Serious Relationships and Sex Ed Thread

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Regarding distance, my wife and I lived 4 hours apart when we first met, and I didn't move closer to her until we'd been together almost two years. We even got engaged long before I moved up there. Distance is not ideal, but it forces couples to learn to communicate and develop their relationship without constant physical contact, which in a way can be healthy, especially in relationships that are sexually driven. If you cannot see each other all the time, sex cannot become the focal point of your relationship and you're forced to really get to know each other through talking, which is a great thing when a lifelong commitment is your goal from dating.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Regarding distance, my wife and I lived 4 hours apart when we first met, and I didn't move closer to her until we'd been together almost two years. We even got engaged long before I moved up there. Distance is not ideal, but it forces couples to learn to communicate and develop their relationship without constant physical contact, which in a way can be healthy, especially in relationships that are sexually driven. If you cannot see each other all the time, sex cannot become the focal point of your relationship and you're forced to really get to know each other through talking, which is a great thing when a lifelong commitment is your goal from dating.
this, this, a billion times this omg WB you are fucking good at this

That being said WB, long distance isn't always a good thing. But it's manageable (source: was in 6 month LDR) and yea WB said everything I was supposed to.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
ok normally I don't try to talk about myself too much but I'm still really hurting over all this love fiasco.

I bumped into him today and I knew I would and ever since then it's jst an emotional turmoil inside me. I'll never understand how he could just let go of me so easily but I've come to peace with that.

What I'm troubled about is just how long will it take me to get over someone? It doesn't hurt anymore, but I'm tired of this sadness that just erupts inside of me randomly. It's been months and I just want to move on but I don't know how, nor do I know how long will it take.

Some people just go through the "forgetting about ex" process randomly but are fortunately mentally healthy and stable (i.e. they don't treat people as sex toys and detach themselves emotionally and/or do drugs/self abuse). Long answer short it will take awhile, as it should. Here are some steps that were learned the hard way, hopefully nobody has to suffer longer than they should:

1. You got to understand that attraction is a sum game, and natural attributes (height, color, voice, etc.) score big. If you score big on the parts where you can change (personality, social status, hobbies, etc.) but aren't just the type they are attracted to naturally (I'm using that word very loosely), you will always play catch up. You shouldn't, it's supposed to be stress free and self rewarding experience.

This is really one of the right times to use "it's not me it's them". They're just that way and you are gonna have to find someone who you score big with in both categories.

2. Reminding yourself of how many times you've attracted people either passively or actively helps in discovering and believing the other important ideal, "there are other fish in the ocean".

3. Do a thorough self check, especially on the parts where you can change. Am I taking care of myself as I should? Am content with who I am as a person and don't hate myself? You can't love people or in this case encourage new people to enter your life and find something better if you are in that mental state.

4. After properly assigning the blame on them, reminding yourself it's not the end of the world and you can and will do better as you have done BEFORE, and your not hating on yourself, you can start talking to yourself about the many ways it wouldn't have worked out and that you are better off.

5. Many people who randomly go through the agonizing process also coat their ex's with this magic film called "they were perfect in every way", the smell, the way that they laugh, those small things that you incorrectly assume cannot be found elsewhere or just take too much time and luck to find them again, especially since you spent so much time adjusting to the things that are just meh or not good about them and emphasized the good parts just a tad much.

6. Finally, don't lie to yourself. In your own rating scale for relationships, it was an 8. It was great, but you did patch up the other 2 points, you got the 8 in the first place, you have faith in yourself and rationally have concluded the it's time to move on since it would have never worked and it was in no way your fault, time to block all incoming messages about this person. No more mentioning his name, no more looking at old emails and conversations, completely detatch yourself from the person in a healthy manner.

Cause some person would say "wait a sec if they don't mean anything to me then it shouldn't be a problem if I look at his profiles and messages and repeat his name...see I'm fine! I'm just testing myself over and over again!".

You probably at the height of your relationship have been mentioning his or her's name a hundred times per day, the brain makes habits, so when they are no longer there it's natural for you to be occupied by them in their absence since it became a habit.

GL.

Edit: Translated into Internet English based on Texas's request :3

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It took me like the half the post to understand what xdragon was trying to say .-. Beyond that however I do agree with a lot of what he was saying. I've historically gotten far too emotionally attached to a person too soon in a relationship, which isn't healthy when you are still concreting your feelings for the other party. I believe, as xdragon mentioned, that self-reflection is extremely important, the ability to objectively view yourself and your benefits and faults, and to similarly be able to how your (ex)partner as such. There comes a certain point where one has to realize that this person who used to mean so much to you is not benefitting you and needs to be it off, at least for a while, until you can be sure you have moved on. Even after cutting them off continuing to think and evaluate about this person is still healthy as long as it doesn't interfere with new relationships you may have, as attempting to substitute the lingering love and/or affection that may remain does not solve any problems and the repressed feelings will come back to be dealt with eventually.

