Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 24 (READ THE OP)

Do people generally switch over completely to do the new metagame when they come out?

Like, can I expect to see a good amount of people still playing gen IV games once gen V is out in america?

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
There will still be a few people playing 4th gen. People take time to move, and even then some stay. However, there will be noticably fewer people playing compared to a few months ago.

Do people generally switch over completely to do the new metagame when they come out?

Like, can I expect to see a good amount of people still playing gen IV games once gen V is out in america?
All the simulator tournaments here are still of 4th Gen. The thing is you have to go to PO to playtest (or you can wait on CAP for hours...)

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
@BigBlue: It seems that you want a stall team, so you'll want to replace your Tyranitar for Hippowdon; while it doesn't have as much Sp.D, a reliable recovery and phazing is necessary. A ResTalk Gyarados or a Bulky Gyarados will be a good pokemon for a stall team, as Intimidate and the ability to dent teams will be good.
EDIT: I personally don't like Heatrans on stall teams, but a Celebi can be good to wear down your opponents more with Leech Seed; it also gets Recover, Natural Cure, and a semi-powerful Energy Ball, allowing it to be your status absorber.

Question:
Smogon Server in both PokeLab and Shoddy was closed. Is it gonna be opened again or not? And do you know when? I don't want to play Expert Server forever :(​

Question:
Smogon Server in both PokeLab and Shoddy was closed. Is it gonna be opened again or not? And do you know when? I don't want to play Expert Server forever :(​
No, probably not. Try Pokemon Online. Jeez, so many people still asking this...

Athenodoros

@BigBlue: It seems that you want a stall team, so you'll want to replace your Tyranitar for Hippowdon; while it doesn't have as much Sp.D, a reliable recovery and phazing is necessary. A ResTalk Gyarados or a Bulky Gyarados will be a good pokemon for a stall team, as Intimidate and the ability to dent teams will be good.
EDIT: I personally don't like Heatrans on stall teams, but a Celebi can be good to wear down your opponents more with Leech Seed; it also gets Recover, Natural Cure, and a semi-powerful Energy Ball, allowing it to be your status absorber.
That's what I said. I added Tran almost as an afterthought, because I know people do alright with TormenTran (though I never made it work. I don't like it). Gyara is a better suggestion, though. It will also help to have a status absorber.

hey! i have a question. i am currently breeding poliwags so that i can use a belly drum set on poliwrath. I stopped breeding after filling up 3 boxes with the darn things to start EV training a 31 iv attack, 31 iv speed, and 28 iv hp. i didn't check the others. But my question is, assuming there is no stealth rock, no hail and no sandstorm, no spikes or toxic spikes, if i were to switch in my poliwrath, substitute then belly drum, what is the least amount of EV's i would have to pour into it to make the salac berry activate after my belly drum?

Athenodoros

Basically, you need your HP to be divisible by four. That means that, depending on your HP IV, you could need anything from 0 to 12 EVs. A 28 IV is chosen because it needs 0 EVs in HP.

hi just want to ask what IV are to be max for kingdra with Dragon dance thank you and is dragon dance kingdra are good in a OU battle thank you

Athenodoros

Well the important ones are Attack and Speed, but really as many as possible is good. As for the second part, yes it works well. It isn't used much for some reason, generally overshadowed by Rain Dance Swift Swim Kingdra, but it is definitely a solid pick.

DDDra (really confusing short form, took me ages to figure it out the first time i saw it, lol) is alright, i personally think ChestoRest DD Kingdra is better, but that's just me. With Rest and Chesto Berry it can pick up more boosts than a regular DDDra.

Anybody have a good idea for a rain team lead, I'm partial to Crobat. Azelf seems a little to frail for my liking. Zapdos?
Although it's a lower tier Pokémon, Electrode is always a solid Rain lead. It's fast, it Taunts to stop Rocks, it paralyzes with 100% accurate Thunders, and it booms when it's done.

I just managed to catch a 20/30/31/18/30/4 Impish Battle Armor Skorupi. The EVs seem to suggest me using it as a bulky attacker, but I have no idea on the movepool or EVs. Anyone can help?

P.S. I'll likely be using it in the Frontier instead of Wi-Fi, so if it's possible to take that into account, that'd be great.

Athenodoros

Generally Taunt is used more, but it really depends on the Pokemon. It also has something to do with Taunt being more widespread. I would say that if you have both you would probably lean towards Encore, becuse it means you can set up.

@ Axa: Jumpman16 used a very successful Skorupi in the Battle Tower, something like:

Skorupi @ Leftovers
Defensive EV Spread
-Acupressure
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Some STAB attacking move I can't remember

You could check in the BT records thread, because he documents the whole thing there. The only thing to remember is that it is generally a bad idea to decide on roles based on IVs. If you need a certain kind of Skorupi, and it does well in the battle tower, then IVs which might suggest another moveset are really insignificant, considering they account for a maximum of 16 stat points.

Hi, I just wanted to doublecheck this little factoid. IIRC, the JP version of HGSS has a trade for a pikachu with a 31 in speed, did this high iv stay in ENG version?

When this item is held by a Pokémon, the holder's Speed is reduced by 50%. For every battle it has, in addition to the Effort Values gained in the battle, it will gain 4 Speed Effort Values.
In HeartGold/SoulSilver, if you attach it to one of the Pokémon in the Day Care, it will guarantee that the offspring will have the holder's Speed Individual Value. Someone please explain what this means i got it off the serebi website. What does it mean the offspring has the holders indvidual value.

Athenodoros

The item you are talking about is the Power Anklet. Do you know what IVs are? If not, check here for a guide. It should explain it. If you do, then it means that the holder's Speed IV is inhereted by any offspring.

@ Axa: Jumpman16 used a very successful Skorupi in the Battle Tower, something like:

Skorupi @ Leftovers
Defensive EV Spread
-Acupressure
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Some STAB attacking move I can't remember

You could check in the BT records thread, because he documents the whole thing there. The only thing to remember is that it is generally a bad idea to decide on roles based on IVs. If you need a certain kind of Skorupi, and it does well in the battle tower, then IVs which might suggest another moveset are really insignificant, considering they account for a maximum of 16 stat points.
Does it? I thought they accounted for more than that, especially given how wide the difference in a stat can be given an IV of 4 and IV of 31.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)