NBA Offseason 2009

Is this thread really necessary? I thought the point of having this sub-forum was to allow more specific topics instead of keeping everything crammed in to one discussion like this thread seems to be doing..

Is this thread really necessary? I thought the point of having this sub-forum was to allow more specific topics instead of keeping everything crammed in to one discussion like this thread seems to be doing..

well since all games are over until october now, i think 1 main thread for the offseason fits nicely. However a thread focused on the nba draft might be a good idea with that coming up soon. After that i think this thread should do by itself for awhile.

The Knicks would be foolish not to resign Nate Robinson. I say resign Nate, dunp Lee and sign Allen Iverson. Think about it, Iverson is Nate's favorite player ever! That would give Nate a really big boost.

^Starhawk, the Knicks back court wouldnt be able to defend much at all with those two alone. Theyve been trying to get rid of the old assholes/bad contracts that bogged the team down in recent years.

See:
Stephon Marbury
Zach Randolf
Isiah Thomas
Jerome James
Malik Rose
Jalen Rose
Mo Taylor
Steve Francis

Id say Donnie Walsh wont sign him anyways.

EDIT:YAY Spurs get Richard Jefferson! I/Spurs fans rejoice!

Yeah the spurs traded oberto, bowen, and thomas for jefferson works great for both squads, also the Cavs owners want to get yao ming.

I don't like the trade much. (If only because I'm a Mavs fan and don't want to see a trade that makes San Antonio stronger! It's a good trade for them.)

Yeah the spurs traded oberto, bowen, and thomas for jefferson works great for both squads, also the Cavs owners want to get yao ming.

Looks like spurs is trying one more time. I expected them to go young this season because it didn't work out last season.

Parker / Manu / Duncan / Jeff core looks promising.

Edit: Wizards just got Mike Miller and Randy Foye for the 5th pick and scraps!!

Arenas / Butler / Miller / Jamison / Blatche

The Knicks would be foolish not to resign Nate Robinson. I say resign Nate, dunp Lee and sign Allen Iverson. Think about it, Iverson is Nate's favorite player ever! That would give Nate a really big boost.
That makes.... ABSOLUTELY no sense.... Resign nate and sign iverson... even though they play the same position. Lee is going to be a lot better long term then Nate. Signing Iverson is fine. Sign Iverson, move him to the point, and resign Lee. Draft Tyreke Evans if hes available. If not, move Iverson to the sg and draft Jennings, Jrue Holliday, or Curry. However, the Knicks might be stupid enough to sign Nate over Lee, then sign Iverson -___-

Looks like spurs is trying one more time. I expected them to go young this season because it didn't work out last season.

Parker / Manu / Duncan / Jeff core looks promising.

Edit: Wizards just got Mike Miller and Randy Foye for the 5th pick and scraps!!

Arenas / Butler / Miller / Jamison / Blatche
That Wizards trade isnt official yet, but im pretty sure it was agreed upon. They need one of the players to agree he wont opt out, then the deal will go through.

As for the Spurs, that deal makes them easily a top 3 team again. They lacked scoring when one of their big 3 went down, and it was usually Ginobli that was injured. Now you got four guys that score, and Matt Bonner the superstar at center. Hopefully the Spurs might actually become a somewhat exciting team by putting up points, instead of winning games 85-74

I don't like the trade much. (If only because I'm a Mavs fan and don't want to see a trade that makes San Antonio stronger! It's a good trade for them.)

Yea, your fine. Sides' we dont have any type of a front line any more so its moot until we can find some type of athletic weakside defending center. I hope we can resign Gooden though.

As for the Spurs, that deal makes them easily a top 3 team again. They lacked scoring when one of their big 3 went down, and it was usually Ginobli that was injured. Now you got four guys that score, and Matt Bonner the superstar at center. Hopefully the Spurs might actually become a somewhat exciting team by putting up points, instead of winning games 85-74

Im happy to have a great stand in for Gino, who might be as injury prone as Allan Houston soon... Matt Boner is no answer at center as he falls apart in the late season run. When his shot dosent fall he CONTRIBUTES NOTHING, offensively or on D. Sometimes he frustrates me so much that I have to bold random words and letters to prove my point >_>

...I like my low scoring games, thank you very much.

My hopes for shoring up the big spots are petty much limited to... an unproven D-League center, Sheed, Joe Smith, Rasho, and the grand master Zaza Pachulia.

A testament to my desperate center problems, and to Zaza's greatness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cQjjvFAf6Q

Yea, your fine. Sides' we dont have any type of a front line any more so its moot until we can find some type of athletic weakside defending center. I hope we can resign Gooden though.

Im happy to have a great stand in for Gino, who might be as injury prone as Allan Houston soon... Matt Boner is no answer at center as he falls apart in the late season run. When his shot dosent fall he CONTRIBUTES NOTHING, offensively or on D. Sometimes he frustrates me so much that I have to bold random words and letters to prove my point >_>

...I like my low scoring games, thank you very much.

My hopes for shoring up the big spots are petty much limited to... an unproven D-League center, Sheed, Joe Smith, Rasho, and the grand master Zaza Pachulia.

