Ask simple questions here! [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributor
PS Admin
Hi! I wonder if is there a "Hisui Pokemon Legends" format yet.
We are not planning on adding a PLA format because the games are singleplayer only and make massive mechanical changes to how pokemon works (that we don't fully understand yet anyways).

The new pokemon were added though, and are available in metronome battles and custom games if you want to play with them, but will not be added to tiers such as OU, etc.

why is blaziken listed as uber in gen7? i get it's good and all, is it just because it doesn't fit into ou? (gen7 is my least played gen as well)

Was removing Hidden Power intentional or not? This may not make sense at first but when u think about it GF could have just removed all relatively unused moves in casual playthroughs and one of those unsused moves in playthroughs was Hidden Power no one really used it in casual runs so they just removed it seeing no one will miss it not caring about how it will affect the competitive scene (If they even care about singles at all since they mostly respond to VGC related stuff rather than Smogon stuff) OR they intentionally deleted it knowing it will affect the competitive scene greatly and was maybe to nerf some mons??? I dunno many mons that suffered from it probably most electric types since HP Ice was really useful in countering their only weakness ground and was maybe to also buff some other mons like Ferrothorn or Garchomp probably but im mostly leaning on the first conclusion since this was also done with pursuit another great example of a move which was unused in casual runs but was really good competitively if GF really cared about the Singles competitive scene they probably wouldn't have removed it since it was relatively balanced unlike HP which can change a mons viability by a longshot like imagine if regileiki got HP Ice it will probably be Uber Lvel or a good OU mon at the least heck i could see Spec variants of it if HP wasn't removed i dunno what do u guys think about? Was GF just removin unused moves or where they actually caring about how HP affects competitive?

Was removing Hidden Power intentional or not? This may not make sense at first but when u think about it GF could have just removed all relatively unused moves in casual playthroughs and one of those unsused moves in playthroughs was Hidden Power no one really used it in casual runs so they just removed it seeing no one will miss it not caring about how it will affect the competitive scene (If they even care about singles at all since they mostly respond to VGC related stuff rather than Smogon stuff) OR they intentionally deleted it knowing it will affect the competitive scene greatly and was maybe to nerf some mons??? I dunno many mons that suffered from it probably most electric types since HP Ice was really useful in countering their only weakness ground and was maybe to also buff some other mons like Ferrothorn or Garchomp probably but im mostly leaning on the first conclusion since this was also done with pursuit another great example of a move which was unused in casual runs but was really good competitively if GF really cared about the Singles competitive scene they probably wouldn't have removed it since it was relatively balanced unlike HP which can change a mons viability by a longshot like imagine if regileiki got HP Ice it will probably be Uber Lvel or a good OU mon at the least heck i could see Spec variants of it if HP wasn't removed i dunno what do u guys think about? Was GF just removin unused moves or where they actually caring about how HP affects competitive?
I think they removed it because it significantly raised the barrier for entry into building a competitive team. Now, they could have also gone about this by letting a Pokemon's hidden power be altered like with bottle caps or ability capsules, but I don't know the technical details behind Hidden Power so maybe that wasn't feasible.

I think they removed it because it significantly raised the barrier for entry into building a competitive team. Now, they could have also gone about this by letting a Pokemon's hidden power be altered like with bottle caps or ability capsules, but I don't know the technical details behind Hidden Power so maybe that wasn't feasible.
It is true that HP severely made entering competitive completely hard grinding for the perfect IVs can really take a while but if you look at the other aspects of entering competitive this can be made as a 'part' of it just like EVs which you also have to grind, HP is basically the same but with IVs in this case some just think of it as a requirement to enter it and even how hard to grind for it you still see it very often, My case is that isn't HP just treated as another requirement like EVs and unlike EVs HP can be optional on a competitive pokemon and aren't forced to you

Hey guys,

I only recently discovered Pokemon Showdown - late to the party I know! It has been around for years and I never knew about it :O

My question is, have I joined the party late and only have a shortish time to enjoy Showdown, or will it be around for another 10+ years??

