Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

Do you mind not coming here and bashing the format though. You're entitled to your opinion and that's cool, but I don't want anyone getting discouraged to try out what I believe is a really fun meta by reading that sorta stuff...
Alright, I'm sorry. Just expressing my thought after my first few experiences.

By the way, why is it that I only encounter Japanese people on (Wi-Fi) Battle Spot Singles?

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Alright, I'm sorry. Just expressing my thought after my first few experiences.

By the way, why is it that I only encounter Japanese people on (Wi-Fi) Battle Spot Singles?
Japanese players are a lot more active on all the Battle Spot metagames except possibly doubles. This is very evident on the leader boards on the PGL. People also like to associate gimmick teams like the Assist Liepard with them.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well considering the playerbase for Pokemon in general is mostly
Japanese, Battle Spot is no different. While A LOT of the Western Pokemon-playing community use Showdown! to play mons, the Japanese (and Korean etc.) have no such similar way of playing, so they all exclusively play on Battle Spot. Think of it this way, you asking this would be the same as a Japanese player asking why they only run into Americans on PS! haha.

However, they like everyone else go to sleep sooner or later. Since I'm only 2 hours off Japan's timezone I almost exclusively play against them, but if I'm up really late or play in the morning then I barely encounter them at all (I actually see a lot of players from places like Mexico at those times)

the main luck and cheese strats you see are Moody (Glalie), Swagplay (Thundurus, Klefki, Liepard does this too) and Minimize (Drifblim, Clefable, Chansey). Slowbro/Skarmory/Gliscor with Chansey is a common stall core that can picked apart with the right team structure but otherwise walls non-mixed attackers into heck.
Flinch is also a form of cheese that occasionally makes rounds on Battle Spot. A common flinch-inducer is Kangaskhan, and in inverse even stuff like Cinccino shows up sometimes.

Flinch is also a form of cheese that occasionally makes rounds on Battle Spot. A common flinch-inducer is Kangaskhan, and in inverse even stuff like Cinccino shows up sometimes.
Well, I just played against some scarfed Togekiss and Jirachi spamming Air Slash / Iron Head. The 60% flinch isn't even funny anymore. I opened up with Mega Aggron and I didn't get to attack ONCE. Every Iron Head was a flinch. It did so little damage that I thought I would eventually be able to break through, but nope -,-

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you're playing free / unranked then be prepared for the worst. In fact I wouldn't even recommend playing it at all unless you have a bunch of legendaries that are going to waste and you just want to have fun. Even if you just want to test out a team then going ranked is better even if you give up a bunch of points (or test on Showdown instead).

tl;dr free battles isn't 'Battle Spot Singles'

Well considering the playerbase for Pokemon in general is mostly
Japanese, Battle Spot is no different. While A LOT of the Western Pokemon-playing community use Showdown! to play mons, the Japanese (and Korean etc.) have no such similar way of playing, so they all exclusively play on Battle Spot. Think of it this way, you asking this would be the same as a Japanese player asking why they only run into Americans on PS! haha.

However, they like everyone else go to sleep sooner or later. Since I'm only 2 hours off Japan's timezone I almost exclusively play against them, but if I'm up really late or play in the morning then I barely encounter them at all (I actually see a lot of players from places like Mexico at those times)
Well when do the japanese go to sleep? I have had 9/10 people be japanese when it is 3AM there.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Well when do the japanese go to sleep? I have had 9/10 people be japanese when it is 3AM there.
3am is nothing. 5am or later should be ok, or after 9am when most of them would be at school / work. Either way, whenever you decide to play you need to realise this is a Japanese metagame. They outnumber us by a long shot, and their playstyle is the most influential. They will rule the on-cart metagames forever. If you want to play against Americans then play OU... (or visit the Battle Spot room on PS! and play there).

Honestly, playing against the Japanese and seeing their crazy strats is probably the main reason I love this meta!

3am is nothing. 5am or later should be ok, or after 9am when most of them would be at school / work. Either way, whenever you decide to play you need to realise this is a Japanese metagame. They outnumber us by a long shot, and their playstyle is the most influential. They will rule the on-cart metagames forever. If you want to play against Americans then play OU... (or visit the Battle Spot room on PS! and play there).

Honestly, playing against the Japanese and seeing their crazy strats is probably the main reason I love this meta!
Even on showdown you're not safe from the japanese anymore lol, the top of the BS ladder on showdown is mostly all japanese players now

But yeah, they really do outnumber us by a lot so even at their 5 am, there's probably more japanese nightowls than there is americans/europeans.

is there a place to find what ev spreads are most common among battle spot mons?

or should i just assume almost always 252/252?
There really isnt anything like that atm. The best we have is this which shows you spreads for the BS showdown ladder. Although its not the official BS ladder thats all we have to work with for common EV spreads. 252/252 definitely is usable on a lot of pokemon, especially offensive pokemon like blaziken and garchomp, but there are some mons that appreciate more "complex" spreads. But if you're not running 252 spreads you're probably just going to be EVing for speed creeping or hitting defensive benchmarks(surviving kanga double edge or 2 talon brave birds, etc).

