Hardest Video Game Ever

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Assasin's Creed 2
I've been thinking of getting that but I read IGN's review and their main criticism was that it was too easy. Is it challenging enough to warrant a purchase, you think?

A recent game I found quite challenging was God of War I, the Challenge of the Gods mode. 'Only' took me about 90 minutes but died/failed probably close to a hundred times. Fallout 3 also had quite a steep learning curve...the first 3-4 hours were really tough but it became relatively easy after that. Have you played Fallout, IggyBot? I found it to be quite a unique addition to the RPG genre.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Assassin's Creed 2 is a good enough game to warrant a purchase. It isn't going to challenge you, certainly not if you're into God of War. But it's very well made and it's longer than most games these days.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Man even I thought assassins creed 2 was easy. By the end of it my goal was not to survive, but to finish missions without damage.. And I still found it easy..

Pretty samey too, but on the whole I enjoyed it a lot..

Have a nice day.

I have played many old games but to be honest none even compared in terms of difficulty with F-Zero GX. (never played battletoads though)

If you are a gamer who needs a challenge from an exciting game without resorting to older games this is the one.

While it is somewhat 'possible' to beat all staff ghosts with sneaking. Trying to beat the story mode and the Grand Prix on the highest difficulty is totally insane and requires several reserve controllers as you'll be smashing them against the walls out of frustration.

To those who don't know the game. It's a race in which you have to compete against 29 other racers at a dazzling speed and on the highest difficulty every single one of them plays smart and cannot be outspeeded by normal means(oh and you also start last)

It usually comes to trying to kick as many cpu's out of the race as possible (certainly your rival) and somehow manage to get the most points at the end of the Grand Prix.

Needless to say i've spend a few hundred hours on this game but i still haven't finished it and i doubt i'll ever will. Still an awesome game though one of the best i'e ever played

EDIT: The hardest game ever made is without a doubt kaizo mario, though that's a mod made by some crazy japanese so i don't know if that counts

I got Digimon World 1 when I was a kid and that game was HARD!!! Basically you couldn't enjoy the Digimon you had because it had a limited life span. Just when you're kicking ass with your buddy, it starts to reincarnate into a Digitama AGAIN!!! That means the high parameters you had went down the drain. You also had to take it to a toilet so it wouldn't crap on the floor. if it does that too much, you'll get a Numemon, the worst Champion Digimon in the game. Oh and there are VERY few toilets in the friggin' game. You're high on a mountain and have to pretty much run back all the way to Primary Village just to get to the toilet in time.

The game does not give you good hints on where to go next, so you'll pretty much mistakenly wander into areas with like Ultimate level Digimon with your liittle rookie.

The battles are also pretty one sided because if youre on low HP against a group of enemies, you're screwed and your digimon can easily flinch and get interrupted while attacking. The battles are super clunky as well since your digimon's attack speed is super slow. Oh and it can only die 3 times, once it dies 3 times, the moves you learned and the digimon you once had is gone forever. You of course have to start with a Digitama again. with NO moves passed on from it's past life this time. It's absolute death!!! Paralysis has NEVER been so BROKEN (Star Ocean 3 takes that too lol)!!! Your digimon is pretty much helpless unless you cure it fast with a floppy item, otherwise consider it a death sentence.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
ninja gaiden 2, and black.

holy christ-wagons I rage quit those games so much

I have played many old games but to be honest none even compared in terms of difficulty with F-Zero GX. (never played battletoads though)

If you are a gamer who needs a challenge from an exciting game without resorting to older games this is the one.

While it is somewhat 'possible' to beat all staff ghosts with sneaking. Trying to beat the story mode and the Grand Prix on the highest difficulty is totally insane and requires several reserve controllers as you'll be smashing them against the walls out of frustration.

To those who don't know the game. It's a race in which you have to compete against 29 other racers at a dazzling speed and on the highest difficulty every single one of them plays smart and cannot be outspeeded by normal means(oh and you also start last)

It usually comes to trying to kick as many cpu's out of the race as possible (certainly your rival) and somehow manage to get the most points at the end of the Grand Prix.

Needless to say i've spend a few hundred hours on this game but i still haven't finished it and i doubt i'll ever will. Still an awesome game though one of the best i'e ever played
I did it using only one controller (as in, beat all story chapters in very hard and finished every cup in the hardest difficulty). But yeah, that game was a bitch if you wanted 100%.

I'm not really that great of a gamer so i find alot of things hard. So I'm just going to back up a couple of the earlier ones.

Myst was a killer to work out.
KOTOR was hard if you decided to be good with the worst class.

