Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which would be better for Scizor? Life Orb or Bug Gem?
Imhom, I'd choose survivabilty and run either a Sash or a Occa Berry but if you had to choose one of those, I'd choose Bug Gem to take care of Cress.

Seperate question: If I get T4 at a regional but I can't attend nationals, can i use the travel allowance towards worlds?

For Life Orb and Technician, let's say for example Bullet Punch. The Technician boosts it up to 60, then would Life Orb stack on top of that? Life Orb multiplies the moves' power by ~30% so 60 x .30 = 18 then 60 + 18 = 78. So would Bullet Punch then do 78 damage? Just wondering exactly how to the mechanics work.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also, someone mentioned moving your DS around? I know it's more comfortable, but, if they're not flat facing each other on the table, it can stop the IR connection, so you're left on the "connecting...." prompt for ages. This obviously wastes time, and isn't good for either player. Keeping it down on the table stops accusations of stalling, breaking connections etc and is better.
The IR is only used to make the connection and then it moves to local wireless I believe. So once you're done connecting and the battle starts you should be good to go.

Here's an assortment of questions about the U.S. regionals this weekend.
1) Do you need to physically bring a POP ID, or do you just need to remember the number?
2) About how long does each round last? I know battles are 15 minutes, but what about the other factors?
3) I know it varies, but what's the average number of rounds for Masters? From what I've read from (mostly Senior) warstories, the norm seems to be 6-7, but I've read there are as low as 5 rounds.
4) If you bring along a pad to take notes, does it have to be completely blank? (e.g. No damage calcs/speed tiers written on it?) I assume it does, but I just wanted to make sure.
5) Do you have to keep your DS on in between rounds?
6) If you suspect an opponent's Pokemon is hacked, and it's found to be legit after a hack check, do both players just play the battle over again? Or does the player that initiated the hack check receive a penalty?
1) Just the number.
2) 15 minute rounds, 1 minute turns, 1m30s team preview
3) Depends on number of players
4) Yes. It must be blank and cannot be shared with others.
For Life Orb and Technician, let's say for example Bullet Punch. The Technician boosts it up to 60, then would Life Orb stack on top of that? Life Orb multiplies the moves' power by ~30% so 60 x .30 = 18 then 60 + 18 = 78. So would Bullet Punch then do 78 damage? Just wondering exactly how to the mechanics work.
Yes. That's why Technician Hitmontop had Life Orb in VGC '10 teams.

Base 78 power is correct, yes. Technician boost is applied at the very begining of the calculations, so it is hard to cancel to cancel. Bug Bite on a berry holder and Flying Gem Acrobatics are some of the only things that do it, coincidentally Scizor gets both.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
5) Do you have to keep your DS on in between rounds?
6) If you suspect an opponent's Pokemon is hacked, and it's found to be legit after a hack check, do both players just play the battle over again? Or does the player that initiated the hack check receive a penalty?
5) As long as you don't cancel participation, you're fine.
6) The hack check happens after the battle is over. If it's legit, then the battle result stands.

Will Nintendo be giving out free starter decks (like they're doing at regionals) to anyone interested in participating in the Worlds LCQ of TCG?

Challenge: Make a team with these misfits

I really want to go to VGC but I don't have time to train 4 guys all the way up. Can any of you guys recommend a strategy with the guys I already have EV trained so I would only have to train 1 or two guys?

I have an EV'd Chandelure, Renuclius, Machamp, Amoongus. They are all the standard smogon builds.

Any ideas? Thanks guys!

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I really want to go to VGC but I don't have time to train 4 guys all the way up. Can any of you guys recommend a strategy with the guys I already have EV trained so I would only have to train 1 or two guys?

I have an EV'd Chandelure, Renuclius, Machamp, Amoongus. They are all the standard smogon builds.

Any ideas? Thanks guys!
You have a good core for a trick room team.

