Smeargle @ Power Herb
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Baton Pass
- Geomancy
- Spore
- Substitute

I've been running this set to reliably set up sticky web and I've gotten some good results

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Sticky Web
- Roar
- Parting Shot

Spikes or Rapid Spin/Defog could be used over Roar or Parting Shot but I find them both too useful to pass up. Parting Shot fails against subs so Roar is really the only option to phase set up sweepers quickly and prevent Smeargle from becoming set up fodder. This set works really well against the ever so common prankster klefki lead because smeargle takes so little damage from foul play and is immune to swagger.

how does one level smeargle up do you wait for a good level to remove a damaging attack it seems like it would take forever to train something that cannot by itself gain exp

Foul Play has its place on a Smeargle set, but most of the time Smeargle doesn't really want to stay in and do attacks anyway, due to how much of a support oriented guy he is.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Sticky Web
- King's Shield
- Parting Shot

This might look weird at the first, but it actually comes in quite handy when facing a physical sweeper that tries to knock out Smeargle.
It also can be used to stop a physical sweep of an unexpacting enemy.

It's mainly designed to counter (lower tier) rapid spinners who serve a 2nd role being a sweeper.

This set can delay a setup or in some cases even force out the enemy.
The downside; after the initial use it becomes predictable.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Sticky Web
- King's Shield
- Parting Shot

This might look weird at the first, but it actually comes in quite handy when facing a physical sweeper that tries to knock out Smeargle.
It also can be used to stop a physical sweep of an unexpacting enemy.

It's mainly designed to counter (lower tier) rapid spinners who serve a 2nd role being a sweeper.

This set can delay a setup or in some cases even force out the enemy.
The downside; after the initial use it becomes predictable.
I'm loving this set ATM it helps open up a whole to set up megasciz who isn't easily slowed down once it dances abit

What about giving him the technician ability and run him with hidden power fire. Of course assuming you're going to run a spore set, it could be really useful against people who try to switch into a grass type to eat your spore. I tried it out a few games, and the third time someone switched into a Venusaur and I read it, used hidden power and hit him for 54% damage. It's exact set up was;

(Smeargle) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sticky Web

252+ SpA Choice Specs Technician Smeargle Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 224-264 (63.6 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
That's the highest you can get; and Smeargle won't be running Modest, Choice Specs, or 252 SpA EVs. It. Has. Base. 20. SpA.

How about this. Lets give Smeargle Sacred Fire.

Although, his stats are so bad that he should basically never run attacking moves :-(

How about this. Lets give Smeargle Sacred Fire.

Although, his stats are so bad that he should basically never run attacking moves :-(
well, it does work through taunt for a 50% chance of burn, which doesn't suck.

But if you really want to see what smeargle can do offensively:
+6 252 SpA Smeargle Stored Power (840 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 824-970 (115.4 - 135.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It will never happen, especially without Moody.

Has anyone tried Topsy Turvy, and is it worth using? I've tried Heart Swap + Baton Pass in the past without much luck, but I suppose Topsy Turvy serves a different purpose, to force your opponent to switch.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
This has been sitting in the back of my mind for a while now. I've been meaning to try it, but haven't.

Is Transform viable on Smeargle?

Smeargle Leftovers
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid

Transform
King's Shield
Parting Shot
filler (WoW, Encore, ect.)

Transform could give Smeargle a whole new dimension of utility. Instead of running hazards, use your opponent's. If they have Defog, take it. You could use it like Trace as well, copying Natural Cure or Regenerator mons.

I'm going to test this!

This has been sitting in the back of my mind for a while now. I've been meaning to try it, but haven't.

Is Transform viable on Smeargle?

Smeargle Leftovers
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid

Transform
King's Shield
Parting Shot
filler (WoW, Encore, ect.)

Transform could give Smeargle a whole new dimension of utility. Instead of running hazards, use your opponent's. If they have Defog, take it. You could use it like Trace as well, copying Natural Cure or Regenerator mons.

I'm going to test this!
It's not worth the turn. Same reason why Mew doesn't use transform. Besides, Smeargle's HP is barely higher than ditto, so why not just use ditto?

Smeargle can Imprison + Transform, which is hilarious and is a niche that Ditto can't do.

