Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

viet noa

eating neopronoun pizza at little xe/xyrs
is a Pre-Contributor
here are my predictions for the base stat totals of the final evolution starters. was fun to do, but watch me be completely off lmao

also i predict that if there are any secondary typings for the starter evos, itll go like this: grass/fairy, fire/ground, and water/flying

ill likely be wrong but these predictions are fun 4 me because i like making fakemon and stuff like that :>
meta-chart.jpeg-3.jpg
meta-chart.jpeg-4.jpg
meta-chart.jpeg-5.jpg

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Just went back through the trailer and noticed something potentially noteworthy in regards to the games’ possible “storyline”. Take a look at these snapshots I took.

00969EF8-988F-4D4A-9544-AAD332F2867B.jpeg

DDD53BF0-6340-4FFF-97BF-75B7AE5E58FF.jpeg

I couldn’t help but notice the color of these buildings and how they match the games’ colors. The thing to keep note of here is that the player character’s outfit in this scene appears to be the Scarlet version, meaning that perhaps these buildings swap colors in Violet. If that is to be the case, then we can most likely expect these two buildings to have some significance to the story. A similar thing happens with the Opelucid City Gym in the Unova games, which in turn relates to the region’s Legendaries.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Oh yeah, we forgot to do something: check out the Japanese logos.

For those who don't know, while the English logos keep things pretty plain and ambiguous, starting Gen VI the Japanese logo sometimes contains something which hints toward something in the game:

X & Y was the Mega Evolution symbol.
ORAS has the new version of the Orbs showing the omega and alpha letter.
Sun & Moon was the Z-Crystals.
USUM was Necrozma's core.
Sword and Shield was just the Pokemon League emblem.
BDSP were just pearls and diamonds.

So, what does the logo for SV show?

Interesting, SV's special logo feature are a six-pointed star. In addition the star looks to maybe be made of crystal, which goes along with the logo looking like it's colored gold? And if I recall, in one shot of the trailer there looked to be a chest full of treasure (at 1:10). So is there going to be some treasure hunting storyline (are we looking for stolen Aztec treasure? Rule 1: Don't touch any gold coin (or you better start believin' in ghost stories!)?

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Oh yeah, we forgot to do something: check out the Japanese logos.

For those who don't know, while the English logos keep things pretty plain and ambiguous, starting Gen VI the Japanese logo sometimes contains something which hints toward something in the game:

X & Y was the Mega Evolution symbol.
ORAS has the new version of the Orbs showing the omega and alpha letter.
Sun & Moon was the Z-Crystals.
USUM was Necrozma's core.
Sword and Shield was just the Pokemon League emblem.
BDSP were just pearls and diamonds.

So, what does the logo for SV show?

Interesting, SV's special logo feature are a six-pointed star. In addition the star looks to maybe be made of crystal, which goes along with the logo looking like it's colored gold? And if I recall, in one shot of the trailer there looked to be a chest full of treasure (at 1:10). So is there going to be some treasure hunting storyline (are we looking for stolen Aztec treasure? Rule 1: Don't touch any gold coin (or you better start believin' in ghost stories!)?
lets hope they do away with any obligatory generational gimmick and just have this be something related to the main story. i wouldnt mind seeing megas make a return though, just not zmoves or dynamax.

So we've got Grass-type Litten, Fire Totodile, and Ducklett with a greaser haircut for the starters...

At least the crocodile will hopefully get the zodiac people to stop thinking that's how Fire starters work, when its never been the case, since it requires calling an echidna/badger a rat and a fox a dog. But there already was a dragon starter and quite frankly I'd like to see the ridiculous mental gymnastics required to try to fit Fuecoco into that ridiculous theory.

Cool, so people have already parsed that the region appears to be based primarily on the Iberian peninsula from the Sagrada Familia-esque giant building and those english starter names, but here's a bunch of imagery and symbols that were unique-looking enough to possibly hint to in-game content:
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 1.01.03 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-27 at 1.01.31 PM.png

The stylized Vivaldi-lookin' Letter "N" on Mr. NightWatch's hat may relate to a city, an important building, a feature or the region name
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 1.01.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 1.01.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 1.12.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-27 at 1.07.17 PM copy.png
A bit tenuous to say it'll be important, but the similarity in design between the wall clock's hexgram pattern in the first half iof the announcement trailer and this mosaic flowers in the town square is interesting. first guess is it relates to the Scarlet legendary.
Also, the cool prismatic compass-lookin' battleground reinforces the importance of saturated colors and the visible spectrum from the game titles (Scarlet may be a color choice for near-infrared and Violet may likewise refer to near-ultraviolet)
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 1.07.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 1.12.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 1.07.17 PM copy.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 1.07.17 PM.png

