Meloetta

Idiot question, though i did check Smogon's Relic Song page first:

When Meloetta uses Relic Song, does she change to Pirouette form permanently? Or is it a matter of needing to re-use Relic Song every time she switches in?

I wish the first post was updated to clairfy the constant questions about this, but instead I will just link Bulbapedia
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Meloetta_(Pok%C3%A9mon)
I think Meloetta has great defensive and offensive potential, along with the added boon of being unpredictable due to it's versatality.

As a defensive pokemon, it has the ability to switch it's type to resist switch-ins. Aria forme is weak to dark and bug attacks, whereas Pirouette forme is resistant to dark and bug attacks. While this wastes a turn and requires a certian amount of prediction to use effectively, Gamefreak has blessed it with a secondary effect of 10% chance of sleep, which is doubled by Serene Grace. Meloetta's speed isn't anything special, but with a supplementing nature and EV spread it could hopefully shift formes before the attack, soak it up with the resistance, and proceed to wallop with it's more physical Pirouette forme. On top of that, you might even set the opponent to sleep and give yourself an opportunity to boost or slaughter the unfortunate snoozer. I think Meloetta has the best potential as a defensive-oriented pokemon, though Aria formes nothing-special speed stat is unfortunate and leaves a lot to be desired.

On the offensive, Aria is actually kind of nice to start in. Pirouette has a weakness to pyschic which is very common in Ubers (Though I doubt it'll join Ubers considering the hightened standards) but on top of that switching to Pirouette has a 20% chance to put the opponent to sleep, leaving an opportunity to boost the hell out of Hone Claws with the new Gens sleep mechanics, which following up on that can turn Piroutte into a mighty sweeper despite it's somewhat lackluster movepool and by extension coverage. Stone Edge loves that accuracy boost, and it can eat up any Flying-types to counter your STAB Close-Combat.

The biggest problem I see when trying to use Meloetta-P is that Ghost-types can stop Ancient Song from working, and bulky ones like Jellicent, Dusclops, and Spiritomb won't take much from Psychic. This means that you have to get rid of them just to be able to use a turn to transform.

Also, that link in your post doesn't go anywhere.

Yeah, that must have been the right link. Looking back at the other one, it seems all it lacked was a ).
No matter how many times I edit and re-paste that link it continues to be broken. Sorry.

Psyshock calculates the users special-attack stat and the targets defence (rather than special defence) stat to do deal damage, and that could be used to breach special-defence walls. But yes, ghost-types do present a problem for Meloetta's Relic Song, that's not to say they can't be countered however.

So it turns out that this thing will be released in June along with Keldeo for the 15th movie! Opinions on this? Speculation on metagame impact? Experiences?

I don't think Meloetta will affect OU too much unless someone can figure out an effective way to use that no one's thought of yet. If it drops to UU, it will definitely shake it up.

Meloetta-A has one niche of being one of, if not the best gengar counter in the game. Having 100HP/128spD to absorb those neutral focus blasts as well as being immune to ghost attacks. A simple tank set involving thunder wave and protect may be interesting to try. It is just ashame it has no recovery outside of rest.

Having such great special attack and special defense, I see a sub calm mind set being one of its more effective sets if one chooses not to transform with relic song.

Yeah I think the versatality between its subcm and its mixed relic song set will keep it low ou. I could see with really epic prediction thay relic song set destroying whatever swiyches in

Does nobody realize that with serene grace charge bolt always boosts her special attack. Slap on a wide lens and you have a move that always hits and always boosts. Also hy ignore teeter dance? I play dream world quite a bit and teeter dance is so good against magic bounce Pokemon.

Meloetta already has Calm Mind to boost its SpAtk, so it doesn't really need Charge Beam. Also, Meloetta has to get up to +2 SpAtk before Charge Beam does more damage than Thunderbolt.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Meloetta might not be OU when its released because it has too much competition from Alakazam and Azelf. It's a pretty decent pokemon though from dw experience

A minor issue, to be sure, but it occurs to me that Meloetta is going to have trouble fitting into a team with sleep-inducing pokemon (Scarf Breloom, etc.), as using her song is basically a 20% chance of breaking sleep clause...

