Tournament OMPL IX - Week 3

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head

Art by AmirAlexander
Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7 | Playoffs | Finals
Information Thread | Roster | Schedule | Standings | Replays | Usage Stats | Records
There are 8 teams this year. Each team has 6 players and at least 2 subs. Managers bought players using the 100k credits in their auction budget. Managers were allowed to purchase themselves at a fixed price of 20k but had to do so before the draft. Teams can win their matchup every week by winning 4 of the 6 matches that their players have to play.​
The tier lineup this year is as follows:​
  1. SS Almost Any Ability
  2. SS Balanced Hackmons
  3. SS Camomons
  4. SS Mix and Mega
  5. SS NFE
  6. SS STABmons
All games will be played on the Pokemon Showdown main server or SmogTours in the most current version of the format corresponding to those listed above. The result between players may be decided in a best-of-one (Bo1) or best-of-three (Bo3) at the discretion of both players involved. If there is no agreement, the match will default to a Bo1.​
Points distributions per round:​
> Win (4-6 or 5-1): 2 points​
> Loss (1-5 or 2-4): 1 point​
> Draw (3-3): 1 point​
In addition, the manner in which the round has been won will also be recorded i.e. the difference between a team's wins and losses in a specific week's round (referred to as "Win Differential").​
Playoffs:​
Each team will play one another for seven weeks. Based on the final standings, the top 4 teams will enter a Playoffs Round to determine the teams appearing in the finals.​

Tiebreaker
In the event of two teams being tied for a spot in the finals based on points and win differential, or a tie in the final round itself, we will have a tiebreaker round(s).​

Tiebreaker Rules: One metagame will be picked by each manager with the higher seed picking second. The third format will be determined at random by the hosts. All three metagames must be unique, so no format can be picked twice.​

Substitutes
Substitutes are to be used in the case of extenuating circumstances, whether on the first day of the week, or the last. At the same time, players should be relatively well-aware of who all are available to play in the opponent's camp. If last minute substitutes are being frequently used or abused and the hosts find explanations unsatisfactory, the hosts still reserve the right to veto them. In order to further prevent this being the case teams are only granted a maximum of two substitutes per week. Any substitutions after the second will be vetoed.​

Trades
The hosts have decided to not include trades this year due to reasons outlined in this thread - all roster decisions are final.​

Scheduling
Scheduling should be done on Smogon Profile walls, plain and simple:​
  • If there is no communication on Smogon Profile walls and a game goes undone, it will be considered a "dead game" and will not count towards either team's score.
  • If there is communication on only one user's behalf, the win will go to them. Feel free to call activity in this thread beforehand
  • If there is a very healthy back and forth regarding potential times and one user is a no-show, a manager may take the opportunity to sub out the no-show competitor; if this is not done, the user that showed up responsibly will be awarded the win.
TL;DR: Post on your opponent's Smogon wall, schedule your matches, and be reliable. If you can't play for any reason, let your manager know so they can sub you out ASAP.​
Use these posts as a place to initiate discussion about bo1 or bo3 as well!

Sportsmanship
Exhibitions of unsportsmanlike conduct with regards to the Other Metagame Premier League will be met with an infraction at the discretion of the OMPL host/OM mods. This is unlikely to include interactions within a team's private chat unless there is reason found to make an exception. This rule is meant to protect other users from being publicly flamed/bashed/provoked by another competitor for the duration of and following the tournament.​
All players must complete their matches by the given deadline. Any incomplete matches by that time will be subject to an activity decision (MAKE SURE YOU POST ON YOUR OPPONENT'S WALL); otherwise, they will be decided via !pick publicly in the OM Room. All matches should ideally be done on your most notable alt (the one you registered for OMPL with) to avoid confusion and all match replays must be saved and posted in this thread. The replays will be archived in a separate thread, and will be used to calculate usage stats.​

Substitutions & Lineups
Managers, if you wish to make any substitutions, you must post here tagging both the player you're subbing out, the player you're subbing in, the manager and assistant manager of the opposing team, the substitute's opponent, and all of the hosts (Kris, Think, Sectonia). This is to assure that everyone is in-the-loop and that the OP is updated accordingly to reflect the new match-up.​
Managers, when you send in lineups, please send it in with the tier and Smogon username of each player fully written out for ease of transcription, following these guidelines exactly.​

Matchups

:tyrantrum: The Temper Tyrantrums (OM and Chazm) - [6][0] - The Rozelias (Catalystic and shiloh) :roselia:
SS Almost Any Ability - MZ vs Bushtush
SS Balanced Hackmons - XxSevagxX vs PinkDragonTamer
SS Camomons - anaconja vs shiloh
SS Mix and Mega - Chazm vs Catalystic
SS NFE - Skysolo vs Shing'n Streets
SS STABmons - Fissure vs Shiba

