Mandibuzz

The set I use is really similar to that.

I use

Barujina@ leftovers
Dustproof
Impish
172HP/252 Def/ 84 SpD
-Mean Look
-Roost
-Toxic
-Fly

This set plays just as your set. Fly is to stall for leftovers recovery and toxic damage, while dealing a decent amount to attackers. Its defenses are AMAZING. It's able to stall out against tough attackers like Tyrannitar, Mamoswine, Lucario, ect. It would be overpowered if it got perish song. :P
lollucariolol

Why fly, on a stalling set air drop(is that its name) is so much better....

I like to point out that Barujiina is bulkier than Skarmory, and is the physically bulkiest flying type their is, with the exception of pokemon with intimidate, and Lugia. Another mention is that it can actually take on Gengar and Starmie, especially ones that lack Thunderbolt, unlike Tyrannitar and Skarmory who fall to Focus Blast, and Hydro Pump. Payback OHKOes Gengar after Stealth Rock, and does massive damage to Starmie.

I kinda feel while Barujiina is bulky...it fills a different niche than other bulky fliers. Togekiss, Skarmory and Gyarados I really believe have edge in usefullness just when it comes to options and the roles they can fill. What Skarmory lacks in special bulk it makes up for in resistances.Barujiina has useful bulk...but what can it do...poison people and knock off items? Maybe even subroost somebody to death? Thats cute but I think surprise is its most useful and only weapon.

This Pokemon is awesome purely because it has "jina" in its name and it looks like some badass vulture.

Regardless of it not having resistances it would very much like as a wall/staller in comparison to say, Skarmory, it still is pretty bulky and will definitely utilize it in a team (though OU for this thing is not very likely imo). It could be a pain in the ass in lower tiers though.

I kinda feel while Barujiina is bulky...it fills a different niche than other bulky fliers. Togekiss, Skarmory and Gyarados I really believe have edge in usefullness just when it comes to options and the roles they can fill. What Skarmory lacks in special bulk it makes up for in resistances.Barujiina has useful bulk...but what can it do...poison people and knock off items? Maybe even subroost somebody to death? Thats cute but I think surprise is its most useful and only weapon.
Barujina has Whirlwind, U-Turn, Roost, Brave Bird for STAB, and a typing which let her wall effortlessly those special attackers which rely too much on Ghost/Fighting or Psychic/Fighting coverage (if you don't think she can take a Focus Blast from Gengar with plenty to spare, run calcs by yourself). While I believe Barujina is a bit too much of a niche Pokémon to work in OU stall teams (it can't replace Chansey/Blissey alone, and often stall teams cannot afford 2 team slots only for the fat blob and the black vulture), it is a very potent force in the lower tiers (for those who play on PO servers, and in the future for those who don't). Still, if you need a hard counter to stuff like Gengar or Alakazam with some utility, you have to look no further than to Barujina.

It is barely more physically bulky than skarmory but it gives up a lot of resistances and isn't toxic immune which really hurts it. As a special wall, its electric + ice weaknesses aren't too great and requires something else that can take them while blissey obviously already does special walling like a champ by itself.

Its niche is probably mixed walling as mixed sweepers now either carry stab psycho shock or some fighting attack for blissey which barujiina should be able to handle. The only problem is actually trying to fit it into an OU team.

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree. She's not bad by any means, but I feel like she's competing for the same teamslot with Skarmory, and he always wins due to the overall superior typing and the ability to set up hazards. Her extra special bulk can come in handy, but it's just not enough for me.

What makes it more bulky than scarm? its weak to stealth rock, has worse defensive typing and a much lower defense stat.

^Well, they mean statistically more bulky. She obviously has a lot more special bulk, and I assume they've done the calculations that show that her high HP allows her to be slightly more bulky than Skarmory despite the lower defense stat.

When it comes to typing, though, Skarmory definitely wins.

