Ask simple questions here! [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

So i have to wait more my answer uhh?
The "3D models" used in the teambuilder for Pokémon from Generations VII and before are renders that come from Pokémon Bank, which doesn't support Sword and Shield. Because of that, those pictures don't exist for the Pokémon from Generation VIII and most likely never will.
The teambuilder right now probably uses sprites because they're the best-looking option (and it would definitely look pretty silly to try to use the animated renders from the simulator with the static Bank renders).
The important thing is that the 3D model renders you see in the teambuilder are official assets, and they simply don't exist for Generation VIII. It's not a work in progress or something you should expect to see added; it's almost certainly just not happening.

In the interest of giving a comprehensive answer, I'm going to address a possibility, but I also want to make clear that this isn't something you should expect to happen.
It's technically possible for a fan to go through Sword and Shield's models manually to render them in a more similar style - the amazing modelers from the CAP 3D modeling project have established a system for renders in this style for models of their own creation, while a 3D modeler here on Smogon has expressed interest in rendering the Generation VIII Pokémon in the style of Generation VII for battles but has been halted by difficulty parsing the animations of the models, which are necessary to make this possible in any reasonable amount of time.
However, even once those animations are available, re-rendering every model takes time and effort, and this is just one person offering to help. Doubling that workload by adding teambuilder renders on top of that - especially when the teambuilder is perfectly serviceable as it is and the priority is on making battles look nice if anything - seems like too much to ask and for too little gain, so I would not expect this to happen at all. The person who offered to render their idle animations decided that of their own volition; no one is entitled to ask any more of them.

Aside from that, please try to be more patient. The first time someone answered you, you made a backhanded comment about how long you had waited even as you thanked them (and three hours isn't long at all...), and now you sound pretty sarcastic and passive aggressive. People aren't going to want to help you when you act like that.

Edit: I just looked at the teambuilder and realized what you were asking, so I changed my post to a proper answer.

Edit in response to the below: That's okay - I understand. c: And sorry if I was too defensive in return! I hope this was some help either way.

Last edited:
The "3D models" used in the teambuilder for Pokémon from Generations VII and before are renders that come from Pokémon Bank, which doesn't support Sword and Shield. Because of that, those pictures don't exist for the Pokémon from Generation VIII and most likely never will.
The teambuilder right now probably uses sprites because they're the best-looking option (and it would definitely look pretty silly to try to use the animated renders from the simulator with the static Bank renders).
The important thing is that the 3D model renders you see in the teambuilder are official assets, and they simply don't exist for Generation VIII. It's not a work in progress or something you should expect to see added; it's almost certainly just not happening.

In the interest of giving a comprehensive answer, I'm going to address a possibility, but I also want to make clear that this isn't something you should expect to happen.
It's technically possible for a fan to go through Sword and Shield's models manually to render them in a more similar style - the amazing modelers from the CAP 3D modeling project have established a system for renders in this style for models of their own creation, while a 3D modeler here on Smogon has expressed interest in rendering the Generation VIII Pokémon in the style of Generation VII for battles but has been halted by difficulty parsing the animations of the models, which are necessary to make this possible in any reasonable amount of time.
However, even once those animations are available, re-rendering every model takes time and effort, and this is just one person offering to help. Doubling that workload by adding teambuilder renders on top of that - especially when the teambuilder is perfectly serviceable as it is and the priority is on making battles look nice if anything - seems like too much to ask and for too little gain, so I would not expect this to happen at all. The person who offered to render their idle animations decided that of their own volition; no one is entitled to ask any more of them.

Aside from that, please try to be more patient. The first time someone answered you, you made a backhanded comment about how long you had waited even as you thanked them (and three hours isn't long at all...), and now you sound pretty sarcastic and passive aggressive. People aren't going to want to help you when you act like that.

Edit: I just looked at the teambuilder and realized what you were asking, so I changed my post to a proper answer.
Uh sorry i din't mean to be that aggresive
And i am brazilian but i know english a bit well so i try to talk english sorry

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
When do you think we will get the cries for the Gen 8 Pokemon implemented into PS? I know most people play with music off so they don’t even hear the sounds but it feels a bit empty watching Gen 8 OU games where the Gen 8 mons don’t have any cries lol

How do I change a Pokemon's hidden power type in the teambuilder? When I change the IVs, it still says the type is dark.
It's an option in the same section as level, gender, friendship and Shininess! There should be a dropdown to let you change it.
However, it only appears if you've selected a format for the team where Hidden Power is legal - it's not there by default, even if the Pokémon knows Hidden Power. Try changing the team to National Dex OU or a Gen VII format:
1587583123720.png
< change the format like this
1587583037469.png
< this is where the dropdown will be

It's an option in the same section as level, gender, friendship and Shininess! There should be a dropdown to let you change it.
However, it only appears if you've selected a format for the team where Hidden Power is legal - it's not there by default, even if the Pokémon knows Hidden Power. Try changing the team to National Dex OU or a Gen VII format:
View attachment 239283 < change the format like this
View attachment 239282 < this is where the dropdown will be
It doesn't appear in gens 2 to 6. Is that intentional?

Hey all,

I was wondering if there is anyway we could access usage stats by the week or by the day. I think it would provide more data which would be beneficial for data interpolation. This could be very very useful for competitive formats such as VGC. I know showdown offers monthly data but is there any way of scraping weekly or daily data??

