The dumbest thing the AI has ever done?

Always trying to lower my pokemon stat that is already lowered to the maximum amount.

Winona in emerald had an illegal altaria (early dragon dance)

In emerald only, in Victory Road there was a fucking cooltrainer with Earthquake Lanturn, which can't learn it. It then proceeded to use it on my flygon.

By the way, did you know in the X and Y trailer Gardevoir was seen using Fairy Wind?
Yeah so why not let Gardevoir learn it instead of false advertising nintendo

>Me and my brother are fighting in the Gen 4 Battle Tower.
>Enemy Koffing uses Smokescreen against my Gyarados.
>I'm concerned about my Gyarados's worse accuracy, especially against the AI.
>Next turn the Koffing uses Haze, thus removing my accuracy drop.
>We destroy the the enemies' Pokemon easily afterwords. Hell, my Gyarados might have fainted that Koffing.

Once in a Battle Royal, I had an Incineroar out and the opponents had, respectively, a Mega Sceptile, and two Magnezone (Yes there were two. I once entered a match in which all 3 opponents had an Oven Rotom out at the same time). Naturally, as I was in the lead, my mon was the first thing that needed to be taken out right?

both Magnezone proceed to use Thunderbolt on me, forgetting that Mega Sceptile has Lightning Rod. They do this for three turns, boosting it's SpAttack to +6 (But all of the Focus Blasts missed so I had a free opportunity to get a KO on Sceptile).

A wild Chansey just used fling on gen 7 when it still had PP for other moves, and had no hold item for fling to deal any damage.

Nothing in Pokemon has an actual AI we just call it that instead of saying CPU or computer
Except there's actual degrees of AI in Pokemon games, with facility trainers having the highest (thus making properly weighted selection of moves, swapping mons in specific situations, even using battle tactics like setup or conditions), and wild mons having the worst (literally rolling a d4 to pick their attack)

Except there's actual degrees of AI in Pokemon games, with facility trainers having the highest (thus making properly weighted selection of moves, swapping mons in specific situations, even using battle tactics like setup or conditions), and wild mons having the worst (literally rolling a d4 to pick their attack)
Except AI stands for artificial intelligence. So no there really isn't any in Pokemon, as it is nothing but programs that use variables and run if, if else, else, for, and other miscellaneous code rather than there being any actual AI.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Except AI stands for artificial intelligence. So no there really isn't any in Pokemon, as it is nothing but programs that use variables and run if, if else, else, for, and other miscellaneous code rather than there being any actual AI.
"The dumbest thing the AI has ever done?" is a much catchier title than "The dumbest thing the various code that controls enemy Pokemon and trainers has ever done?"

On the subject of the thread rather than nomenclature, had a "fun" fight in a recent Emerald run where the enemy trainer's Pelipper used Protect 10 times in a row (successfully 5 times in a row). In hindsight it was funny, but during the battle it was frustrating.

Last edited:
On the subject of the thread rather than nomenclature, had a "fun" fight in a recent Emerald run where the enemy trainer's Pelipper used Protect 10 times in a row (successfully 7 times in a row). In hindsight it was funny, but during the battle it was frustrating.
Trainers in RSE have a ridiculous obsession with Protect and Detect.

Oh you just wait to try Koga's gym in Let's Go.....
At least it makes a little more sense there because they try to Toxic stall...

Talking about Let's Go, I saw a Rocket grunt have her Raticate use Super Fang against my Marowak. Except my Marowak was at 6 HP and the Raticate was obviously faster.

At least it makes a little more sense there because they try to Toxic stall...

Talking about Let's Go, I saw a Rocket grunt have her Raticate use Super Fang against my Marowak. Except my Marowak was at 6 HP and the Raticate was obviously faster.
Like I always say, Rocket Grunts aren't exactly paid to be smart...

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
There was a time once when I saw Bugsy's Scyther in HGSS use Focus Energy twice in a row.

That's...literally all I can remember lol

Playing Theta Emerald Renev (a ROM hack), a Double Battle occurs:

On my side: Staravia and Onix
On the opponents' side: Jigglypuff and Clefairy

Jigglypuff used Rollout.......on Onix.

I'm fairly sure that you can't target a specific opponent with rollout in a double battle. Uproar has this as well.
Same is true of Outrage and Thrash; the general theme is that moves that imply some loss of control on the part of the attacker do not allow the selection of a specific target.

For some unexplained reason, the gen 7 AI has this weird fetish for using Payback. It selects Payback when there are much better options available, even when they are faster than you and they have a 90 BP super effective move. However, by far the dumbest Payback-related AI blunder happened tonight when I was playing in Battle Tree Doubles and got to Blue. After sending out Gyarados and Machamp against my Incineroar and Cofagrigus, I decided that I would fake out Gyarados while hoping Incineroar would faint so that I could send out my Sylveon immediately and start wrecking house. Turns out that the Gyarados isn't mega, and Machamp decides to Earthquake. Fair enough, as it didn't have a KO on either of my active mons after Intimidate and "hey i have a spread move that doesn't hurt my partner, let's use it". Machamp gets burned by Flame Orb, and I realize that I may have to manually switch in Sylveon.

Turn 2 I double target the Gyarados and it faints. Machamp then uses Payback, into Cofagrigus, which takes over half. Mummy activates, showing that Machamp had Guts. Key word. HAD. As in, no longer has.

Not only did Machamp pass up a free OHKO on my Incineroar, it went for chip onto Cofagrigus, dividing its attack by 3 in the process (loses guts boost, and then burn drop applies). That has got to be high up on this list, probably second only to the AI going out of its way to burn its partner Terrakion with Will-o-Wisp.

