Meloetta

I've been using both Voice and Step Moes, and I have to say that they both ROCK. Here are my sets.

VoiceMoe@Choice Scarf
Nature: Modest(+SpAtk/-Atk)
EVs: 252 SpAtk/252Speed/4 HP
~ Psychic
~ Thunderbolt
~ Grass Knot
~ Shadow Ball

With Choice Scarf you can bypass that nasty lack of speed. I usually don't mind being locked, because anything I hit takes big chunks of HP.

Do note I also run the same set on another team, but with leftovers instead. But then it's timid instead of modest.

StepMoe@Life Orb
Nature:Adamant(+atk/-spatk)
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Speed/4 Hp
~Ancient Song
~Close Combat
~Stone Edge
~Shadow Claw
Fighting/Rock/Ghost provides great coverage. Ancient song for obvious reasons. Never have I wished I put return on there.

If a Pokemon uses Encore right after you use Ancient Song, you will be stuck switching between formes for three turns giving ghosts a free switch-in on this normal-type attack.

yay 555 posts

This is one of the most interesting new pokemon I've seen, and I love pokemon with alternative forms. It's a shame she doesn't get Zen headbutt, but hey, close combat is lovely.

Anyone thinking about mixed sets? 77 Atk/sp. Atk on normal and step respectively isn't TERRIBLE, and could run close combat/ brick break or thunderbolt to counter Skarmbliss.

EDIT: fixed some typos (damn autocorrecting iPod)

@Flareon ugh I hate auto correct it sucks hard!

It's to bad You have to use ancient song to transform...Poor kyremu has a worse movepool then a little girl dressed like "the gaga"

Like a few others, I've also been thinking about a set that utilizes both Meloetta's forms. Here's what I believe such a set would look like.

Meloetta @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Hasty/Naive nature (+Spe, -Atk)
EVs: 24 Atk / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
-Cheer Up
-Ancient Voice
-Close Combat
-Psychic/Thunderbolt

As opposed to being there solely for Step Forme, Ancient Voice can be reused or even forgone when Voice Forme would be more advantageous. Bulky Psychic-types, such as Rankurusu, would be easier to deal with in Voice Forme, while Dark-types are manhandled by Step Forme. As such, Leftovers and Life Orb both have their merits: lefties gives her more staying power (more chances to change with Ancient Voice), while Life Orb provides more power.

Ancient Voice and Cheer Up are the bread and butter of this set, and are the first moves you will be using. This is where the ability to see your opponent's team comes in handy; you need to predict what will come in, as changing to Step Forme on an incoming Tyranitar may give you a free boost!

24 Atk EVs lets Voice Forme can OHKO CBTar with a +1 Close Combat, while Step Forme can outrun base 125s +Spe nature. The rest goes into SpAtk to power up Psychic and Ancient Voice. This is a very general spread and uses Leftovers; a different spread might be ideal for Life Orb.

This definitely needs testing and is hard-countered by Spiritomb, but I think it has some potential.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Tomb hard counters a number of things in the current meta, but on the flipside, it's epic setup bait, so if that's your only problem, you're good to go.

...and being a huge fan of Meloetta, I am compelled to try this awesome-looking set as soon as possible. :)

Sleep Clause shouldn't affect Ancient Song period. I just don't see a reason it should. 20% chance of putting something to sleep coming form a very bad damaging attack is hardly gamebreaking. Without sleep clause affecting it, Meloetta has a chance to change form without essentially wasting a turn if an opposing pokemon is already sleeping.
Well, in the case of ancient song, sleep clause would work like freeze clause. The attack would still work, but the clause would prevent the secondary effect from working.

Ill say more about this poke later. The iTouch I'm using right now makes it so hard to type... -__-

Using this gal...it's situational. There was 1 battle i managed to change form and it really kicked ass. It was against a Cheer up Espeon (erm...no calm mind???) and I Voiced into the Step Forme, shadow clawed it and then nearly OHKO another pokemon (I can't seem to remember, swampert?) with life orb and I was amazed at how much it did.

I'm running this set btw:

Ancient singing fighting melody:

Moveset:

- Shadow Claw
- Ancient Song
- Close Combat
- Psychic

Evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
Nature: Hasty
Item: Leftovers

I didn't go Jolly because that would mean Ancient voice won't do as much, I initially had U-turn but replaced it with Psychic because I knew that if my Espeon (another member of one of my teams) went down then i'd need a back up psychic which is one of its roles.
Its 2nd role is to fill in for the backup fighter of my team (because I carry Roo in it) so that I don't have to get walled by Chansey and Porygon2.

