Research Scarlet & Violet Battle Mechanics Research

Karthik

time heals all
is a Programmeris a Battle Simulator Moderator
It should be based on speed, if Koraidon goes first, then Sun will go off first, then Protosyntesis will activate, otherwise the Booster Energy will
This is not true. Booster Energy runs at a later switch-in event than most abilities, including Drought/Orichalcum Pulse. Even leading Torkoal + Flutter Mane will cause Protosynthesis to activate with the Sun and not consume its Booster Energy.

This is not true. Booster Energy runs at a later switch-in event than most abilities, including Drought/Orichalcum Pulse. Even leading Torkoal + Flutter Mane will cause Protosynthesis to activate with the Sun and not consume its Booster Energy.
Oh, this one is interesting, TIL NOTED

DarkFE

Heal Bells ringing
is a Pokemon Researcher
do it keep the stabs of the other mon?
Hi. I went ahead and checked this out in-game.

It appears that Terastallized Transformed Pokemon use the base STABs of the Transform target. For example, a Terastallized Tera Psychic Ditto gets the Adaptability-like damage when using Psychic after Transforming into a Gardevoir, but that same Transformed Terastallized Tera Psychic Ditto receives no STAB boost whatsoever on Normal-type moves like Swift. To put it simply, the Ditto in this case seems to behave just like a Terastallized Tera Psychic Gardevoir.

This is perhaps obvious, but I felt it necessary to make clear: A Pokemon that Transforms into a Terastallized Pokemon receives no damage boost on moves of the Terastallized target's Tera Type. For instance, Transforming into a Tera Fire Gardevoir doesn't grant any bonus to Fire moves for the Transform user, instead granting the STABs on Psychic and Fairy as usual.

DarkFE

Heal Bells ringing
is a Pokemon Researcher
Hi. I decided to test more regarding Commanded Dondozo and switching moves after I saw a note on lack of research regarding this in the Partners in Crime OM thread:
I tested Baton Pass in-game previously and its fail state in this case is already implemented on the simulator. However, at least some of the moves listed here, such as Teleport and Chilly Reception, still incorrectly allow a Commanded Dondozo to switch out of battle on Showdown.

Apologies for the double post. I wanted to get this information out, but an edit seemed somewhat inappropriate this time around considering that the information is entirely unrelated to the previous post.

• Forest's Curse and Trick-or-Treat can stack their effects on Y-info, but only the most recently given 3rd-typing applies (the latter is identical behavior to Gen 8). Terastallization removes these effects, and a Forest's Curse or Trick-or-Treat used against a Terastallized Pokemon will fail.
When you say that it removes these effects, do you just mean from the stack on Y-info, or do you mean that they also lose STAB on the added type?

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
When you say that it removes these effects, do you just mean from the stack on Y-info, or do you mean that they also lose STAB on the added type?
It removes both Y-info volatiles entirely. We didn't test if the move still keeps STAB or not.

• Make it Rain doesn't drop Sp. Atk twice when damaging Disguise.
  • If a Pokemon with a resist Berry is hit by a super-effective attack that triggers that Berry, and an ally Symbiosis Pokemon passes that Pokemon a Weakness Policy, Weakness Policy will not activate for that attack.
  • Helping Hand can boost the base power of Future moves, but only if used on the turn the move would deal damage, and only if the original Pokemon using the Future move is an active recipient of the Helping Hand. This applies even if the Helping Hand recipient also used some other move during the turn.
  • If Breaking Swipe hits into two Protect moves that have an effect on contact (e.g. Spiky Shield or Baneful Bunker), each protection effect will apply (e.g. double Spiky Shield damage, double poison from Baneful Bunker). If Breaking Swipe hits one Spiky Shield Pokemon and would faint from that attack, it still lowers the Attack of the other target before fainting.
  • When Cud Chew continually eats a Berry that boosts stats, like Salac Berry, after it maxes out on that stat, Cud Chew won't activate anymore. Dropping the user's stat won't cause Cud Chew to eat the Berry anymore either.
  • If Meloetta is hacked with a nonstandard Ability, it will retain the nonstandard Ability even if it transforms via Relic Song. If it switches, however, it will return back to Serene Grace (note: tested in the overworld, not in PvP).

