Dexit discussion thread

I'd put an asterisk on Corsola. It got in. But at what cost? What did it experience?
Lol true. Its okay its very likely regular corsola will be transferable cause it shares the same dex number so my healthy corsolas will be totally fine when they come with me

Edit; i deleted the post cause i noticed theres no spoiler tag in this thread, dont want to spoil what got in and what didnt

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Aight, let's see how many of my favorites survived the purge...

:drampa: Check!
:kommo-o: Check!
:silvally: Check!
:hydreigon: Check!
:necrozma: nope...
:incineroar: nope...
:gengar: Check!
:torterra: nope...
:marowak-alola: nope...
And my 10th fav is Sirfetch'd, so he doesn't count. My next non-Galar mon after that would be :ho-oh:, and he isn't in.

In other words, not counting Galar stuff it's 50/50 for me. Not too bad, especially since most of my top 5 made it.

Also, I don't know why people are worried about PU and ZU this gen. If we go off ADV, they're gonna be WILD this gen, and I mean that in a good way. To give you an idea, in ADV ZU, Delibird is one of the best mons. Now if that doesn't sound like a model format, I don't know what is.... ...memes aside, this could mean most mons in the Galar dex could manage to be viable in one Smogon format or another without having to make a ton of new tiers. And isn't that good for reducing bloat and stuff in a way?

I would be inclined to take part in this "see if your top 10 favourites are here" game, but I simply can't pick just 10.

But you can see my current avatar and have some kind of idea...

About the metagame consequences of this Thanos-level erase, I guess it will be reverted to OU, UU and NU as official formats like DPP. I doubt Uber will have any significance due to practically having no mons.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
I would be inclined to take part in this "see if your top 10 favourites are here" game, but I simply can't pick just 10.

But you can see my current avatar and have some kind of idea...

About the metagame consequences of this Thanos-level erase, I guess it will be reverted to OU, UU and NU as official formats like DPP. I doubt Uber will have any significance due to practically having no mons.
OU, UU, RU, NU, and maybe PU would have mostly fully evolved representation and could therefore easily be formed. Gen 4 PU (with no RU it’s basically NU) is virtually all fully evolved mons and rhydon, so thinking anything before PU is going away is misguided. Ubers will probably also have a solid 10 or so mons, which is between gen 2 and gen 3 ubers in terms of size I think

OU, UU, RU, NU, and maybe PU would have mostly fully evolved representation and could therefore easily be formed. Gen 4 PU (with no RU it’s basically NU) is virtually all fully evolved mons and rhydon, so thinking anything before PU is going away is misguided. Ubers will probably also have a solid 10 or so mons, which is between gen 2 and gen 3 ubers in terms of size I think
I did a quick estimate but the number of final evolved Pokemon is somewhere around 230 + Rotom and Silvally forms. So that means...

1) Ubers is dead. The two dog legends + Eternus + maybe Aegislash does not make a tier. Ubers is back to being a ban list aka OUBL. Even if Ubers does eventually reach 10 Pokemon it would be things like Dugtrio and Wobbuffet not fun shit like Kyogre and Arceus.

2) You could probably divide up the remains into 4 or so full metas. PU and ZU are both probably dead though. How many tiers end up being possible is more about how centralized the higher tiers are.

What feels incomplete about Dexit is Pokemon Home. How is that going to provide us a place to keep our Pokemon? In what form will they be there? What will I be able to do with my Pokemon in Pokemon Home? What promises of permanence does Home have?

The transfer from Go to LGPE loses a lot of the data. Is that the new trend? Will my starter Blaziken from Day 1 Sapphire, still indicate Hoenn?

What future proofing will we need to do? Pokemon Bank will eventually cease operations. Do we need to make sure we're carrying specific Pokemon? Some moves are only available on specific Pokemon in specific generations.

What happens if a move becomes a lot better in a future generation and only a small niche of the Community has that? For instance if Teleport were to allow a switch out that ignores entry hazards, after Bank compatibility is killed. The possibility of crucial legacy moves has gone way up.

What happens if a move becomes a lot better in a future generation and only a small niche of the Community has that? For instance if Teleport were to allow a switch out that ignores entry hazards, after Bank compatibility is killed. The possibility of crucial legacy moves has gone way up.
That's already a thing with event moves.