Barujina has Whirlwind, U-Turn, Roost, Brave Bird for STAB, and a typing which let her wall effortlessly those special attackers which rely too much on Ghost/Fighting or Psychic/Fighting coverage (if you don't think she can take a Focus Blast from Gengar with plenty to spare, run calcs by yourself). While I believe Barujina is a bit too much of a niche Pokémon to work in OU stall teams (it can't replace Chansey/Blissey alone, and often stall teams cannot afford 2 team slots only for the fat blob and the black vulture), it is a very potent force in the lower tiers (for those who play on PO servers, and in the future for those who don't). Still, if you need a hard counter to stuff like Gengar or Alakazam with some utility, you have to look no further than to Barujina.
Skarmory can do everything listed with the exception of U-turn and has hazards and a decent attack stat (mediocre but better then 60)...the thing is from a practical stand point Barujina isn't that amazing. No Gengar are Alakazam will switch into Barujina...meaning either Barujina must switch in on an attack (possibly taking damage from Stealth Rock or just eating an attack) or Gengar/ Ala are phazed in...in both cases they'll probably just switch out. Barujina doesn't have pursuit sooo...its more of a check than a threat to Gengar/ Ala or any Ghost/Psychic - but in Barujina's defense it does have Payback should said Gengar/ Ala does stay in...but IMO Barujina doesnt have next to anything on Skarmory all things considered

Guys, if you compare Barujina to Skarmory you're using the vulture the wrong way. Barujina isn't meant to wall physical threats, despite the higher Def. Her main role is as a Special wall, and if anything, she should be compared to Blissey rather than to Skarmory. While Blissey boasts higher SpD and matches better with bulky waters (save Crocune and few others) due to her neutrality to Electric and Ice moves, Barujina has an easier time with Ghost and Psychic-typed mons which may trouble Blissey. Whereas Blissey has Wish, Barujina can phaze. All in all, Blissey is more useful overall, but, especially if you have Nattorei to take on the likes of Starmie, you should seriously take the vulture into consideration, especially because, in a Sandstorm, Barujina does not take Sandstorm damage (courtesy of her ability Overcoat)

Shes more like
Skarmory without spikes and some goodies but bulkier and have some unique support.
To me this thing is definitely OU material.
With toxic instead of spikes and typing to handle some various things, i dont see skarm completely owns her.

Mean Look and the other Dark moves are cute, but she usually just ends up Whirlwinding and poisoning crap, and in that case I end up wondering why I didn't use Skarmory who has a mostly superior typing and can actually do something more - set up hazards.

She's nice if you want a pseudo-SkarmBliss that only takes up one team slot, I'll give you that. She certainly pulls her weight, so it's not like I found her ineffective. I simply prefer other Pokemon.

Guys, please really, stop, STOP considering Barujina a physical wall. He doesn't have the typing for that, and he's sorely outclassed by Skarmory and other stuff too.

Don't let the stats fool you, Barujina is mostly effective as a special wall by virtue of her type, and it has definite bonuses over Blissey.

Why no one understands this?

I'm not using her as a physical wall. I just explained that she typically ends up Whirlwinding and poisoning stuff, so she's like a Skarmory with more special bulk, which I don't really need as I prefer the superior typing and entry hazards.

I'm not using her as a physical wall. I just explained that she typically ends up Whirlwinding and poisoning stuff, so she's like a Skarmory with more special bulk, which I don't really need as I prefer the superior typing and entry hazards.
That's like saying "SpD Whirlwind Snorlax typically ends up Whirlwinding and poisoning stuff, so he's like a Skarmory with more special bulk". The fact that both the birds learn Whirlwind does not make themselves comparable. Or will we compare ANYTHING with Whirlwind/Roar/Dragon Tail to Skarmory? Phazers are wildly different from each other, and if anything, Barujina should be compared to specially defensive phazers like Heatran rather than physically defensive ones like Skarmory (or Gyarados, for that matter).

Also, Skarmory does have the "superior typing" (neutrality to Fire moves is everything the vulture has over him type-wise), but as far as stats go, Skarmory can't take on things like Gengar as well as Barujina. Hell, the latter can even take unSTABbed Thunderbolts from time to time and roost them off. Skarmory, even when he's fully EVed in SpD, doesn't even come close.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Y'know, I was just thinking, if Mandibuzz is so bulky, why not just try her as a ridiculously bulky Nasty Plotter? I recognize that she only has 55 base SpA, but even so, she can still get a lot of boosts, and Roost off the damage pretty easily.