It has the Wind flag in move data, so it is a Wind move; it just doesn't interact with Wind Power or Wind Rider. It's similar to how Tar Shot is a move flagged as explicitly excluded from hitting twice with Parental Bond. The flag just doesn't do anything because Tar Shot is a status move, and status moves don't hit twice with Parental Bond anyway. The Wind Abilities have additional logic for "must have this particular kind of target", which Sandstorm doesn't happen to meet.
Wait, which flag is for not hitting twice with Parental Bond? Did you guys label the previously unlabeled flags at some point?

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Sorry if this was already figured out before but I couldn't find anything about it : if a pokemon is passed shed tail, does it still take hazard damages in the process?

Fragmented

procrastinating...
is a Pokemon Researcher
Sorry if this was already figured out before but I couldn't find anything about it : if a pokemon is passed shed tail, does it still take hazard damages in the process?
Yeah, it works like baton passing a sub, the mon switching in still takes hazard damage

Reactions: R8
If a Pokémon uses Stuff Cheeks and eats a stat-boosting berry, would both stat boosts be copied by Mirror Herb / Opportunist? I'm curious to see if it procs in between, or copies stat boosts after a move finishes running its course completely.

I also wanted to bump this! Not sure if all of this got answered, I'm curious about the Contrary interactions. This info will probably be used to add to the Pokémon Emerald expansion.

Some more specifics about the Mirror Herb:

It sounds like it activates for positive stat changes only (like it wouldn't be consumed to copy just a self-drop from Overheat),
but what about moves like Curse and Shell Smash that both raise and lower stats at the same time? Does it behave like Spectral Thief and copy only the positive part of the boost, or does it copy the whole boost as long as any part of it is positive?
like: an opponent uses Shell Smash - does the Mirror Herb holder get +2/0/+2/0/+2, or does it get +2/-1/+2/-1/+2?

If a Pokémon with Contrary is holding a Mirror Herb,
does it always lower its stats when an opponent boosts (like Contrary Spectral Thief: an opponent uses SD, so the Mirror Herb holder tries to copy the +2 but instead gets -2 from Contrary),
does it bypass Contrary like boosts from Z-Power,
or does it do something else entirely? the fun but unlikely option: Mirror Herb but you get +2 SpA because someone else used Overheat
The first option definitely feels the most realistic, but I'm curious all the same.

What happens to a Mirror Herb holder if multiple Pokémon are boosted at the same time?
Possible examples:
- a move like Howl that directly targets an entire side, or a move like Icy Wind on two opposing Contrary users;​
- a move like Magnetic Flux/Gear Up or Rototiller/Flower Shield that targets multiple Pokémon individually (this would probably be the same as Howl?);​
- an single Ability activation, like Intimidate or Cotton Down, boosting two opposing Contrary users simultaneously​
Do all of these behave the same?
Does it copy only one boost or all of the boosts from the same event?
If it copies only one, does it activate immediately after the first boost or does it still wait until all targets have been boosted?
If it waits for all targets to be done, what happens if one target has a different boost from the others (such as from Simple) - does it copy the first boost, the last boost or the greatest boost?

Edit:
If the flag from Legends still exists, is a sleeping Pokémon woken up before it attempts to use Spark, Wild Charge or Volt Tackle? (or any additional moves with the same flag)
I ask because frostbite kept this element of freeze even though it was otherwise a completely different status, so I could see sleep bringing back this element of drowsiness in turn.
Also, what if it's damaged by another Pokémon's move on this list? What if it's damaged by another Pokémon's Electric-type move not on this list?

Another Legends-motivated edit:
If Dialga and Palkia turn out to be usable, do the power and accuracy of Roar of Time and Spacial Rend and the crit rate of Spacial Rend still change based on the user's form?
If Giratina turns out to be usable, do the power and accuracy of Shadow Force still change based on the user's form? This might be silly of me, but I wouldn't necessarily take for granted that Shadow Force will be changed even if Roar of Time and Spacial Rend are.

If their effects are now form-dependent, have Roar of Time, Spacial Rend and Shadow Force been made unusable for other species (compare Aura Wheel I think), or do other species default to Altered Forme?

