Media Minecraft Discussion Thread

^ This.

Also, lol at the little name tag below smogcraft. Don't try joining.....

This is gonna be great though. I've missed you smogcraft! Can't wait till the whitelist is up and running! Then things can really get started! Thanks BenVdd!

I don't see anything wrong with making a temporary map and then making a new one when 1.1 drops. It will be like the old interim map I guess which we had before 1.8 dropped. While we knew it wouldn't last long it was still fun anyways.

EDIT: I forgot that this costed money. So if money isn't an issue then what I said above. If the person who funds it does want to save and stuff then that's understandeable and none of us should have a say in that matter.

the server is costing money even when it appears offline for you guys.

anyways , like I said, eveything is in place for an interim map. Forks is just 'figuring out the best time to release the server to the masses' whatever that means ;)

and you are welcome :)

Rocket Grunt

✁ - - - - - - - - - -
is a Top Artist Alumnus
the only thing that i would like to suggest before we rebuild spawn is that it might be nice to have all the little spawn-buildings actually attached to the pillar/supports. for example, the enchantment room was really fantastic and well built, and also made use of the half-block spawn pillars as part of its entrance design. the wool squish game was not attached to anything, but occupied a similar area. i'm just saying that it might be nicer if all the spawn shops, farms, and features made better use of the space in which they were placed. by attaching and making use of the spawn pillars, it might create a nicer sense of homogeneity.

Also, for expediency's sake, just build spawn in Creative mode or with MCEdit so we have it up and ready for the actual map. You can change it back to whatever mode you want.

And I disagree with making the interim map Creative -- it's kinda boring when you have everything at your disposal.

HolyChipmunk

California's finest chodesmuggler
I agree. 1.1 will also bring an option for generating flat terrain when the world is first created, which would make building spawn much easier. I'm not sure if the entire world would be flat (which would suck), but I think it's worth waiting to find out.
If you stay on 1.1 then the entire world is flat, but if you make a flat world then revert back to 1.0 and load the rest of the map, this happens.

Also, for expediency's sake, just build spawn in Creative mode or with MCEdit so we have it up and ready for the actual map. You can change it back to whatever mode you want.

And I disagree with making the interim map Creative -- it's kinda boring when you have everything at your disposal.
Meh I dunno about that...on the one hand, we obviously already built spawn before, so this would just get it established quickly. On the other hand, there's still a lot of us who missed out on the chance to build spawn because no one bothered to announce it beforehand, it just went live a week before the original release was planned...so meh, pros and cons to both.

Also HolyChipmunk, that's actually kinda cool...

Agreeing with this, but I feel really bad about the time Wyv (and others, but mainly her) spent on the spawn, only for it to be gone in less than a month.

Meh I dunno about that...on the one hand, we obviously already built spawn before, so this would just get it established quickly. On the other hand, there's still a lot of us who missed out on the chance to build spawn because no one bothered to announce it beforehand, it just went live a week before the original release was planned...so meh, pros and cons to both.
There was plenty of announcement of when the map was going to be launched and the build itself took at least 4 days, so don't even say you didn't have a chance to help out.

And why don't we want this to happen? This looks awesome!

just saying
That looks like the goddamn Far Lands, and you see how deep that is. One creeper is all it'll take and a void hole will be blasted into the floor. There's also the piles of lava to sort out too.

Except there's bedrock 3 blocks below the grass, so the only way you can fall into the void is using Creative. But it does look amazingly cool, especially with the piles of lava.

Dan Dan said:
There was plenty of announcement of when the map was going to be launched and the build itself took at least 4 days, so don't even say you didn't have a chance to help out.
There was no such announcement. Originally it was announced that the server would launch December 16 or 19 (can't remember exactly), then it was said on IRC (not this topic) that it would be sometime sooner. No specifics were ever given since that. Suddenly on December 9th there's a post in the thread with the server IP and people had already begun on the server.

Yes it took awhile to build spawn and plenty of opportunity to help, but that doesn't change that there was no advanced notice to it going live. Some users that may have been able to participate at launch missed out because they didn't know to be available. Then you have these privileged user ("Champions") bragging about taming spawn etc etc etc and it was all just a very annoying experience.

===
Now I want to argue against an interm map.

