Creative (and good) Movesets (READ THE OP FIRST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a Moveset to contribute (yet), but I'd like to clear up a little bit of the game mechanics.

Crits only bonuses when calculating damage if the attacker's attacking stat is under the base (like -2), or if the defender's defence being calculated is over the base (Like +2).

The type of disregard critical hits give towards attack boosts (Like +6 acting like +2), only applies in Gen 1. Gen 2 onwards works like explained above.

Frosslass @leftovers/brightpowder

Jolly, 252 speed, 252 hp, 4 attack

Swagger
Psych Up
Ice Punch
Thunder Wave/Substitute

Basic idea is to Thunder Wave or Substitute depending on your preference on a switch, Swagger them with Froslass' great speed, and then copy their attack boosts and attack with Ice Punch. Seen this used before and completely screw over most of a team, best used in Hail because of Snow Cloak.

Another set I gave a whirl today:

Latias (F) @ Life Orb Trait: Levitate
EVs: 12 HP / 255 SAtk / 240 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Mirror Type
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

Mirror Type strikes me as a pretty cool move, so this moveset was basically thrown together around that. I'm sure it could be better, to be built around Mirror Type, but I can't think in which way to do that which reflects the metagame. Mew is also another great user, with a gigantic movepool to take advantage of any types it may want to be emulating.

As usual, a highly situational example of how it can be used to interesting effect.

Start of turn 16
Denizen called Grenat back!
Denizen sent out Sardonyx! (Latias)

The foe's Electivire is fast asleep!
The foe's Electivire used Sleep Talk!
The foe's Electivire used Earthquake!
It had no effect!

Start of turn 17
Sardonyx used Mirror Type!
Sardonyx copied the foe's Electivire's types!

The foe's Electivire is fast asleep!

Start of turn 18
Sardonyx used Ice Beam!
The foe's Electivire lost 48% of its health!
Sardonyx is hurt by its Life Orb!

The foe's Electivire woke up!
The foe's Electivire used Sleep Talk!
But it failed!

Start of turn 19
Sardonyx used Ice Beam!
The foe's Electivire lost 0% of its health!
The foe's Electivire fainted!

[CTUR]Tony sent out Roobushin!

Start of turn 20
Sardonyx used Thunderbolt!
The foe's Roobushin lost 77% of its health!

The foe's Roobushin used Stone Edge!
Sardonyx lost 117 HP! (38% of its health)

Essentially it become a fast Shibirudon, STAB included. A pretty funny match.

An interesting thought is a defensive Latias set, that Mirror types steel-type switch ins, to gain a better defensive typing, an immunity to Toxic, and in the case of Ferrothorn an immunity to Leech Seed (though not T-wave).

Starmie can also utilize this with the role of Rapid Spin, this way Ferrothorn can't Leech Seed it, nor is Power Whip an issue any more, but of course it's a bad idea against Ghosts blocking your spin (unless it's Spiritomb). Or Cosmic Power.

But the issue, it's situational and that you're giving a moveslot.

breh

強いだね
An interesting thought is a defensive Latias set, that Mirror types steel-type switch ins, to gain a better defensive typing, an immunity to Toxic, and in the case of Ferrothorn an immunity to Leech Seed (though not T-wave).

Starmie can also utilize this with the role of Rapid Spin, this way Ferrothorn can't Leech Seed it, nor is Power Whip an issue any more, but of course it's a bad idea against Ghosts blocking your spin (unless it's Spiritomb). Or Cosmic Power.

But the issue, it's situational and that you're giving a moveslot.
This is probably a pretty cool idea IMO

Dragon Pulse/CM/HP Fire/Mirror Type anyone?

Or, conversely, Surf>HP Fire?

this is a pretty cool idea actually

This is probably a pretty cool idea IMO

Dragon Pulse/CM/HP Fire/Mirror Type anyone?

Or, conversely, Surf>HP Fire?

this is a pretty cool idea actually
Thing about Mirror Type is that it makes moves like Dragon Pulse not the most ideal choice. Yes it hits everything and with STAB primarily, but after Mirror Type you start to wish it was something else - consider another type, perhaps? I mean, that's providing there are certain pokemon Latias could switch into with impunity, and then you can use their STABs..

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus

Subsplit Starmie

Starmie @ Life Orb
Natural Cure
Timid
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Substitute
Pain Split
Psycho Shock
Boiling Water/Rapid Spin/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/HP Fire

I searched all over the internet for this set, and nobody had thought of it. It emulates gengars subsplit set with higher speed and a different set of resistances. Natural cure is great, obviously, and the last slot can be customized for whatever you want your star to do. Psycho shock is necessary for taking on blissey, but you can gear it to counter specific pokes with the last moveslot, and pull it off thanks to starmies base 115 speed.

Please comment, I'm still working on this set and would like to hear your suggestions!

Subsplit Starmie seems like such a great idea, I am totally shocked as to why I haven't heard of it yet. Especially with Starmie being faster than Gengar it seems to work well. Also, Starmie has better bulk. Leftovers might be better too possibly, but its lack of power in comparison to Gengar might deem necessary for the Life Orb.