These are all super minor, so no pressure!! I'm mostly just curious :'D but thank you so much either way!!

Couldn't find any answers on this interaction searching online: will Stakeout boost the damage of Comeuppance? (e.g. if something uses Volt Switch against Mabosstiff)

On Showdown the answer appears to be no, but curious if that's also true on the cartridge. The wording of the ability implies it should, but no idea how it's actually implemented.

Couldn't find any answers on this interaction searching online: will Stakeout boost the damage of Comeuppance? (e.g. if something uses Volt Switch against Mabosstiff)

On Showdown the answer appears to be no, but curious if that's also true on the cartridge. The wording of the ability implies it should, but no idea how it's actually implemented.
No, Commupance deals 1.5 times the damage of the last move the user took to the Pokémon that used that move. It's damage is fixed, so nothing can change it, like Night Shade.

DarkFE

Heal Bells ringing
is a Pokemon Researcher
Hi. Another round of testing. I hope this helps:

If a Pokémon uses Stuff Cheeks and eats a stat-boosting berry, would both stat boosts be copied by Mirror Herb / Opportunist? I'm curious to see if it procs in between, or copies stat boosts after a move finishes running its course completely.
Yes, they both copy both boosts. I tested using Stuff Cheeks Greedent with Petaya Berry, and Opportunist and Mirror Herb copied both the Defense stages and the Special Attack stage.

Notably, this differs from the simulator implementation. On Showdown, Opportunist correctly copies both of the stat stage boosts in this case, but Mirror Herb incorrectly only copies the Stuff Cheeks Defense boost while ignoring Petaya Berry's Special Attack boost entirely.

I also wanted to bump this! Not sure if all of this got answered, I'm curious about the Contrary interactions. This info will probably be used to add to the Pokémon Emerald expansion.
Some more specifics about the Mirror Herb:

It sounds like it activates for positive stat changes only (like it wouldn't be consumed to copy just a self-drop from Overheat),
but what about moves like Curse and Shell Smash that both raise and lower stats at the same time? Does it behave like Spectral Thief and copy only the positive part of the boost, or does it copy the whole boost as long as any part of it is positive?
like: an opponent uses Shell Smash - does the Mirror Herb holder get +2/0/+2/0/+2, or does it get +2/-1/+2/-1/+2?

If a Pokémon with Contrary is holding a Mirror Herb,
does it always lower its stats when an opponent boosts (like Contrary Spectral Thief: an opponent uses SD, so the Mirror Herb holder tries to copy the +2 but instead gets -2 from Contrary),
does it bypass Contrary like boosts from Z-Power,
or does it do something else entirely? the fun but unlikely option: Mirror Herb but you get +2 SpA because someone else used Overheat
The first option definitely feels the most realistic, but I'm curious all the same.
Mirror Herb only copies the positive boosts, so if you send out a Mirror Herb user against a non-Ghost Pokemon using Curse, then your Mirror Herb user will end up with +1 Attack and +1 Defense without lowering its Speed stages at all.

Mirror Herb + Contrary Pokemon try to copy positive boosts, and then Contrary activates and turns the copied positive stage changes into negative stage changes. In other words, it works like the Spectral Thief example as far as I can tell. The Mirror Herb won't trigger for a Contrary user if an opponent uses something like Overheat or Superpower to lower their own stats, since the Mirror Herb still seems to only be looking for positive stat stage changes on the opponent to copy.

I tried searching for raid interactions but didn't see it on the front page or in the search results, but since it came up in the Samurott Raid thread it's worth asking: do all "field wide" abilities work in raids?
We know stuff that sets things (like terrains, weather) applies to all players, and we know Steely Spirit does, so my assumption would be "yes" but raids can have some odd corner cases. Like Earthquake wont hit your allies. So seems worth confirming instead of assuming?

Notable questions:
-Does Friend Guard apply the 25% reduction from enemy attacks to everyone
-The various Veil abilities (Flower, Aroma, Sweet)
-Do the Ruin abilities debuff allied stats

Does Mold Breaker deal "weather influenced" damage to a Cloud Nine Pokemon? EX: a Cloud Nine Golduck is hit by a Sun-Boosted Flamethrower, or Rain-Boosted Surf, from a Mold Breaker opponent?

