Mandibuzz

Braviary, its counterpart, gives 2 Attack points. Yeah still doesn't make much sense but its Pokemon, its not supposed to.
Haha, I see. Yeah, their methods are gettin stranger every generation. I'm just cramming all their values for my playthrough.

(Now explain Watchog giving only one Attack point as an evolution, haha.)

I normally just lurk around Smogon and read everything, but I have been playing with Mandibuzz some, and I have found it to be a great partner for Garbodor (poison type).

They cover each others weaknesses pretty well, but more importantly, Garbodor can set up Spikes AND/OR Toxic Spikes while Mandibuzz can shuffle your opponent around.

Mandibuzz can take unboosted hits very well, and can Roost off the damage. Getting Toxic Spikes up is pretty important though as Mandibuzz should be roosting or Whirlwinding.

Too bad it didn't get Magic Guard or Prankster. Priority roost would have been wonderful or not having a weakness to SR. Overcoat is excellent though as it allows it a niche on different types of teams.

Jthreau

formerly DoubleJG
I'm not much of a fan of the physical appearance of this pokemon, but I sure gained some respect for it when my NPC partner showed off its potential in the subway.

Hey folks :)

Yeah I took looked at this Pokemon and went just a new honckrow, but then see stats we're different more bulky a bit it definetly as some potential in UU groups.

I guess I should really stop judging Pokemon by the way they look lol

I normally just lurk around Smogon and read everything, but I have been playing with Mandibuzz some, and I have found it to be a great partner for Garbodor (poison type).

They cover each others weaknesses pretty well, but more importantly, Garbodor can set up Spikes AND/OR Toxic Spikes while Mandibuzz can shuffle your opponent around.

Mandibuzz can take unboosted hits very well, and can Roost off the damage. Getting Toxic Spikes up is pretty important though as Mandibuzz should be roosting or Whirlwinding.

Too bad it didn't get Magic Guard or Prankster. Priority roost would have been wonderful or not having a weakness to SR. Overcoat is excellent though as it allows it a niche on different types of teams.
Combine that with an Unaware Quagsire and you have a pretty strong defense. Quagsire can help with shit that likes to set up on Mandibuzz, and it resists Rock + Electric.

I have a set for Mandibuzz that I personally think is usefull. It makes use of bone rush which can hit steel types for super effective damage while dark pulse and
air slash cannot.
Name@ Nasty Bird
Ability@ Weak Armor
Item@ Life Orb
Nature@ Lonely
Moves@ Nasty Plot / Dark Pulse / Air Slash / Bone Rush
EVs@ 252 atk / 252 spa / 4 spd

I have a set for Mandibuzz that I personally think is usefull. It makes use of bone rush which can hit steel types for super effective damage while dark pulse and
air slash cannot.
Name@ Nasty Bird
Ability@ Weak Armor
Item@ Life Orb
Nature@ Lonely
Moves@ Nasty Plot / Dark Pulse / Air Slash / Bone Rush
EVs@ 252 atk / 252 spa / 4 spd
Wouldn't HP Ground or Fighting be the better option so that it benefits from the NP boost as well? Bone Rush hits 2-3 times on average, and you're lucky if it hits 4-5 times.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
I "discovered" mandibuzz recently, and wow.

It's interesting to note just how defensive 'buzz is. Statistically, she's one of the best in the game before taking typing into account.

The top five pokes by combined defensive stats:

Giratina (150 / 120 / 120)
Cresselia (120 / 120 / 130)
Arceus (120 / 120 / 120)
Regigigas (110 / 110 / 110) Bleh...
Mandibuzz (110 / 105 / 95)

Regigigas isn't a defensive pokemon so he can fuck off. Giratina and Arceus are uber.

Mandibuzz has the second highest defenses in OU, a reliable recovery move that removes all three of her weaknesses, immunity to weather damage, great speed for a wall (taunting other support pokes and stall teams) plus whirlwind, tailwind, knock off and u-turn.

Why isn't she used more often? Lack of recognition? Sure, she's not gliscor/skarm and she has a stealth rock weakness, but she makes up for it with sheer bulk.

If she had spikes EVERYONE would be using her.

Aw poor Gigas. :P

I think "if she had Spikes" is part of the reason. She's also really weak as far as attacking goes, but with Whirlwind and Taunt she can't be too easy to set up on. I'm really not sure either.

I think it is the sad weaknesses of Rock, Ice, and Electric that really do Mandibuzz in. Those stats ARE impressive, but the weakness to 3 common attacking types (and only resisting 5 types) really does it in when compared to the likes of Skarmory. But I don't want to bring that argument up again because this thread I believe touches on it often...

And again, the lack of offensive power is also a major disadvantage.

Toxic, Taunt, Knock off, and Whirlwind really is some of its most prominent attacks though. And Roost for reliable recovery, although that doesn't give it anything over the likes of Skarmory.

I just noticed Snarl. That could make a bold 252 hp, 252 def work with a great way to reduce special attack damage.

When a wall needs to have a few Pokemon built around it to support it.. it's not really a frontrunner. It's a shame those defensive stats are going to waste.. and just because you can only sit there and take a lot of hits.. doesn't mean you're contributing to your team effectively. Maybe when things settle there will be a quality use for this ugly beast.

breh

強いだね
When a wall needs to have a few Pokemon built around it to support it.. it's not really a frontrunner. It's a shame those defensive stats are going to waste.. and just because you can only sit there and take a lot of hits.. doesn't mean you're contributing to your team effectively. Maybe when things settle there will be a quality use for this ugly beast.
yeah probably not

anyway, why isn't this thread in the UU subforum?