I'm not really sure what the EV spread would be, but it seems like she would would as a mono-attacker pretty well. She has Air Slash and Dark Pulse which she can pick from as STAB moves. She'd need Overcoat though. Don't try using her as an offensive sweeper with Breakable Armour, because then you just have a crappy Special Attacker with low defense that's still outsped by a whole crapload of stuff.

I was thinking something like:

Mandibuzz @Elemental Plate / Leftovers
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 SpD
Overcoat
Nature: Modest

- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Dark Pulse / Air Slash

Substitute is mainly there so that she can avoid Toxic and be able to beat Seismic Toss Blissey. 172 HP gives 404 HP so that her Seismic Tosses won't break your Subs in one hit, and the Elemental Plate gives Dark Pulse just enough strength to 2HKO Blissey at +6, reaching 1096 SpA factoring in the plate. (You can essentially say that Mandibuzz has 274 SpA at +0 with the Plate on since she's a mono-attacker). It deals a max of 50%, and Blissey can't keep spamming Softboiled, because eventually Dark Pulse is going to flinch her, and she'll die. Unfortunately, her Ice Beams will break the Sub, but her Flamethrowers definitely won't, and it seems like Flamethrower's more common than Ice Beam on Blissey. It's always funny to see a special attacker with base 55 SpA beating Blissey one-on-one. Her Subs are pretty damn hard to break with other attacks too. Overcoat and Roost will more than compensate for the lack of Leftovers recover should you choose not to use them. 84 SpD would allow for equal defenses (or as equal as you're going to get). This set is of course more potent when there's Toxic Spikes on the field, so it can act as the regular SubRoost set, but with actual offense as well.

I imagine that this set does have some problems, but it's definitely a way for Mandibuzz to use both her bulkiness and Nasty Plot in one.

indeed. although the real problem is that the metagame so far got more physical atackers then special ones. those that are special are walled to death by evo stone chansey(or bliss) while physical ones are walled by skarm and gliscor.

this bird is not bad by any means, it just got a lot of competition and nothing that sets it apart from other special walls.

I'm not saying she's completely inferior. I'm just saying that my personal preference for a bulky, phazing Flying-type would have to be Skarmory. Her special defense can be useful, but I don't particularly care for it since I have other ways of dealing with Special Attackers, and since her Special Defense is really what sets her apart from Skarmory...

She is one of my favorite pokemon, and with the move set I like to run she is very hard to break.
Toxic, Brave Bird, Roost, and Protect. With max Hp and a nature that favors her Special Defense, she is beast. But as you can see Steel pokemon are impervious to this set. So if you do use this set have something that will help with that...

breh

強いだね
see the problem with Mandibuzz is that it has stat issues...

Its attacks are too damn low. Why couldn't they have given it and Braviary just a few more stat points?

This is why Skarmory is better. It has a slightly more passable attack stat.

Plus it's not toxic or SR weak. Barujina really wishes it had magic guard instead of overcoat eh?

But Mandibuzz is hail- AND sand- proof, has superior Sp. Def, different weaknesses and a few gimmick Dark-type moves Skarmory lacks, access to Knock Off plus vastly superior HP. 110/65/105/55/95/80 against 65/80/140/40/70/70. Skarmory has Spikes and the ability to inflict SOME damage on the opposition without boosts, but less specially defensive capability, less HP and Spikes. Both have their strong points: Skarm isn't the one and only option.

110 !!!!!/105 !!!!!!/95 !!!!!
Dammit thats more bulky than those legendary pixie. Why didnt she got that LOVELY Will-o-Wisp for god sake ???????
I hear she cant use roost, Taunt, and Sub(everyone can) too. Man this thing is made from pure awesomeness source i swear

176 SpD/ 80 Def/252 HP
Sub
Taunt
Roost
Whirlwind

A tribute to Subsitute Roar Heatran.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)