Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

I feel like now is the time to suspect clefable. It is the most blatantly broken stall pokemon in ages as the combination of wish and teleport along with magic guard is just way too busted, which causes any defensive pokemon to become even more busted, especially a regenerator blissey or toxapex coming into back into battle after the residual hp gain from regenerator and possibly getting full health despite being 1/3 hp before regenerator, restores some hp, and after the wish pass its pretty much at full health. And since teleport gives clefable longevity, it allows toxapex and blissey to be more aggravating walls then in gen 6 or 7 by hitting wish, tanking a hit, and hitting teleport and passing it to a regenerator pokemon. Smogon it is time to prioritize suspect testing clefable, so why hasn't smogon issued any sort or suspect test yet!?!?!

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
when can we expect a VR update? I know it was locked to be voted on but i was wondering when since it's been a couple of days.
Finchinator said:
I will be closing this as I plan on putting up another voting slate later tonight. Expect an update late this week!
We'll probably have it up on Saturday or Sunday or early Monday at the latest.

I feel like now is the time to suspect clefable. It is the most blatantly broken stall pokemon in ages as the combination of wish and teleport along with magic guard is just way too busted, which causes any defensive pokemon to become even more busted, especially a regenerator blissey or toxapex coming into back into battle after the residual hp gain from regenerator and possibly getting full health despite being 1/3 hp before regenerator, restores some hp, and after the wish pass its pretty much at full health. And since teleport gives clefable longevity, it allows toxapex and blissey to be more aggravating walls then in gen 6 or 7 by hitting wish, tanking a hit, and hitting teleport and passing it to a regenerator pokemon. Smogon it is time to prioritize suspect testing clefable, so why hasn't smogon issued any sort or suspect test yet!?!?!
First of all, a post like this belongs in the Metagame Discussion thread, but I'll go ahead and address the points you made. Regenerator mons aren't even the prime target for WishPort Clefable to heal, it's usually offensive mons that lack recovery or really any teammate that wants to be healthy and lacks recovery options. At this point in time, WishPort Clefable does have some drawbacks that make it less viable than its other sets. Urshifu is a big part in that, as Clefable wants to switch in and counter it, but Urshifu breaks past Protect and you're stick with Wish as your only recovery. The abundance in Knock Off users also hurts WishPort Clefable as again, once those Leftovers are knocked off, Clefable has to use Wish on itself more often, which makes it more vulnerable and slightly easier to punish.

I think Clefable's really good, maybe even a little too good, but you'll need a stronger and more accurate argument to suggest that it deserves to be tested.

First of all, a post like this belongs in the Metagame Discussion thread, but I'll go ahead and address the points you made. Regenerator mons aren't even the prime target for WishPort Clefable to heal, it's usually offensive mons that lack recovery or really any teammate that wants to be healthy and lacks recovery options. At this point in time, WishPort Clefable does have some drawbacks that make it less viable than its other sets. Urshifu is a big part in that, as Clefable wants to switch in and counter it, but Urshifu breaks past Protect and you're stick with Wish as your only recovery. The abundance in Knock Off users also hurts WishPort Clefable as again, once those Leftovers are knocked off, Clefable has to use Wish on itself more often, which makes it more vulnerable and slightly easier to punish.
I think Clefable's really good, maybe even a little too good, but you'll need a stronger and more accurate argument to suggest that it deserves to be tested.

Yes there is also the fact that bulky offense pokemon can get a straight up heal like urshifu, kommo-o, the occasional physical attacking corviknights, and any other bulky hard hitting pokemon in the ou metagame really. And yes knocking off leftovers can hurt it, but urshifu has to be sacked in order to knock off clefable as clefable can easily okho both urshifus. And yes, knock off can cripple it, but I don't think its good to have only one counter. Remember dracovish? Seismitoad was the only way to reliably shut it down. Same goes with urshifu being the only reliable clefable counter. And even if you do get rid of its leftovers via knock off, it will constantly heal itself to stall for as long as possible and maybe get a wish teleport off if the opponent sets up. And because it has magic bounce, you cannot put status effects on it, so there are very few ways to shut it down other than to sack a knock off pokemon and hit it with a super effective crit or try to set up on it. With my next point covered, I can conclude it is just not fun to play against and is very unhealthy to the metagame as a whole. Next time I will make sure to post in the metagame discussion thread, but I rest my case unless you need more elaboration.

