Hardest Video Game Ever

Almost everyone should say something different for this, I mean, everyone plays different games! I'm a Nintendo Nerd so I play Nintendo, and some of the hard games I play, some people have never heard of! So to clarify what I'm saying, one game is just so hard...yet addicting. Almost impossible, very frustrating, grueling, unfair, too hard, and just cheap....yet awesome. If you know what I'm talking about already, then you obviously know what I'm talking about.

My God. This game is so hard. What's really weird is that it's basically made to target TMNT fans. Those people are kids overall. Then when they play this, they are punched in the head. Seriously, if you've played this game, I bet you haven't beaten it yet. Either 2 player mode kills you, those motor cars kill you, those freakin' snowmen kill you, those spikes kill you, and basically everything else. The game is so fun though. It's gotta be one of my favorite NES games. Every level has a different style of play, so you gotta be good to get anywhere. From beat' em up to driving to platforming, and that's actually all I've gotten to. Bet there's more though.

So what is the most difficult game you've ever played? I really wanna know what can be harder than this...

I hope you aren't trolling because LOL BATTLETOADS but Idunno, I beat BattleToads with my brother a long time ago and I never found it that hard, I haven't played in forever though.

O.o

You beat it?
It gets me so angry that I watch family matters!

But yeah just today I heard about that prank at Gamestop.

God damn Battle Toads. Played that at my friend's house the other day for the first time, and it was both addicting and frustrating. Even better, he was wearing a Battle Toads T-shirt that day.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I Wanna Be The Guy is pretty fucked up. google it, there are numerous reports about people breaking their games because of it.

Also most old-school games get annoying (i.e. Mappy, Burger Time, Galaga) since they have fuck-slow responses.

I Wanna Be The Guy is pretty fucked up. google it, there are numerous reports about people breaking their games because of it.

Also most old-school games get annoying (i.e. Mappy, Burger Time, Galaga) since they have fuck-slow responses.
Wasn't there an I Wanna Be the Guy thread not that long ago?

Either way, fantastic game, but yeah, hard as fuck. I guess that's the point though.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
While it's probably not the hardest video game ever, I have to say that Trauma Center: Under The Knife and Trauma Center: Under The Knife 2 (Hard Mode), as well as Phantasy Star II have easily been the hardest games I've played and have actually been able to beat by whatever divine miracle allowed it.

If you've played DS, you've heard of the Trauma Center series most likely. The first game was notoriously difficult in that even the smallest mistake could fuck up your entire surgery if you couldn't stabilize the patient fast enough. Not only that, but the sheer amount of stress it puts on you while you're playing is quite ridiculous. In fact, the game was so hard that they had to put difficulty modes in Under The Knife 2 so people could actually beat the game without having to try each operation several times before actually completing it.

Luckily, I started the second game right after I finished the first game, so I figured while I was still in the groove, I might as well play it on Hard Mode. I thought the first game was hard, but on hard mode, the 2nd game is much, much harder. Every mistake makes vitals go down by so much, and there's several times where you have to do multiple surgeries in a row, each of them being hard. Seriously though, these games were just unbelievably stressful, but good lord, the Trauma Center games were extremely fulfilling to beat, because I was able to see just how much patience I actually have.

Phantasy Star II for Sega Genesis has the old RPG syndrome, but to an even greater degree. It's literally impossible to get out of the first part of the game alive if you don't level grind A LOT. Not to mention how incredibly easy it is to get lost in the dungeons (I had to use a map for most of the later dungeons because of how frustrating they were). Also, Dark Force, the 2nd last boss, is easily one of the hardest boss fights I've ever done. The only way I was able to beat him was by going for broke. If my last remaining character took any more damage, he'd have been dead.

As for a game that's just too difficult for me to actually beat, I'd have to say Crash Twinsanity. Honestly, I cannot understand how anyone can beat that game without hacking it or something. Crash dies to everything. If he so much as touches a nitro box, he dies. If his toe takes the smallest dip in the water, he dies. And of course falling in a hole is instant death too, plus getting hit without the mask on. While this seems like a regular platformer, the camera angles make this game so fucking hard. There are times when you have to blindly jump, and you'll accidentally hit nitro or jump into a hole. This game is incredibly unforgiving in my opinion, and it's easily one of the hardest platformers I've played.

I am an RPG fan so difficulty is rarely an issue... but on the rare occasion I play RPG-action, action or Fighting games, then I have a load of trouble. Particularly in Tekken, when in Ultra Hard mode the CPU has absurd artificial intelligence, knowing the precise moment to block, as well as counter attack.

