some other stuff with Tapu Bulu.

:ss/tapu bulu:
Tapu Bulu @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Synthesis
- Horn Leech
- Play Rough
- Leech Seed

This is my first pokemon that I put. I could do an offensive set, but putting another defensive fairy to cover Urshifu would just stack weaknesses to Poison. Tapu Bulu is actually quite bulky, and with its fairy typing it provides a nice check/counter to Urshifu. It is obliterated by Poison Jab but if they don't pj you pretty much live whatever they throw at you. Having to rely on Synthesis isn't the greatest, but between Horn Leech, Grassy Terrain, and Leech Seed, I do not foresee any problems with longevity. Tapu Bulu's typing also gives probably one of the best counters to Crawdaunt, who's stabs are resisted and is OHKOed by Horn Leech. EVs are to outspeed Adamant Crawdaunt, but you can change that because I'm not anticipating for Crawdaunt to continue to be good after DLC2. Terrain Extender can come in clutch in a lot of scenarios too.

:ss/rillaboom:
Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Second mon and also a secondary grassy terrain summoner. One of its big roles is to Knock Off Corviknight for Kartana, and to U-turn in to Magnezone. Corviknight pretty much never want to switch-in with magnezone right around the corner, so it can put immense pressure chipping things that resist and may outspeed Kartana. It also is a great backup switch-in to pokemon because of its good natural bulk.

:ss/kartana:
Kartana @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Knock Off

252 Atk Choice Band Kartana Grassy Glide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex in Grassy Terrain: 153-181 (50.3 - 59.5%) -- 80.9% chance to 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
Yeah this mon can casually 2HKO max defense pex with a priority move. Not to mention is has a huge chance to OHKO the neutral, physically bulky Urshifu after rocks. You better be bulky or resist or this thing is 2HKOing your team with grassy glide. Many mons that resist Grass in the tier are trappable by Magnezone or die to Sacred Sword too. If they don't have any steel types that they want to switch in, you can click smart strike and pretty much just OHKO stuff.

:ss/magnezone:
Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Toxic

Great trapper, has pivoting move, and provides a great front of special offense for the team.

:sm/heatran:
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

This set has immense defensive synergy with Tapu Bulu, as most of the things Tapu Bulu is weak to, Heatran is immune to or resists, and vice versa. Heatran also benefits from Grassy terrain, meaning it has double leftovers and can usually live 1 surprise ground move. Protect is a great scout and allows it to get even more lefties/terrain recovery. Earth power can be run on this set.

:ss/slowbro:
Slowbro @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Teleport
- Slack Off
- Future Sight

Imma be honest this is probably not the best 6th mon. It is a nice pivot, it fills a fire-water-grass core, helps the possibly underwhelming Tapu Bulu in the physically defensive department, and can assure KOs with future sight, but you may want to add a sweeper to this team to make sure you can clean up with something that isn't grassy glide.

I'm not the best at teambuilding, but I believe this core is so strong anyways that it'll probably put in some great work.

Pokepaste:
https://pokepast.es/3c655e5edecce6c4

Edit: The answer is yes, I will be spamming this team day 1 of DLC 2. Thank you for your consideration

:ss/kartana:
Kartana @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Knock Off

252 Atk Choice Band Kartana Grassy Glide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex in Grassy Terrain: 153-181 (50.3 - 59.5%) -- 80.9% chance to 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
Yeah this mon can casually 2HKO max defense pex with a priority move. Not to mention is has a huge chance to OHKO the neutral, physically bulky Urshifu after rocks. You better be bulky or resist or this thing is 2HKOing your team with grassy glide. Many mons that resist Grass in the tier are trappable by Magnezone or die to Sacred Sword too. If they don't have any steel types that they want to switch in, you can click smart strike and pretty much just OHKO stuff.
I have to wonder if Kartana also has a niche as a sort of anti-meta terrain remover. If any of you remember, a couple weeks back I made a post in the OU thread about the potential of the move Steel Roller. As I’m writing this post, I’m actually not sure if Kartana gets Steel Roller. But if it does, that’s an absolutely busted steel type nuke with choice band that also functions to remove terrain, which can halt the opponent’s momentum, as they then have to cycle out to a pivot and/or Kartana check/terrain setter/etc. Could be pretty crazy, if it does get it. Again, I’m not certain if it does, so I may be totally off base here.

