Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like every game, something naturally counters the other.

Goodstuff beats TR
TR beats Rain
Rain beats Goodstuff

That is the naturally order. I'm not saying those will always win, but they have a greater chance. Rain is all about out speeding the opponents and TR reverses the speed so slower pokemon go first, so it is a natural counter to it. Having rain week pokemon for your sweepers may be why most TR teams lose to RD. I run marowak + HH Uxie on my TR team and it does pretty well. I haven't lost to a rain team before I believe. I know I beat Raist a lot using it.
Indeed, that cycle I have to agree with but I personally think rain may be able to best TR with a bit of protecting/double attacking 1 pokies/brave azumaril/snorlax support. I am not saying this because it works on paper but because I have tried a new rain dance team and have been able to beat the some TR teams although I haven't tested much to say anything very firmly. But another thing about rain is that most of the pokies used in RD have very few weaknesses/are bulky/have weaknesses to typing that are not very common(eg, Ludicolo's weakness to flying).

I completely agree with your cycle and I know TR has bulky pokies as well but I think RD can have a bulky approach as well, rather than just the increase speed and sweep approach, which I think is the better approach. Plus RD makes water typing go on crack as well while TR doesn't give any boosts and damp rock helps.

@Naso: DAMN, if only I could wear those costumes and dance blindly, would have been awesome. POKEMONBATTLEBRAIN, I will be there with you as well next year lol. I wonder though how Marriland got hired, he must have really stashed in some cash.

Rain isn't all that reliable, though. My rain/gravity team was always greatly threatened by goodstuffs. I guess it wasn't standard rain, but random Latios/Gengar thunderbolts really put a downer on Kabutops in particular.

And did people take the suits off or something? Lol

The London Pikachu was pretty good at dancing though.

Rain Dance leads do not include togekiss or follow me most of the time. There is a RD set up pokemon, and normally Ludicolo for the fake out, which will stop and attempts of encore users most of the time. The only encore threat I can think of is infernape, which is weak to water. If they try to encore turn one, they get faked out, and on turn 2 if they try the set up pokemon is usually fast enough where it attacks before infernape uses encore.

I used Dusknoir as a setup for my rain/gravity team. Dumb idea in retrospect, really, seeing as he attracted taunts from all over.

Quarter Final London team was:

Dusknoir @ lum berry
Gravity
Rain Dance
Taunt
Rock Slide

Gengar
@ focus sash
Thunder
Taunt
Shadow Ball
Explosion

Kabutops @ life orb
Aqua Jet
Aqua Tail
Stone Edge
Protect

Kingdra @ haban berry
Hydro Pump
Dragon Pulse
Rain Dance
Protect

Yeeeaaah... it seemed like a good idea at the time. Why oh why didn't I just use goodstuffs?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I used Dusknoir as a setup for my rain/gravity team. Dumb idea in retrospect, really, seeing as he attracted taunts from all over.
??? Maybe it's just because I've never used it, but how does Gravity help your team? Just to increase the accuracy of Rock Slide, Thunder (if no rain), Hydro Pump, and Stone Edge?

That was pretty much it. I used gravity because I thought it was cool, and I've had literally years of rain dance doubles experience so I went with that.
I should've worked on creating a gem, but ended up polishing a turd.

That was pretty much it. I used gravity because I thought it was cool, and I've had literally years of rain dance doubles experience so I went with that.
I should've worked on creating a gem, but ended up polishing a turd.
lol dude, Dusky I dont think really works in setting up rain. Ludicolo is like a must for lead with either Jolteon or Zapdos, depending on whether you want bulkiness or speed. Also if you were thinking of gravity because of Ludocolo's Hydro Pump's accuracy, then just hook that bastard up with a wide lens and it works as well, believe me I have tried and if you do so, you can equip colocolo with the more doubles oriented blizzard than the less wanted ice beam and it actually works.

I still remember that one crit pretty much made the game, sorry about that man.

Hey y'all,

I've returned to home and would like to thank all of you who I was able to meet for the wonderful time I had with you. I will probably write something larger after I'm finished with my thesis but for now shoutouts will be what I'm doing.

Order is random just as it occurs to my memory.

~ matt: the coolest guy out there, chilling with you there was so much fun. Hope to see you again.

~ slimceagirl: the only competitor in high heels, was so glad to meet you! You did good in the tournament, never let them get you down. You know what I told you. It's a shame we didn't play. Hope you make it to Hawaii next year ^_^

~ Sixonesix: thank you for letting me play Melee on your Wii, nice games there too! I went to room 618 for the Smash session together with Massi but we decided to turn around because you had a "Do not disturb"-thingy hanging on your door knob x) I will remain silent on our one match but I guess it killed your willpower as well as mine -.-

~ OD: cool guy as well, hope you were not too bitter about the Germans after the tourney..