Yes there is also the fact that bulky offense pokemon can get a straight up heal like urshifu, kommo-o, the occasional physical attacking corviknights, and any other bulky hard hitting pokemon in the ou metagame really. And yes knocking off leftovers can hurt it, but urshifu has to be sacked in order to knock off clefable as clefable can easily okho both urshifus. And yes, knock off can cripple it, but I don't think its good to have only one counter. Remember dracovish? Seismitoad was the only way to reliably shut it down. Same goes with urshifu being the only reliable clefable counter. And even if you do get rid of its leftovers via knock off, it will constantly heal itself to stall for as long as possible and maybe get a wish teleport off if the opponent sets up. And because it has magic bounce, you cannot put status effects on it, so there are very few ways to shut it down other than to sack a knock off pokemon and hit it with a super effective crit or try to set up on it. With my next point covered, I can conclude it is just not fun to play against and is very unhealthy to the metagame as a whole. Next time I will make sure to post in the metagame discussion thread, but I rest my case unless you need more elaboration.
Urshifu straight up kills WishPort as a set. It 2HKOs with Iron Head and Poison Jab while forcing Clefable to run Phys Def and constantly heal to be able to take Wicked Blows. And Unseen Fist means Wish+Protect isn't a viable means of healing up. And thus since Clef can't run both Soft-Boiled and Teleport, most Clef since the DLC don't run Teleport anymore.
Honestly Clef was S+ pre-DLC for a reason (and probably banworthy if not for DLCs), but the DLC has raised the power level to the point where Clef cannot find the two turns for WishPort consistently. To counter non-Thunder Wave Clefable simply switch in Aegislash or Volcarona or whatever your favourite sweeper is and set up. Thus most Clef are Soft/Moonblast/Twave/Filler. These sets can be abused by Pokemon like Zeraora, Excadrill and so on.
TL;DR: You would have had a case pre-DLC, but now the game has changed and Clef simply cannot run the sets which made it mandatory on balance pre-DLC.

What are the specific EVs on Kommo-o's standard set for? It has 252 HP, 148 Def, 40 SpD, and 68 Spe. I'm in a technical phase atm and I would like to know if anyone knows what they are for. The description doesn't specify about it.

Edit: Also the 28 defense EVs on Zam.

What are the specific EVs on Kommo-o's standard set for? It has 252 HP, 148 Def, 40 SpD, and 68 Spe. I'm in a technical phase atm and I would like to know if anyone knows what they are for. The description doesn't specify about it.

Edit: Also the 28 defense EVs on Zam.
68 Speed EVs on Kommo-o allow it to outspeed 252 Speed Tyranitar. If I recall correctly, the 40 Special Defense EVs are for offensive Volcarona's Psychic after 1 layer of Spikes and 1 round of Leftovers recovery.

28 Defense EVs on Alakazam allow it to always survive an Earthquake from Hippowdon and an Aqua Jet from Choice Band Azumarill.

Thank You Jordy! One more: What's the 252 hp 120 defense on Togekiss for?

Actually I take this back because it's probably 136 speed to outspeed a certain benchmark, then the rest are pumped into hp and defense

Last edited:
Thank You Jordy! One more: What's the 252 hp 120 defense on Togekiss for?
It just aims to outspeed Pokemon like Toxtricity, but that isn't the best EV spread for the current metagame.

Togekiss @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Heal Bell
- Nasty Plot

This EV spread is a more viable option in the current metagame; it outspeeds Adamant Rillaboom and 60 Defense EVs allow it to avoid being 2HKOed by Urshifu-S's Wicked Blow.

Last edited:
It just aims to outspeed Pokemon like Toxtricity, but that isn't the best EV spread for the current metagame.

Togekiss @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Heal Bell
- Nasty Plot

This EV spread is a more viable option in the current metagame; it outspeeds Adamant Rillaboom and 60 Defense EVs allow it to avoid being 2HKOed by Urshifu-S's Iron Head / Poison Jab.
252 Atk Urshifu Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 60 Def Togekiss: 172-204 (46.1 - 54.6%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO
?

Jordy edit: My bad, it's actually for this calc. :smogduck:

252+ Atk Choice Band Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 252 HP / 60 Def Togekiss on a critical hit: 158-186 (42.2 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Edit: :)

Last edited:
I'm trying to create a SD Scizor EV spread that's both bulky and strong. LO Scizor is too frail and specially defensive Scizor is too weak. Currently, I've been using the following set:
Scizor @ Metal Coat
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Atk / 20 Def / 76 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
EVs let Scizor survive Urshifu's Choice Band Wicked Blow and +2 Alakazam's Focus Blast, while Metal Coat gives Bullet Punch a sizable boost in power. Are there any optimizations I could make to this set?