What future proofing will we need to do? Pokemon Bank will eventually cease operations.
Pokemon bank charges a annual fee so theoretically it would continue to exist as long as anyone uses it. 5 dollars a month easily covers the server costs per person. Killing bank would basically be like throwing money in the toilet and comes with the complicated situation where most Pokemon from gen 7 and earlier would be locked in their old games.

Last edited:
Pokemon bank charges a monthly fee so theoretically it would continue to exist as long as anyone uses it. 5 dollars a month easily covers the server costs per person. Killing bank would basically be like throwing money in the toilet and comes with the complicated situation where most Pokemon from gen 7 and earlier would be locked in their old games.
It’s yearly.

So this is the image that has been making the rounds on the internet:
White is Pokemon that got cut, green is Pokemon that are in Sword & Shield, and orange is Pokemon that are in with a new Galarian form.

dexit.png

We also are 99.9% sure that Mega-Evolutions and Z-Crystals will not be returning. Holy metagame differences, Batman!

Of current OU Pokemon, the only ones I noticed that are going to be in Sword & Shield are Tyranitar, Rotom, Excadrill, Toxapex, Ferrothorn, Hawlucha, and Kommo-O. Hawlucha is debatable, because I really don't think it stays OU without Tapu support. I'm also not including anything that isn't OU without its Mega-Evolution or Z-Crystal (Gyarados, Charizard, Mawile, etc). I should also probably mention that I didn't spend hours going Pokemon-by-Pokemon, so I might have missed a couple.

For the first time in years, we're looking at a meta without Garchomp, Landorus-T, Skarmory, Heatran, and many, many other staples. Now, I'm not necessarily saying that SwSh is going to be a fun meta (it's way too early to know), but it's definitely going to be different.

Other things I've notices, as they pertain to Smogon metas:
  • Sun teams have lost their best weather setter, as Charizard-Y will not be in the game.
  • Rain teams no longer have Mega-Swampert to take advantage of the weather, but they still have Pelipper
  • Sand teams lost Garchomp, but retained Excadrill and Tyranitar
  • Ice teams: we don't know. Vulpix is in, but what about Alolan forms?
  • The only starter from previous generations is Charizard. That means no Greninja, no Incineroar, no Serperior.
  • There are basically no legendary or mythical Pokemon from previous gens other than Mew.
  • Wouldn't be surprised if Toxapex gets banned from OU, as essentially all of its checks/counters have been removed.
  • I think it's pretty much guaranteed that "power creep" seems to be moving backwards heavily with SwSh, which I guess is a good thing. Maybe we'll see a lot more viability for Pokemon that got largely overlooked in later generations.

Last edited:
Well several of my favorites are still in the game (Espeon, Wailord, Slurpuff) but I do lose my favorite pokemon (Golem) and my favorite fossil (Tyrantrum) not to mention the majority of starters that I liked.

So this is the image that has been making the rounds on the internet:
White is Pokemon that got cut, green is Pokemon that are in Sword & Shield, and orange is Pokemon that are in with a new Galarian form.

View attachment 204071

We also are 99.9% sure that Mega-Evolutions and Z-Crystals will not be returning. Holy metagame differences, Batman!

Of current OU Pokemon, the only ones I noticed that are going to be in Sword & Shield are Tyranitar, Rotom, Excadrill, Toxapex, Ferrothorn, Hawlucha, and Kommo-O. Hawlucha is debatable, because I really don't think it stays OU without Tapu support. I'm also not including anything that isn't OU without its Mega-Evolution or Z-Crystal (Gyarados, Charizard, Mawile, etc). I should also probably mention that I didn't spend hours going Pokemon-by-Pokemon, so I might have missed a couple.

For the first time in years, we're looking at a meta without Garchomp, Landorus-T, Skarmory, Heatran, and many, many other staples. Now, I'm not necessarily saying that SwSh is going to be a fun meta (it's way too early to know), but it's definitely going to be different.