A testament to my desperate center problems, and to Zaza's greatness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cQjjvFAf6Q
The Positive I see out of this trade: No Bruce Bowen, no more Kobe container on the Spurs. Kobe is going to run wild on this Spurs team. im sorry, but RJ wont be able to contain Kobe lmao. I still think as long as we can at least re sign Ariza, I dont see how this Laker team isnt a dynasty. They can easily make it back to the ship for a third year in a row, and possibly win it for the second straight year in a row. Gasol isnt even 30 yet, Bynum will only be 22, Kobe is Kobe, and Fish might still be around. Even if hes not, Darren Collison might be on the Lakers radar

okay, mr pizzle. we'll give you dampier for manu! x)

Damp + Soggy waffles = Deal lol

The Positive I see out of this trade: No Bruce Bowen, no more Kobe container on the Spurs. Kobe is going to run wild on this Spurs team. im sorry, but RJ wont be able to contain Kobe lmao. I still think as long as we can at least re sign Ariza, I dont see how this Laker team isnt a dynasty. They can easily make it back to the ship for a third year in a row, and possibly win it for the second straight year in a row. Gasol isnt even 30 yet, Bynum will only be 22, Kobe is Kobe, and Fish might still be around. Even if hes not, Darren Collison might be on the Lakers radar

Bowen played 10 or so minutes a game, and we did not play him on Kobe for more than a few minutes. I dare you to find anyone that can contain Kobe anyways, so its not like im gonna sweat that XD

The big reason we traded BB was that he was essential dead weight, along with Oberto with heart problems. I think if you were to try to guard some of the better wing players you would laugh your ass off at the skill drop off a year brings. Same thing happened to Horry in 08'.

I have a feeling Laker magic will come through and we will see Odom and Ariza will be on the squad regardless of what the salary cap says. If you guys wanted something, and I mean REALLY wanted something you would be the team to be able to do it no matter how bad the deal looks. You and Boston have some kind of political clout with Stern since you are the league faces atm.

Bowen stopped defending well a while ago more or less.

Yeh, I dont even get why there is a cap. Almost every team is over the cap, and the luxury tax is just a cop out to go over the cap. I expect Ariza to be back, no problem. Odom might wanna be a starter, and wont accept start spots/6th man role. Thats the only reason he might not come back, but id go crazy if we could get both of them back. Fish could retire, but we can always replace him in the draft. If anything, we can shop around for a point guard, possibly even rafer alston. Nelson is back, and rafer is going to go back to the bench.

Yeh, I dont even get why there is a cap. Almost every team is over the cap, and the luxury tax is just a cop out to go over the cap. I expect Ariza to be back, no problem. Odom might wanna be a starter, and wont accept start spots/6th man role. Thats the only reason he might not come back, but id go crazy if we could get both of them back. Fish could retire, but we can always replace him in the draft. If anything, we can shop around for a point guard, possibly even rafer alston. Nelson is back, and rafer is going to go back to the bench.

On the cap, its needed to prevent teams that can afford multiple big contracts(ex: Yankees) from taking over the game. At least thats how I interpret it.

That old guy darkies Mavericks have a GM named Mark Cuban who throws money at players an time he feels the need to.

Look at the 03'04' Mav season -
Antoine Walker
Antwan Jamison
Steve Nash
Dirk Nowitzki
Micheal Finley

All raked it in 6 million plus(only Steve made 6, the rest 10 plus), showing that you can go over the cap, but you have to pay. He hasnt done this since the new agreement has been put into place...

He also overspends for tallent(Dampier, Tariq AW, Nick Van Ex ect)

Either way its nice to have a GM willing to spend for talent, just not on a Yankee level.

Im not sure if there will ever be a PG fit to run the triangle offence like Fish does/did. Payton couldnt, but I think Chris/Shannon Brown could be his successor.

Id like to dumb vujachic to be honest. He is the matt bonner of our team, except vujachic doesnt start. All he can do is score, and he is so streaky. When hes off, hes way off. When hes on, hes clutch. I like farmer to run that offense, but he can be hit or miss at times.

I rather have shannon at the point to be honest as he's more disciplined and can shoot the 3 pretty well, also ariza needs to be signed, but it would be cool if we could sign both. Also jefferson is a pretty solid defender.

Farmar plays well with good minutes. Sasha and that guy Vladamir Radmonovic, two streaky ass shooters didnt really pan out, but at least Sasha has time to grow.

this just in:

mavs trade their #22 to the blazers for their #24 and two second round picks (one this year, the other next). it's not a bad move considering we (the mavs) don't have a first round pick next year, but i'm not sure if it was the best move. hopefully, #24 is enough to grab lawson, mullens, or maynor.

this just in: hawks/warriors deal likely to go down...jamal crawford for acie law and speedy claxton.

edit: darko likely on the move again too...grizzlies talking about trading him to the knicks for quentin richardson

this just in: hawks/warriors deal likely to go down...jamal crawford for acie law and speedy claxton.

edit: darko likely on the move again too...grizzlies talking about trading him to the knicks for quentin richardson

if the Crawford trade goes down, where are they running him? The only position Crawford knows how to play is shooting guard, forcing JJ to either play SF or Crawford being a 6th man.

Yeah this trade is good in getting rid of two largely useless players, just worried about how team chemistry will be affected.

Back