I'm trying to create a SD Scizor EV spread that's both bulky and strong. LO Scizor is too frail and specially defensive Scizor is too weak. Currently, I've been using the following set:
Scizor @ Metal Coat
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Atk / 20 Def / 76 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
EVs let Scizor survive Urshifu's Choice Band Wicked Blow and +2 Alakazam's Focus Blast, while Metal Coat gives Bullet Punch a sizable boost in power. Are there any optimizations I could make to this set?
Just a tiny thing, you can afford to take off 4 EVs off of defense:

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 248 HP / 16 Def Scizor on a critical hit: 289-342 (84.2 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Hello guys,
I wanted to ask why paralysis is not considered unhealthy for the game when it is possible that you get paralyzed for several turns which completely changes the outcome of the game. If we compare flinch to paralysis we can see that there are not many pokemon who can effectively abuse it while on the other hand, nearly every single damn pokemon has access to Thunder wave. I may sound salty but I lost so many games because I got paralyzed 3-4 or times in a row. I mean evasion got banned because it is deemed unhealthy yet t-wave is allowed which is spammed on every tier and on every team. If someone could explain why one is banned and the other one not I would be very grateful.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Hello guys,
I wanted to ask why paralysis is not considered unhealthy for the game when it is possible that you get paralyzed for several turns which completely changes the outcome of the game. If we compare flinch to paralysis we can see that there are not many pokemon who can effectively abuse it while on the other hand, nearly every single damn pokemon has access to Thunder wave. I may sound salty but I lost so many games because I got paralyzed 3-4 or times in a row. I mean evasion got banned because it is deemed unhealthy yet t-wave is allowed which is spammed on every tier and on every team. If someone could explain why one is banned and the other one not I would be very grateful.
paralysis isn't a broken or gamechanging mechanic first and foremost as you still have a chance to break out of a full para,whereas evasion-boosting moves like double team and minimize change the outcome by the factor, that it turns the game around in a complete luck-fest as after an evasion-boost the chances of a mon avoiding is incredible high and therefore deemed uncompetetive in every aspect.

thunder wave and other paralysis-inducing moves like stun spore arent uncompetetive at all, as:
1. they dont have a 100% accurate chance to hit
2. a mon has still a relatively high chance to snap out of a full-para
3. even when a mon of yours takes the full para like 2 or 3 times in a row is it likely that you have other team-members which can take care of the opposition.

thunder wave / stun spore also dont have the common effect that you cannot hit the opposition at all, whereas minimize / double team makes it, so that the entire rest of your team will miss the particular evasion-boosted mon during the entirety of the game.

i mean getting a full para 2 or 3 or even 4 times in a row is very salty, but you still can hit the mon and take care of it, furthermore there are moves which can get rid of such status-conditions, like heal bell, aromatherapy as well as rest and items in lum berry, which can help against any status.

Hello guys,
Paralysis also has utility beyond the hax (speed control) and has more counterplay than evasion. You can switch an Electric or already-statused Pokemon into Thunder Wave or Glare to block it, and you can switch out a key Pokemon to prevent them from being paralyzed. Compare that to evasion counterplay, which boils down to Whirlwind / Roar (only delays the problem), perfect accuracy moves (most of which suck), and Hone Claws / Coil.

You can use it on Zeraora to chip Ferrothorn + rocky helmet users without being worn down yourself, might be a nice option with some good hazard control.
I think most of the time the pokemon that are going to chip Zeraora and the Urshifus down (Amoongus, Pex, Corviknight, Clefable, Ferrothorn) are mostly going to be pokemon that you can't beat, which means for zera its just better to volt switch out. I think this is similar to Urshifus.

How would Reuniclus best use Magnezone support on a team? historically it was a change of HP type, so is there any difference? Is it even a good idea to run Mag + Reun right now?

Another question, what teams does gastro fit on nicely?

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
How would Reuniclus best use Magnezone support on a team? historically it was a change of HP type, so is there any difference? Is it even a good idea to run Mag + Reun right now?

Another question, what teams does gastro fit on nicely?
Magnezone and Reun can form a good core. I think you're best bet is using Calm Mind Reuniclus + Specs Magnezone. Specs Magnezone should be used to punch holes in the opposing team for Reuniclus to clean up later on. Reuniclus can sometimes struggle to beat the likes of Tyranitar, Aegislash, and SpDef Hippowdon, all of which take a good amount of damage from Specs Magnezone. If you're after more help regarding Reuniclus, I recommend checking this out.

Gastro finds a niche as a great answer to Clefable, as with Sticky Hold and Clear Smog, it completely shuts down both Trick and CM Clefable. As such, the logical thing to do is to pair Gastro with Pokemon that struggle with Clefable, such as Urshifu and Hydreigon. As far as what teams Gastrodon suits, your best bet is bulky offense or balance teams. Here's a set linked below:

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Clear Smog

Hope this helped! :heart:

I know this probably isn't relevant anymore, but I like to run reuniclus without an item. In the days when Crawdaunt and Alolawak populated the ladder, no item allowed it to surprise Alolawak looking to poltergeist and it can live a life orb knock off, retaliating with a focus blast/thunder. Now those mons aren't really a thing anymore. It does allow it to easily stomach knocks from the like of rillaboom, zeraora, and clefable, but in the end the power boost from life orb is too strong to ignore

What are some good pokemon on bulky offense teams? Hydreigon and scizor seem nice to pair with gastro, but I can't figure out the rest. Any suggestions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)