Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to have a sun team that isn't uber, but I am stuck as to who i should have. So far, I have castform and Chlorophyll-Leavanny but i haven't got a clue as to who else i should have. Help me please?
Chlorophyll Venusaur is also popular for sun teams. I have a Chlorophyll Shiftry, which I really like because he can learn fake out.

And then you'll want to load up with pokemon with good fire moves - perhaps some that learn heat wave. Heatran is still legal in VGCs and isn't considered uber.

Good luck!

Would Nidoqueen be viable on a TR team?
I am pretty doubtful of it. She is barely slow enough to be viable for TR, and has only average bulk. Typing is a mixed bag, giving resists to Fighting and Rock, and an immunity to Electric, but also being weak to Water, Psychic, Ice, and Ground, some common attacking types. Powerful attacking options with Sheer Force are about the only good thing I see. So she would only be good once TR has been set up.

I just want to confirm two things,

1 that if a Pokemon in spot one has macho brace and is switched out after a wild encounter, that it still receives the extra ev points from macho brace?

2, I was told today that certain Pokemon are stronger from one version to the next, for example a bulbasaur from gen 1 has stronger stats then a one from gen 4? I don't see how this would be true, but it's always best to ask the SoS, "Sages of Smogon"

Big thanks to everyone so far!
Today I properly and fully EV trained my first mon!
A hitmontop with 252 Atk, 160 speed and 98 HP,
He's got 31 atk IV, and I verified his ev training with the checker in the subway, went back out, got the last wild encounter and went back. When I saw the "put in a great effort" I was stoked, and owe it all to the extremely helpful people in this forum!

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I just want to confirm two things,

1 that if a Pokemon in spot one has macho brace and is switched out after a wild encounter, that it still receives the extra ev points from macho brace?

2, I was told today that certain Pokemon are stronger from one version to the next, for example a bulbasaur from gen 1 has stronger stats then a one from gen 4? I don't see how this would be true, but it's always best to ask the SoS, "Sages of Smogon"
1. Yes.

2. As far as I know, no Pokémon's base stats have ever changed except for the Special Attack/Special Defense split in Gen 2.

Two things:

1. Is there a better way to test teams and practice the rule set than Pokémon Online?

It takes ages to find VGC matches. It's not time efficient at all...
I've been away from the community for around five years, and as a result I lost touch with virtually everyone I used to run teams against or bounce ideas off of.

I don't do any form of save or rng manipulation. That's just how I roll. I'm pimp like that. Because of this, I like to solidify my faith in a strategy or team before committing to the long road of breeding and whatnot. Therefore, WiFi is basically out of the question for a good while...

and

2. I've been keeping my eyes and ears open all over for any mention of next year's VGC and its rules. When are the announcements of rules, dates, and locations to be expected?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Two things:

1. Is there a better way to test teams and practice the rule set than Pokémon Online?

It takes ages to find VGC matches. It's not time efficient at all...
I've been away from the community for around five years, and as a result I lost touch with virtually everyone I used to run teams against or bounce ideas off of.

I don't do any form of save or rng manipulation. That's just how I roll. I'm pimp like that. Because of this, I like to solidify my faith in a strategy or team before committing to the long road of breeding and whatnot. Therefore, WiFi is basically out of the question for a good while...
Sorry, PO and Wi-Fi are pretty much the only practice options. If you want to practice against strong and varied opponents, you'll have to swallow your pride. Consider using Pokécheck to download other people's already-prepared Pokémon through the game's GTS function. They'll come with a hacked-on ribbon attached, so you can't use them in official tournaments, but they're good enough for Wi-Fi practice.

2. I've been keeping my eyes and ears open all over for any mention of next year's VGC and its rules. When are the announcements of rules, dates, and locations to be expected?
Several dates and locations have been announced. No word on rules yet.

Fall
October 14th, 2012

Indiana (Ft. Wayne)
Northern California (San Jose – Santa Clara County Fairgrounds)
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia – Philadelphia Convention Center)
Texas (Houston)

Winter
January 20th, 2013

Florida (Lake Buena Vista – Royal Plaza)
Missouri (St. Louis area, Unconfirmed)
Oregon (Salem – The Pavilion at Oregon State Fair and Expo)

Spring
April 14th, 2013

British Columbia (Vancouver area)
Georgia (Athens – Classic Center)
Southern California
Virginia (Unconfirmed)

(source: Nugget Bridge)

Sorry, PO and Wi-Fi are pretty much the only practice options. If you want to practice against strong and varied opponents, you'll have to swallow your pride. Consider using Pokécheck to download other people's already-prepared Pokémon through the game's GTS function. They'll come with a hacked-on ribbon attached, so you can't use them in official tournaments, but they're good enough for Wi-Fi practice.
I was afraid of that.