I love Battletoads, it's so ridiculous. I haven't played any other game that comes close, but then again I haven't played enough different games to say anything like "this is the hardest game ever".

I am an RPG fan so difficulty is rarely an issue... but on the rare occasion I play RPG-action, action or Fighting games, then I have a load of trouble. Particularly in Tekken, when in Ultra Hard mode the CPU has absurd artificial intelligence, knowing the precise moment to block, as well as counter attack.
You should try NetHack - a dungeon crawler by many named to be one of the hardest video games in the world... It's also free :P

Ninja gaiden was one of the more frustratingly hard games i've played but near the end you get so superpowered it doesn't even matter.
The hardest game i ever played though was friggin megaman for original gb. I could not for the life of me beat more than one boss. I hated cut man so badly.

You should try NetHack - a dungeon crawler by many named to be one of the hardest video games in the world... It's also free :P
I think it's been said that no-one's ever ascended without the help of game guides.

Another game that surely deserves a mention: Desert Bus. Along a similar line, many games, including Gran Turismo 4, allow you to do 24 hour races in real time. (GT4 lets you pause at least, but still, that would be several days of playing, and constant paranoia about a power cut.)

Oh, and the glitched level on Pac Man.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Well, you've got your games that are made to be hard and aren't really good games at all except for the novelty of it, like I Wanna Be The Guy. Then you've got games that are really shitty and didn't intend to be as fucking annoying as they were is so many different ways Jak 2 is like putting your balls in a vice. The only reason I actually beat Jak 2 was so that it wouldn't beat me.

Now if you want truly well made games that have hard modes that make you feel like you really accomplished something, there's none greater than Dante Must Die Mode in Devil May Cry.

As for a game that's just too difficult for me to actually beat, I'd have to say Crash Twinsanity. Honestly, I cannot understand how anyone can beat that game without hacking it or something. Crash dies to everything. If he so much as touches a nitro box, he dies. If his toe takes the smallest dip in the water, he dies. And of course falling in a hole is instant death too, plus getting hit without the mask on. While this seems like a regular platformer, the camera angles make this game so fucking hard. There are times when you have to blindly jump, and you'll accidentally hit nitro or jump into a hole. This game is incredibly unforgiving in my opinion, and it's easily one of the hardest platformers I've played.
crash sucked after naughty dog left it

Ninja gaiden was one of the more frustratingly hard games i've played but near the end you get so superpowered it doesn't even matter.
The hardest game i ever played though was friggin megaman for original gb. I could not for the life of me beat more than one boss. I hated cut man so badly.
I suck at video games, so my "hard games" probably aren't as hard as I make them out to be. HOLY SHIT MEGAMAN 8, I STILL HAVE NOT BEATEN THAT

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
Hopefully I wasn't the only person expecting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQZuidKexBQ when I came in?

I'd put Touhou/東方 in Lunatic difficulty up there, especially Subterranean Animism and Undefined Fantastic Object.

And Oboromuramasa/Muramasa: The Demon Blade in Shigurui mode. It's pretty much the hardest AI difficulty plus the inability of leveling up your HP; it's stuck at 1.

Maybe it's not really a video game by today's standards, but I remember being INCREDIBLY frustrated with Myst. I haven't played any of its sequels, so I can't vouch for the difficulty of any of those... but yeah... Myst.

It wasn't that you had to know a certain "trick" to beat bosses because there WEREN'T any bosses to beat. It was that entire game was problem solving and you had to constantly think to yourself, "Ok, if this were real life, what would I do?" And it seemed like EVERY little detail in the game was a hint or a key to a puzzle, so a lot of the time, I was just overwhelmed by the amount of information to process.

But if you want to talk about more current games... Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia is pretty hard (I gave up on it when I reached the third boss). Couldn't even tell you how many times I died.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Does Tetris count? Pretty sure that game is the hardest.

In terms of games that are actually beatable, I found Dance Dance Revolution (I know...) outrageously difficult on the harder settings, although it is arguable what "beating" DDR is.

The toughest game I have actually beaten is probably Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. The Boost and Spider Guardians are tough as hell on Hard mode, and Emperor Ing is no walk in the park either. Halo:CE on Legendary was also outrageously difficult, although if you just keep playing from CheckPoints its not that hard to beat. However, Halo 1 on Legendary without dying is...something that exceeds my skill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)