Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread - Mark 3

So...what the heck is this Bravely Default game about? Any more info on it? I heard it was an RPG, but what kind exactly...
It's basically a classic Final Fantasy game without it being a classic Final Fantasy game. The main gimmick is that you can use a defensive command to store points that let you attack multiple times in the same turn.

It's basically a classic Final Fantasy game without it being a classic Final Fantasy game. The main gimmick is that you can use a defensive command to store points that let you attack multiple times in the same turn.
So, turn-based or ATB out of curiosity? Don't suppose you have a review of the story and other features too (is there a class system for example?).

So, turn-based or ATB out of curiosity? Don't suppose you have a review of the story and other features too (is there a class system for example?).
The battles are turn-based. There's a job system that works like FF5, where you can change your character's job and level up that job to learn new abilities they can carry to a different job. Can't really say much about the story since I don't actually own the game, but there's some cool features with the random encounters. You're able to speed up the battles at will and you can alter the rate of random encounters, or even turn them off altogether.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
There are a lot of features that aren't included in the demo that are in the real game itself. I highly recommend you pick it up because so far it has impressed me.

If I were to liken it to any game in regards to mechanics, it would be Final Fantasy 3 or Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light. Bravely Default exceeds those two due to the story being very very good (according to reviews). Also consider the fact that the scenario writer for Steins;Gate was heavily involved in the script for this game.

Alice: Be very very jealous. I got the collector's edition of Bravely Default. According to the guy at Gamestop, I was one of three other people in the area to order this version. I'm pretty excited. :)
I had no idea there was a collector's edition... I hope the GameStop here still has some left. :(

Will the Demo be able to connect with an actual cart, though? The game said that the demo would be able to upload some bonuses to the full version, but I don't know if that only works with digital copies or not.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Sad news on Kotaro Uchikoshi's Twitter:

The sequel for VLR that was slated to be released within the next year has been cancelled due to the producers/developers in Japan not feeling that the previous two games were not profitable enough in Japan. He may be looking to crowdsource the game.

His Twitter.

Yeah, it feels very similar to FF5 (right down to a lot of the classes and magic being put in word for word) but with a new core mechanic of guarding to save up actions that adds a lot to the formula and more modern design. Liking it a lot so far.

Also consider the fact that the scenario writer for Steins;Gate was heavily involved in the script for this game.
That may or may not be a good thing assuming it's the same writer who's responsible for the other two things in the semicolon science series.

low leverage is the most broken ability in the game. i don't think it's possible to lose to bosses if you turn low leverage on LOL

also if you're against a boss that can't use magic, a 4 ninja setup basically wins bravely default for you. good game aside from the few cases where you can just abuse the crap out of a certain ability

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
its ok i got screwed cuz i bought a refurbished 3ds (no 3ds PIN) :) just sharin

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I registered mine yesterday and still didn't get a code. Apparently I had already reached the "registration limit" for 3DS systems or some bullshit.

hm, thought it wasn't going to work at first, didn't realize you had to link the system as well as registering from the system itself, now I just need to decide what version.

Granted now my registered games are spread across two different accounts because of the SMT4/FE:A promotion last year, hopefully I'll actually be able to find the right account next time I need to do anything on Club Nintendo.

Anyways, thanks for the heads-up.

I haven't acted on the promo yet. I'd get MK7, but I'd like to be sure if it would work. Made a new account and got the 3DS registered (bought it half a year ago). Just simply get the game and put in the serial and it should work?

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
You should be ok as long as the 3DS and MK7 (or whatever game you get) are both registered in the time window. I think that's how it worked with the Luigi's Mansion 2 promo a year ago.

You should be ok as long as the 3DS and MK7 (or whatever game you get) are both registered in the time window. I think that's how it worked with the Luigi's Mansion 2 promo a year ago.
Window as in the same month (March, just did it for the 3DS) or around the same time?

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Window as in the same month (March, just did it for the 3DS) or around the same time?
I would assume that the promotion will still be good if you register the game before March 30 (probably even on the 31st if there aren't any weird time zone shenanigans). I have known some eShop deals to last only until the specified day is over in Japan, so be warned. The sooner the better, really.

A little game called Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney was released in Australia today. As far as I know, there isn't a North American release date for the game yet, so I might just give a bit of a preview for everyone who can't get the game yet.

Currently I've only beaten the two prologue chapters. Layton gameplay is just what you'd expect, you solve the puzzles, you use the coins to get hints (you also start with 30 hint coins. Quite generous of you, game), and you tap the landscape to get more coins. Can't really say the landscape tapping is intuitive though since said landscape doesn't appear on the touch-screen, you have to slide the stylus on the touch-screen to move a cursor on the top screen. I don't know if it's like that in the 3DS Layton games, but it's awkward regardless. I'd just stick to the circle pad and buttons. Ace Attorney gameplay is a little strange. It takes a few elements from the Layton series and incorporates them into the courtroom gameplay. You can use hint coins in court to narrow down what evidence you need, and you're rewarded Picarats at the end of a trial depending on how many exclamation marks you have. Yes, I did just say exclamation marks. For whatever reason, they decided to revert back to the penalty system of the very first game. Dunno what was wrong with the bar, but OK. There doesn't seem to be a soft-reset function, so save scumming is kinda awkward, especially when you have to go through an extra menu to save the game, and you can't hold down the B button to fast-forward through text. I think this'll become annoying down the road. I also miss the feature in Dual Destinies where you can read what was previously said, but since this game did come out in Japan before Dual Destinies, I can let it slide. Also, they changed Phoenix's voice actor, it's not Sam Riegel in this game. If the Ace Attorney wiki is to be believed, Phoenix is now voiced by Roger Craig Smith, who gives a performance that sounds a lot older than Sam Riegal's, even though Phoenix is still in his 20's in this game while he's in his 30's in Dual Destinies. Just something weird.

I am enjoying the game so far, the story is intriguing and I'm curious to see how the new features play out. Hopefully, whoever the hell's publishing the game in North America will get it together soon.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
In-case there are any Monster Hunter fans here, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate was announced not too long ago. It's actually going to be localized, unlike it's previous installment, which only came out in Japan. However, the western release will be early 2015. I think the best news about it is the online multiplayer it will have, unlike MH3U.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy (Genre: RPG)
aside from Pokemon, best RPG I've played in about 3 years
out of curiosity, what other good RPG's have you played recently? I can't remember having as much fun with an RPG like Bravely Default since..... fuck, Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door. Am I missing some huge gems or is my taste just weird?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)