Pokemon VGC 2010 DATES / rules announced for the US!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any random Pokémon with Blizzard does shitloads of damage to your team, that's what I wanted to say. Also, an Abomasnow under Trick Room outspeeds all of your guys. Hooh isnt too hard to take care of. Anyway, nice team, I guess.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey guys if you want team advice you can feel free to make an RMT. This is not a team help thread.

Haku your team lacks Protect. Your carrying explosion which could be useless if your only left with ho-oh and shiftry. Recover moves dont work out well in vgc play.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
Hey guys if you want team advice you can feel free to make an RMT. This is not a team help thread.
Well, what else is there to discuss right now? Possible locations for the regional qualifiers? Unless someone familiar with the VGC stops by the RMT forum, teams for it will largely be ignored. It's better to ask here, in a frequently checked forum, where we know what we're talking about.

It is true that RMTs should be taken to RMT but I feel like because the double battling or VGC '10 battling is not as nearly established in smogon as some of the other metas so the "RMTs" being posted in this thread is actually quite a allowable thing to do. More than the standard RMTs, because people are really asking (when they post their "teams") for help on their teams and strategies with VERY flawed/lacking info/strategies, I think it's appropriate to post those here than RMT as these teams aren't complete enough for RMT section to handle.

P.S. I always felt like we should get a subforum (like UU and UBER sections in the Stark Mt.) for Double battling in General. I feel like we could really increase the number of double battlers and form some effective strategies for the possible metagame. What do you guys think?

@lordkira-Your P.S. made my day. I feel no site really helps you out with double battling. Yes there is Skarmbliss, but barely anyone uses that and isn't nearly as popular as smogon. Very few people use this VGC forum, it would be cool to see what outsiders think of these new ideas considering no one really uses ubers to a certain extent. The thought of ubers in competitive play could be appealing to other smogonites. Lets spread the word!

I always felt like we should get a subforum (like UU and UBER sections in the Stark Mt.) for Double battling in General. I feel like we could really increase the number of double battlers and form some effective strategies for the possible metagame. What do you guys think?
I agree. It is a very competitive enviroment, so much so that TPCi has it as their main battling format.

Seeing how right now there is only one forum that specializes in double battles (Skarmbliss.com) it would be nice to see how the populous of smogon would take to the format. You never know, if more smogon players took to VGC's it would increase the likelihood of getting bigger and more VGC events around the world.

quick question.....why hasn't anyone started a thread discussing 2010 VCG teams and strategies? I realize that some teams are meant to be a surprise, and we do not know the official rules yet, but still......I think it would be a great place to talk just teams/natures/moves/ev's and you could post links to battles, stuff like that....just a thought

I posted this like a month ago!!!!!! I agree, we really should start talking strategies...

quick question.....why hasn't anyone started a thread discussing 2010 VCG teams and strategies? I realize that some teams are meant to be a surprise, and we do not know the official rules yet, but still......I think it would be a great place to talk just teams/natures/moves/ev's and you could post links to battles, stuff like that....just a thought

I posted this like a month ago!!!!!! I agree, we really should start talking strategies...
Well...I feel like we are in need of a subforum or something greater than just a single thread as discussing a whole meta in just one single thread is insufficient...especially when we are at a point where the meta isn't even known/set.

I agree. It is a very competitive enviroment, so much so that TPCi has it as their main battling format.

Seeing how right now there is only one forum that specializes in double battles (Skarmbliss.com) it would be nice to see how the populous of smogon would take to the format. You never know, if more smogon players took to VGC's it would increase the likelihood of getting bigger and more VGC events around the world.
Yeah, I agree.
I feel like the meta has to grow enough and only way to do so is to first make an official subforum in the popular smogon so that more people can get interested in the meta while we also reveal and create strategies and movesets (while skarmbliss has a lot of them...they need to be fixed accordingly to 2010 and be more informative atm).

@lordkira-Your P.S. made my day. I feel no site really helps you out with double battling. Yes there is Skarmbliss, but barely anyone uses that and isn't nearly as popular as smogon. Very few people use this VGC forum, it would be cool to see what outsiders think of these new ideas considering no one really uses ubers to a certain extent. The thought of ubers in competitive play could be appealing to other smogonites. Lets spread the word!
SkarmBliss...has a lot of very good players but that's it.
There just aren't enough players (size of the current "meta" doesn't help either) to make the site too useful community. I've been in going back and forth between Korea and Japan for the last 6 months and when I came back here...I realized just how incredibly insignificant the double battling meta is (back in those two, it was actually hard to find the singles while VGC tournies of local and "official" were being held pretty much everywhere else with huge numbers crowds and contestants). It was just an idea but yeah it would b nice if we could get a Double Battling subforum :(