The citrus and vine fruit symbols on the sides of the door are cool, makes me wonder if the box legends are gonna have Grass/Water support or theming
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 1.10.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 1.10.40 PM.png
The Patch on Player-Character Girl's left arm has a chance of being something, if only we could see the whole thing. Trainer decor has a tendency to tie in to the current gen's battle gimmick
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 1.09.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 1.09.01 PM.png

This other floral starlike image that prolly either relates to a legendary or is a symbol for the city it's found in (It's also reminiscent of a compass, similar to the battlefield in that same town square). First guess is it relates to the Violet Legendary.
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 1.06.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 1.06.21 PM.png

That spiderwebby-mosaic lookin' printed piece seems like something as well, but that could just be because they chose to make it the brightest thing in the one shot it appears in. Could have something to do with the local league, the gen9 battle gimmick or a legendary
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 1.04.01 PM.png

Also, What's that topdown stonehenge looking thing in the corner of the starter reveal?
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 1.11.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 1.04.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 1.11.01 PM.png

Immediate takeaways: Scarlet, round shapes and oranges (the fruit) seem to be related, Violet, grapes and slender/pointed shapes seem to be related. The visible spectrum also feels like it'll hold some important theming as well.
All the shield shapes speaks to the European influence, more crests and heraldry symbols/ coat of arms’ probably means there’ll be lots of important (and ridiculous sounding) city and character names

Anecdotally the six-pointed prism-looking star in the japanese logos reminds me of the Gen7 logos as well as the Colorless type symbol from the TCG, inb4 more color theming

Last edited:
When they mean open world, I’m curious if it’s going to be similar Xenoblade Chronicles, which are vast sprawling areas you can explore at any time. Legends was not considered an open world game, but this is. Even if Legends wasn’t an open world, I really had a ton of fun with it, my only complaint is that there are too many times that I got told I can’t go any further, which sucks because there was so much more on the horizon. I’m hoping this open world will be bigger, and seamlessly connected unlike Legends.

That being said, I am slightly disappointed this came out only after a month of Legends Arceus, because it feels like once again, a Pokémon game needs to come out for a yearly release. And considering the fact that GF is small, and there is another title in development, makes me worried about how much crunch time are going into these games. As a result, I’m cautiously optimistic.

I was talking with my wife about the new games, and she personally thinks the reason why we see Hisuian forms in the game is because Portugal was the country that (forcefully) opened up Japan to the rest of the world for trade, so maybe the sailors that did so brought some Hisuian Pokemon with them over there before they died out in their native habitat.

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I was talking with my wife about the new games, and she personally things the reason why we see Hisuian forms in the game is because Portugal was the country that (forcefully) opened up Japan to the rest of the world for trade, so maybe the sailors that did so brought some Hisuian Pokemon with them over there before they died out in their native habitat.
Neat idea but I think they're just gonna be transfer-only bonuses like the extra mons in base SWSH that you couldn't obtain in-game like the Alola starters, Venusaur and Blastoise, Unova legendaries, etc.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A topic that probably isn't discussed much so far, and probably one that I'm thinking too far ahead with.

But since these games are a new generation (aka Gen 9), this means a totally new roster of Pokémon will come with it. Obviously, we saw a new trio of starters with it, but the roster will also come with other archetype Pokemon that are part of the usual generational patterns. This means along with the new starter trio, Scarlet and Violet will introduce with them a new early route two-stage mammal, a new early route bird, one or two early route Bug-types, maybe a set of Fossil Pokemon, and a pseudo-legendary. And of course, a pair of cover legendaries as well as a third legendary presumably to go with them.

I am eagerly looking forward to what they do with the archetypes. The early route mammal will probably be a rather sucky Pokemon that falls off as the game goes on and a Normal-type as usual, but the early route bird is something I hope ends up being another great Pokemon. They've been getting quite creative with making great early route birds, with Talonflame and Corviknight especially taking liberties by taking on new, non Normal typings as a second type, and having their own unique attributes in battle to stand out, so hopefully SV's new bird ends up being just as great. The birds have been a great archetype since all of them have taken their own identities to distinguish themselves from Pidgeot who originated said archetype.