Continuing on the gen 7 AI's Payback fetish, I have a battle video to show in which the AI demonstrates that it can be a bigger choke artist than Darth Vader.

NLQG-WWWW-WWX3-KQ57

Here's some context as to the team I'm using (I know it seems like a major "what the fuck how did she get 176 wins with that team") and to why this was such a big choke on the AI's part.

Starting in mid-December 2018, I've been amassing a collection of Pokemon that work well in Trick Room, along with some mons that can set it up reliably. I roll a random group of six of these mons, pick the four that I think work together the best (or re-roll if no TR users were rolled), and do a round of ten battles with the squad. Rinse and repeat indefinitely. Now, among the pool of 24 TR abusers are some rather ...unusual picks for a Trick Room team. Namely, Gyarados, Tapu Bulu, and Tyrantrum. Also note that I am only allowed to re-roll if I don't get a setter, so I can't call a mulligan on a terrible roll. All you need to know is that the group of six Pokemon that was chosen by RNGsus was so horribly unsynergetic that my best option was Mawile, Aromatisse, Gyarados, and Tyrantrum.

Now, as to why using Payback here was such a big choke. The only Battle Tree Rhyperior set that runs Metal Burst and Payback does not run any STAB. Its other two moves are Horn Drill and Reversal. You know, the Fighting-type attack whose damage scales inversely proportional to its user's HP and has probably hit 150 BP by now and could easily redline Tyrantrum. Yeah. That one. Never saw it once, just Payback and a single Horn Drill (went into a Protect).

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
It kind of feels like shameless advertising of my Status Moves Only Playthrough of Soul Silver when I posting about stuff that happened during it, especially with the Youtube video... :/

Against Falkner I had Poisoned and Cursed his Pidgeotto and it was below quarter health. It knows Roost. Guess what it didn't use.

In one Double Battle the opponent used Nature Power, which became Earthquake... against my Lugia and Lunatone. Once is understandable, but the second time was pure stupidity.

Elite Four Will's Slowbro often uses Curse while in Red Health while Poisoned during a Sandstorm and Bruno's Hitmonchan is also okay with using Substitute, even if it means Poison and Sandstorm will make him faint.

Elite Four Karen used Sucker Punch against me. This arguably isn't bad AI because it isn't made for fighting people that don't attack, but that wasn't the stupid part. It used Sucker Punch right after my Ninetales used Rest.

I could just say, "Perish Song. 'nuf said" but Lance's Altaria is the embodyment of stupid AI using Perish song. It always uses Perish Song, even when it's the last Pokemon standing. Even when it's not the last Pokemon, it's still does hilariously stupid stuff like using Double Team afterward. By the way, you know how the AI always switches when the Perish Count is at 1? Well... They kind of can't do that when they used Hyper Beam with the Perish Count at 2.

I lead with Meganium against Battle Valet Darch. He lead with Houndoom and spammed Counter until its second to last move before fainting.

This is bad RNG instead of bad AI, but Hall Matron Agatha used a Magnezone that knew Mirror Coat and held the berry that boosts Defense. Really good against Status Moves only, right?

The best stupid AI moment was against Tower Tycoon Palmer. (Skip to 5:05 for dumb AI)

We were both down to one Pokemon. I sent out Ninetales and he sent out Milotic. I had Toxic Spikes and Spikes up, so I could hope for stupid luck with Confuse Ray. If this wasn't the stupid AI thread you'd guess Milotic used Surf, but instead, Attract. After that it spammed Hypnosis for four turns becacuse of confusion, 60 Accuracy, and a Chesto Berry Ninetales was holding because she knew Rest. When Ninetales fell asleep Milotic finally used Surf... then fainted.

I know the AI goes for a KO whenever it can and, apparently, it ignores 2HKOs and spams Status Moves. Palmer, please leave spamming Status Moves to the experts... expert?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Today I helped my youngest cousin do some post game stuff in Let's Go, namely battle Green in order to get the Mewtwonites. Now the only problem was his highest level Pokemon was Mewtwo at 70, his second highest was the partner Eevee who wasn't over 60, and all his other Pokemon (Venusaur, Articuno, Zapdos, & Aerodactyl) were in their 40s. Before the battle we were teaching his Pokemon the TMs he had gotten (which weren't many but there was some useful ones) and one being Calm Mind which I suggested him to teach to Mewtwo. This suggestion possibly saved the battle, we upped Mewtwo's Special Attack & Defense against Green's Clefable (using Recover when needed; though annoyingly it's Moonblast kept decreasing Mewtwo's Special Attack) a few times until it was able to mostly one or two shot her Pokemon (and thus my youngest cousin learned the usefulness of stat buffing moves). Mewtwo did eventually faint but we had a Max Revive, and this is where the AI stupidity comes in.

Freshly revived Mewtwo is up against Green's Kangaskhan. We try a Psychic to see if we even need to Calm Mind and it used Sucker Punch which took Mewtwo below half HP. Not good. We have Mewtwo use Recover and Kangaskhan used Sucker Punch again. You can probably see where this is going. We safely Calm Minded a few times while Green kept having her Kangaskhan use Sucker Punch. Her Kangaskhan also knows Dizzy Punch, Thunder Punch, and Brick Break, but no, it kept on Sucker Punching because it's Super Effective on Psychic-types... completely ignoring it needs the Psychic-type to attack for it work. Well, it did get one more Sucker Punch in... before fainting to a now powered up Psychic along with her Mega Blastoise soon after.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)