Torunerosu

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
This guy is better on rain teams than his electric counterpart. Since there is nothing in the game that has a flying immunity, you can just spam specs hurricane to your heart's content. The only things that aren't going to be writhing in pain from that are sp. def bastiodon, aggron, magnezone, and blissey/chansey. The first three will never show up in a match and if they do, they're handled by hammer arm/focus blast.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
In VGC, Tornelos is beastly with Flight Jewel + Acrobat. I'm assuming it would work fairly well in standard play. You lose the Flight Jewel as soon as you use the flying attack, so Acrobat goes from 83 BP with STAB to 165 with STAB, since you have no item, to roughly 250 base power with Flight Jewel. That's the power of an Explosion. And after you've used the Flight Jewel, you still have a base 165 attack with great neutral coverage.

I like this guy.
I've used a set like this:

Torunerosu@Leftovers
Mischievous Heart
Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spd
- Gale/Windstorm
- Grass Knot
- Taunt
- Rain Dance

It's true that he really shines in rain. I just can't tell enough how good flying STAB is this gen, with all those (annoyingly good) fighting Pokemon.
If you have problems with Bulk Up Fighters, this guy can really help. He should 2 HKO them usually... although Gales accuracy sucks without rain.

Taunt and RD are just really good with his ability MH.
I mostly use him while I don't have a weather based team though xD, so if there is a Sun/Sandstream sweeper that I can't stop (because they might be too fast (Clorophyll and Sand Throw users) I use RD. The opponents weather inducer should probably be KO'd first, though.

You could drop RD for something else if you already have a Politoed, although you might need another RD if Politoed got KO'd... then you could also give Torunerosu the Damp Rock.

Grass Knot is probably a bad choice from me and I should change it... most pokemon that are hit SE, Gale is still a bit stronger and 30 % chance to confuse really helps sometimes. So you might want to switch that with something else (maybe a HP?). I guess I wanted to treaten water types with it, because he uses RD and stuff, but like I said Gale is usually still stronger (unless Grass Knot is x4).

My EV spread is just pretty standart... didn't put too much thought into it. Although maybe he should have a bit more bulk, not sure if that really helps though...

This guy is better on rain teams than his electric counterpart. Since there is nothing in the game that has a flying immunity, you can just spam specs hurricane to your heart's content. The only things that aren't going to be writhing in pain from that are sp. def bastiodon, aggron, magnezone, and blissey/chansey. The first three will never show up in a match and if they do, they're handled by hammer arm/focus blast.

You can always use Scarf-Dragonite with Hurricane if you want to abuse Hurricane.

You can always use Scarf-Dragonite with Hurricane if you want to abuse Hurricane.
Tornelos reaches 353 Speed and 523 Special Attack with Timid + Specs, or 481 Speed and 383 Special Attack with Modest + Scarf. Scarf Dragonite reaches 388 Speed and 328 Special Attack with Modest. Either way, it's outclassed by Tornelos when considering Hurricane spamming.

Either way, Dragonite is outclassed by Tornelos when considering Hurricane spamming.
When it comes to Hurricane spamming, yes, but when it comes to spamming moves in the rain D'nite also gets Thunder and Surf. Then, D'nite can run Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse for STAB.

When it comes to Hurricane spamming, yes, but when it comes to spamming moves in the rain D'nite also gets Thunder and Surf. Then, D'nite can run Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse for STAB.
Kingdra can do everything u just said...but without thunder and gale....and beside that why don't people use the both of them?

What about defensive Zapdos? He wouldn't be a good counter?

Yeah I have been running tornelos with windstorm/ air slash/focus blast/ uturn and it has been straight up wrecking things. A very underated feature of his is being able to switch into nattorei who normally shuts most rain teams down and blast it upwards of 90% with focus blast or just 2hko with windstorm.

breh

強いだね
In VGC, Tornelos is beastly with Flight Jewel + Acrobat. I'm assuming it would work fairly well in standard play. You lose the Flight Jewel as soon as you use the flying attack, so Acrobat goes from 83 BP with STAB to 165 with STAB, since you have no item, to roughly 250 base power with Flight Jewel. That's the power of an Explosion. And after you've used the Flight Jewel, you still have a base 165 attack with great neutral coverage.
I don't think the same niche of being fast and able to OHKO Morobareru is present. There's really not much I can imagine it using Acrobat on but Manaphy or something (actually quick somebody calc that).

I put Rain Dance on my Specs set just so I can have a last resort if Politoed dies. Assuming I took out their weather user as well. Hurricane + Focus Blast already provide good enough coverage, and then I still have another slot for filler coverage.

@ Zeburaika: Coverage is nice and all, and I understand that. From a purely choiced Pokemon, you want to be spamming STAB attacks with great neutral coverage. For Dragonite, those are Hurricane and Draco Meteor. Draco Meteor doesn't allow for a sustained sweep, so that can be ignored. So it's Hurricane then, and Toru can literally sweep teams with just Hurricane + Stealth Rock.

This guy is seriously underrated. I've been using him as a sweeper on my Rain team and he's a great late-game cleaner, in addition to being a great Roob check.

I figured I'd repost the set I posted in the Creative Moveset discussion thread since it is relevant to this thread as well.