Sorry if this is a crazy question, just can't believe I never knew about it until recently!

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributor
PS Admin
Hey guys,

I only recently discovered Pokemon Showdown - late to the party I know! It has been around for years and I never knew about it :O

My question is, have I joined the party late and only have a shortish time to enjoy Showdown, or will it be around for another 10+ years??

Sorry if this is a crazy question, just can't believe I never knew about it until recently!
We have no plans to shut down showdown. Its hard to tell what will happen over the next decade, but I don't see any reason right now for showdown to shutdown in the future.

That’s both scary and great lol!

So, while there are no plans to, over the next few years it could still disappear? :(

I was kinda hoping you’d say it will definitely be here forever lol

And thanks for the reply!

Last edited by a moderator:

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
PS Admin
That’s both scary and great lol!

So, while there are no plans to, over the next few years it could still disappear? :(

I was kinda hoping you’d say it will definitely be here forever lol

And thanks for the reply!
Like with anything else in life, unexpected things can happen. We want to keep showdown up, and will do everything we can to keep it up.

Like with anything else in life, unexpected things can happen. We want to keep showdown up, and will do everything we can to keep it up.
Yeah I guess no one can predict the future! Who knows if Showdown will still be a thing in even 5 years time, but I really hope it is!

Question: I realize Pokémon Legends Arceus will not be receiving a format, but Showdown lacks the actual movepools for the new forms and Pokémon. Their signature moves aren’t in Showdown to begin with. Even if just for the sake of posterity and for custom games only, when can the movepools of the Hisuian forms (or at least their signature moves) be expected to be added to Showdown?

Mia

We face the heat as we are fighting until the dawn
is a Programmeris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Question: I realize Pokémon Legends Arceus will not be receiving a format, but Showdown lacks the actual movepools for the new forms and Pokémon. Their signature moves aren’t in Showdown to begin with. Even if just for the sake of posterity and for custom games only, when can the movepools of the Hisuian forms (or at least their signature moves) be expected to be added to Showdown?
We are not planning to add the movepools at this time. There's very little point since there's no format and it's a large undertaking.

How does matchmaking work exactly on the ladder? from personal experience you won't get matched up against the same opponent twice in a row at least and the program attempts to have you fight against players in somewhat similar elo ranges but then there's those outlier cases where sometimes it throws 1600 elo users at me despite me not even being above 1300 and vice versa. This is not supposed to be a criticism, I'm just curious. Also, I only play old gens where there's a smaller player base if that has anything to do with it.
The max ELO difference increases the longer you're queued.
It starts at 100 (50 for current gen OU and randbats) and gradually increases to 300 over a minute (75 seconds for OU/randbats) of being queued. If you're queued even longer then the tolerance continues to increase, but 10x slower.

hello,I am playing a lot of gen 3 ou in pokemon showdown,I don't know about the other generations but this one does not seem to be following the rule about baton pass.

here are the rules:
https://www.smogon.com/dex/rs/formats/ou/

pokemon showdown does not let you use baton pass users that can pass more than one stat even though there is no such rule against it.
even if there was such rule against it for some reason you can have a baton pass user who has both focus energy and agility.

I would guess because of a lack of time. Smogon formats frequently change rules so it probably takes considerable amounts of time to keep up with it.

Is there any way to challenge friends to multi-battles or ffa using a team and not just random Pokémon. And if not is there any plan to?

Bidoof Princess

Probably cuter than you
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leader
PS Admin
Is there any way to challenge friends to multi-battles or ffa using a team and not just random Pokémon. And if not is there any plan to?

There should be an option for the "Free-For-All" format when challenging someone. Unlike "Free-For-All Random Battle", this should give the ability to use your own team. You can find it under Other Metagames.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)