~ Vash: the time with you was definitely fun and worthwhile and your comments on the final were just like one hell of a show :D

~ PBB: Mr Nice Guy. We had some nice battles and a good time. Thanks for all the tests on NB before the tourney as well!

~ Mysteryman: We didn't talk too much and you seemed kinda shy. Nice to meet you, though.

~ ultimatedra: your comment on my team during the tourney kinda annoyed me but I guess you didn't mean it as you said it. Nice to meet you, I kinda forgot your smogon name until you posted your fotos lol

~ UltimateUnknown: the day before the tourney we had a great time in the playing room, thank you for that! Gotta see you again =D

more soon..too tired..

Hahahaha you guys, ironically, there was a picture from superbad just like this lol.

<picture with male genitals removed>

Good Job to Everyone in the Worlds!

lol lol lol lol lol lol looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

Drug's like "WTF are they doing?"

lol thanks Drug, I definitely had a great time hanging around you and Honchkrow. I hope we can meet again in the next worlds. Until next time, lets keep working hard.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion

Hahahaha you guys, ironically, there was a picture from superbad just like this lol.
I really hope that is not the only thing you thought we were referencing there. Because "ironically" about 60 years before Superbad this happened:

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
That would be cool. But it would be somewhat harder to organize, but that's just how I see it.
I think alaka said he runs regular ones on this site. No real prizes, but hey, same rules and competitive battles with friends. Good enough for me.

[edit] yeah, I know taste is subjective but that pic was really offensive. Sorry to nag.

I think alaka said he runs regular ones on this site. No real prizes, but hey, same rules and competitive battles with friends. Good enough for me.

[edit] yeah, I know taste is subjective but that pic was really offensive. Sorry to nag.
On #smogonwifi IRC we hold tournaments, usually weekly if someone is able to host (me, alakapimp, pablo). We give out pokemon for prizes usually. Either our own or donated prizes.

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Some memorable moments for me:
-My love letter
-Magical disappearing pokéhitler
-Mattj's secret "glitch"
-Sideways hat guys
-Playing Melee/Brawl
-Multi battle w/ Alakapimp vs 2 juniors
-Finding "unconventional" ways of using a Nintendo DSi

There are probably more that I can't think of right now...
Regarding the RNG stuff in FR/LG ... I keep telling you to post it in Evergrande, so don't act like no one has encouraged you to do this. I said it in St. Louis and again in San Diego :P There are a lot of people who would make Jigglychus and Pikapuffs with you if you posted it, so consider that. Also scan the letter already!

Anyhow, good to see you again and glad I could be involved in you learning how to rock a hat.

Let's just all agree that it was a good weekend and that the tournament was secondary to meeting all these rad people.
Agreed!

Just want to say that it was great meeting some new people and seeing some familiar faces again.

Well, I'm now actually a bit disappointed in my brother :\
Not only did he fail to get anything signed ("the queue was too long"), but he didn't download the event Weavile to our games either ("my DS ran out of batteries"). Ironically, guess who rushed back with him to get his DS charger minutes before he left for Worlds?
Well, letting him borrow my Platinum was a bit of a waste... Next year, I'm going to win the qualifiers so I can go and to everything myself >:(
If I can find time I will get you a good, uncloned, one. I downloaded it to a few carts so I have spares.

Best moments:

Trying to solve the mystery of the thirsty Germans.
Learning how to rock a hat.
Seeing you know who totally shitfaced.
Finally catching Pokemon Hitler.

And hanging out with everyone. You guys are a bunch of characters.

Pherhaps they have discovered how to abuse the in-battle's rng xDDD
You did it WAY before them

Hey! Cool idea here:

How about...

National championships in the UK, Spain, France, Italy and Germany, the five European regions with their own Nintendos and game translations. Each national is treated like a US regional, with 4 qualifiers from each country. These qualifiers then move on to... a European continental championship which is treated like St. Louis.
They, as TPCi, must do it because the next year i'm not going to spend a lot of money only to lose for a speed tie or a fire blast miss

I too would be very grateful if anyone in the know could post any information they have about the FR/LG RNG. Anyway, I'm glad to hear everyone had an awesome time at Worlds. I wish I could have been there. Hopefully in 2010 I'll be able to make it to a qualifier, and who knows... I just might see you all there next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)