TBH, it's more of a filler pokémon in my team but with good prediction you can safely change forme and cause some serious damage and due to it's high speed, it can throw a lot of Pokémon off such as (Weakened) Shaymin-S, Darkrai and special walls who will try and have a hand at countering it thinking they would be the usual calm minder set.

I've been using both Voice and Step Moes, and I have to say that they both ROCK. Here are my sets.

VoiceMoe@Choice Scarf
Nature: Modest(+SpAtk/-Atk)
EVs: 252 SpAtk/252Speed/4 HP
~ Psychic
~ Thunderbolt
~ Grass Knot
~ Shadow Ball

With Choice Scarf you can bypass that nasty lack of speed. I usually don't mind being locked, because anything I hit takes big chunks of HP.

Do note I also run the same set on another team, but with leftovers instead. But then it's timid instead of modest.

StepMoe@Life Orb
Nature:Adamant(+atk/-spatk)
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Speed/4 Hp
~Ancient Song
~Close Combat
~Stone Edge
~Shadow Claw
Fighting/Rock/Ghost provides great coverage. Ancient song for obvious reasons. Never have I wished I put return on there.
How come your Voice Form Meloetta doesn't have a Normal move for secondary STAB? Like, I dunno, Hyper Voice or Echo Voice or something?

Sub CM voice form is the best bet. Massive subs, insane bulk, still good power even without investment. Just run max/max bold with sub, calm mind, psychic, and your choice of terrible coverage. Serene grace is just icing, as it makes psychic better for getting through blissey and coverage options like thunderbolt slightly more threatening.

Viable in Ubers? In Step Form she's one of the few things that can revenge kill Extremekiller Arceus with a Life Orb. Definitely one to consider methinks...

The problem is getting to Step Form. You get in. Arceus XSpeeds, you Ancient Song. Arceus XSpeeds...THEN you retaliate.
I don't like those odds.

name: Step into the Mix
move 1: Ancient Voice
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Close Combat
move 4: U-Turn
item: Life Orb
ability: Serene Grace
nature: Hasty
evs: 128 Atk / 128 SpA / 252 Spe

Title says it all. A mixed attacker that can change between forms. Could someone try it out for me?

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Really disappointed about the Ancient Song condition for the Step forme. Totally takes away the advantages it had over other speedy fighters like Kojondo and Terakion in that it would be a much superior (and deadly) revenge killer. It is a waste of a moveslot and a turn, hampering its coverage or to do other neat stuff other fighters lack- Teeter Dance, Thunder Wave, Substitute, Claw Sharpen + Sing, or even STAB Quick Attack. Such a shame, I was really looking forward to using Meloetta-Step, as it is a very unique fighting mon ;_;

Changing formes DURING a battle is a novel concept and interesting I admit, but it hurts competitively. No doubt how much we try I doubt a mix-Meloetta going between different forms would work at all.

As far as the Voice forme, it has a great spread and awesome movepool, but it's not nearly as interesting or distinguishing as the Step forme. Magic Guard Alakazam / Rankurusu, Latios, Mew, and Azelf are all equally competent Psychic sweepers that Meloetta would have to compete for a spot. The access to Close Combat is very novel for a Psychic type, though; if it holds an Expert Belt it can OHKO Ttar and 2HKO Blissey with little Atk investments, which is notable, avoiding the use of a 70% accurate Focus Blast to save her life or Psycho Shock, which I think is worse than Psychic if you could bypass Blissey. Still may not be the best idea for a committed special sweeper, though.

I feel you on the firm changes. All GF would have to do is make her form changes stay after battle. Then you could (in theory) unlearn Ancient Crap and keep Step Forme. So much potential...

But that's neither here nor there, though I hope it will be "there" in Gray. Hell, Rotom gets to pick and choose his forms, as do Skymin and Giratina. Stupid Game Freak novelty ploy.

Honestly, I highly doubt Meloetta would get an alternate method of changing forms seeing as how they created Ancient Song specifically for that purpose.

I wish Ancient Song was more powerful. I also think it would have been cool if Ancient Song, a special move, became Ancient Dance, a physical move, once it changed into Step Forme.

Oh well, no use crying over spilled milk.

The idea of using U-Turn in Step Form is a nice one. Lets her switch back to Voice without having to use Ancient Voice in Step Form.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)