Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

I have a question about Type matchups.

We know that several matchups are based on folklore and legends, most I could find/grasp, but there's one that's eluding me.

Why is Psychic supereffective against Poison?

We know that several matchups are based on folklore and legends, most I could find/grasp, but there's one that's eluding me.

My best guess is that some people think people with strong willpower are significantly better at fighting and curing their own diseases.

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

According to Tripl-L, it could have something to do with Psychic-type Pokémon using Telekinesis to burst the sac-shaped organ(s) in which toxic chemicals (such as enzymes in the pancreas for example) are stored inside the bodies of Poison-type Pokémon, causing them to poison themselves from the inside before their respective antibodies can react to prevent the posion from seeping into the mechanism even further. In the same vein, he argues that Telekinesis can also disrupt the gas that forms Gastly, Haunter and Gengar for example. (Source)

I personally think that it is a nice additional idea that can be added to the common theory that, in some esoteric Eastern medical circles, a strong mind (psyche) can withstand poisons inside the body.

Last edited:
To add a possible third theory; I think it's simply to do with Gen 1's tendency to equate psychic powers to intelligence. Psychic = intelligence = medical knowhow = ability to beat poisons and toxins. You got a snake bite? Get medical attention soon enough and it should be fine.

So a friend borrowed me his GBA with Pokemon Emerald so I could trade over some rare Pokemon from my Pokemon XD and Colosseum games as well as get some lv50 Pokemon for the Colosseum Matches.
So I caught a bunch of Oddish and while I checked the natures, I discovered that the Pokedex number of one of the Oddish is in a golden color which normally is an indicator for a shiny Pokmeon but instead being green its just a brighter color from a regular Oddish. Does anyone know if that is some kind of glitch or something?

Edit: I used evolved it to see if there is a difference but the only difference is the brightness from a normal Gloom and Vileplume.

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So a friend borrowed me his GBA with Pokemon Emerald so I could trade over some rare Pokemon from my Pokemon XD and Colosseum games as well as get some lv50 Pokemon for the Colosseum Matches.
So I caught a bunch of Oddish and while I checked the natures, I discovered that the Pokedex number of one of the Oddish is in a golden color which normally is an indicator for a shiny Pokmeon but instead being green its just a brighter color from a regular Oddish. Does anyone know if that is some kind of glitch or something?

Edit: I used evolved it to see if there is a difference but the only difference is the brightness from a normal Gloom and Vileplume.
This is not a bug or a glitch, it simply means that your Oddish is a shiny Pokémon.

Unlike in FRLG, the RSE games have no shiny star(s) on a Pokémon's summary screen that would serve as some sort of indicator.
However, there are two elements on a Pokémon's summary screen that can help you identify a shiny Pokémon in these games:
  1. A shiny Pokémon's Pokédex number is displayed in gold, as opposed to the white one of its non-shiny counterpart.
  2. The background behind a shiny Pokémon is a lot brighter (white) than the one behind its non-shiny counterpart (grey).
I hope that you found this helpful.

Last edited:
This is not a bug or a glitch, it simply means that your Oddish is a shiny Pokémon.

Unlike in FRLG, the RSE games have no shiny star(s) on a Pokémon's summary screen that would serve as some sort of indicator.
However, there are two elements on a Pokémon's summary screen that can help you identify a shiny Pokémon in these games:
  1. A shiny Pokémon's Pokédex number is displayed in gold, as opposed to the white one of its non-shiny counterpart.
  2. The background behind a shiny Pokémon is a lot brighter (white) than the one behind its non-shiny counterpart (grey).
I hope that you found this helpful.
thanks, Max. It appears to really be shiny but because of the lighting in my room it looks almost identical to a regular oddish.

Edit: Definitively Shiny. Traded to Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness which I should have done from the start.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
While I feel the answer that Max. Optimizer gave to why Psychic is super effective to poison, at the same time I feel the additional theories that sumwun and Kurona highlights an issue I have with the Type match-ups sometimes: some of the explanations you need to twist and turn to get to and even then they sometimes don't line up due to context.