At Above: I dont think you want to defeat that bliss, which can give you 150%HP every turn.....

Here with my own moveset:
Tangela@Miracle Of Evolution
Regeneration
(dont know the EV spread, do know the defensive numbers: 334/399/286)
Leech Seed
Giga Drain
Substitute
Sleep Powder

This Thing Does Not Die. Never.

Point of the set is to come in safely, sleep powder the incoming poke, set up a Sub, Leech Seed, Switch out or start Giga Draining

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, life orb is necessary. You still want to be able to sweep with it, and leftovers is substantially weaker.

Oh and

Gengars defensive stats: 60/60/75

Starmies Defensive stats: 60/85/85

Resists: fire, water, ice, psychic, fighting and steel.

The difference between Starmie and Gengar is that Gengar can get perfect neutral coverage with just two moves. This, along with its three immunities (two of which are the most common attacking types in the game), is the main reason that Gengar is a better subsplitter than Starmie.

The difference between Starmie and Gengar is that Gengar can get perfect neutral coverage with just two moves. This, along with its three immunities (two of which are the most common attacking types in the game), is the main reason that Gengar is a better subsplitter than Starmie.
Starmie can too, with the use of BoltBeam... Although it doesn't grant stab... And Gengar has to rely on Focus Blast which has terrible accuracy anyways.

Either way, I think the fact that Starmie has recover is good enough of a reason for Starmie not to worry about Subsplitting, although its two completely different sets and should not be compared.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
BoltBeam doesn't give perfect neutral coverage.
Anyways, the whole point of Gengar's use of Pain Split is to take away large amounts of HP from Blissey, so Psycho Shock isn't as important. Starmie should instead run Surf/Hydro Pump and Ice Beam, so it can beat Tyranitar and hit Nattorei for at least neutral damage.

Another set I gave a whirl today:

Latias (F) @ Life Orb Trait: Levitate
EVs: 12 HP / 255 SAtk / 240 Spd
- Mirror Type
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
The first Calm Mind you use gives a 50% boost to all special moves (+1 in Special Attack), which is the same as changing your type to get STAB on them. It also boosts Special Defense and can be used multiple times to get better boosts. You also don't lose your awesome Dragon STAB while using it. There's no reason to use Mirror Type with CM available.

breh

強いだね
The first Calm Mind you use gives a 50% boost to all special moves (+1 in Special Attack), which is the same as changing your type to get STAB on them. It also boosts Special Defense and can be used multiple times to get better boosts. You also don't lose your awesome Dragon STAB while using it. There's no reason to use Mirror Type with CM available.
uhhh

what

the point, as far as I see it, is to copy nattorei's typing and then set up with one of the best defensive typings in the game.

Drizzletoed + Surf/Dragon Pulse/CM/Mirror Type seems impenetrable.

I've been using a Skill swap Dusclops@ miracle of evolution, bulky on the Physical and with a few EV's on the special side, and it really works out wonders.

It's mostly situational though, but that's what the other attacks cover. Believe me, Doryuzzu won't like loosing it's speed, Reuiclus won't like loosing magic guard, and believe me, unless Immunity is glitched, if you manage to stall out gliscor for a while and use skill swap, things going down fast.

uhhh

what

the point, as far as I see it, is to copy nattorei's typing and then set up with one of the best defensive typings in the game.

Drizzletoed + Surf/Dragon Pulse/CM/Mirror Type seems impenetrable.

That's not what his moveset was, though. :/ Additionally, you're losing Recover when you use that, which is a pretty big deal. And if you use Recover, you're stuck with a STABless mono attacker, which is pretty weak.

breh

強いだね
That's not what his moveset was, though. :/ Additionally, you're losing Recover when you use that, which is a pretty big deal. And if you use Recover, you're stuck with a STABless mono attacker, which is pretty weak.
Actually, the loss of recover isn't that great TBH. Latias has nice bulk.

Bulky wasn't really what i was looking for, or really offensive - just the Utility of Mirror Type. Yeah you can Calm Mind, but getting "trapped" by Tyranitar just for it to pursuit it's own typing is nice, as well as Mirror Typing an electric type and suddenly having no weaknesses.

It's a nice move, situational maybe, but in some scenarios it's made Latias much more useful than just a generic special attacker.

breh

強いだね
Bulky wasn't really what i was looking for, or really offensive - just the Utility of Mirror Type. Yeah you can Calm Mind, but getting "trapped" by Tyranitar just for it to pursuit it's own typing is nice, as well as Mirror Typing an electric type and suddenly having no weaknesses.

It's a nice move, situational maybe, but in some scenarios it's made Latias much more useful than just a generic special attacker.
Actually, I've been screwing around with Latias on PO Smogon server and it's pretty fun. Unfortunately I haven't been able to face good opponents (due to an unprecedented n00b flood) but when it copies Nattorei, it's freaking hilarious. Scizor works too. Uhhh... if Rain is up, it uses Excadrill to its own advantage (levitating ground steel = free CMs)

Just for reference, I use what I posted before: Calm Mind/Surf/Dragon Pulse/Mirror Type.