Most people here play on simulators, which would make it so Relic Song simply can't put a second Pokemon to sleep. As far as Wi-Fi goes, no one can seem to agree on what breaks Sleep Clause, anyway.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm not sure if Meloetta has a specific niche, but it's definitely going to be at least UU with those stats and its good movepool and interesting typing. I could see some Sub CM sets and Thunder Wave support sets becoming quite popular down there. The forme-changing sets could also be interesting, but you would need something to deal with Ghost types first (like Houndoom, in UU)

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Something I tried in Dream World:

I've been using this set:

Meloetta @ Expert Belt
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Nature: Hasty
- Relic Song
- Close Combat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice

Basically, the idea of the set is to set up multiple layers of hazards, and then spam Relic Song to force switches. Counters to Meloetta-A tend to be weak to Meloetta-P (Blissey, Snorlax, Tyranitar), while counters to Meloetta-P tend to be weak to Meloetta-A (Skarmory, Gliscor). The idea is to spam Relic Song and keep changing forms and stay one step ahead of the opposition. With these games going on, you can probably HP Ice a Gliscor or something like that and secure a sweep for Excadrill and stuff. With Fighting resists removed, Meloetta-P can handily clean up teams by itself as well.

EDIT: Oh yea, the EVs used let you outspeed Adamant Lucario as Meloetta-A and Alakazam as Meloetta-P.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
A minor issue, to be sure, but it occurs to me that Meloetta is going to have trouble fitting into a team with sleep-inducing pokemon (Scarf Breloom, etc.), as using her song is basically a 20% chance of breaking sleep clause...
Relic Song should not be effected by Sleep Clause. It's the equivalent of Ice Beam and the entire reason Freeze Clause was removed. If you Freeze a Pokemon, should you not be allowed to use Ice Beam or Blizzard until that Pokemon unfreezes? No. If you put a Pokemon to Sleep and you need Relic Song to change to Meloetta-P again, should you just be SOS if your opponent decides to switch-out & keep that Pokemon asleep? Hell no. The same thing goes for Effect Spore. You're not explicitly trying to put a Pokemon to Sleep, it just happens. You have no control over it. It's not like Jirachi with Iron Head's 60% chance to flinch. After Serene Grace, it's only a 20% to cause Sleep and it you're actually relying on that 20%, you're a complete fool. There's also the fact that there are plenty of Pokemon entirely immune to the move, but that's not a big factor at all in this.

The Sleep Clause should only effect or limit moves and abilities that have Sleep as their only effect.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yea, I mirror exactly with Katakiri's view of Sleep Clause. Only deliberate attempts at putting mons to sleep, by using moves with the primary purpose of putting something to sleep, should be restricted by Sleep Clause. Sleep induced by Effect Spore, Relic Song, or Metronome selecting Spore should NOT apply to Sleep Clause.

Exactly. The sleep clause should only be for moves like Hypnosis, Spore, and Sleep Powder, where their only effect is sleep. Relic Song only has a 10% chance of sleep, so if it happens, it's by total accident, but the added sleep is always loved.

I think Meloetta will be UU at best as it faces a lot of competitions from another Psychic or Fighting pokes.

Yea, I mirror exactly with Katakiri's view of Sleep Clause. Only deliberate attempts at putting mons to sleep, by using moves with the primary purpose of putting something to sleep, should be restricted by Sleep Clause. Sleep induced by Effect Spore, Relic Song, or Metronome selecting Spore should NOT apply to Sleep Clause.
And Magic Mirror/Magic Coat-bounced sleep I guess.

Shrang's set said:
I've been using this set:

Meloetta @ Expert Belt
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Nature: Hasty
- Relic Song
- Close Combat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice

Basically, the idea of the set is to set up multiple layers of hazards, and then spam Relic Song to force switches. Counters to Meloetta-A tend to be weak to Meloetta-P (Blissey, Snorlax, Tyranitar), while counters to Meloetta-P tend to be weak to Meloetta-A (Skarmory, Gliscor). The idea is to spam Relic Song and keep changing forms and stay one step ahead of the opposition. With these games going on, you can probably HP Ice a Gliscor or something like that and secure a sweep for Excadrill and stuff. With Fighting resists removed, Meloetta-P can handily clean up teams by itself as well.

EDIT: Oh yea, the EVs used let you outspeed Adamant Lucario as Meloetta-A and Alakazam as Meloetta-P.
I've never tried Meloetta, but my God this set looks brilliant, shrang! Of course, the only issue I'd see is losing defensive ability as Meloetta-A if you fired off a Close Combat as Meloetta-P and switched forms back. Opposing Fighting-types could also be mean. Again, I've never tried Meloetta, but I'm now pumped to try it. XD

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
My prediction is that meloetta will be more successful in her aria form than her pirouette form for several reasons. First of all, she needs to use relic song to get into pirouette form, whereas her aria form can attack right off the bat or set up. Also, since relic song is a normal type attack that means ghost types can freely switch into her and prevent her from transforming. Also, she only has two weaknesses in her aria form while in her pirouette form she has three. Finally, aria form can severely damage both defensive and specially defensive pokemon. While her excellent movepool covers any defensive pokemon, she also gets psyshock to prevent chansey, blissey and snorlax from walling her. I can list numerous other reasons why aria form is better, but these are the important ones.

Anyways, just my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)