I have to wonder if Kartana also has a niche as a sort of anti-meta terrain remover. If any of you remember, a couple weeks back I made a post in the OU thread about the potential of the move Steel Roller. As I’m writing this post, I’m actually not sure if Kartana gets Steel Roller. But if it does, that’s an absolutely busted steel type nuke with choice band that also functions to remove terrain, which can halt the opponent’s momentum, as they then have to cycle out to a pivot and/or Kartana check/terrain setter/etc. Could be pretty crazy, if it does get it. Again, I’m not certain if it does, so I may be totally off base here.
As far as I know, i think it gets Steel Roller

Kind of a question that should be asked in simple questions, simple answers. However, I did not want to reveal any spoilers. Does anyone know if Heatran lost magma storm in the National Dex Cut? I feel like I saw somewhere that he did not have it anymore.

As far as I know, i think it gets Steel Roller
Checking the tutor list, Kartana does not get Steel Roller.

Kind of a question that should be asked in simple questions, simple answers. However, I did not want to reveal any spoilers. Does anyone know if Heatran lost magma storm in the National Dex Cut? I feel like I saw somewhere that he did not have it anymore.
While not among the moves explicitly cut in Dexit, several legendary signature moves were not available due to their users being absent. However, if I had to guess, based on precedent, Magma Storm is returning alongside Heatran.

Notably, darkest lariat, body press, and liquidation. Liquidation gives swampert a better option than waterfall as it can lower defense. Darkest lariat pretty much allows it to shut down sweepers that are neutral or weak to it and allows swampert to pressure setup sweepers as well as gaining new dark coverage, and body press gives swampert a real fighting type move with less downsides with hammer arm. The metagame also complements it somewhat too, with the lack of megas and z-moves to thwart it. What are your thoughts on the moves that swampert is gaining in crown tundra? I think they could potentially push it into ou, but I really don't know.

TPP edit: I moved the thread/post here since it this is the right place to discuss it, and Swampert being in the datamine is also a spoiler, so it's better to have it here instead.

Notably, darkest lariat, body press, and liquidation. Liquidation gives swampert a better option than waterfall as it can lower defense. Darkest lariat pretty much allows it to shut down sweepers that are neutral or weak to it and allows swampert to pressure setup sweepers as well as gaining new dark coverage, and body press gives swampert a real fighting type move with less downsides with hammer arm. The metagame also complements it somewhat too, with the lack of megas and z-moves to thwart it. What are your thoughts on the moves that swampert is gaining in crown tundra? I think they could potentially push it into ou, but I really don't know.
I feel like this is very cool for everyone's favorite mudfish and opens up more options, although I am a little bit iffy on the effectiveness of Darkest Lariat on it. Body Press I think can definitely work alongside Bulk Up as you not only raise the power of Body Press but also the power of your regular physical attacks. Liquidation is a cool STAB move that can easily replace Waterfall on a physical set. As for whether it might push into OU, I don't think it will be a real OU Pokemon but could work. Tapu Bulu and Kartana return and can immediately force it out. Tapu Koko is no longer stonewalled and can eventually overpower it with Play Roughs and U-turns due to it's lack of recovery outside of Leftovers. While it can check an unboosted Garchomp if running Ice Beam as well as boosted Dragonite/Salamence, one may prefer using Slowbro despite having more weaknesses thanks to it's access to instant recovery, higher physical bulk and a stronger Ice Beam. I do think that it can hold a niche in the metagame as it has Stealth Rock and can use opportunities against fire types like Rotom-H, Victini, and Heatran (watch out for possible Toxic), as well as physical Pokemon that can't do too much damage to it (looking at you specially defensive Tyranitar), while even potentially employing Bulk Up to break through Defoggers like Corviknight and Zapdos or just plain old things like Toxic, Scald, Roar, and/or Protect to spread status, shuffle, and in general be annoying (obviously you can't run all 4 at once without rocks). Of course this is all just speculation and my own personal opinion. For all we know, Swampert could get something crazy like Recover from level up or breeding and instantly become a legitimate OU Pokemon.