We will probably have a pair of early-route Bugs, or maybe just one like with Alola and Galar. Either way, I wonder if they will be more like Butterfree and Beedrill, as early bloomers with low BSTs, or will SV's Bugs follow Alola and Galar and make its early game Bugs more like Leavanny and Scolipede, who are later bloomers but are strong enough to serve as a competent ally for the whole adventure.

The pseudo-legendary is one archetype I always eagerly look forward to, and I greatly await as the year goes on to see what they have in store for the pseudo. We've had a ton of Dragons, so it's safe to assume that SV's pseudo will be yet another Dragon, but it would be a very pleasant surprise if the SV pseudo doesn't end up as a Dragon-type. I'd love a Psychic or Ice-type pseudo-legendary, personally. Dragapult was such a great pseudo-legendary both design wise and battle wise, despite being another Dragon-type, and this means Gen 9 has a tough act to follow since Dragapult really rocked the boat soon after it was revealed.

We may end up with fossil Pokemon. There's a possibility they will return to a pair of two-stage Rock-types like in older generations, not like the one-stage mish-mash abominations of Galar (which was a deliberate joke), but we'll see!

And of course, the question awaits as to what the cover legendaries will be like! Considering this game's titles are just colors, integrating them into the cover legendaries' designs will be simple, as they will likely just be scarlet and violet in coloration. Will they have a third legendary to form a trio with? This is something to look out for.

Anyway, just wanted to point all that out. It's a given these days that every new generation will bring new members of the usual generational archetypes, so I look forward to seeing what kinds of new members Scarlet and Violet will bring to these groups.

Hmm, though this probably isn't gonna hold up, i'd be down to have the legendaries have typings based on the color of their version.

IN OTHER WORDS, looking foward to that fire/fighting legendary! will update with starter thoughts when on PC.

We may end up with fossil Pokemon. There's a possibility they will return to a pair of two-stage Rock-types like in older generations, not like the one-stage mish-mash abominations of Galar (which was a deliberate joke), but we'll see!
I REALLY do hope so, tbh.

*is sitting back and sipping BBND-er tears*

On the subject of archetypes, I have a feeling that this Gen’s pseudo-legend will have HP as its highest stat. There’s been a pattern since Gen 5:
-Hydreigon: SpA
-Goodra: SpD
-Kommo-O: Def
-Dragapult: Speed

And with the rest of the pseudos for Atk, that just leaves HP.

EDIT:
I REALLY do hope so, tbh.
What I’m hoping for is that we get the OG forms of each of the Galar fossils. Velociraptor, Stegosaurus, Dunkleosteus, and... whatever the Arcto- mon is supposed to be got done dirty.

Last edited:

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
first uh, something from cap's gotta be stolen every generation. looks like gf already went ahead and did it with fuecoco lol (hiss check your stats :))

in all honestly i like the starters despite the fact that they all look ugly in some way. fuecoco's a cutie and i love him even though he looks like totodile, and i cant wait to see what it evolves into. quaxly looks like cadet ducklett and again i would love to see what it evolves into. sprigatito's the obligatory furry bait and appeal to little girls and honestly look just like what you'd expect from a grass cat. can't say i dont like it though, betting that it evolves into something bipedal.

something's happening with these crystals in the japanese titles like pikachu said. we already had altered mons and altered moves, so like maybe, they activate...ultra abilities!? enter this thread at your own risk

the title name honestly suck imo, like wtf, scarlet & violet? best guess is that it kinda simulates the original red/blue. so, will we get a fire/water/grass legend trio and a third game, emerald-style? i doubt it, and honestly expects something ghost/psychic/fairy for violet anyway lol, but well see.

here's looking forward to an actual good offensive ice-type that is actually fast and powerful like weavile but special. every recent generation has an attempt to make ice-types defensively viable and im like...why. we got m-abomasnow in xy, aurora veil in sm, and scales frosmoth in ss. when you have a type that is 100% asking you to make a fast, offensive mon and you only make one of those in the entire series, that's saying something. hopefully SV can break this curse for once.

give the bug decent stats and cpe/tinted lens and i'd be happy

one more thing is how much will they minimax legends this generation. back then every cover legend thats not lugia/ho-oh has base 100+ offenses, and now with ss we have an eternatus with 130 spe that does not look anywhere near that fast, and its probably one of the lesser minimaxed legends compared to zac/caly. even legends gave us newly minimaxed dialga/palkia formes (that wouldve been nice to have in BH if they were legal). gf have mostly failed to make a great defensive legend, maybe they can do it this time?

