Pokemon Black and White (SPECULATIONS ALLOWED HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That realtive speed thing was more or less a bug anyways. xD

I agree with Jonathan that from all we now about trible battles we probably should conclude that damage calcs are the same as in double battles. The main difference is that the middle pokemon should be able to hit everything 75%. But I can also imagine another scenario: The main innovations of triple battles actually is that positioning counts. Your pokemon on the far right cannot hit the opponents rightmost pokemon and vice versa. Thus, it could also be the case, that multiple target moves use different percentages for different position. For example: You hit the pokemon right in front of you 100% and the pokemon next to it as well as your partner 75% or something.
It's quite interesting when you consider that with Triple Battles, positioning becomes part of the metagame (the same way the standard metagame has lead and non-lead). Let's think about it:
Running a fast, hard sweeper in the middle seems obvious from what we know. Nothing can last when it's being attacked by three pokemon. Also, that means that supporters and coverage-attackers are on the side. At first thought, we shouldn't expect tanks because even doubles doesn't have much place for them and triples is even faster. But then, for a pokemon on the wings it might always be a better idea to use helping hand then to attack itself (in contrast to doubles, where helping hand can at most achieve the same as attacking twice with the same attack). Possibly, there'll be wingmen staying the whole battle using helping hand and other support stuff.
But whatever, the idea is that once people tend to have their left pokemon supporting and their right pokemon aiding in offense, you can play an "anti-lead" setup by having them switch places. That's quite interesting IMO.

I think there's going to be so many Fliers/Levitators in Triple Battles that Meguroko will have a hard time killing things with Earthquake. Also, I think someone calculated its Base Stats and its speed was really low so it will have a hard time outspeeding things even with a Choice Scarf.
Uhhh, I don't think Meguroko's stats have ever been shown...

ever...

but seeing as how it's a quadropedal crocodile with stumpy little legs, and a bipedal one was slow enough, yeah, it probably will be slow as hell.

ever...

but seeing as how it's a quadropedal crocodile with stumpy little legs, and a bipedal one was slow enough, yeah, it probably will be slow as hell.
This doesn't make any sense to me, quadrupedal animals are usually much faster than bipedal. All the big cats, horses (zebras too), canines, and most fish (their fins are considered limbs) are much faster than primates. Hell, the ostrich can only run ~45 mph, while cheetahs can run up to 75 mph, and a lioness can reach 50 mph. The latter of which is one of the largest feline. In general, bipedal is going to be slower than quadrupedal. I'd expect Meguroko's evolution's base speed to be higher than Feraligatr, which means it'll be fairly swift (80+ base speed is actually quite fast, even in OU). Obviously stumpy legs don't mean anything, since Mamoswine reaches 80 base speed and its legs are tiny.

Yeah but Cheetah's legs are long and not super ridiculously stumpy like Meguroko's... but I guess Totodile's legs are stumpy too... and I'm pretty sure Feraligatr's dex entry says he moves faster on all fours so I guess...

Disregard that I suck pokeblocks

This doesn't make any sense to me, quadrupedal animals are usually much faster than bipedal. All the big cats, horses (zebras too), canines, and most fish (their fins are considered limbs) are much faster than primates. Hell, the ostrich can only run ~45 mph, while cheetahs can run up to 75 mph, and a lioness can reach 50 mph. The latter of which is one of the largest feline. In general, bipedal is going to be slower than quadrupedal. I'd expect Meguroko's evolution's base speed to be higher than Feraligatr, which means it'll be fairly swift (80+ base speed is actually quite fast, even in OU). Obviously stumpy legs don't mean anything, since Mamoswine reaches 80 base speed and its legs are tiny.
Wait... Mamoswine has legs? O_o

and you stop talking when you notice hippo, torterra and friends exist. dogs/cats/etc are fast for obvious reasons, they legs are not smaller then they fucking noses and they bodys are not heavy either. when you look at the crocodile you can notice right away he wont be any speed racer.

and you stop talking when you notice hippo, torterra and friends exist. dogs/cats/etc are fast for obvious reasons, they legs are not smaller then they fucking noses and they bodys are not heavy either. when you look at the crocodile you can notice right away he wont be any speed racer.
The hilarity lies in the fact that he has a torterra avatar.

ever...