Poison resisting Fighting: This one even I have a hard time thinking of a concrete theory to. The basic thought behind it is that "poison would weaken/corrupt the Fighting-types muscle strength of chi energy". But that would imply the Pokemon using the Fighting-type move was already poisoned or somehow the Poison-type emits a "poison aura" that once you get close to it, if you're using a Fighting-type move, it'll be weaken. Also why wouldn't Normal-types be effected by? Somehow a Pokemon more trained in controlling their muscles and chi energy is MORE susceptible to getting it weakened compared to an untrained Normal-type? And there's nothing about the Poison-type that would indicate it's somehow able to take punches and kicks to the face better than any other Pokemon. Even if they have poison on their skin/scales it wouldn't act fast enough to weaken the attack as soon as contact was made (and inertia alone would bypass that); maybe acid but that's very loosely tied to Poison-types.

Flying super effective to Bug: "Birds eat bugs". Except not all Flying-types are birds. And even if it is the bird hitting them with wind isn't eating them. And if eating them is the only justification then wouldn't that be a Pokemon-by-Pokemon case depending if it's based on an animal that's an insectivore? Only other theory I could think is that, due to Bugs having an exoskeleton instead of a normal skeleton makes them more rigid so a strong wind could more easily knock them about helplessly. But if that's the case why isn't Flying super effective against Rock, rocks are known to be eroded by wind just as much by water and plant life. "Bugs have squishy insides and rocks don't". Fair enough, but this gets my point across that we had to go through this whole chain of logic to get to that point. Flying is super effective against Bug because the exoskeletons make their bodies too rigid to avoid being flung about by the wind energy which would cause their squishy insides to be more easily injured.

Electric resisting Flying: Okay, sure, lightning may be uneffected by winds, but once again we're dealing with a living creature that just shoots electricity, they're not made of the stuff (usually). And I couldn't find anything that electricity could be used to disperse wind, anytime I type in "wind" and "electricity" it comes up with stuff about wind power. Okay, let's figure it out for ourselves then. We know electricity superheats air because that's what creates thunder, it's the sound of the air molecules rapidly expanding out due to all the heat. So I guess if the Electric-type is quick enough they could disperse the winds by superheating the air with their electricity ripping apart the wind current. But this would mean every time a Flying-type move is used on an Electric-type they instinctively discharge fast enough to weaken the damage from the wind energy. But then we get to another issue: what about all the physical Flying-type moves? Pecking, attacking with wings or acrobatics, do we just assume that they're also surrounded by a veil of wind energy which what makes them stronger than normal but Electricity also disperses that veil?

Flying immune to Ground: A classic example since it the reasoning only makes sense for 1. Flying-types that aren't touching the ground and 2. the moves Earthquake, Magnitude, Bulldoze, & Fissure. But otherwise this doesn't make sense. We have plenty of Flying-types who don't fly (Farfetch'd, Dodrio family) or stay mostly on the ground (many early stage bird Pokemon, Scyther) they'd surely be effected by the ground shaking. And we have plenty of Ground-type moves where the user is either throwing ground or just launching an attack that's infused with ground energy (there's even some moves which is ground energy blasting up from below). And it can't be just that Flying-types are just that good at dodging because they're weak against Rock-type moves which is the same idea but rocks are harder than packed dirt I guess (though that doesn't explain the bone-based ground-type moves).

Bug resisting Ground: Like, I get many bugs make their home in dirt, but would that really protect them if an earthquake causes the dirt to close up around them? Or a hard object hits them charged with ground energy? A Normal-type move hitting Bug causes neutral damage, but the bone moves, Drill Run, High Horsepower, or Stomping Tantrum somehow doesn't do much more damage because ground energy. Like, what is even with the ground energy the Bug-type is resisting even? If the move uses physical dirt, fine, bugs know how to break that apart; but these are just normal attacks infused with the energy from the earth, if you take neutral damage from Normal-types moves it's either only going to hurt as much or even more. I guess you can say their exoskeletons just have a special anti-ground property to it but that's just giving up at that point.