Buff Genie

Tornelos @ Flight Jewel / Leftovers / Life Orb
Mischevious Heart [DW: Competitive Spirit is fine too, but MH is preferred.]
Jolly/Naive (if running Hidden Power)
EVs: Varies depending on what you use.
+Bulk Up
+Acrobat / Air Slash / Aerial Ace
+Hammer Arm / Brick Break / Crunch
+U-Turn / Crunch / Hidden Power
Strategy: Bulk Up in order to power up your physical movepool. Tornelos has a great base 115 attack, and while it's not all too bulky, the defense boost does assist it against unboosted Stone Edges and weaker Ice Shards. With a Flight Jewel and Acrobat, you'll have a powerful 110 BP move (before STAB) at your disposal, and with Bulk Up boosts, it will HURT. Unlike Archeos, you'll actually have opportunities to set up too. Acrobat and Air Slash are basically the only reasons why you're using Tornelos for this instead of Voltolos.

U-Turn lets you bulk up on switches and get out if you need to, thanks to Tornelos' high speed, you can do so without too much worry. Crunch and Hammer Arm/Brick Break gives you very good coverage (though you forgo baiting opportunities, unless you opt out of a STAB move for some reason). The choice between Hammer Arm and Brick Break is one of power, reliability and also whether or not you think you can afford the speed drop. Hidden Power can also be used in order to circumvent counters and checks, like steel types or premiere physical walls, like Hippowdon, or to just HP Fire other things, like Scizor, Nattorei and Skarmory.

Leftovers are for bulkier sets, but they have to use Aerial Ace for a physical STAB option, which is pretty middling. You can still keep Acrobat with Leftovers (in case of knock off or something) since it's only 5 BP lower. Alternatively, you can just use Air Slash, as Tornelos' Special Attack is at a whopping 125 after all; Air Slash also helps with dealing with Hippowdon, though I don't know if he can 2HKO without the Jewel/Orb. Life Orb is an option too, in order to have harder hitting coverage options, but a weaker STAB.

Notes: Not sure on the EV Spread, it could probably manage a bulkier spread since you're bulking up anyway. You may want to split speed and attack EVs into some defenses, but it really depends, despite getting this idea, I didn't do any actual calculations for it yet.

Voltolos can run a similar set, with the added option of STAB Wild Charge, though he lacks the option of using Acrobat and Air Slash. Voltolos can use this set without fear of Skarmory if it packs Thunderbolt as well, but he won't have access to Acrobat spam. Still, that may not actually be necessary.
Though as Fluffy Otters mentioned, STAB Acrobat is so powerful you won't need Hammer Arm OR Crunch, so you can just run:

Tornelos @ Flight Jewel / Leftovers / Life Orb
Mischievous Heart
Jolly / Naive
EV Spread: 252 Speed / 252 Attack / 6 HP
+Bulk Up
+Acrobat / Air Slash
+Brick Break / Grass Knot / Hidden Power
+U-Turn / Hidden Power

It's not necessary to run any Hidden Powers, though they can net you some surprise skills and can help dealing with Skarmory, who would phaze you all day otherwise. Grass Knot is there for Hippowdon, but Brick Break really helps with dealing with Tyranitar. You can go mixed with Air Slash too if you opt for a different item. The EV spread is done the generic sweeper way because Tornelos isn't all too bulky in the first place, and though bulk up may help, it's not going to stop too many STAB Stone Edges/Rock Slides without at least +2. Though you can probably EV him to survive at +1, the speed is really important to have, especially with a good base 111 speed.

The biggest counter to this set I would say is Zapdos, who resists your Acrobat with it's high defenses and threatens you with STAB Thunderbolt. It also won't care too much about your coverage options either, even if you do pack HP Ice / HP Rock.

Why should MH be used in BU sets? Only your BU gets the priority, and Competitive Spirit gives you intimidate immunity (dont it?)

Why should MH be used in BU sets? Only your BU gets the priority, and Competitive Spirit gives you intimidate immunity (dont it?)
Well Priority BU will let you tank hits better if things try attacking you while you're busy boosting up.

I'm a REALLY big fan of the Bulk Up Tornelos set posted above, but I find that Taunt is a superior option.

Tornelos@Flight Jewel
Jolly; 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Taunt
Acrobat
Bulk Up
Brick Break

This is really useful against various walls, preventing them from doing anything while you set up in their face. Gliscor? Taunt its Protect and proceed to slowly wall its hits with priority Bulk Up (it can be 2HKOd with +1 Acrobat, without Flight Jewel). Hippowdon? If it lacks Ice Fang or Stone Edge, it is literally helpless as you continue to boost and eventually sweep. It really helps in breaking stall and a priority Taunt is always helpful.

Acrobat + Brick Break give perfect coverage outside of Voltolos and Zapdos, so pack Garchomp or something that will scare them off.

Taunt gives you a reason to use MH, and Flying/Fighting is only resisted by Electric/Flying, of which we have four, two of which are used and one of which who should be used. MH taunt is the way to go.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
^so will his electric counter part since both get priority Rain Dance and both get a 100% acc 120 BP Stab (and electric is arguably a better stab compared to flying) :/

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I was under the impression that Flying is usually considered a bad type because most of its moves suck. Resisted by Electric, Rock, and Steel, but Steel resists most other stuff too and Rock isn't a very good defensive type.

^In Rain, Hurricane most definitely does not suck. Also, Rock- and Steel-types are covered by Focus Blast / Brick Break so its really just bulkier electric types that give issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)