For all we know, Swampert could get something crazy like Recover from level up or breeding and instantly become a legitimate OU Pokemon.
I feel like this statement could apply to a ton of Pokémon but Swampert in particular is losing a significant number of level up and egg moves from its moveset including Bide, Mud Sport, Mud Bomb, Foresight, Refresh, Barrier, and Ice Ball. That’s like a third of the regular level up pool so I’m expecting a few additions. You never know! But again that’s just my guess

my-image-1.png

My thoughts on things, with S tier being filled with automatically ubers. The genies on whether thats the incarnate or therian forms will comfortably find a home in ou unless especially lando-i prooves to be too much once more but his therian form will find a home in ou most definately as it always has and for good reason like heatran it's just a fantastic glue pokemon to help gel a team together. The tapu's are argubly better than ever with things like bulu & koko getting acess to play rough, lele with mystic fire over hp fire. The lati twinsa still need to fear tyranitar but pursuit is gone and thats a big boon for them to run free as offensive or supportive roles they have done in prievous generations. Garchomp gets dragon dance and while he will fall short of being op and will possibly have to suffer competition from zygarde if he is in ou, he's strong, fast, bulky with a fantastic typing and as always can make good use of what he has aviable to him. Dragonite is dragonite, bulky as hell with multiscale and now he can run boots to make sure it's up much more frequently. Zapdos has fantastic defensive typing acess to boots to reduce it's weakness to stealth rock making it a much better defogger and there are new legendary birds that it is going to scoff at as a counter to especially it's new form as it fights to hold it's position as the og of all the birds. Victini is going to be a nuke in general and a nuke on sun teams have kids. Kartana is kartana it's fast powerful and still likely as strong as ever. Celestelia has to face off against coviknight and sakrmory for the flying steel slot but like before it's unique movepool and stat distrobution will carve it's niche over it's breathern. Pheramosa if allowed will be a powerful glass cannon as it once was but argubly weaker now it has no acess to z moves and newwer things to counter it's stab and typing like corviknight as ou staples. Zygarde is zygarde it's got a decent stat distrobutionm and an amazing move in thousand arrows, not much to say other than look at gen 7 and see where this goes. heatran as mentioned before is one of the quintisential glue pokemon and this gen it's got plenty of teams lookin g for something to rape steel types especialy as the lack of hp fire nerfed mag. Diancie has fantastic typing and movepool and im not sure where it will fit but im sure it will fit somewhere a bit higher up maybe. suicune i'm probally giving too much credit than it diserves as it's pretty much the same dog it has been for generations but you could do worse for a bulky water calm minder than og of all of them. metagross i think will see use mainly as assult vest user to handle new and old threats like the lati twins as it's typing is fantastic and it's stat spread solid to get done what it needs to do.

i rambled on with a chunky para about A so ill make the rest briefer

arodactyl - it's fast and frail and some what strong but it's not enough to make it ou honestly
moltress - heavvy duty boots is a godsend for moltress and it can now make use of it's typing and great overall stats so ou viable certainly now.
crobat - it's in a similar boat to aerodactyl but that typing is very nice so who knows.
entei can now run a jolly nature with es and boots is a thing so small but nice buffs
salamence- it's largely overshadowed by dragonite and dynamax is banned, sorry mence you will be no menace
balcepheon- that typing is a mixed bag and so are it's stats and while no pursuit, tyranitar is gonna be more popular and more wally
mosquito - it's slow as shit and that holds it back in meta littered with flying type moves
swampert - not bulky enough sadly to make the impact it did as a tank in gen 4 sorry pert uu will love you buddy
azelf- it's fast frail with a fantastic movepool but zam now gets nasty plot and does the attacking role better and it's lost it's luster
volcanion - it's slow and easy to expoit in a meta that has plenty of chances to hit it super effective
kabutops- gonna be a staple on rain teams
omastar - it's a decent user of shell smash but clyoyster is better
nidoking- great movepool and great ability it can abuse, shame it's stat spread can't say the same.
nidoqueen- it's a decent tank has been and will still be
cresilia- great on tr teams but thats more for doubles and it's bulky as all hell but passive as all hell too we'll see
stakataka - it got a buff with some weight and defence based moves
nihiligo- it's the same thing as the prievous gen really

the rest all rather poor for one reason or another or terrible as always.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Garchomp gets dragon dance and while he will fall short of being op and will possibly have to suffer competition from zygarde if he is in ou, he's strong, fast, bulky with a fantastic typing and as always can make good use of what he has aviable to him.
The movepool datamine indicates that Garchomp does not get Dragon Dance. It does get Scale Shot though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)