Grass resisting Ground: Earthquakes are just as devastating to plants as they are to everything else. And a plant swallowed up by the earth is going to die without the sun to get energy to do photosynthesis. Plants may root themselves to the earth and in some way erode them, but that only means when the earth those roots are spread in start shifting they're more susceptible. "Maybe the Grass-type roots are keeping the ground together". I was being metaphorical, unless the Grass-type is physically connected to the user, this is about a Ground-type move being used on plant creature. How does the plan creature take less damage from hardened earth, bone, or just a move charged with earth energy?

Fighting resisting Rock: I can SORT of see the reasoning, but still it's either a hard material or another form of earth energy being used on the Fighting-type. Sometimes well-tuned muscles aren't good enough to shatter it... because then you gotta ask why Ground-type moves hurt it as they've sort of established ground is softer than Rock. OR how an untrained in martial combat Normal-type does neutral damage.

Fighting/Flying/Poison/Ghost/Fairy resisting Bug: Like, why? What about a bug bite/sting or "bug energy" are these Types able to be taking less damage from yet other Types they receive neutral damage from? For Fighting and Poison you can read some of my thoughts above about them resisting Rock and Fighting, respectively, and apply the same arguments with Bug. Flying creature may predicate on bugs and Fairy are higher in the natural order but does that mean their bites and stings hurt less to them? And Ghost has the opposite problem, they're immune to Normal and Fighting for good reasons yet bug energy somehow make their physical moves make contact?

Flying/Poison/Bug resisting Grass: Once again, just because flying creatures and bugs eat plant matter doesn't mean they're exactly resilient to tricks they may have. Some plant species have grown thorns to make it difficult for flying creatures and bugs to feast on them. Heck, carnivorous plants EAT flying creatures and bugs. Focusing on bugs, Grass-types also have the fungus grouped with them and there's plenty of fungus that take control of bugs minds. As for Poison, sure they hurt plantlife but at the same time plantlife can have what's needed to make medicine to cure poisons, so it's a sort of two-way street.

Grass resisting Electric: I get the idea, plant life can have electricity flow through them, down their roots, and harmlessly absorb it into the ground. But let's not pretend that lightning has caused not forest fires or split a tree in half. It's still superheated plasma which causes the air around it to expand happening all in a microsecond, that's gonna cause some damage.

And that's not getting into why certain Types aren't effected by Types logic says they should. But, the thing is, I did actually give an all-encompassing reason but I initially turned it down for being lazy. With Bug resisting Ground I suggested that there's something about Bug-types which makes them anti-Ground, and that's what many of these probably come down to in the end. Bug-types exoskeletons just absorb Ground-energy, Poison-types have a poison aura that break down the impact of Fighting moves, Electric-types have this electric aura which dispersed Flying-energy, Grass-types have the molecular structure which lets Electric moves flow through their body with less damage, etc.. And in the end it also has to do with Type balancing, and we've even seen them change their minds on a few things.

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this. I haven't really played much of any Pokemon games past Gen 5. I have some Gen 6 and 7 games on the 3DS and have played them a little, but haven't done any breeding nor have I completed any of the stories in the games (at least not yet, might finish them at some point).

I did a lot of RNG manipulation in Gens 4 and 5 and could comfortably obtain max IV shinies with it, as well as near max/max IV legendaries. As far as I understand, Gen 6 has no way of doing RNG abuse, right? I thought that the same goes for Gen 7, but apparently it has some form of RNG abuse. I have a couple of questions regarding Gen 7 RNG.

How difficult is it to do when compared to Gen 4-5?

Can you obtain 6x 31 IV legendaries / gift / event Pokemon with it, like with Gens 4-5?

