Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please have a look on the front page:
Damage Calculators

Slipperjeans' Damage Calculator - An Excel Calculator including all Gen 5 Pokemon, Moves, Items and Abilities
Smogon's Damage Calculator - NOTE: Has not yet been updated with 5th gen Pokémon, but you can still enter stats by hand
Note: You can use Korski's list to copy/paste stats into this calculator for easier use.
Masara's Damage calculator
Honko's damage calculator - NOTE: Needs Microsoft Silverlight to run
I personally use the Masara one but the other ones are fine, too.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does anyone have the link for Cathy's equation for when you should commit suicide. I need a good laugh

Is there a page I could view that would give me a rundown on the state of OU at the present time? ie what's legal, what's not, what's popular, what's not, etc. I haven't kept up with the metagames in the past couple of months and what I'd basically like to see is essentially a crash course of some sort, is there anything like that?

Also if there's anything similar for the other official metagames I'd probably be interested in that too

I want to create a sun weather team based off of the generally accepted one here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3472159. However, I'd like to replace a couple of Pokes with some of my favorites, and hopefully retain some viability.

I'd like to know if the team is still good while using Shadow Tag Chandelure instead of Venusaur (as a sweeper) and Magic Bounce Espeon in place of Magic Bounce Xatu. Sacrificing a little bit of power is fine (I'm not aiming to be hyper-competitive #1), but if I'm absolutely crippling the team, let me know.

Thanks! :)

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Shadow Tag Chandelure is currently unreleased atm, so your version of the team wouldn't be usable in standard OU. Additionally, I feel like each Pokemon on that team serves a certain purpose. Xatu's main benefit over Espeon is that it is immune to Ground-Type hits, meaning choiced Earthquake spam will be deterred, and it is a more solid answer to Breloom (not as big of a deal). It also has U-Turn to maintain momentum. Venusaur serves as a very valuable water resist/booster for the team, while Chandelure would propagate the Water-Type weakness. The changes may be possible, but I wouldn't recommend them.

FireMage

Disgraced
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is there a page I could view that would give me a rundown on the state of OU at the present time? ie what's legal, what's not, what's popular, what's not, etc. I haven't kept up with the metagames in the past couple of months and what I'd basically like to see is essentially a crash course of some sort, is there anything like that?

Also if there's anything similar for the other official metagames I'd probably be interested in that too
The best that could be done for you is probably this thread here. Although the October Stats are getting released within a few days - just keep an eye out for it (for trends - you can also ask for Moveset rundowns etc.)

you can also read the megathread for up-to date first hand experience of the ladder, alongside what people deem good sets etc. (Here)

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Is it possible to change Thundurus-T to Thundurus-I or vice versa? If so, how?
Take a Landorus-T that you obtained legitimately (hacking, Pokécheck, etc. won't work) to Abundant Shrine to get the Reveal Glass, which will let you switch the formes back and forth.

Are Ghost types immune to Pain Split? Wondering because it's not a direct attack and I recall things like Sand Attack affecting Flying types before. (unless that also has changed in Gen 5?)

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Are Ghost types immune to Pain Split? Wondering because it's not a direct attack and I recall things like Sand Attack affecting Flying types before. (unless that also has changed in Gen 5?)
Ghost types are affected by Pain Split, and Flying types (and those Pokemon with Levitate) are also affected by Sand Attack. It's been that way since Gen 2.

Just wanting to get a quick lowdown between Giga Drain Genesect vs Terrakion. What sets can Terrakion beat? (Modest RP LO, Choice etc), and what sets can't Terrakion beat? If Terrakion's running Choice it'll beat Genesect but take heavy damage; if it's not...

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Just wanting to get a quick lowdown between Giga Drain Genesect vs Terrakion. What sets can Terrakion beat? (Modest RP LO, Choice etc), and what sets can't Terrakion beat? If Terrakion's running Choice it'll beat Genesect but take heavy damage; if it's not...
If you're talking about a one-on-one scenario, it depends. In Sand, Terrakion will win all the time, because even after a CC, LO Giga Drain doesn't OHKO, unless Genesect got the SAtk boost, which it shouldn't if you're running the correct EV spread. Outside of Sand, it's a different story. CB always wins, as a +1 CC OHKOs always. Scarf loses if it uses CC, Genesect can either RP and then Giga or just Giga right away. SD sets can dance once, live a Giga, and OHKO with CC/SE. In a pure 1v1 scenario, Terrakion wins unless it's Scarfed.

Oh yeah, and nobody runs Scarf Giga Drain to the best of my knowledge (or at least I've never seen it).

Oh yeah, and nobody runs Scarf Giga Drain to the best of my knowledge (or at least I've never seen it).
I ran Scarf'ed Giga Drain on Genesect and to say it disappointed me was an understatement. Losing the ability to check +1 Gyarados really sucks. Other than Gasrodon and Rotom-W all the other water types are hit harder by Tbolt. Those two are very easily dealt with a Grass-type and can even be hit by +1 Bug Buz. Other than those two, you could hit Terrakion, but you would end find yourself not hitting quite hard enough in sand and generally wanting to U-turn out (preferably to Dugtrio). Heck if you cared about Terrakion enough you could start running Iron Head.

I ran Scarf'ed Giga Drain on Genesect and to say it disappointed me was an understatement. Losing the ability to check +1 Gyarados really sucks. Other than Gasrodon and Rotom-W all the other water types are hit harder by Tbolt. Those two are very easily dealt with a Grass-type and can even be hit by +1 Bug Buz. Other than those two, you could hit Terrakion, but you would end find yourself not hitting quite hard enough in sand and generally wanting to U-turn out (preferably to Dugtrio). Heck if you cared about Terrakion enough you could start running Iron Head.
Yes, cosign. I had a couple of people in a RMT of mine suggest running Iron Head. Replacing Bug Buzz is your best bet. The other moves that Genesect usually run are too valuable.

What sets for Genesect do you typically run? The Scarfsect that I used was U-turn/Flamethrower/Bolt/Beam. I found that sacrificing any of the special moves (lol at replacing U-turn, the best move in the game after Stealth Rocks) always had me matched up with teams where I needed that missing coverage.

If you ask me Thunderbolt is the expendable move out of those because the Gyarados, who is not used as much as Scizor, Ferrothorn and the dragons, is pretty much the only reason I am having this move for. And for 2HKOing 252/0 (Lefti) Politoed after entry hazard damage but usually I find another way around it. Just to say: Should your opponent use a physically defensive Toed, Genesect will receive a SAtk boost which allows us to 2HKO it with Bug Buzz nonetheless.
The Iron Head option depends on you wanting to check Terrakion or not. I do not know yet if the SDef boost in sandstorm is considered in the Download boost because you need to be at +1 to OHKO it , so maybe someone can help me with this one.

I need a good teammate for my lucario that i want to base a team off. It runs SD, ES, CC, and BP. I've tried Latias, Tornadus-T, and Landorus-I....what else can I try???

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
You tried the LatiTwins and it didn't work? :<
Then I don't know... give a try to Slowbro/Slowking on paper they have quite a perfect synergy !
Same goes for Starmie in my opinion.

Anyway most of the dragons, like Dragonite, form a good combo with Lucario as they can kill his counters easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)