Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I was curious about something. I had a lot of fun designing a team for the Kanto Classic and I was wondering if there should be a follow-up soon.

So, I was wondering... Hypothetically, would a "Johto Classic" be only Johto Pokemon or Gens 1 and 2? I imagine held items would be allowed.

If it was only Johto mons, what team would you have?
If it was Gen 1 and 2, what team would you have?

I'm guessing there'll be a lot of Tyranitar either way.
Depends on what you want, really - I would suggest Gen 1 + 2 however; not only because they're very much connected to each other, but because otherwise going Gen 2 only leaves you with very few choices - and many of these choices like Girafarig and Dunsparce are very mediocre; moreso than Gen 1.

Anyone else having issues connecting to the servers via ORAS / pokemon bank / Eshop?

My 3ds connects to the internet with no issues but when trying to connect in-game it just comes up with an error message. Already tried changing DNS multiple times and resetting everything.

Depends on what you want, really - I would suggest Gen 1 + 2 however; not only because they're very much connected to each other, but because otherwise going Gen 2 only leaves you with very few choices - and many of these choices like Girafarig and Dunsparce are very mediocre; moreso than Gen 1.
I suppose you're right. Gen 2 leaves very little in the way of competitive pokemon.

Azumarill, Blissey, Scizor, Tyranitar, Celebi, Feraligatr, Raikou, Suicune, Entei, Skarmory, Houndoom, Quagsire, Espeon, Umbreon, Ampharos, Porygon 2 --- maybe a few others like Quick Feet Ursaring. I wonder who would be the top mon in such a format.

How do you get shiny stationaries in Gen VI? Recent trade threads make it seem reasonably easy, but I don't see a guide for how to get them shiny, just how to get good IVs. (Only interested in doing it for Reshiram/Zekrom, as the rest I can just get in the older games.)

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
How do you get shiny stationaries in Gen VI? Recent trade threads make it seem reasonably easy, but I don't see a guide for how to get them shiny, just how to get good IVs. (Only interested in doing it for Reshiram/Zekrom, as the rest I can just get in the older games.)
Short Awnser: Luck.
Longer Awnser: Save before battling then battle it. Is it Shiny? If no, soft reset and battle again. If yes, OMG SHINY! Having the Shiny charm is likely speed up the process due to making Shinies three times more common.

Also, a few Legendary Pokemon can't be shiny starting in Gen V. Mostly the cover legendaries for the games you're using.

Short Awnser: Luck.
Longer Awnser: Save before battling then battle it. Is it Shiny? If no, soft reset and battle again. If yes, OMG SHINY! Having the Shiny charm is likely speed up the process due to making Shinies three times more common.
Wow, so those are actually valuable then.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Wow, so those are actually valuable then.
Not if you get a Quiet 31/31/22/27/31/7 Riakou like I did. :P (Well he might be good if anyone wants to use it for Trick Room...) But other than that and RNG abuse, yes.

Sorry I forgot to mention RNG abuse earlier, I just don't think about it that much. RNG abuse manipulates the RNG into giving you what you want. You can't RNG abuse in gen 6, (well, you can if you can get timing down to a millionth of a second.) so Shiny Legends with the pentagon are valuable as they sound.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi all,

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I was curious about something. I had a lot of fun designing a team for the Kanto Classic and I was wondering if there should be a follow-up soon.

So, I was wondering... Hypothetically, would a "Johto Classic" be only Johto Pokemon or Gens 1 and 2? I imagine held items would be allowed.

If it was only Johto mons, what team would you have?
If it was Gen 1 and 2, what team would you have?

I'm guessing there'll be a lot of Tyranitar either way.
I suppose you're right. Gen 2 leaves very little in the way of competitive pokemon.

Azumarill, Blissey, Scizor, Tyranitar, Celebi, Feraligatr, Raikou, Suicune, Entei, Skarmory, Houndoom, Quagsire, Espeon, Umbreon, Ampharos, Porygon 2 --- maybe a few others like Quick Feet Ursaring. I wonder who would be the top mon in such a format.
Hey there! You're looking for the Battle Spot forum, it's where we talk about the various Nintendo-run metagames (except VGC, that has its own Forum) that you play on your 3DS such as 3v3 singles, 4v4 doubles, 6v6 triples, 4v4 rotations, and the Online Competitions like the Kanto Classic. If you enjoyed that competition and want to talk about your experience then you can post in our thread: here.