Is it really worth it to use Egg RNG in Gen 7? From what I've read, they changed the breeding mechanics in Gen 6 so that you can pass the Nature of either parent with an Everstone 100% of the time, and with Destiny Knot, 5 IVs from the parents. I have a lot of RNG'd 6x 31 IV Dittos with different Natures, as well as Dittos with Hidden Power IVs, so should I just use those if I want to breed 6x 31 IV Pokemon relatively fast?

The reason why I would prefer to breed max IV Pokemon normally is, because learning to RNG in the previous Gens was quite difficult and tedious and seems like the newer Gens have a lot of QoL improvements done to breeding. It's also been years since I've done any RNG abuse in Gens 4-5 and even though it was easy after learning to do it, I probably couldn't do it now without practicing first and refreshing my memory quite a bit. And from what I remember, it definitely wasn't the most pleasant thing to do. (Neither is soft-resetting or breeding for that matter. Actually, the overly tedious methods to obtain flawless or near-flawless Pokemon with the correct Natures/Abilites etc was one of the main reasons why I quit playing the newer Pokemon games in the first place...)

Last edited:

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this. I haven't really played much of any Pokemon games past Gen 5. I have some Gen 6 and 7 games on the 3DS and have played them a little, but haven't done any breeding nor have I completed any of the stories in the games (at least not yet, might finish them at some point).
This thread in the Wi-Fi sub-forum is generally a good place to ask RNG abuse-related questions.
The renowned RNG abusers _Dragon and Drakero have compiled a lot of helpful RNG abuse guides on their New Order of Breeding forums.
YouTube also has a wide variety of guides that you can watch and pause if needed.

I did a lot of RNG manipulation in Gens 4 and 5 and could comfortably obtain max IV shinies with it, as well as near max/max IV legendaries. As far as I understand, Gen 6 has no way of doing RNG abuse, right? I thought that the same goes for Gen 7, but apparently it has some form of RNG abuse.
RNG abuse is possible in both generation 6 and 7.

How difficult is it to do when compared to Gen 4-5?
Both, manual RNG abuse and tool-assisted RNG abuse, are possible.
However, generation 6 RNG abuse cannot be done manually and requires you to modify your console and installing tools.
I wouldn't say that it's "difficult" per se, but the console modification setup can be a bit tricky if you're not techy (like me).
Fellow Wi-Fier and good friend Lego helped me set up my old 3DS for egg RNG abuse 2 years ago.

Can you obtain 6x 31 IV legendaries / gift / event Pokemon with it, like with Gens 4-5?
Absolutely.

Is it really worth it to use Egg RNG in Gen 7? From what I've read, they changed the breeding mechanics in Gen 6 so that you can pass the Nature of either parent with an Everstone 100% of the time, and with Destiny Knot, 5 IVs from the parents. I have a lot of RNG'd 6x 31 IV Dittos with different Natures, as well as Dittos with Hidden Power IVs, so should I just use those if I want to breed 6x 31 IV Pokemon relatively fast?
Breeding/Hatching RNG abuse is the easiest form of RNG. Once you find your egg seed you'll just have to advance the frames by accepting and rejecting eggs at the daycare lady until you get the egg that you want. You can use a program to help you with finding the right frames.

Last edited:

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello!

I've been asked today "if Porygon is made of code, how does it lives outside of a computer?"

But I could not answer, can you help me

Hello!

I've been asked today "if Porygon is made of code, how does it lives outside of a computer?"

I really don't mean to sound trollish, but I feel like the true simple answer to this question is "cuz pokemon", or in other words, it's a handwaved magical world that cannot be explained. I reviewed Bulbapedia but there didn't seem to be more explanation other than that Porygon was built with DRM to prevent it from being copied electronically.

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
Hello!

The moves Conversion and Conversion 2 suggest that "conversion" is the de facto leitmotif when it comes to Porygon.
According to its Pokédex entry in Pokémon Ruby, "Porygon is capable of reverting itself entirely back to program data and entering cyberspace".
This implies that Porygon can alternate between both, a physical forme and virtual forme.

