Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the top 10 pokemons in terms of usage (roughly)?
Also, what's the most used garchomp set?
How's the metagame (such as what is it focused around? weather?)?
I'd test them myself but I am in South Korea at the moment and won't be able to do much simulation pokemon battles until next month :(

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
They say if you participate in a Regional, they give you 5 Play! Points, but what if you participate in another Regional as well?(For example, one in Oregon, and another Regional somewhere in April). Does that mean you get 10 Play! Points in total?
Play! points are basically participation points so yes, that's my understanding. They are used to buy rewards and there will be a Play! point requirement to enter the TCG Nationals this year.

What are the top 10 pokemons in terms of usage (roughly)?
Also, what's the most used garchomp set?
How's the metagame (such as what is it focused around? weather?)?
I'd test them myself but I am in South Korea at the moment and won't be able to do much simulation pokemon battles until next month :(
I'm not sure about usage in terms of the top 10, but commonly used pokemon are: Zapdos, Hitmontop, Garchomp, Abomasnow, Ludicolo, and Politoed. Goodstuff teams and rain teams are what I mostly see when playing in the Skarmbliss VGC server. Sun teams are pretty viable with Venusaur running around.

Also, a Garchomp set commonly used is

move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Rock slide
move 3: Dragon Claw
move 4: Protect
item: Yache Berry
nature: Adamant / Jolly
ability: Sand Veil
Evs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Today I was battling and a guy used a strategy on me involving Wobuffet's Shadow Tag as well as Perish Song. My question is, what strategies can get you out of this? I had a bulky supporter and a Scrafty out there (who kept getting charmed) and it was basically a 'sit and watch' as my Pokemon died. Is there really nothing that can prevent this strategy besides just being aware from team preview?

Not much to keep them from switching out unless you have a Wobuffet with Shadow Tag as well or Dugtrio with Arena Trap. Taunt would work if you don't want to use them as it keeps status moves like Perish Song from being used for a few turns before needing to be used again.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If Charm is a problem, you could run more special attackers. Wobbuffett can't learn Protect, so you should be able to KO it within three turns.

Well my team is fairly split even with sp and physical attackers but it was just a poor choice. But I should probably invest in a taunter. It seems like less people use mental herb now. I know I don't =X

It seems a little too situational IMO. Things like lefties, sitrus etc seem to come in handy much more often. That and Whimsicott ISN'T on every other team which is kind of convenient =)

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Unless Sableye gets special move trick room thorugh dream world I think it's safe to say you won't see any trick rooming sableyes.

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Unless Sableye gets special move trick room thorugh dream world I think it's safe to say you won't see any trick rooming sableyes.
Shoot! I could have sworn Sableye could learn Trick Room through TM...oh well. There's still priority Trick, Recover, Will-o-Wisp, Taunt, Mean Look, and Toxic to go around...

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Also, Prankster Trick Room has -6 priority, so it still only goes before slow phazers. Not terribly useful, especially since I've never seen anyone use a phazing move in VGC.

Whimsicott learns Trick Room, but I don't see much of that either.

Does anyone know if the winners of VGC still receive scholarships? I know they did for VGC 2010, but were any given out in VGC 2011? If so how much?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
That's really too diverse a subject to give any kind of concise answer to. They have so many options. What any one person uses seriously depends on the rest of their team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)