Smeargle:
----------------
Imprison
Transform
Stealth Rock
Swords Dance

1. Imprison the opponent to prevent them from using Stealth Rocks or Swords Dance
2. Use Transform to prevent them from doing anything else.
3. They struggle for one turn (if they've never seen this strategy), while you go ahead and lay stealth rocks (or if they were a Swords Dancer, you can attempt to set up a sweep).

This is what I run

Smeargle @ Power Herb
Timid Nature
- Baton Pass
- Geomancy
- Spore
- Substitute
Shell Smash + White Herb is better option IMO, because you can use it more than once in case something goes wrong. If you get phazed by defensive Pokemon - yeah, you loose White Herb, which means passing lowered defenses as well, but in some cases (like for example you passed to Alakazam and there's no priority left - those lowered defenses won't matter as he'll be able to sweep anyway, this is just an example) it won't matter because you may sweep even with lowered defenses in right situation. With Power Herb + Geomancy - you have ONLY one shot to do it, as trying to pass again with Geomancy while being forced while wasting turn doing nothing is technically impossible. Between Shell Smash + White Herb vs Geomancy + Power Herb there's technically no difference with Herbs up and passing to Special Attacker, while Shell Smash may be used again if possible/needed with slightly less risk. With Geomancy - not really.

Also good thing of Smash passing is that you can pass boost to your physical or mixed attacker if you can't do it to special one, while with Geomancy you are only limited to special one.

Last edited:

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Smeargle can Imprison + Transform, which is hilarious and is a niche that Ditto can't do.

Smeargle:
----------------
Imprison
Transform
Stealth Rock
Swords Dance

1. Imprison the opponent to prevent them from using Stealth Rocks or Swords Dance
3. They struggle for one turn (if they've never seen this strategy), while you go ahead and lay stealth rocks (or if they were a Swords Dancer, you can attempt to set up a sweep).

In BW2 I used imprison SR explosion Landorus lead lol those were fun times.

Also ppl need 2 start using explosion Smeargle imo

If you're up against a slower-foe, Imprison blocks the Stealth Rock. Then, when you transform, you have their entire moveset. Since they're still affected by Imprison, they can only use struggle. At that point, you literally have their pokemon and they have to switch out.

BTW: Its less a "solid" strategy and more a "hilarious" one.

Smeargle:
----------------
Imprison
Transform
Stealth Rock
Swords Dance

I'd much prefer something like Spore instead of Swords Dance. People won't try to set up against Smeargle because of the threat of Spore and having Swords Dance just in the hope of Imprisoning it is insane in my opinion when you have every move in the game to choose from.

Considering Smeargle's switch-ins tend to be bulky grass types who can absorb Spore such as Ferrothorn and Defoggers like Mandibuzz (who usually runs Foul Play so she doesn't give a damn about Memento) I'd say Explosion is more productive, even if the damage isn't spectacular.
The damage is miniscule, if you're afraid of switch-ins something like Whirlwind, Taunt or an entry hazard is better simply so you can do something productive. Explosion is just bad.

what about healing wish? This doesn't have much application if you're suicide leading with smeargle, but if you play your smeargle to have utility in the middle game it could be back breaking to fully heal a mon and stop the defog/spin.

You don't get the point of Explosion on a lead set do you?
It's meant to deal just enough damage on an incoming spinner/defogger so that you can scare it off without giving it a chance to remove the hazards.
Memento doesn't affect most hazard removers such as Mandibuzz, who will gladly spin/Defog the next turn so you essentially wasted a teamslot for a suicide lead Smeargle who didn't accomplish anything.
There is no point in using a suicide lead if you can't ensure the hazards stay down - it's like starting with 5 vs 6 pokemon.
You may want to run SR/Sticky Web Shuckle in that case, at least it can realistically attempt to lay them down more than once.
Lol, you think something with base 20 attack will do enough damage to scare off any pokemon? I understand the concept of using Explosion simply to remove Smeargle and ensure you can't be spun/defogged against (Suicide Lead Skarmory can kill itself with Brave Bird to accomplish this for example) but you seem to be implying it'll actually do significant damage.

I mentioned Taunt and Whirlwind because they both stop incoming Defoggers, and I'd say even Healing Wish is a better option than Explosion simply because it has some utility later in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)