Thanks in advance

Hi, I need help from coders
(reference thread)
I've been reading documentation for adding a custom mode and i think I'm close to understanding how to do that, I just need to know where are all the events' name that I can add onEvent triggers on, especially those where you can modify a move's type and switching in or out.
I need to implement a volatile condition that is selected and then applied on the Pokémon that switches in, changing its typing and the type of the move it uses, I almost figured out how to do it, there are only some missing pieces.
To do so, I need to add a tick to the interface, similar to the box you can check to Dynamax your Pokémon the value of which is preserved and readable before and after you switch in or out, because the volatile status has to be added to the Pokémon that switches in. It could also totally replace the dynamax tick, the most important thing is that the value is preserved and readable after swtich out/in.
- How can I add this box?
- How can I read its value inside an "onEvent" trigger?
- How can I know if the player has selected the first or second Pokémon to switch in after swtich in?

EDIT: as a matter of fact, I just need to know if this would work as a custom battle format
https://github.com/Stitch98/stitch98.github.io/tree/master/twisted

Last edited:
Pretty sure this where I should post this... Trying to use the custom Guzma avatar, but when I use the command, I don't get the one posted on the website with all the sprites (him standing), but one of him couching instead. It doesn't seem to have another command. Unless what I'm looking at is out of date?

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I've been reading documentation for adding a custom mode and i think I'm close to understanding how to do that, I just need to know where are all the events' name that I can add onEvent triggers on,
A general overview can be found here: https://github.com/smogon/pokemon-showdown/blob/master/sim/battle.ts#L490-L593 There unfortunately is no master list of event names, you can however look at the list of type definitions for some currently used one: https://github.com/smogon/pokemon-showdown/blob/master/sim/global-types.ts
especially those where you can modify a move's type and switching in or out.
onSwitchIn, onSwitchOut are a few here, there isn't an event for type changes iirc, but there probably is a method on Pokemon objects. If not its probably done by changing pokemon.types and sending a protocal message back to the client.
To do so, I need to add a tick to the interface, similar to the box you can check to Dynamax your Pokémon the value of which is preserved and readable before and after you switch in or out, because the volatile status has to be added to the Pokémon that switches in. It could also totally replace the dynamax tick, the most important thing is that the value is preserved and readable after swtich out/in.
- How can I add this box?
This would be a client side change. How it works for mega's, z-move's, and dynamax is it attaches an appropriate tag to the end of the choose command. For example, when dynamaxing and using Hydro Pump as Max Geyser, the command sent to the server is /choose move hydropump max. (To be clear thats for the initial turn ONLY, max isn't attached if your already dynamaxed as it tells the server you want to dynamax that turn). This would be quite a tricky change, as you would need to add support in sim/side.ts for receiving and understanding a new flag like this, as well as support in the rest of the simulator process for handling it including putting it in the battle queue, and handling parsing the new event.

EDIT: You'll also need to inform the client that it can do this action (so it shows the checkbox, keeps it updated with the right state, ect). Remember that the server does all the work and has all the information, clients are sent limited amounts of data and display it in a fancy format thats much easier to understand for people (and it looks nice compared to raw text).
- How can I read its value inside an "onEvent" trigger?
Depends on how you implement it, see above.
- How can I know if the player has selected the first or second Pokémon to switch in after swtich in?
I dont understand this question sorry, can you try rephrasing it/explaining it further?

And before the other posts ask me to answer their questions: If I don't answer your questions I don't know the answer.

EDIT: rewriting from scratch because my problem totally changed, working on megaEvo was way too complex as the mechanic is very entangled with the code.
Now what I want to do is to add a move to the set of each pokemon in battle, that is called Twist, has max priority, switches out the user and activates the side condition that will make the incoming pokemon affected by the volatile. I just need to know if there is a way to add a move to a Pokémon during a battle or right before it starts. Boy, if we had an event list this would be a lot easier.

Last edited:
I’d like to know why Gender is randomized each game, it’s kind of a bizarre deviation from cart. The only reason this came to mind is that I was passed a team with Rivalry Haxorus and it got me thinking.

I’d like to know why Gender is randomized each game, it’s kind of a bizarre deviation from cart. The only reason this came to mind is that I was passed a team with Rivalry Haxorus and it got me thinking.
You can select the gender for each of your Pokémon in the teambuilder. It's only randomized if you haven't chosen one manually, since there isn't any meaningful way to assign a "default."

You can select the gender for each of your Pokémon in the teambuilder. It's only randomized if you haven't chosen one manually, since there isn't any meaningful way to assign a "default."
I guess the more accurate question is why is there a random option, why don't you have to commit to one before a battle?

Hi when I am in the middle of a match and I switch to another tab (or even go to a PS tab like teambuilder) sometimes my screen will bug out and seemingly scroll down. When this happens It usually scrolls down to where the heads of my opponents mons are making it not possible to see the health of those mons. To fix it I have to reload PS. Any knowlege on this? Not sure if this is a known bug so I put it here instead of the bugs thread. Apologies if this is the wrong place.

Edit: Here is an example, this time actually happened when I first loaded into the game.

Screenshot_2020-05-03 Icemann11 vs soberD - Showdown .png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 3)