Alongside that, does Hydro Steam deal its regular BP if Cloud Nine is up? I know there was already research on how various Utility-Umbrella holders interact with it, and was curious if it specifically uses Sun to boost like other Weathers or just checks that Sun is there (akin to how Electric Terrain affects QD mons even if they're not grounded to otherwise interact with the Terrain).

DarkFE

Heal Bells ringing
is a Pokemon Researcher
Hi.

Does Mold Breaker deal "weather influenced" damage to a Cloud Nine Pokemon? EX: a Cloud Nine Golduck is hit by a Sun-Boosted Flamethrower, or Rain-Boosted Surf, from a Mold Breaker opponent?

Alongside that, does Hydro Steam deal its regular BP if Cloud Nine is up? I know there was already research on how various Utility-Umbrella holders interact with it, and was curious if it specifically uses Sun to boost like other Weathers or just checks that Sun is there (akin to how Electric Terrain affects QD mons even if they're not grounded to otherwise interact with the Terrain).
Mold Breaker does not allow the user to deal weather-influenced damage against Cloud Nine targets. For example, a Cloud Nine Golduck takes the same non-weather-boosted damage from a Mold Breaker Tinkaton's Surf both inside and outside of Rain.

When Cloud Nine is active, Hydro Steam deals the same damage it would deal in a weatherless environment even if Sun or Rain is on the field.

I don't know if this is a bug in game, or how this would change the viability of the Pokemon with this ability, but:

Something that I discovered in game, is Cud Chew, the ability exclusive to farigiraf and paldea tauros family, will actually proc multiple times, happening every other turn after the first cud chew activation.

For example: if you reach 25% and eat a ganlon berry turn 1, you get plus 1 defense, and turn 2, cud chew activates. Turn 3 nothing will happen, but turn 4, cud chew re-activates and you eat the berry again, now +3 defense. Even if you restored hp over the 25% mark, the ability procs every other turn.

Edit: Another point of interest I have discovered testing this mechanic is if the berry in question is a health restoring berry (oran, sitrus, aguav, etc.) If on the turn cud chew would activate, it doesn't activate and will no longer active the rest of the time you are on the field

Edit 2: here is a video showing the mechanic with sitrus berry.

Edit 3: Apparently this was already discovered, just is not implemented in showdown

Last edited:
I've recently seen that Copycat Chains don't work in generation 4. Can someone please test if they work in generation 9? Thank you.

This might require a datamine to confirm for obvious reasons of probability, but I'm curious.

With Sneasler's Dire Claw, I'm curious how all the status checks interact. Is there a way to determine if the Status for the move is rolled before Poison Touch from an Ability, or how the Statuses are rolled (i.e. 50% Chance at status and then randomly determined vs "Roll Poison, if no Poison then Roll Sleep, etc.")? Also, if a status cannot be inflicted, such as Dire Claw into an Electric Type (no Paralysis) or into Electric Terrain (no sleep), are the status odds 50% of the remaining eligible Conditions, or 50% - 16.67% split between them?

This might require a datamine to confirm for obvious reasons of probability, but I'm curious.

With Sneasler's Dire Claw, I'm curious how all the status checks interact. Is there a way to determine if the Status for the move is rolled before Poison Touch from an Ability, or how the Statuses are rolled (i.e. 50% Chance at status and then randomly determined vs "Roll Poison, if no Poison then Roll Sleep, etc.")? Also, if a status cannot be inflicted, such as Dire Claw into an Electric Type (no Paralysis) or into Electric Terrain (no sleep), are the status odds 50% of the remaining eligible Conditions, or 50% - 16.67% split between them?
It would likely work however Tri Attack does, since the move is just a physical Poison-type version of the move with Burn and Freeze replaced with Poison and Sleep.

It would likely work however Tri Attack does, since the move is just a physical Poison-type version of the move with Burn and Freeze replaced with Poison and Sleep.
Tri Attack isn't contact though, so the interaction with Poison Touch is unique to Dire Claw.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)