As far as the events go, I'm pretty sure I'll be at Athens, GA and Florida if all goes well financially. Scratch off Florida if they announce something closer to me, though. lol

Thanks for the guidance.

breh

強いだね
Fall
October 14th, 2012

Indiana (Ft. Wayne)
Northern California (San Jose – Santa Clara County Fairgrounds)
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia – Philadelphia Convention Center)
Texas (Houston)
Is this really true? I have trouble believing that they'd set the next tournament a week after the game comes out. It takes most people a week to get through the games without soloing them (I guess that's quite possible with Magnemite, though) let alone do anything related to EV training, farming shards, etc.

If it is, well, damn, I'm going to have a fun time finishing the game!

Is this really true? I have trouble believing that they'd set the next tournament a week after the game comes out. It takes most people a week to get through the games without soloing them (I guess that's quite possible with Magnemite, though) let alone do anything related to EV training, farming shards, etc.

That's not the first time I've heard it was starting a week after launch.

Yeah, all you really need to do is just trade your EVd mons from BW1, farming for shards will probably be the only problem.

And I was also able to beat Black 1 in probably a day, so I'm going to have no problem speeding through BW2.

I have a few questions.

Have the VGC 2013 rules been announced yet?
If not, what are some of the rule predictions?

Thanks.
VGC 2013 rules haven't been confirmed but it will most likely be 5th Gen GS Cup rules. 5th Gen GS Cup rules are:
  • Team preview will be turned on
  • Species Clause
  • Item Clause
  • Self-KO Clause
  • Pokémon may not know the moves Sky Drop or Dark Void
  • Unreleased Pokemon, abilities, and items are banned

The following Pokemon cannot be on a player's team:

o 151 – Mew
o 251 – Celebi
o 385 – Jirachi
o 386 – Deoxys
o 489 – Phione
o 490 – Manaphy
o 491 – Darkrai
o 492 – Shaymin
o 493 – Arceus
o 494 – Victini
o 497 – Keldeo
o 498 – Meloetta

The following Pokemon are restricted. You can only have four of these Pokemon on your team of six and you can only go into battle with two of them.

o 150 – Mewtwo
o 249 – Lugia
o 250 – Ho-oh
o 382 – Kyogre
o 383 – Groudon
o 384 – Rayquaza
o 483 – Dialga
o 484 – Palkia
o 487 – Giratina
o 643 – Reshiram
o 644 – Zekrom
o 646 – Kyurem

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's more likely to be what GBU Doubles is currently, which is our current VGC 2012 ruleset but with BW2 tutors and Therian forms allowed. 5th Gen GS Cup is probably not going to be the metagame, since I remember hearing that TPCi wasn't going to repeat that kind of play like in 2010.

It's more likely to be what GBU Doubles is currently, which is our current VGC 2012 ruleset but with BW2 tutors and Therian forms allowed. 5th Gen GS Cup is probably not going to be the metagame, since I remember hearing that TPCi wasn't going to repeat that kind of play like in 2010.
Oh I didn't know that. Thanks for clearing it up Solace!

Well that's a shame.

On a positive note, at least this means we won't have to worry about Choice Scarf Kyogre wrecking everything.

Is it possible to find a training partner on Smogon forums to train with for the VGC, or is there somewhere else better suited to finding a training partner?

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is it possible to find a training partner on Smogon forums to train with for the VGC, or is there somewhere else better suited to finding a training partner?
If you're looking for VGC practice, you're best off trying the GBU or using PO to experience playing against many different team types. While having one "training partner" can be good for keeping your team a secret, it also limits what you're playing against.

Solace

royal flush
Oh, alright. I'm assuming that GBU is some sort of simulator, as is Pokemon Online, right?
GBU is Nintendo's Wi-Fi ladder. It's globally based so you'll experience lots of different team types and is probably better practice for Worlds. The only downside is that atm it also include BW2 moves and forms, which won't be included in the VGC 2012 format.

Wait, is the GBU the in-built thing in the game right now where I can just walk upstairs in a Pokemon center and you can battle anyone in the world?

Solace

royal flush
Wait, is the GBU the in-built thing in the game right now where I can just walk upstairs in a Pokemon center and you can battle anyone in the world?
Yeah, that's the one. It has Random matchups for Singles, Doubles, Triples, Rotation, and Launcher.

if you don't mind me asking, Solace, where exactly did you hear that? it sounds a little too good to be true...
It was just an educated guess. Last year having BW only pokemon was just to generate hype for the new game. VG Modified will likely change very little as having an open format like it does now is best for the game. Making small changes (BW2 stuff for example) will keep the metagame from going stale and will inspire creativity.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Probably since most of the time there are better things you should be doing other than relying on a horribly gimmicky strategy like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)