@JT Swift

Mandibuzz does not have the 5th highest defences in the game. I'm not sure what this "combined defences" bullshit is, but quite a few pokemon have better defences. For example, Registeel. The reason people don't use Mandibuzz is that its attack sucks. The only move that it has that's any good to do damage is Brave Bird, and even then, you're looking at an inferior Skarmory.

Overall defenses don't really mean shit without the resistances to abuse them or a proper crippling move like Will-O-Wisp. Mandibuzz also suffers because its resistances/neutralities are often paired with its weaknesses. For example, it is immune to Ground, but Ground is often paired with Rock. Grass is often paired with Ice. It is good for coming in on stuff like Gengar, Espeon, etc, but other than that its usefulness pales in comparison to the likes of Gliscor and Skarmory, who provide similar characteristics (Gliscor can run a SubStall set, Skarmory has Whirlwind + Taunt + Roost).

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
@JT Swift

Mandibuzz does not have the 5th highest defences in the game. I'm not sure what this "combined defences" bullshit is, but quite a few pokemon have better defences. For example, Registeel.
"Combined defenses" means that all three defense stats (HP def and spdef) are really high. Giratina for example, might not have higher defense stats than uxie (120 /120 and 130 / 130) but it's base 150 HP is much higher than Uxie's base 75, which makes giratina much bulkier. Snorlax has base 150 / 65 / 110 defenses, which are great specially, but leave a gaping hole on the physical side. Shuckle has 20 / 230 / 230 defenses, but powerful hits still do loads of damage because it's HP is so pathetically low.

Do you see what I'm getting at? I'm not saying that cresselia is the best wall in the game and better than gliscor and ferrothorn, but high defenses overall are simply better than skewed stats on a mixed wall. Some pokemon get away with low HP and still manage to excel (again, gliscor and ferrothorn) but stuff like dusknoir and mantine are held back by it.

This is all just trivia though. I'm not calling ferro a bad wall, so don't shoot me. This is starting to wander off topic, so I'll continue in the interesting trivia thread. *runs away*

It's combined defenses are good, it has a reliable recovery move, a phazing move, and Overcoat is pretty good for those Sand and Hail teams. If only Overcoat negated SR damage...

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Overall defenses don't really mean shit without the resistances to abuse them or a proper crippling move like Will-O-Wisp. Mandibuzz also suffers because its resistances/neutralities are often paired with its weaknesses. For example, it is immune to Ground, but Ground is often paired with Rock. Grass is often paired with Ice. It is good for coming in on stuff like Gengar, Espeon, etc, but other than that its usefulness pales in comparison to the likes of Gliscor and Skarmory, who provide similar characteristics (Gliscor can run a SubStall set, Skarmory has Whirlwind + Taunt + Roost).
Grass & Ice? What? Ludicolo? Cause that's all that's gonna be carrying any Ice attack. Unless you really think Sleep Powder/Stun Spore isn't enough for Dragonite. Garchomp can't sub on Grass STAB. Even strong things with HP Ice aren't breaking Mandi's defenses too well.

Just a little side-note, Mandi can switch-in & abuse Mirror Move to set-up it's own SR & Spikes and even abuse other support moves. It's very niche, but it can help if you really need it.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
This pokemon has literally everything going for it except for its typing. Dark/Flying only has two resistances and two immunities. I would hardly call resisting Dark and Ghost amazing resistances since those attacks never reach more than 80 base power anyways. Same with Psychic. Being immune to Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Sandstorm, Hail, and Earthquake is an impressive feat, but tell me exactly how many defensive SR-weak Flying-types there are in Gen V OU? Unless you count Dragonite, Salamence, or Gyarados, that number is ZERO.

if it had better typing....
fightin, electric, steel, hell, even psychic,
it would be so much better.

okay, maybe not psychic.

This pokemon has literally everything going for it except for its typing. Dark/Flying only has two resistances and two immunities. I would hardly call resisting Dark and Ghost amazing resistances since those attacks never reach more than 80 base power anyways. Same with Psychic. Being immune to Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Sandstorm, Hail, and Earthquake is an impressive feat, but tell me exactly how many defensive SR-weak Flying-types there are in Gen V OU? Unless you count Dragonite, Salamence, or Gyarados, that number is ZERO.
Three resistances, don't forget Grass. Which is a far more useful resistance than Dark and Ghost, but still not much.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Actually despite near no offense i have been using the specially defensive set to great success. It has a completly different set of weaknesses after roost is used so you can stall out some slower pokemon like gastrodon who try to ice beam you.

Has anyone tried subroost with this guy?

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I'd use Roost/Taunt/Brave Bird/Toxic.

Roost is obviously mandatory.
It's too weak to forgo Taunt since it'll be set up fodder for every fucking thing.
Brave Bird is neccessary imo because without an attack, it can't hurt Gengar, which is pretty much the most important thing in OU that it walls.
Whirlwind is nice and all, but without Toxic, Rotom-W will switch in unscathed which is always a bad thing.

SubRoost really only works on things with powerful STABs, like Zapdos, Aerodactyl, Moltres. Even then, SubRoost is pretty much dead in Gen V.

EDIT: Brave Bird might be replacable by Knock Off. That's pretty much the only substitution I would make. Especially if it's strong enough to break Gengar's substitute.

This thing is Seriously underrated. This pokemon can survive anything that get's thrown at it, basically. It even survived SD Excadrill Rockslide and was able to kill it.! (Bone rush, killer of Excadrills and Heatrans >:) )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)