:alcremie: The Fullmetal Alcremists (Jrdn and Andyboy) - [2][4] - The Zoomer Zeraoras (a loser and Redflix) :zeraora:
SS Almost Any Ability - Jrdn vs Osake
SS Balanced Hackmons - MAMP vs A Touch Of Crazy
SS Camomons - Siamato vs Karl Dude Guy
SS Mix and Mega - Andyboy vs TectonicDestroyer
SS NFE - Stareal vs King Leo V
SS STABmons - Hamhamhamhamham vs vivalospride

:wigglytuff: The Wiggly Family (Dragonillis and Wigglytuff) - [2][4] - The Five-Star Jolteons (Ransei and Racool) :jolteon:
SS Almost Any Ability - Atha vs motherlove
SS Balanced Hackmons - Onyx Onix 7 vs Quantum Tesseract
SS Camomons - Meta vs Euphonos
SS Mix and Mega - qways vs Pigeons
SS NFE - Jett vs S1nn0hC0nfirm3d
SS STABmons - LBDC vs The Immortal

:spinda: The Spinda Wheels (xavgb and Jordy) - [3][3] - The Based Boomers (The Number Man and Lasen) :noivern:
SS Almost Any Ability - Sabella vs The Number Man
SS Balanced Hackmons - xavgb vs Stolen Identity
SS Camomons - Zesty43 vs Betathunder
SS Mix and Mega - Fardin vs DerpyBoi
SS NFE - tlenit vs kythr
SS STABmons - Plas vs Terracotta

Deadline:
11:59 PM (GMT -4) on June 20th, 2021

Last edited by a moderator:

hayedenn

forgotten me already?
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
one sentence nfe predicts gogogo

week 2 was rough, went 1-3 but if u dont count the bad plays and hax i basically went 4-0

SS NFE - Skysolo vs Shing'n Streets
I really want Shing to win because he really tries sososososo hard and is incredibly deserving as a player of a win against someone of strap’s caliber but man, so hard to bet against strap, even after losing last week

SS NFE - Stareal vs King Leo V
tbqh it’s a coin flip if leo wins in a given week or not but i just want to predict against him for lols, i have a 50% chance of getting it right either way. stareal has put in some good nfe performances in seasonal and last week so regardless, i also find them to be the better player rn.

SS NFE - tlenit vs kythr
tlenit is soooooo good atm. kythr played decent and cheesed their way to a win last week which, salt aside, is a valid strat. the issue is that cheese doesn’t work as well imo against someone whom i find to be as consistent as lenny and who is sort of the cheese master himself (although im sure he’d reject his teambuilding style being called cheesy)

Fardin

Tournament Banned
SS Mix and Mega - Chazm vs Catalystic - i rate both players but cata been on a slump, i feel like this will be over in preview

SS Mix and Mega - Andyboy vs TectonicDestroyer - i personally consider andy to be way above tect in both building and playing department so gonna go with him

SS Mix and Mega - qways vs Pigeons - heat mu. prior to this tour i wouldve gone with pigeons, but i've really been loving the teams qways brought the past 2 weeks. gonna give him the edge here but you can never count pigeons out

SS Almost Any Ability - MZ vs Bushtush - i cant see mz losing this unless shiloh gives an amazing mu to bush

SS Almost Any Ability - Jrdn vs Osake - heat mu but jrdn is literally the goat of aaa. gonna go with him here

SS Almost Any Ability - Atha vs motherlove - heat mu again. i rate motherlove a lot and if he is on his A game for this week, i cant see him lose this.

SS Camomons - Siamato vs Sylveon. - hl game of the week for me. imo the two best camo players in this gen rn. really looking forward to this. gonna give sia the edge here but sylveon is goated too. 51/49 mu type shit

Schedule W3 vs The Five-Star Jolteons (all GMT=0)

SS Almost Any Ability : Atha vs motherlove : Saturday 7 PM
SS Balanced Hackmons : Onyx Onix 7 vs Quantum Tesseract : Saturday 8 PM
SS Camomons : Meta vs Euphonos : Friday 2 PM
SS Mix and Mega : qways vs Pigeons : Sunday 6 PM
SS NFE : Jett vs S1nn0hC0nfirm3d : Saturday 7 PM
SS STABmons : LBDC vs The Immortal : Sunday 6 or 8 PM

I'll edit this message if I can be more precise about the schedule.

Good luck to the other teams. wigposay.png

Last edited:

Ren

i swore lips were made for lies
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
By popular demand, I, the Volkner, have returned this week!