Thanks for the answers! Looks like I won't be doing any Gen 6 RNG abuse, as I don't want to mod my console. Luckily though, the breeding mechanics have been vastly improved from the previous Gens.

I noticed that Smogon has a really nice RNG guide for the Egg RNG, but not one for catching legendaries or receiving Mystery Gift Pokemon. Why is that? Are they coming at some point possibly? The site that you linked seems to only have guides in Italian. I tried to look up from other places, but didn't really find anything.

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
I noticed that Smogon has a really nice RNG guide for the Egg RNG, but not one for catching legendaries or receiving Mystery Gift Pokemon. Why is that? Are they coming at some point possibly? The site that you linked seems to only have guides in Italian. I tried to look up from other places, but didn't really find anything.
There actually is an on-site guide about stationary RNG in the making. I don't know when it will be published though.
I suggest using the help thread on Smogon and the guides from the Italian site. Pretty much everyone I know uses them.

I don't know if it's a browser thing (I'm using Chrome), but I get the option to translate the site content into English.
Maybe you could use that in the meantime?

Despite what the warning says, the stationary RNG guide can be translated that way. (I checked it myself just now.)

Does anyone know if when I battle in the Battle Factory where I have 2 options between using lv50 and lv100, that if I love at 1 of the 2, would that reset my records or affect the kind of rental Pokemon offered?

Edit: Nvm, I beat the battle factory

Last edited:
I used im a blisy's video guides for retail RNG (i.e., no mods necessary) in gen 7. He also has videos for retail RNG in some earlier gens as well. There is one video for gen 6 that might be retail RNG (if I recall correctly), but it's apparently so time consuming that it is seldom worth it.

I need some help and I don't know where else to ask. I was facing the Battle Tree and managed to get to 47 in Singles when got at my train station and took a break. When the game was saving, the black screen of death showed up and now my SD card isn't being recognized anymore by either the 3DS or my PC. I'm desperate because I have my living dex in-game, and several Pokémon there are with me since my Sapphire, since 2003.

Does anyone know how to solve this issue? I do have several Pokémon left on Bank but most of my competitive parents, all my Unowns, Vivillons, Deerlings and shinies are in the game.

I'm sad for all the other saves I lost but none more than this. I can rebuild a city in ACNL, I can do anything else with the other games but if I can't recover my Pokémon, I'll cry.

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
How do I remove a VIP from my Festival Plaza?
  1. Go to the Festival Plaza
  2. Click on the small yellow button on the bottom of your screen
  3. Click the arrow pointing to the right in order to switch from the "Guest List" to the "VIP List"
  4. Now scroll until you find the VIP that you want to remove and press "A"
  5. Now pick the "Remove from VIP List" option and voilà!

In the Smogon GS Dex, Blissey's set has the move Heal Bell. However, the only two Pokémon who learns this move are Celebi and Milktank. Milktank is in a different Egg group as Chansey. How do you get a Chansey to know that move?

This is not a problem for RS and beyond since Skitty is in the same Egg group.

In the Smogon GS Dex, Blissey's set has the move Heal Bell. However, the only two Pokémon who learns this move are Celebi and Milktank. Milktank is in a different Egg group as Chansey. How do you get a Chansey to know that move?

This is not a problem for RS and beyond since Skitty is in the same Egg group.
Have a Smeargle Sketch Heal Bell from a Miltank/Celebi, breed that Smeargle (field egg group) with a Snubbull/Granbull (field/fairy egg groups) and breed that male offspring with Chansey (fairy egg group).

question about breeding and Eggmoves as I am grinding through the older generations of games, are there any Pokemon parents and egg moves that I should be on the lookout for as far as vital competitive moves?

Also are there any special Pokemon from outside the core series games (ones that can be traded to the core series) that I should look out for? Examples Shadow Wheezing and Surfing Pikachu.

Tl;dr.
List some important Pokemon Eggmove parents for comp
List unique Pokemon that can be traded over from non-core
Please include what game they come from!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)