I'm completely against the idea of making an interm map and waiting for 1.1.0. It was painful to wait for official release, then for bukkit's release; with both of those we at least had a date to work around (Nov 18th). We have no idea when 1.1.0 will launch, it could be over a month away! I'm so sick of waiting, I just want to play for real. I will have no motivation at all to do anything significant on an interm map knowing it'll all get nuked eventually.

I understand the argument for waiting, 1.1.0 changes terrain generation a bit, but we can still work with that by implementing borders (*gasp*). Yes I know everyone hates borders, but with them we only generate what's in and just outside the border, then when we lift the border at 1.1.0 the new terrain generation will be taking affect for everything beyond that. Hell at that point we could even move Spawn somewhere beyond to a nicer location. The difference would be that we keep every bit of progress we've made (items, buildings, etc).

tl;dr: Contained permanent server until 1.1.0 >>>>> interm server until 1.1.0.

===
EDIT: Dan Dan that still doesn't address that there was no notice, IRC or no IRC. It was never said the server would go live on December 9th. Nobody knew it was going to go live until it was already live.

There was no such announcement. Originally it was announced that the server would launch December 19th, then it was said on IRC (not this topic) that it would be sometime sooner. No specifics were ever given since that. Suddenly on December 9th there's a post in the thread with the server IP and people had already begun on the server.

Yes it took awhile to build spawn and plenty of opportunity to help, but that doesn't change that there was no advanced notice to it going live.
IRC is the place to be

tl;dr: Contained permanent server until 1.1.0 >>>>> interm server until 1.1.0.
Starting out on a new map, exploring it, setting up camp and making all the facilities needed for a luxurious lifestyle.. thats what MC is about for me. Not the hours of grinding materials to make a giant ass maze out of obsidian...

but yeah.. It all comes down to preference.

Anyways , leaving all this biased stuff aside... Do you feel like not having a map for no1 to enjoy so you don't feel the lack of motivation (wich would come down to not playing anyways) is more important then having an interim map wich people who can enjoy this type of play can actually play?

EDIT: woops , you opted for one with borders untill release.. My bad :)

There was no such announcement. Originally it was announced that the server would launch December 16 or 19 (can't remember exactly), then it was said on IRC (not this topic) that it would be sometime sooner. No specifics were ever given since that. Suddenly on December 9th there's a post in the thread with the server IP and people had already begun on the server.

Yes it took awhile to build spawn and plenty of opportunity to help, but that doesn't change that there was no advanced notice to it going live. Some users that may have been able to participate at launch missed out because they didn't know to be available. Then you have these privileged user ("Champions") bragging about taming spawn etc etc etc and it was all just a very annoying experience.

===
Sums up my thoughts perfectly, not everyone uses or bothers with IRC for starters. And that "champions" shit was getting old very fast.

Also, does anyone know if you'll need another new version of bukkit for 1.1.0 (potentially adding to wait time), or does it just work off the old one? Hopefully won't need a new version to wait on...

How can you complain about feeling left out after they told you how to be included? If you don't want to bother with IRC then don't complain.

On a different note, I agree with Veedrock: We should put the server up with borders so those that want to build can do so. Those that want to wait can as well.

Champions aren't privileged users. It just a few users who called themselves Champs also happened to be people donate. Anyone can donate, as said before. You get a colored name tag, and possibly other perks if we think of them, but nothing that makes them "more important" or have more say.

Only I hate on the champs, no one else, GOT IT

Champions aren't privileged users. It just a few users who called themselves Champs also happened to be people donate. Anyone can donate, as said before. You get a colored name tag, and possibly other perks if we think of them, but nothing that makes them "more important" or have more say.

Only I hate on the champs, no one else, GOT IT
How do you donate again? Send it to someone's paypal, but forgot who lol. Hopefully one of these interviews I've had will pan into a job so I can donate lol...

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
lol, champions weren't privileged users, it just so happened that lots of us donated to the server and got coloured names. that is the only "privilege" we were afforded

secondly, re: "bragging about taming spawn" two things:

a) we did

and b) it was all light-hearted

if you have something rammed so far up your ass you can't appreciate a little light-hearted fun on the server (it wasn't at anyone's expense) then you can kindly not play on the server

this isn't smogon's official minecraft server. it is a server hosted by members of smogon. you aren't entitled to anything you are suggesting you are, much less to bitch and moan about the way other players (who have much closer ties to the server) have fun

it might be better if you found somewhere else to play minecraft

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)