Now for some originals. GT4 was friggin hell to 100%. Try getting gold in s licence on that ice track.

The original Rayman. This may just be my suckitude at gaming talking but I can't even get past halfway through the game. (I haven't played it for years though.)

Survival. I'm not sure if it was just how boring it was but I don't think I ever managed to finish it on hard.

The Dora The Explorer games. Seeing as everything with Dora on the front should be killed immediately I assumed that was the aim of the game. After an hour of trying to get her to let of the vine while she was swinging over the snapping crocodiles I gave up and concluded that the game was unwinnable. Also trying to leave trash behind in the dora mermaid game won't kill the dolphins. I tried.

I Wanna Be The Guy is hard but isn't that bad. I'm not sure but from what I've heard and played a little of this isn't easy.

Battletoads I know is hard though.

Does Tetris count? Pretty sure that game is the hardest.

In terms of games that are actually beatable, I found Dance Dance Revolution (I know...) outrageously difficult on the harder settings, although it is arguable what "beating" DDR is.

The toughest game I have actually beaten is probably Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. The Boost and Spider Guardians are tough as hell on Hard mode, and Emperor Ing is no walk in the park either. Halo:CE on Legendary was also outrageously difficult, although if you just keep playing from CheckPoints its not that hard to beat. However, Halo 1 on Legendary without dying is...something that exceeds my skill.
Playing DDR on any "difficult" setting really depends on how you play it. There is either the arcade version where you play with of course your legs; the PS2, etc., console versions where you play with the controller (which is easier), and it all depends on what song, and that if you don't play on Heavy mode, Oni mode, or higher, than it's not difficult. Some songs are just near impossible to complete on Heavy, therefore they become a nice Standard played song.

As for it being difficult on home systems, I'd have to say using a Xbox/360 controller playing DDR games with the shitty D-pad is very frustrating; this is why I prefer to play it either on the machine itself or on my PS2 (and I dislike the stupid gamepads they come with -- those things are shit, unless they have a metal one with one of those handle bars that come with it like on the real machines, then okay, cool).

Halo 1 on Legendary was difficult, but there were ways to get past it back then. Playing Halo: Reach on Legendary has made me realize how easy it is on Halo: CE on Legendary. Though, the only time I beat Halo: CE on Legendary was with my brother and the hardest part to get past was where all the convenant are in the cafeteria/kitchen area, and they are hard as hell to kill because they are grenade happy and their shots kill you fast. How'd we get past it? Every time we'd run out of pistol ammo (the assault rifle sucked, admit it, and the pistol in Halo 1 was godly) one of us would rush into the cafeteria with our grenades and use the assault rifle until we died... which was quick due to the damage done to you on Legendary mode. So, every time one of us did that, and we needed ammo, we'd just hit one or the other in the back which instantly kills you and then you can respawn and do it again, etc., etc until all the convenant was removed from that area. As long as the other player is alive, you don't have to restart from your last checkpoint, which was nice.

ho. ly. fuck.
Figured someone would mention this once I clicked on the thread. I don't recall ever beating that game. Also, has anyone mentioned Superman 64? Or the old Mortal Kombat games? I remember I use to suck at MK Trilogy as a kid when I played it on my N64, so I turned the difficulty to the highest level and would pick the ladder with the most characters to fight against and I'd let them just kick my ass and if I was lucky, they'd do a fatality on me. Since I didn't know or could do a fatality or anything else on a N64 controller with those button combination's, I'd just watch the CPU slaughter me and put a smile on my face to see a fatality or something cool happen as I saw my character go to hell... or er, Netherrealm? Also, anyone remember the Mortal Kombat Mythologies game where you played as Sub-Zero? That game wasn't that difficult, but it was very frustrating.

~ Aether Nexus

My God. That one level on Starfox Adventures where you are on the back of a Pterodactyl thing (IIRC) was such a bitch. Pre-Pubescent me tried that SO many times it's unreal, I am still to complete that game.

One day....

@IggyBot and Lee:

You oughta give N a shot. It's hard, but when you manage to play through a chapter, it does feel damn rewarding. Only for you to be shot down the very next level. Personally, I've finished 21 chapters, until I ran ccleaner, which removed my progress too. Haven't dared to start anew after that.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I don't know why, but I'm really bad at the Gauntlet games. I'm constantly hearing "the red wizard is about to die" or "needs food badly" lol.

Haven't played N, but N+ on my DS is pretty hard. Not the hardest ever (Beat about 42 of 50 chapters) but still a good challenge. I haven't played Super Ghoul's 'N Ghosts much, but can't get past the first level :( Robotron is pretty hard, I can only get to about wave 9 at best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)