CAP 3D Modeling Project

QxC4eva

is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I just want to thank Clawed Nyasu for doing such a great job on the wireframe model! One thing I really liked is how the bow at the back is a continuous mesh rather than split up into different pieces. The UVs are very perfect and symmetrical as well. There's a bit too many seams at the bottom where the big spiral is meant to sit but I think we can deal with it. ;P

I merged all the parts down to a single UV map and put it together with a coloring sheet - which have been sent off to the texture and rigging artists. Hopefully they'll post their work here soon! :3

Also put down paintseagull for Scratchet's shiny textures.

Okay so, thanks Clawed Nyasu and QxC4eva for the wonderful wireframe and UV mapping. In terms of the rigging, I can say that 230 bones later it's done!

All in all it wasn't the most complicated rig outside of the leafy areas at the hands and fringe. Fingers are already annoying enough, so those were pretty time-consuming.

Weight-wise I had to paint the weights for the bow since QxC asked me to do a linear bow rig instead of a full bow rig like I had planned. I'm very pleased with the final result! Midterms mean I won't be able to animate Jumbao myself, but I can drop you with a couple fun test poses I did :D
CHAAAAARGE

Bao Breakdance

Praise the sun!

That's about it for me here. Best of luck to the animators!

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Okay so, thanks Clawed Nyasu and QxC4eva for the wonderful wireframe and UV mapping. In terms of the rigging, I can say that 230 bones later it's done!

All in all it wasn't the most complicated rig outside of the leafy areas at the hands and fringe. Fingers are already annoying enough, so those were pretty time-consuming.

Weight-wise I had to paint the weights for the bow since QxC asked me to do a linear bow rig instead of a full bow rig like I had planned. I'm very pleased with the final result! Midterms mean I won't be able to animate Jumbao myself, but I can drop you with a couple fun test poses I did :D
CHAAAAARGE

Bao Breakdance

Praise the sun!

That's about it for me here. Best of luck to the animators!
Wow! I love the speed and efficiency at which Jumbao is coming along. Great work all three of you!

Sup, everyone! I may not post very often around here, but as I was tasked to work on the textures for Jumbao, I'm now here to showcase the results of my work with some screenshots. :3

Regular

Shiny

Texture Maps (warning, big pics)

Many thanks to the Discord peeps for the feedback, given to me through QxC4eva! It truly helped in making this CAP as close to its original source as possible. ^^

and cresselia92
great job on the textures, if you can give me drawings, i can perfect or edit them on paper then send them to you for modelling.

QxC4eva

is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Three people were interested animating Jumbao but they're all busy right now so I (tried to) fill in for them. I had to take a "sick leave" from work just to do this so you guys better not make me regret it haha.

Jumbao CAP 24 Playtest Renders
Model sheets: Pipotchi
Wireframe: Clawed Nyasu
UV mapping: Clawed Nyasu
Rigging: Zephias
Textures: Cresselia92
Animation: QxC4eva
Renders: QxC4eva
Quality control: Quanyails and all listed above. Excellent work team!

Everyone did an amazing job given how little time we had. Kudos to Zephias who got us a clean decent rig in 3 days, and Cresselia92 for mastering textures in just a few weeks. We'll definitely come back to tidy things up and give Jumbao more animations like dancing etc. in the future.

This CAP whizzed along way faster than usual and it was very hard for us to keep up. Everyone on the team has made some sacrifice or the other. Either skipping work, school, commitments etc, or staying up late -- just to get this done on time. For this reason I cannot afford to do something like this again unless there are changes to the CAP process. For now I hope our modelers will take a nice long break and not worry about the other CAPs for now.

Thanks to Warren685, Birkal and Drapionswing for feedback on this model. Birkal and Swing have been really nice to hold back the final product for us so if you want someone to blame for the delay, that's me!

Last edited:
Three people were interested animating Jumbao but they're all busy right now so I (tried to) fill in for them. I had to take a "sick leave" from work just to do this so you guys better not make me regret it haha.