TBH any steel type works actually....

Oh and also I've been running Worry Seed Shaymin, which is surprisingly... good?

BoltBeam doesn't give perfect neutral coverage.
Anyways, the whole point of Gengar's use of Pain Split is to take away large amounts of HP from Blissey, so Psycho Shock isn't as important. Starmie should instead run Surf/Hydro Pump and Ice Beam, so it can beat Tyranitar and hit Nattorei for at least neutral damage.

... Yes it does? This is pulled from the thread "Best Dual Moves for Coverage."

Electric/Ice (AKA BoltBeam)
Super Effective Against: 5/17 (Dragon/Flying/Grass/Ground/Water)
Known Resisters: Lanturn (Volt Absorb)/Magnezone/Mamoswine (Thick Fat)/Rotom-Fridge/Rotom-Heat/Seaking (Lightning Rod)/Shedinja
Pokemon With Dual Stab: Rotom-Fridge

Unless you are talking about covering ALLLLLLL the pokemon and having NO resisters absolutely at all (including the ones with thick fat and odd typing), then yes, you are right.

Fighting/Ghost
Super Effective Against: 7/17 (Dark/Ghost/Ice/Normal/Psychic/Rock/Steel)
Known Resisters: None
Pokemon With Dual Stab: None

But still, considering the only pokemon that really cause a problem for Bolt Beam in OU for Starmie is... Mamoswine with thick fat, Magnezone, and MAYBE the 2 Rotoms, I think its pretty safe to say that a Starmie with Bolt Beam has perfect coverage, unless you really want to nitpick those few threats.

There's probably already a set like this out there, but I just wanted to emphasize it.

Serperior@Life Orb
Contrarian / Timid
6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- HP Fire/Ice
- Taunt

Ever since I heard that Serperior got Contrarian as a DW ability, I've been using him in my teams. This Serperior set's greatest asset is that it can cut through both offensive and defensive teams alike (I've always used HP Fire, because I've got other ways to deal with dragons). Serperior is one of few Pokemon that can break through both the SkarmBliss and FerroCent defensive cores, thanks to Taunt. Obviously, Leaf Storm needs no explaining, being his signature move. After a couple of uses, Giga Drain becomes the more attractive option, since with its now 75 BP, it can heal a lot from bulky waters, who generally have high HP, and Blissey, who ia rendered useless through Taunt. HP Fire is, IMO, the better option aa the coverage move, since it deals with the large amount of steels in the metagame. You are walled by fire and dragon pokemon, so it's best to partner Serperior up with a bulky water that also packs ice beam, and also mabye a balloon Heatran.

breh

強いだね
Ok, after further experimentation with NDenizen's set, I can safely conclude it's pretty freaking awesome.

Although I admit 1277 is a very modest rating right now, it's a really cool set and works just how I want it to.

If it has rain support and copies a Nattorei or a Doryuuzu, few opponents initially realize how freaking resilient it is. In fact, it walls Nattorei (you have to let something die to keep it away from gyro ball though) and Doryuuzu (bar the rare Brick Break>Xscissor, Return, Rapid Spin ones) and is really hilarious. Terakion is an issue but only if you're in SS. If you copy any typing then get a +1 from CM, it's as good as dead in rain to what is effectively double STAB surf. Also avoid Superpower Scarftar; if you copied a Nattorei, it will kill you.

tl;dr Mirror Type Latias is really cool actually

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Mirror Type
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Calm Mind

Use with rain support and kill t-tar and the odd hippo early on, win

There's probably already a set like this out there, but I just wanted to emphasize it.

Serperior@Life Orb
Contrarian / Timid
6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- HP Fire/Ice
- Taunt

Ever since I heard that Serperior got Contrarian as a DW ability, I've been using him in my teams. This Serperior set's greatest asset is that it can cut through both offensive and defensive teams alike (I've always used HP Fire, because I've got other ways to deal with dragons). Serperior is one of few Pokemon that can break through both the SkarmBliss and FerroCent defensive cores, thanks to Taunt. Obviously, Leaf Storm needs no explaining, being his signature move. After a couple of uses, Giga Drain becomes the more attractive option, since with its now 75 BP, it can heal a lot from bulky waters, who generally have high HP, and Blissey, who ia rendered useless through Taunt. HP Fire is, IMO, the better option aa the coverage move, since it deals with the large amount of steels in the metagame. You are walled by fire and dragon pokemon, so it's best to partner Serperior up with a bulky water that also packs ice beam, and also mabye a balloon Heatran.
I find that running HP Ground in place of Ice or Fire works wonders. You're still not walled by mons like Nattorei or Scizor, but it also gives you a very reliable way of taking down Fire-types like Heatran or Infernape.

Ok, after further experimentation with NDenizen's set, I can safely conclude it's pretty freaking awesome.
I just slapped BoltBeam around Mirror Type, it's you that actually experimented with it properly and found a good combo. I may give it a go - Mirror Type's just too fun to pass down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)