There really isnt anything like that atm. The best we have is this which shows you spreads for the BS showdown ladder. Although its not the official BS ladder thats all we have to work with for common EV spreads. 252/252 definitely is usable on a lot of pokemon but there are some mons that appreciate more "complex" spreads. But if you're not running 252 spreads you're probably just going to be EVing for speed creeping or hitting defensive benchmarks.
Thanks for the quick reply, appreciate it.

I'm not sure if this is question is appropriate to be asked here but has anyone ever thought about how the metagame would've been like if launders-I's sheer force was released? Would it have finally taken down garchomp from the throne as #1 most used?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I'm not sure if this is question is appropriate to be asked here but has anyone ever thought about how the metagame would've been like if launders-I's sheer force was released? Would it have finally taken down garchomp from the throne as #1 most used?
I trust this is due to the recent banning of Landorus-I from OU? Well Sheer Force Lando-I is allowed in the XY Battle Spot metagame, and isn't in the top 12 there so I doubt it would 'take down Garchomp from the throne as #1.' It would be an interesting option and definitely something I would like to try though. Maybe it's low usage in XY is due to it requiring RNGing in BW from the Dream Radar and not that many people can actually do that anymore..?

Does it work a M-Salamence's set with Facade?
For dancing in front of Rotom-W without worries if It use Will-O-Wisp
Facade M-Mence is nice. I see more usage of substitute to take care of status and set up however. Although Facade is useful for the things that are faster than you and you can't sub on, which is typically pranksters like Sableye, Thundurus, or even Stun Spore Whimsicott (not too common though).

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Does it work a M-Salamence's set with Facade?
For dancing in front of Rotom-W without worries if It use Will-O-Wisp
I know GroudonEmpire uses Facade M-Mence on his YouTube stream. It gave me the idea to run Facade M-Altaria since both of them get nice two-move coverage in Flying-Ground and Fairy-Ground respectively, so they can both run Double-Edge or Return as their main source of offence (with Earthquake as coverage) and Facade incase you get statused. There's a lot of status flying around the meta at the moment so it's a pretty good move on something that can afford the moveslot.

I don't think Facade should be run as your main source of offence though since relying on status isn't reliable enough and it's weak without it...

I know GroudonEmpire uses Facade M-Mence on his YouTube stream. It gave me the idea to run Facade M-Altaria since both of them get nice two-move coverage in Flying-Ground and Fairy-Ground respectively, so they can both run Double-Edge or Return as their main source of offence (with Earthquake as coverage) and Facade incase you get statused. There's a lot of status flying around the meta at the moment so it's a pretty good move on something that can afford the moveslot.

I don't think Facade should be run as your main source of offence though since relying on status isn't reliable enough and it's weak without it...
Uh, Altaria with Facade looks cool. I'll try it over Salamence.

Hi Evreyone i'm new to Pokémon Strategy and i just need to know what is the regular set for Thundurus when played in to BSS (I Play Lurechomp and Mega Kangashkan) Because when i read Thundurus statistics in to Pokémon GL almost evreyone are played a Hidden Power Ice Prankster Timid Sitrus Berry Thundurus, i find this set nowhere

Last edited:
anyone know the reason suicune runs 60 spe evs? is there speed creep somewhere? looking at speed tiers it looks like that's more speed than it needs unless base 70/75s are running extra speed, and its not quite enough to outrun base 80s. seems like an awkward number but it's run enough on showdown that i'm sure it shows up on the cartridge. just curious, since i'm not too familiar with the meta (or level 50 stats, lol)

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
anyone know the reason suicune runs 60 spe evs? is there speed creep somewhere? looking at speed tiers it looks like that's more speed than it needs unless base 70/75s are running extra speed, and its not quite enough to outrun base 80s. seems like an awkward number but it's run enough on showdown that i'm sure it shows up on the cartridge. just curious, since i'm not too familiar with the meta (or level 50 stats, lol)
I know 20 EVs outspeeds scarf lando-t under tailwind, but I don't know what the other 60 is for. Check tailwind numbers vs scarfers or things with speed boost.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
It outspeeds max speed base 50s (Azumarill and Mawile) and most defensive Rotom. Doesn't really seem worth it to me since nobody runs jolly Mawile and Azumarill and a lot of Rotoms are offensive.

It outspeeds max speed base 50s (Azumarill and Mawile) and most defensive Rotom. Doesn't really seem worth it to me since nobody runs jolly Mawile and Azumarill and a lot of Rotoms are offensive.
Ah yeah, looks like that's it. I'll have to try without it and see if I actually run into enough of those threats to warrant the investment.

Sidenote: Actually looks like the IV in Showdown was listed as 3 instead of 31 when I was checking the stats and that's why it was such an awkward number, lol. Thanks for the help!

Demantoid

APMS Founder
Ah yeah, looks like that's it. I'll have to try without it and see if I actually run into enough of those threats to warrant the investment.

Sidenote: Actually looks like the IV in Showdown was listed as 3 instead of 31 when I was checking the stats and that's why it was such an awkward number, lol. Thanks for the help!
I actually realized this later but it may also be to outspeed Garchomp after an Icy Wind speed drop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)