As an example on my case I have recently had some non-sexual dreams about an ex where my feelings upon the end of our relationship were primarily frustration and bitterness over a complicated scenario. The repressed feelings of unfinished business are cling back to be dealt with.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Getting over someone is different with every person and every case. You have no way of knowing, but you can help yourself by completely separating from them. Delete them from facebook, remove them from your phone contacts, avoid them if your social spheres overlap, etc. Do not see or communicate with them in ANY WAY. This doesn't have to be a permanent solution, just a step you can take to aid the healing process. Friendships can be re-established down the road after both parties have fully moved on. Not having the person involved in any aspect of your life gives you less opportunities to think about them and subsequently dwell on the situation.

junior

is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Yeah I've spent a lot of time just thinking and being happy alon, and just thinking about where I want to be in life. I've been focusing on myself more and gaining indepedency again, and honestly I've had the best past month and a half yet.

I've deleted him on my phone, FB, unfollowed him on twitter, tumblr, instagram but unfortunately we still do have a social circle we're both part of. It's not our main social circle per se but still one of them. Despite that, somehow we've managed to avoid each other for a couple of months, attending different events etc (as I said, it isn't our main social circle). However0b Being both interested in tennis, I went to the APIA international in Sydney yesterday and that's where I bumped into him and I've been in a pretty weird state since. Just woke up from a nightmare about him.

I think I made the mistake of talking to him yesterday though, after bumping into him. I'm so silly and I'm so angry at myself for relapsing and causing myself grief for no reason.

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
i had to go through that crap not too long ago junior :( its the worse, with the dreams and all.

i didnt have to delete him from my social sites and stuff, though. it just eventually went away and i realized and i was like "oh. finally". but it sure felt like forever.

hang in there <3

junior

thanks girl i will, i know i'll be okay just seeing him triggered all of my emotions again briefly. i'm feeling a little better and i'm gonna go see one of my girl friends later tonight and just let it out and i'm sure i'll be perfectly okay by tomorrow.

and i hope everything goes well with you and your boyfie :) xo

Getting over someone is different with every person and every case. You have no way of knowing, but you can help yourself by completely separating from them. Delete them from facebook, remove them from your phone contacts, avoid them if your social spheres overlap, etc. Do not see or communicate with them in ANY WAY. This doesn't have to be a permanent solution, just a step you can take to aid the healing process. Friendships can be re-established down the road after both parties have fully moved on. Not having the person involved in any aspect of your life gives you less opportunities to think about them and subsequently dwell on the situation.
Absolutely - any contact you have with them will lead to your emotion-riddled brain trying to interpret every interaction as a potential sign you'll get back together. As long as you're doing that, you'll basically never get over them.

It's altogether easier that you just avoid them entirely - it hurts worse, but it also makes the process faster instead of grinding you down over months and years.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
maybe it's me but i too affectionately refer to some of my male friends as girl, and i'm pretty sure they understand why!!

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i've always known phantasia was a guy despite some of his posts (or at least i dont recall ever thinking he was a girl or being confused about it).

Junior on the other hand..... first i thought junior was a girl, then i thought junior was a guy, he? i keep using junior instead of he/she because honestly i am still not 100% sure...., BUT I AM TOTALLY GETTING THERE. sorry dude (dudette?). Holla at yo boy! but you can totally use girl if you want because i get it unlike some people in here apparently

Edit: Junior if it makes you feel better i am like 90% sure you are a guy. like i said, i am getting there

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
maybe it's me but i too affectionately refer to some of my male friends as girl, and i'm pretty sure they understand why!!
Yeah I thought this might also be the case but I'd never encountered it so I assumed not? that sounds quite likely I guess

wait and what when did junior become a boy

can there be a 'sex' thing underneath posts:3,084???

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
junior has been a gay man for a very long time, get with the program people

junior

dm's right and apparently some smogoners back in 08 knew before i told anyone too. mess!

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
didn't some smogoner guess synre's gaytitude before he had even come out irl?

Ninahaza

My Gaydar is pretty fantastic I'm not gonna lie, but I had help getting it as good as it is

Ninahaza

Oh stop it

But seriously, its more of a perk of having so many gay/lesbian friends i think. there will be some things that they will help me with, whether for fun or even not knowing it themselves

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)