Other things I've notices, as they pertain to Smogon metas:
  • Sun teams have lost their best weather setter, as Charizard-Y will not be in the game.
  • Rain teams no longer have Mega-Swampert to take advantage of the weather, but they still have Pelipper
  • Sand teams lost Garchomp, but retained Excadrill and Tyranitar
  • Ice teams: we don't know. Vulpix is in, but what about Alolan forms?
  • The only starter from previous generations is Charizard. That means no Greninja, no Incineroar, no Serperior.
  • There are basically no legendary or mythical Pokemon from previous gens other than Mew.
  • Wouldn't be surprised if Toxapex gets banned from OU, as essentially all of its checks/counters have been removed.
  • I think it's pretty much guaranteed that "power creep" seems to be moving backwards heavily with SwSh, which I guess is a good thing. Maybe we'll see a lot more viability for Pokemon that got largely overlooked in later generations.
Things I've noticed:
  • Sun/Rain teams lost most of their Chlorophyll/Swift Swim users including there best ones.
  • Sand kept its best abuser Excadrill as well as all three of its setters (Gigalith, Hippowdon, Tyranitar).
  • Alot of the lower tier Trick Room users are still in; hopefully it becomes a bit more viable now.
  • Because of the lost of Legendaries, some Mono Type team got hurt bad (Flying, Psychic, Dragon, Fairy)
  • While it is easier to speculate how OU might turn out; Due to losing so many Pokemon both high and low tier the lower tiers are a grab bag. Can't even speculate how they are going to look.
  • Shuckle and Galvantula are the only returning Pokemon with Sticky Web
I am hoping the lack of Legendaries and the hardest hitting Pokemon means the meta becomes more diverse. I am sad to see several of my favorites go but I look forward to the new Meta.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
has the council decided what will happen with the metagame? split metagame for full dex and dexit dex or only a single one?
iirc The main tiers will continue to be based off cart, so they'll keep the restricted dex. However there will be National Dex OU in OM form with everything allowed, including Megas and possibly Z-moves which will likely be left to community vote.

I was expecting them to cut like 200 Pokemon minus the Megas, alternate form etc, but they really went as far to remove half the previous gen roster. That hurts. Even Gen 1 Pokemon despite LGPE, a switch game, having all the models already.
I have also seen the leaked new Pokemon and I honestly don't consider those well done designs minus 2 or 3. There is no way I am getting this game even used.

I am hoping the lack of Legendaries and the hardest hitting Pokemon means the meta becomes more diverse. I am sad to see several of my favorites go but I look forward to the new Meta.
Here's the hot take about one good thing of Brexit: at least the powerdrop is massive from previous gens: suddently 100 speed is not a mediocre and overcrowded speed tier anymore! :D
(Guess what's Charizard's speed :smogthink: )

trubbish

Banned deucer.
This maybe has been said before but I do want to put my two cents in about dexit because why not?
So, after spending a lot of time in this fandom I've really come to see how many different sub-groups it has. It seems like every other person comes to Pokemon for different things. You have shiny hunters, pokedex-completers, those who just like to play casually, breeders, self-imposed challenge players, and competitive players, etc etc. Of course there is going to be some overlap but it seems like everyone falls primarily into one camp, and the reason they play the games, and what they want from the games, stems from that.

I play the game competitively. Friends and I have been doing draft leagues for a bit and I've primarily followed the competitive side of the game. I hardly play the game on cartridge anymore. So, honestly, finding out about dexit was actually exciting for me. As someone who spends most of their time with the franchise on Pokemon Showdown, the best thing they could've done to revitalize the franchise, to ME, was cut a bunch of Pokemon, and I am over-joyous that OU was purged to the extent it has.

Does this mean the metagame will be good? Not necessarily. But atleast it will be different. And there will be a lot of fun in the discussions about this new, wild meta. That said I have felt that Pokemon needed a good purging for the sake of its competitiveness, so I am glad that its being experimented with.

That said, I can definitely understand why this decision got so much backlash, since for all the other sub-groups in the franchise, it is bit devastating. I mean, I was always of the opinion that a dex cut had to happen eventually, just due to the way that game development works, they obviously can't keep adding new Pokemon AND recreating all the old ones forever. If they did, serious measures would have to be made to allow it. I'm not saying that decision needed to be made now for SW/SH- but it was one that had to be made, eventually. Now, I predicted that they would simply cut everything but the original 151 and start over, so, I am atleast thankful that the reality isn't that.

What I DO have a problem with, and what I think made the dexcut even worse for everyone to deal with, was that the game kinda looks like trash. Its not secret that the graphics are generations behind what is expected. I was very disappointed, when the game was first announced (I was watching from the bathroom at my work, good times) to see that the models were just being reused. I really just want way more for the franchise and Game Freak isn't delivering in that aspect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)