*is sitting back and sipping BBND-er tears*

On the subject of archetypes, I have a feeling that this Gen’s pseudo-legend will have HP as its highest stat. There’s been a pattern since Gen 5:
-Hydreigon: SpA
-Goodra: SpD
-Kommo-O: Def
-Dragapult: Speed

And with the rest of the pseudos for Atk, that just leaves HP.
if thats the case i hope the legend isnt a dragon lol. and if it is im afraid of a guzzlord 2.0

Ema Skye

Work!

(it's almost as good as the Wario hat edit. Waduck will live forever!)

I will anticipate more news on these games but I am hopeful that they are borrowing more from PLA than SwSh, especially the catching mechanics.

My starter theory right now is:
  • Grasscat: Grass/Electric (based on either the Iberian Lynx or the Ocelot)
  • Hotodile: Fire/Ground (based on an extinct crocodilian species from Iberia)
  • Waduck: Water/Fighting (based on Don Quixote; Quaxly already fits the name scheme and keeps the duck pun)
I am hoping we can see some cross-gen evos like PLA gave us. I NEED my Ledian evolution, please!

My regional variant guesses are: Sentret, Dunsparce, Sudowoodo, Gligar, Chatot, Aromatisse and Lurantis, with all of them getting evolutions. I will also suggest variants, without evolutions, for Mankey, Mandibuzz, Turtonator and Drampa.

The Patch on Player-Character Girl's left arm has a chance of being something, if only we could see the whole thing. Trainer decor has a tendency to tie in to the current gen's battle gimmick
View attachment 409839
I hadn't noticed that patch. I was against the "trainer school" idea before, but that is definitely what they're doing. That's a school coat of arms or something.

So, the new starters final evo: What strikes me as odd here is that each of them has a very different obvious path to follow. Grass looks like a pure-grass line, Fire looks like it might become fire/grass, and water looks like it's water/flying already. While my money's on all of them getting the same secondary typing(Dragon, Psychic, or a similar 'same effect to all 3' type), just because that's something they haven't done yet, what I'm actually sure of is that I've got no clue what they're going to do.

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
At least the crocodile will hopefully get the zodiac people to stop thinking that's how Fire starters work, when its never been the case, since it requires calling an echidna/badger a rat and a fox a dog. But there already was a dragon starter and quite frankly I'd like to see the ridiculous mental gymnastics required to try to fit Fuecoco into that ridiculous theory.
I was just about to come back and post about this. I don't mind a fun little fan theory, even if it's not very convincing, but it gets kind of annoying to hear so many Fakemon region creators say they have to choose Zodiac animals "because that's how it works".

The pseudo-legendary is one archetype I always eagerly look forward to, and I greatly await as the year goes on to see what they have in store for the pseudo. We've had a ton of Dragons, so it's safe to assume that SV's pseudo will be yet another Dragon, but it would be a very pleasant surprise if the SV pseudo doesn't end up as a Dragon-type. I'd love a Psychic or Ice-type pseudo-legendary, personally. Dragapult was such a great pseudo-legendary both design wise and battle wise, despite being another Dragon-type, and this means Gen 9 has a tough act to follow since Dragapult really rocked the boat soon after it was revealed.
Personally, I'm tired of Dragon-type pseudos. I want some variety, maybe even a unique typing. Ground/Fighting bull or Fairy/Fighting minotaur inspired by running of the bulls and Spanish-style bullfighting. Maybe Tauros can get some regional love, even if the bull won't be the pseudo.

For the regional bird, Electric, Fairy, Dark, Ground, or Rock would be good secondary typing for it.

I hope the regional rodent, Pikachu clone, and Bug are also strong and unique.

Matleo

Banned deucer.
Fire crocs- are venomous? Poison? associated with Sobek, egyptian god.snakes and crocss are reptiles. We could get a croc-cobra. Cat-saber tooth lion--> hope for rock, Bastet? Duck-water/flying?Tut? Fighting or ghost crane? We need to wait and see. Fire looks defensive, grass a faster fake out user? Lux? Duck seems wild card or a faster dual wall?
Rock/fighting/poison a triangle after all?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)