I don't think we should expect a "Johto Classic" or anything soon though. The next Online Competiton is the Flash Clash (1v1 singles). The Kanto Classic coincided with Pokemon's 20th anniversary, and there aren't any plans afaik for a GSC anniversary. The last single-regional-dex competiton was the Battle of Hoenn when ORAS came out, and before that there was a Kalos-only format when XY came out. The Kanto Classic was by far and away the most popular Online Competition ever (over 40,000 people played) so who knows, maybe Nintendo will capitalise on that and indeed make a "Johto Classic" soon enough...

Not if you get a Quiet 31/31/22/27/31/7 Riakou like I did. :P (Well he might be good if anyone wants to use it for Trick Room...) But other than that and RNG abuse, yes.

Sorry I forgot to mention RNG abuse earlier, I just don't think about it that much. RNG abuse manipulates the RNG into giving you what you want. You can't RNG abuse in gen 6, (well, you can if you can get timing down to a millionth of a second.) so Shiny Legends with the pentagon are valuable as they sound.
I'm actually quite the veteran of RNG abuse, and was one of the main ones who did it in Gen III back in the day. To be honest, it was probably the main thing that kept me interested in playing the games. I recently heard about the pentagon thing for VGC though...it's ridiculous! I wonder what their reasoning was.

I don't think I'll be going for competitive 'Mons in Gen VI after all.

How exactly does one change IVs and EVs ingame I still don't understand.
IVs can't be changed; they are generated when you encounter a given Pokémon or pick up the Egg containing it. Aiming for IVs and a given nature is the primary goal of SRing/RNGing. EVs can be gained by defeating any Pokémon outside a Battle Facility (i.e., any time you can get experience points). Every Pokémon has a specific amount it gives to each stat, which you can check on Bulbapedia. If a Pokémon's holding an Exp. Share, it will receive the same EV boosts as the lead Pokémon, so watch out for that or use it to your advantage. (I think Exp. All makes all the party gain the EV boosts after KOing an opponent 'Mon.) You can use the "Power" items (Power Anklet, etc.) to speed this up, but this isn't necessary anymore with Super Training. You can also use vitamins to increase them, which give 10 EVs per use, though if a stat already has 100 or more EVs, you won't be able to use them on that stat. The most effective way to gain EVs in Gen VI (unless you can hack in Wings, which is a viable alternative in Gen V and on) is to use Super Training. This is straightforward and explained in-game. In order to remove EVs, you can either use certain berries (Pomeg for HP for instance) which first decrease an EV to 100 if it was above that, and then by 10 for each subsequent use. You can also remove all a Pokémon's EVs by using a Reset Bag in Super Training.

Basically, Super Training and berries.

Last edited:

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The most effective way to gain EVs in Gen VI (unless you can hack in Wings, which is a viable alternative in Gen V and on) is to use Super Training.
Super training can be convenient for grabbing small numbers of EVs to finish out a spread or hit an unusual number like 12, but for racking up EVs quickly, EV training with hordes is the best bet.

Say you want to max a certain stat's EVs. First, check Nerd's guide here for an appropriate horde location. Equip the Pokemon you want to train with the needed boosting item (Power Anklet, Weight, etc.), which adds 4 EVs in that stat for *each* enemy Pokemon you knock out. Make sure you have a lead Pokemon with a powerful spread attack, and a Pokemon with Sweet Scent. Turn on the Exp Share, and go to the appropriate zone. Use Sweet Scent on terrain where wild Pokemon appear to trigger a horde battle. OHKO the horde with your spread move. Boom, 25 EVs gained. (1 EV + 4 from Power Item per Pokemon) * 5 Pokemon per horde = 25 EVs. Without vitamins, this means that 10 horde battles will get a stat to 250 EVs, requiring just 2 more evs to max the stat, which can be gained with another horde battle, super training level 1, etc. If you boost that stat 10 times with the appropriate vitamin first, just 6 horde battles are needed to get to 250. Better yet, thanks to the Exp Share, you can EV train multiple Pokemon in a stat simultaneously this way, making it an even more efficient training method.

Also, note that unlike in previous generations, in 6th gen Pokemon, EVs cap at 252, not 255. This means it's impossible to waste 3 EVs by over EVing when you max a stat, so you don't need to stress about that.