The Temper Tyrantrums (OM and Chazm) - [3][3] - The Rozelias (Catalystic and shiloh) :roselia:
SS Almost Any Ability - MZ vs Bushtush - the last time I predicted against BOTH of these users they proved me wrong, but MZ beating Jordan is more impressive than Bush beating Sabella so I trust MZ to win here be it through prep or something else.
SS Balanced Hackmons - XxSevagxX vs PinkDragonTamer - this already happened
SS Camomons - anaconja vs shiloh - on one hand, conja beat Siamato and that's no easy feat. On the other hand, it's rozes
SS Mix and Mega - Chazm vs Catalystic - if this were week 1 I'd probably have bolded Cata since I think he's better at the overall game, but he hasn't really been impressing me these past few weeks.
SS NFE - Skysolo vs Shing'n Streets - both of these users are 0-2 to start but Shing will win I believe in him. Solo changed his pfp from Charmy and that was his mistake. Now he shall pay the price.
SS STABmons - Fissure vs Shiba - Shiba sad reacted me last week and I couldn't take it so I won't EVER give him a reason to sad react me again

:alcremie: The Fullmetal Alcremists (Jrdn and Andyboy) - [4][2] - The Zoomer Zeraoras (a loser and Redflix) :zeraora:
SS Almost Any Ability - Jrdn vs Osake - I think Jordan is the better player
SS Balanced Hackmons - sugarhigh vs A Touch Of Crazy - If sugar gets back on his game and actually shows up, I'm sure he can win. Unfortunately A Touch Of Crazy probably has the most momentum going in and I'm lowkey expecting sugar to somehow load up an NFE team by accident if he doesn't get subbed out so I'm bolding the crazy one here. (they're both crazy I mean the one who's literally crazy)
SS Camomons - Siamato vs Sylveon. - I love Siamato, I love Geerat, so this was tough. I hope both of you win. No CM and no Hydreigon feels like it'll be Siamato's game, but Geerat has also been more consistent.
SS Mix and Mega - Andyboy vs TectonicDestroyer - I bolded Andy last week and he won, I bolded against him the week before and he lost. I'm gonna make him win again this week.
SS NFE - Stareal vs King Leo V - Stareal is decidedly pog. I love Leo too, Star really impressed me with his play though
SS STABmons - Hamhamhamhamham vs vivalospride - at this point I think Viv is straight up cursed

:wigglytuff: The Wiggly Family (Dragonillis and Wigglytuff) - [3][3] - The Five-Star Jolteons (Ransei and Racool) :jolteon:
SS Almost Any Ability - Atha vs motherlove - motherlove is amazeballs. Atha can def win this but I'm never gonna predict against mlove he's my bff
SS Balanced Hackmons - Onyx Onix 7 vs Quantum Tesseract - I predict against Onyx Onix and he wins, I predict for him and he loses. I'm just gonna ask QT to break the cycle.
SS Camomons - Meta vs Euphonos - I can't believe I meme Tect in my predicts for last week for posting a song for his winpost and then literally in that same week Euph posts a song in his winpost too AFTER I predict him WTF. Meta would never do this to me
SS Mix and Mega - qways vs Pigeons - Huge fan of what qways has been doing this tour. He's been sick. I want Pigeons to win as well, don't get me wrong, but I think Qways is more likely.
SS NFE - Jett vs S1nn0hC0nfirm3d - one of these people has the better name. I wonder who it could be AHEM
SS STABmons - LBDC vs The Immortal - TI has been on fire lately (he lives in a hot country so there's a non zero chance of this being literal too) and I don't see this fire going out anytime soon.

:spinda: The Spinda Wheels (xavgb and Jordy) - [6][0] - The Based Boomers (The Number Man and Lasen) :noivern:
SS Almost Any Ability - Sabella vs The Number Man - I think Sabella is the better player, and his building weakness is patched up by the dumb bonsai tree. TNM can still defo win, but I see Sabella having this?
SS Balanced Hackmons - xavgb vs Stolen Identity - stresh lost the scheduling battle but I still see him winning this.
SS Camomons - Zesty43 vs Betathunder - dude I was sitting here wondering who I should bold for like 30 seconds and then I noticed this was Camo LOL???
SS Mix and Mega - Fardin vs DerpyBoi - Both of these users have been very strong, I think Fardin has impressed me more?
SS NFE - tlenit vs kythr - Tlenit has won every game so far I don't wanna be sub 51% again :(
SS STABmons - Plas vs Terracotta - I love Plas. Can't predict against the dude

As usual I encourage any and all people who are upset I predicted against them to prove me wrong (or anyone I predicted against regardless) because you all got into this tournament for a reason and it's because you're capable of winning despite what some random who didn't even get into the tour doing predicts says. Good luck everyone!!!