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The IR is only used to make the connection and then it moves to local wireless I believe. So once you're done connecting and the battle starts you should be good to go.
Curious. When I was playing in Birmingham, the guy was holding his DS up in his hands, and burnt almost a minute on the "Communicating" promopt. When I asked him to put it on the table, it carried on as soon as they were flat again. Also, A guy in France had to have me lift mine slightly to compensate for his case.
You might be right Firestorm, but if it starts taking forver, that's probably why.

I know there are several rounds of swiss, but after that does it go into a single elimination top-whatevernumber, or is that it?

What is supposed to happed in between rounds? Like, can you battle other people, can you discuss strategies, can you even turn off your DS to save battery? Anything along the lines of that...

Is there anywhere to pre-register for the Athens Regional?

Is there anything I need to bring other than my Pokemon Player ID, my 3DS, my White Version, my charger, money, and a lunch?

how strict are they on nicknames?

Is there anything that is really important I need to know?

Sorry about the barrage of questions, VGC is tomorrow and I need to be prepared!

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
@Pokmanz

1. Based on Autumn regs, there's no top cut after swiss at these events, just the swiss standings
  2. You can't battle other people, as your team are locked in the battle box. You can talk, but, noone likes being scouted hard, bear that in mind. You can turn off your DS I beleive, as you just load it back up and go to the battle competition screens again.
  3. I can't find a PreReg link for Athens in the thread. If I find one I'll post it here though..
  4. I'd suggest bringing a smile and a good attitude.
  5. Nicknames was discussed a page or so back. Don't be silly about it, and just use common sense. If you're unsure, play it safe and re NN it
  6. I don't think there's anything else you can't find in this forum.

Hope this helps :)

Curious. When I was playing in Birmingham, the guy was holding his DS up in his hands, and burnt almost a minute on the "Communicating" promopt. When I asked him to put it on the table, it carried on as soon as they were flat again. Also, A guy in France had to have me lift mine slightly to compensate for his case.
You might be right Firestorm, but if it starts taking forver, that's probably why.
Dozz you're right, it is only IR connection. We talked to Mike Liesik about this for various reasons afterwards and he let us know that it would have been a huge mess if it were using wireless connection for whatever reason (I can't remember, sorry).

This is a problem in some situations, but if you get caught abusing this, people will catch on quickly and some won't hesitate too much when it comes to letting a Tournament Organizer know.

Is anyone certain that I can enter the game and use the GTS to upload a battle video (of my last round) between rounds without losing my place in the Battle Competition? I emailed Nintendo and asked them but they were unable to give me a definitive answer.

I know you can exit the Battle Conpetition without losing your place; I accidentally powered off my DS between registration and the first round, and I was able to rejoin.

narrowed down.

Alright I've narrowed my team down to a cresselia (not for trick room just for bulk/stall) a metagross and a water rotom. I wanted a dream world dragonite, but at this point no one will trade me one. (If you have one I have pokerus and shiny...just sayin). So What would be an effective 4th slot for this team that could fill the roll of dragonite? I need something to counter all of those pesky latios and kingdras.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Is anyone certain that I can enter the game and use the GTS to upload a battle video (of my last round) between rounds without losing my place in the Battle Competition? I emailed Nintendo and asked them but they were unable to give me a definitive answer.

I know you can exit the Battle Conpetition without losing your place; I accidentally powered off my DS between registration and the first round, and I was able to rejoin.
As long as you don't Cancel Participation, you're still in the tournament. You should be able to go into the game between rounds without any problem.
Alright I've narrowed my team down to a cresselia (not for trick room just for bulk/stall) a metagross and a water rotom. I wanted a dream world dragonite, but at this point no one will trade me one. (If you have one I have pokerus and shiny...just sayin). So What would be an effective 4th slot for this team that could fill the roll of dragonite? I need something to counter all of those pesky latios and kingdras.
Scarf Abomasnow beats Latios and takes away Kingdra's rain. Also, have you tried this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)