A crocodile's Land speed can reach 40Mph they are pretty fast on land they just cant turn well so they run in straight lines.

Woah really? Jesus that's pretty fucking fast <___<

Meguroko for top tier.

Though Sandstreamer (Down there V) has a good point. If they can't turn well, they probably have pretty shitty reaction speed...

And then you realize that the speed stat does not correspond to running speed but stands for reaction speed.

A crocodile's Land speed can reach 40Mph they are pretty fast on land they just cant turn well so they run in straight lines.
Ninja'd.

Crocodiles are definitely NOT slow animals. But knowing GF they might make it slow. Feraligatr's dex entry indicates that it's fast as hell, but of course we don't get to see that.

More attack and more HP is alot to ask for, take a good look at Hippowdon, 420 max HP and 355 max attack, if you pack Meguroko's supposedly super awesome ability on top of that, he'd be deadly even if his defense itself were worse. (Though the dark type isn't going to help him defensively, fighting weaknesses suck)

And then you realize that the speed stat does not correspond to running speed but stands for reaction speed.
Reaction speed? No, I don't think Pokemon stats are based on anything rational, but only point of that post was to show how his rationale was incorrect even if they did. Luxray only has 70 base speed yet something like Heatran has 77? It's not just about the species, a lot of it has to do with balance; that is, where the Pokemon is caught, its other stats, etc. As demonstrated, a crocodile can move quickly on land. Not only that, but the crocodile is known for acceleration extremely quickly underwater and getting to its prey 5+ meters away before they run off. With this knowledge, you can assume a crocodile would typically have a higher base speed than Feraligatr (who inexplicably has a higher defense stat than speed or attack).

And Torterra is an earth tortoise, of course it moves slow (it has a tree and mountains on its back ffs). Hippowdon lives in sand, his feet are made for sitting on top of sand, not for running along it. If you notice, Meguroko's legs are angled, which means it has joints. The general shape isn't much different from a flea or a cheetah, both of which can travel great distances quickly.

if the last part was about fera then i got 2 things to say: first is that crocodiles got hard skin and that explain the high defense, second on the same note is that fera base atack is 105, and its base defense is 100. the defense is clearly lower then the atack. if was not about fera then sorry. i do get your point though, it makes sense....or would if we were NOT talking about gamefreak.

if the last part was about fera then i got 2 things to say: first is that crocodiles got hard skin and that explain the high defense, second on the same note is that fera base atack is 105, and its base defense is 100. the defense is clearly lower then the atack. if was not about fera then sorry. i do get your point though, it makes sense....or would if we were NOT talking about gamefreak.
Oh for some reason I thought it was the other way around (105 defense). While crocodiles have hard skin, they are generally very quick and powerful. I would have expected it to have 110 attack, 90 speed, and 83 defense. Not that it matters, pointless speculation. I really don't care if Meguroko is viable in OU or not, his ability is going to rip things apart in the game.

@ sanjay: Many insects have their legs to the side, as well as the obvious crocodile family.

Greetins everyone! Yes, it is hard to tell which pokemon will have a high base speed stat and who won't. pokemon games try to refer to real life animals but more to often they mess up, some examples: ursaring smaller than normal bears, donphan who's supposed to be an elephant but is also very small, let's not even talk about luxray's base speed stat(did that on purpose so he won't be better than electivire, because sure enough his 2 abilities are better). On another note, sorry about the (Brave heart) ability thing I said earlier, I remember seeing that some where(maybe it was a missprint like the attack names x-scissor and scissor cross in the nintendo guide for 4th gen). I was also wondering why I saw an official pokemon back&white version photo with an apparent luvdisc evolution on Serebii...come on GAME FREAK! Luvdisc evolution? however, this means we can deduce to see a Sableye evolution(perfect!) possibly a Mawile evolution. or hopefully another level for Sharpedo! after all, as everyone should know that Garchomp is derived from it(evil crunching shark with star on nose,high attack,speed, and dark eyes). Imagine everyone, SHARTERROR! Base 135 attack, 110 sp.atk, and 110 speed. water/dark type, who cares about it's base defenses and hp, talk about the new cool looking Water sweeper who can end Infernape and any psychic pokemon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)