Jumbao CAP 24 Playtest Renders
Model sheets: Pipotchi
Wireframe: Clawed Nyasu
UV mapping: Clawed Nyasu
Rigging: Zephias
Textures: Cresselia92
Animation: QxC4eva
Renders: QxC4eva
Quality control: Quanyails and all listed above. Excellent work team!

Everyone did an amazing job given how little time we had. Kudos to Zephias who got us a clean decent rig in 3 days, and Cresselia92 for mastering textures in just a few weeks. We'll definitely come back to tidy things up and give Jumbao more animations like dancing etc. in the future.

This CAP whizzed along way faster than usual and it was very hard for us to keep up. Everyone on the team has made some sacrifice or the other. Either skipping work, school, commitments etc, or staying up late -- just to get this done on time. For this reason I cannot afford to do something like this again until there are changes to the CAP process. For now I hope our modelers will take a nice long break and not worry about the other CAPs for now.

Thanks to Warren685, Birkal and Drapionswing for feedback on this model. Birkal and Swing have been really nice to hold back the final product for us so if you want someone to blame for the delay, that's me!
Amazing Job. Congratulations to everybody involved!

Hey that's a sweet looking jumbao, nice work on the animating @QxC4eva I think that Jumbao is ready to be enlisted on PS, and we could use this render for a temporary sprite until we finalize and perfect the render. It might bring exciting news to the people when they see a new CAP on PS.

I’m not saying these have to happen in a rush, but could we finish Scratchet and Kerfluffle’s models before the major break? Again, I’m not saying they have to be done by Friday, I just think we shouldn’t leave those two models just hanging there. :P

Now that the Jumbao blitz is well over, animating Kerfluffle was actually next on my to-do list! (Woulda done it last week, but I was sprucing up some old models for my 3D portfolio, haha.)

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I hope some of the other simple prevos can be tackled during downtime as well. Stuff like the rest of the Aurumoth line, Tactite, Necturine and stuff comes to mind. they can also be used as "practice" for newer modelers looking to help out.

Here's what I've done so far:

I'm using Paint 3D so the model looks VERY rough right now, but I'm hoping to smooth things out soon.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Here's what I've done so far:

I'm using Paint 3D so the model looks VERY rough right now, but I'm hoping to smooth things out soon.
How is Paint 3D anyways? Is it actually practical for this kind of thing? I imagine it can't rig anything, but the finished product can be used in Blender or something, yeah? Sorry if this is a bit off-topic.

How is Paint 3D anyways? Is it actually practical for this kind of thing? I imagine it can't rig anything, but the finished product can be used in Blender or something, yeah? Sorry if this is a bit off-topic.
It's pretty good for basic 3D modeling, but it can export both 2D images and 3D models. I suppose if you were to export a model from Paint 3D, you could load it into Blender and smooth it from there. But it only saves models as GLB, FBX, and 3MF, and I don't know if any of those can import to Blender.
And you are right- it cannot rig.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey, pokegirl06! Is this your first model? I'm happy to see your enthusiasm, and I'm glad to see you getting into 3D modeling. Paint 3D is a great program to play around with 3D modeling, but I recommend that you pick up a more advanced program. It'll have a lot more of the functionality you need, which will go towards a smoother modeling process! Blender is free, and if you're a university student, you can pick up Autodesk products like Maya or 3DS Max. Going from Paint 3D to something like Blender can be challenging, however. You might need some time to learn how to model with one of them. If you have any further questions, there are people on CAP's Discord server that can help.

I'd also recommend that you make a model sheet for Floatoy. It's not necessary, but it will help you make the proportions of the mesh match the original design. Here's also Floatoy's main design, for reference.

In addition, you should have fewer intersecting meshes. The body should be all one mesh, as that will make binding the skeleton to the skin more natural.

The good news is that FBX is a file format many 3D modeling software programs can import. 'u'b

I know this is a lot of information, but I hope it is able to help you. I'd love to see your continued progress on the model!

--

I'll also use this post to tag the other modelers on how their WIP models are doing. Clawed Nyasu, Zephias, QxC4eva?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)