Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
But goodstuffs is by definition pretty much uncounterable, so you might be better off trying to identify the specific Pokémon/types/whatever that tend to give you trouble, and adjust your team to deal with those.
goodstuff, especially bulky goodstuff is very hard to counter. I run 1 too, but even I cant find any glaring weakness. It just depends on the matchup. Like to me the only thing I lost to is having a bad lead matchup, or hax, or other bulky goodstuff teams.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I meant "uncounterable" in the sense that you can't counter an entire strategy that's basically "use really strong Pokémon to beat your opponent" when you consider the huge number and variety of Pokémon that can work on it, but you have a point too. Really, the only way to "counter" it is to build your team with the same strategy in mind.

This may seem like a very stupid question, but what qualifies as a "bulky" goodstuffs team. 252 HP on every poke? Just generally more bulky base stats? Does it just depend on the team?

This may seem like a very stupid question, but what qualifies as a "bulky" goodstuffs team. 252 HP on every poke? Just generally more bulky base stats? Does it just depend on the team?
It depends on the pokemon. Bulky goodstuffs often include pokemon who have great resistances and alot of health right off the bat. Metagross is a perfect example of a pokemon that is often seen on bulky goodstuffs.

Why does nobody use Swampert? I'd give him a go but I have 2 essays to write.
I actually do use Swampert. Will I use him this weekend? Not sure but I have been using him in playtesting and random Wi-Fi and he has performed extremely well. Perfect for abuse in rain too. Hes just really hard to take out in general and works really well as a disquake combo. Considering how rare grass pokemon are and how rare grass moves are too, I don't know why hes not used more either. Hes a defensive beast, and does good damage to boot!

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
As I said before, complicated spreads are silly (unless you're really worried about one specific threat, like Tornadus last year). Use EVs to patch up weaknesses, or make your good stats better. Spreading them all over the place just makes it kinda decent at everything.

This is more of a bulky terrakion but i run, I run 208 hp, 252 atk, 44 speed terrakion.

Terrakion caps at 134 speed enough to outspeed +base 130's. So it outruns everytning thats not boosted, and survives many hits, that normally ko.

I don't know which toxicroak variant I should choose(both are gonna carry the life orb). Theres 252 hp, 252 atk, and then theres 252 atk, 252 speed. They both work but its a toughie. 252 speed helps me outrun base 80's trying to put a speed in. While 252 hp adds to my bulk, and survivability. Meh I think I'll just try a ev spread that hits 133 speed, and rest to hp. Can someone tell me what ya think. Also how many speed ev's are needed to get 133 speed?

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
133 Speed outruns neutral 252 Speed EVs base 80s. But I think 135 might be a bit better since that will allow you to outrun Speed+ 252 EVs base 70s.

Assuming Adamant, Toxicroak needs 220 EVs into Speed for 133. 236 EVs if you want to put the small amount more for 135.

Are we allowed to take notes (i.e. keep track of how many turns Trick Room has been in effect, keep a list of your opponent's 6 Pokémon to aid in predicting who they might switch in, etc.) during matches? I know we are in the TCG as long as we don't hold up the game, but with the turn timer, I don't see that being a problem in VGC.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
In previous years, we were not allowed to take notes. I wouldn't be surprised if this year is the same. They might let you, but don't count on it.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
They didn't allow you to take notes during battles last year for Nationals Swiss rounds. They did allow you to write notes on your battles in between matches though. This is helpful for those who are planning to write a warstory, and need something to help remember all the battles that they had.

Thanks for the replies. I asked our tournament organizer last week, and she said she didn't know; VGC is new to her.

Our cartridges won't be taken between matches, will they? They do this with decks in TCG top cuts (I know there are no top cuts in VGC), and if there's Wi-Fi, I'd love to save every battle as a battle video and upload it before the next round. Also, are hack checks performed when you register, or are they done randomly (most likely to the players atop the current standings) between rounds?

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
Our cartridges won't be taken between matches, will they? They do this with decks in TCG top cuts (I know there are no top cuts in VGC), and if there's Wi-Fi, I'd love to save every battle as a battle video and upload it before the next round. Also, are hack checks performed when you register, or are they done randomly (most likely to the players atop the current standings) between rounds?
You'll probably get to keep your cartridge between Swiss Matches. As for hack check, I'm not too sure how that will end up being done at the Regionals. In the 2011 Nationals, all games were hack checked before the start of Swiss, and in addition to that there were random spot checks in between rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)