IVs can't be changed; they are generated when you encounter a given Pokémon or pick up the Egg containing it. Aiming for IVs and a given nature is the primary goal of SRing/RNGing. EVs can be gained by defeating any Pokémon outside a Battle Facility (i.e., any time you can get experience points). Every Pokémon has a specific amount it gives to each stat, which you can check on Bulbapedia. If a Pokémon's holding an Exp. Share, it will receive the same EV boosts as the lead Pokémon, so watch out for that or use it to your advantage. (I think Exp. All makes all the party gain the EV boosts after KOing an opponent 'Mon.) You can use the "Power" items (Power Anklet, etc.) to speed this up, but this isn't necessary anymore with Super Training. You can also use vitamins to increase them, which give 10 EVs per use, though if a stat already has 100 or more EVs, you won't be able to use them on that stat. The most effective way to gain EVs in Gen VI (unless you can hack in Wings, which is a viable alternative in Gen V and on) is to use Super Training. This is straightforward and explained in-game. In order to remove EVs, you can either use certain berries (Pomeg for HP for instance) which first decrease an EV to 100 if it was above that, and then by 10 for each subsequent use. You can also remove all a Pokémon's EVs by using a Reset Bag in Super Training.

Basically, Super Training and berries.
How do check the IVs ingame? Whenever I look at pokemon in any game I can never find them.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
How do check the IVs ingame? Whenever I look at pokemon in any game I can never find them.
There is no way to check in-game because the values are hidden from the player. You need to use an IV checker (found on sites like Serebii) or play around with the PS! damage calculator until the values match. Do note that a Pokemon needs to be a decently high level (50 is good) and you have to know the exact EV distribution for the calculations to be accurate.

While there is an in-game IV "checker" (found that city with the Friend Safari in XY and the Battle Frontier in ORAS), it gives you mostly vague statements. The only concrete values that you are told about are any 0s and 31s.

Blueforce

Ungood
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi guys,
I am new to Smogon but have been using this site for many years because of its accurate information and well written guides. I have many questions related mostly to Pokémon Bank and RNGed pokés that I couldn't find satisfactory answers to with a simple google search. Is this the appropriate thread to ask all of these questions? If not, can somebody please redirect me to the proper thread(s)?

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi guys,
I am new to Smogon but have been using this site for many years because of its accurate information and well written guides. I have many questions related mostly to Pokémon Bank and RNGed pokés that I couldn't find satisfactory answers to with a simple google search. Is this the appropriate thread to ask all of these questions? If not, can somebody please redirect me to the proper thread(s)?
Welcome to Smogon, Blueforce!! Glad you like our guides!

Discussion of the nuances of RNGed Pokemon and Pokemon Bank are probably most appropriate in the Wi-Fi simple answers thread here. Many of us frequent both forums though, and not the end of the world if it ends up being asked in this thread. I very much appreciate your checking for the best place!

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
For those of you who have experience messing with consecutive fishing, I have a few questions.

1. Can you run from hooked Pokemon without breaking your fishing streak, or must you defeat/capture them akin to Poke Radar chaining back in Gen IV?

2. Can you use any fishing rod for consecutive fishing, or must you use the Super Rod?

For those of you who have experience messing with consecutive fishing, I have a few questions.

1. Can you run from hooked Pokemon without breaking your fishing streak, or must you defeat/capture them akin to Poke Radar chaining back in Gen IV?

2. Can you use any fishing rod for consecutive fishing, or must you use the Super Rod?
1. Yes, you can run from the Pokemon

2. You can use any fishing rod, you can even switch the rod at any time too.

Reactions: Xen
I've tried googling but can't find a definitive answer anywhere. Is it possible to unlock more music for battle maison beyond the 4 ones already available in pokemon y? Is yes, how?

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Out of curiosity, does anyone know the delta episode Deoxys shiny locked?

I know no other Pokemon in the ORAS is, but this one has more of an event-like cutscene that happens before it appears. It is also comsidered a myth Pokemon by nintendo so it may have other parameters against it as apposed to the other legends in the game.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Out of curiosity, does anyone know the delta episode Deoxys shiny locked?

I know no other Pokemon in the ORAS is, but this one has more of an event-like cutscene that happens before it appears. It is also comsidered a myth Pokemon by nintendo so it may have other parameters against it as apposed to the other legends in the game.
Deoxys, Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza in ORAS are shiny locked.

Just a quick one, I've been playing Pokémon casually since mid Gen V; before then I was playing competitively on and on, but mainly RNG abusing everything I could.

I'm looking at migrating everything I did on to Gen VI (possibly Alpha Sapphire), but there's still things I've yet to do in previous generations. My question is, is it worth me doing (legendaries)? I was under the impression that you can't use anything that wasn't hatched or caught in Kalos or Hoenn (ORAS) in competitive battling, is this still the case?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)