I thought that's what we were already doing? Though, we wouldn't need scattered threads if we had a subforum. ;)
Yeah, of course the threads should be appropriately made so that the forum wouldn't flood with a sentence worthy answers. Well, who am I kiding I'm not a mod, I just want the mod/etc/wutevs to help us form and shape this metagame that has the potential to be as great or even greater than the singles. Furthermore, I believe this will help us competitively fare much better against our Eastern hemi competitors. :D

What's the viability of wobbuffet? I've noticed an insane about of switching and double weather teams. I feel Mr. Wobbs could ruin strategies strictly because of Shadow Tag. Can he dish the counter moves in doubles to make him worthwhile or would he just go down quickly because of being double teamed?

Wobbuffet is a no no. Lets say your playing mewtwo carrying taunt, wobbuffet is a goner and a waste of space.
Damn. I'm attempting to come up with a better team idea... mine was working great on PBR three days ago but the Kyogre + Abomasnow thing has it shut down--especially the dude that scarfed his palkia with thunder and blizzard. I had been running a sweet team with an adamant rock polish groudon that outsped scarfers, but he never seemed to do enough damage with earthquake even with STAB, 150 base attack, benefiting nature and 252 EVs. Heh.

Groudon is really a powerful pokemon yep, though in double battles, I see him more as a support pokemon than a sweeper/offensive pokemon like Palkia. Usually, more like always, I avoid using moves like rock polish...as it can be the end of me often times (in double battles, the situation can, at worst, allow your groudon to get hit twice, or giving up two turns in terms of singles, which is...horrible). In doubles, I would say the meta is not based around speed as it is in singles but more of team synergy and pokemon combinations, though the metagame is really much quicker than the singles lol.

Haku your team lacks Protect. Your carrying explosion which could be useless if your only left with ho-oh and shiftry. Recover moves dont work out well in vgc play.
i know it sounds weird but Roost does work in VGC play you guys have to try it. also that wasnt my team it was only an idea.

mmmm...well the only pokemon I've used roost on was really Lugia.
never really likedusing roost or really stalling in the VGC meta...
Hmmm

Roost is nice on Ho-Oh because It gets rid of his 4x Rock Slide Weakness for a 2x weakness and makes him resist Blizzard, Ice Beam, and not weak to Thunder. The only real downside is an added EQ and Earth Power weakness.

I'm not going to post any ideas or anything yet, but wouldn't a combo of Jumpluff and Ludicolo work well on an anti weather team?

They should update Skarmbliss more often. I like their pokemon movesets. They still have a lot of pokemon they didn't cover yet and that are very important to the vgc

EDIT: Does anyone know the ev investment for a rain dance infernape and the correct moveset? Thankss

Groudon is really a powerful pokemon yep, though in double battles, I see him more as a support pokemon than a sweeper/offensive pokemon like Palkia. Usually, more like always, I avoid using moves like rock polish...as it can be the end of me often times (in double battles, the situation can, at worst, allow your groudon to get hit twice, or giving up two turns in terms of singles, which is...horrible). In doubles, I would say the meta is not based around speed as it is in singles but more of team synergy and pokemon combinations, though the metagame is really much quicker than the singles lol.
I had careful Togekiss follow me support so getting the rock polish off was cake since i was drawing all the fake outs and such in. Some teams I swept like it was my job since my third was a scarfed Zapdos with discharge and heat wave. I just can never top the overpopulation of Hail+Rain Teams.

Any counter ideas for these?

Didn't get to test it yet but how would something like this work?

Groudon @ Iron Ball
Nature: Brave
~Earthquake
~Rock Slide
~Fling
~Protect

Cresselia @ Lum Berry
Nature: Relaxed / Sassy
~Grass Knot / Ice Beam
~Helping Hand
~Light Screen
~Trick Room

The leads. Cresselia sets up TR and uses Helping Hand and Light Screen to support Groudon. If I run into Mewtwo I Fling + Protect first turn to prevent the Taunt then set up TR after Mewtwos dead. Lum on Cresselia for ScarfVoid Smeargle so I can get up the TR and kill it after that.

Rayquaza @ Focus Sash
Nature: Quiet
~Draco Meteor
~Fire Blast / Earth Power
~Energy Ball / ExtremeSpeed
~Protect

Weather killer / Special sweeper and doesn't get hit by EQ...so yeah.

Metagross @ Occa Berry
Nature: Brave
~Meteor Mash
~Bullet Punch
~Hammer Arm
~Protect

Abomasnow check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)