BH Predicts cause I played my game earlier, and I have free time and no one has played yet:

SS Balanced Hackmons - sugarhigh vs A Touch Of Crazy: Sugarhigh is known to bring unconventional teams, which are often extremely hard to prep for. However, in his past two games, Sugarhigh has built more standard esq. teams which feature a more prominent balance / bulky offense build centered around unconventional breakers. We haven't seen sugarhigh bring any crazy HO / weather teams yet, so the question we are all asking our selves is ~when~ he'll bring one of these teams, and could it be against Crazy. On the other hand, this is Crazy's first competitive pokemon match ever, with his only experience of non-ladder matches coming from friendly challenges & a couple room tours. Crazy tends to bring interesting teams as well, and could even be credited for starting the imprisonform Zac-C trend. However, his teams tend to stray more towards conventional builds, often featuring metroxern or fc Zama-C, which might struggle against unconventional builds or teams which often seek to counter these meta pokemon. I predict A Touch of Crazy to win this game because Stresh tried drafting him in every mocc draft this year, which means that Crazy is gonna roll up with a heat team and channel the powers stresh has given him, into winning his first competitive match ever.

SS Balanced Hackmons - Onyx Onix 7 vs Quantum Tesseract: Onyx Onix 7 is known to bring very polarizing teams, often centering around either a niche strat such as baton pass or webs, a hard stall team, or some crazy HO team. This makes prepping for Onyx extremely difficult at times. QT on the other hand is the exact opposite. Many of his teams are often quite formulaic, and can be considered very ~meta~ teams. However, these teams are always extremely solid and tough to break down. This match will revolve around whether Onyx can find a strat to break down one of QT's teams and whether QT can build a solid team which could be resilient at stopping or breaking many on Onyx's shenanigans. I predict Onyx Onix 7 to win because he has two X's in his name and QT has zero (smh get a better username QT).

SS Balanced Hackmons - xavgb vs Stolen Identity: Stresh is currently the undisputed and by a clear landmark, the current best BH8 player. Yolk on the other hand is goated with his 107-1 ladder run, and his other equally impressive runs. Yolk is one of the strongest players I know and definetely has the battling abilites to beat stresh. However, all of Stresh's teams he's brought have been quality, and I'm still not 100% sure if Yolk has a strong enough grasp on the meta to beat Stresh. However, I predict Stolen Identity (Yolk) to win because it must suck not having a name, and he's gotta be salty about that. He's going to channel his inner rage at stresh for having the opportunity to have a username and choosing xavgb (ew, if you're going to choose a username that bad at least put some more X's in there) and absolutely smoke him.

Edit: It was actually a 108-1 run. I sincerely apologize Stolen Identity. It was never my intention to make less of an extremely impressive accomplishment such as going 108-1 in the bh7 ladder.

Last edited:

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
a loser's OMPL BH Review: Week 2
Much less effort this week cause I don't have as much time but I wanted to at least touch on the games.

a loser vs Onyx Onix 7

I really had no clue if I'd be facing stall or fake stall, but I knew for sure that I wanted to bring at least two Taunt users and then a non-choiced breaker with priority. Tums out that Taunt Tapu Fini was just about all I needed though as Onyx brought a stall team that got shredded by Taunt. It was a pretty bad matchup for him and couldn't have gone better to plan for me. Triage Celesteela and Kartana probably could have seen more usage early to make it not drag on but I didn't want to fall into any traps and lose advantage.

xavgb vs PinkDragonTamer

stresh made quick work of his opponent for the second week in a row as PDT forgot to bring a Prankster. Not that it really would have mattered cause moldy setup Kyu-B kills most of them anyway. I think bringing Zekrom was a good choice by PDT but sadly it never got a chance to do anything.

cityscapes vs Quantum Tesseract

For some reason, city was inspired by sugar's Scales Lugia set and decided to bring it. Like I mentioned last week, it would be a decent stop to Xern but QT decided not to bring it this time. The tech with Skill Swap was pretty nice to pick up Poison Heal but other than that Lugia just seems like a momentum drain. I thought Nasty Plot Etern was pretty cool although Scales on it was a little random. It turned out to work pretty well with Choice Band Groudon too and city really didn't have much to deal with that combo.

XxSevagxX vs monsareeasy

This game went on much longer than it needed to but it looked like sevag was playing a little carefully kinda like a did, so I can't blame him really. But monsareeasy's lack of Spectral Thief really stuck out here cause even Ice Scales Zama-C wasn't enough to stop QD Sap Xern. Prankster Yveltal was a very weird choice seeing how it has really dropped off in viability lately.

I'll have a better post for next week!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)