Trick Room in the 5th Generation

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
(I realise there is a thread about Trick Room already but this is not a discussion strictly about the move, but about the playstyle in general. Besides, I'm a mod :pimp:)

Smogon said:
For 5 turns, slower Pokémon move before faster ones, thus reversing the normal turn order. However, the turn Trick Room is used counts as a turn and thus the effects will be usable only for the next four turns. However, the user of Trick Room will not always go first, as until it is used, normal circumstances apply. This does not affect priority—higher priority moves will still be used before lower priority ones. Pokémon with Full Incense, Lagging Tail, Quick Claw, or Stall completely ignore Trick Room. Using Trick Room when Trick Room is already in effect will remove Trick Room.
note: that's the 4th gen description and I believe the mechanics have remained unchanged going into the fifth gen. There were a few rumors but it seems that's all they were. It's also worth noting that I will be discussing DW abilities in this thread so bear that in mind.

Trick Room has been a controversial subject since its introduction in the 4th Generation. Ask any experienced player and he'll probably tell you it's a gimmick. A pointless strategy that should be confined to fun teams and bad players. Will this still be the case in BW? It's too early to say but lets look into it.

The discussion in this forum so far (and early playtesting notes from PO) seem to suggest that the metagame will be dominated by heavy offense. Typical 4th Gen heavy offense teams generally consist of a Stealth Rock/dual screen lead and 5 fast sweepers who usually rely on typing synergy and occasional sacrifices followed by revenge kills to deal with opposing offensive threats. It's easy to see why such a team would throw a fit against a well constructed Trick Room team. The theory is that if heavy offense does become the standard team, then Trick Room has the potential to become the perfect anti-metagame team.

How will a 5th Gen Trick Room probably look?

Honestly, probably not too different to the 4th Gen versions. See Gen Empoleon's 'A Guide to DPP Trick Room' for some extended reading. The idea has always been to have a few sturdy Pokemon to set up and refresh Trick Room and then to have a few Pokemon with sky-high offensive capabilities, poor speed and usable bulk who can take advantage of the warped dimensions.

Who learns Trick Room?

I will leave out stuff like Abra and Gastly but I'm going to mention certain pre-evolutions on account of the new item which raises the Defense and SpD of unevolved Pokemon.

Alakazam
Slowbro
Gengar
Hypno
Exeggutor
Starmie
Mr. Mime
Jynx
Porygon
Mewtwo
Mew
Xatu
Espeon
Slowking
Girafarig
Porygon2
Stantler
Celebi
Gardevoir
Grumpig
Spinda
Solrock
Lunatone
Claydol
Kecleon
Banette
Dusclops
Chimecho
Jirachi
Deoxys
Mismagius
Bronzong
Porygon-z
Gallade
Dusknoir
Uxie
Azelf
Mesprit
Dialga
Palkia
Cresselia
Arceus
Victini
Musharna (Psychic @ 116/55/85/107/95/29)
Kokoromori (Psychic/Flying @ 67/57/55/77/114)
Tabunne (Normal @ 103/60/85/60/86/50)
Erufuun (Grass @ 60/67/85/77/75/116)
Shinpora (Psychic/Flying @ 72/58/80/103/80/97)
Desukan (Ghost @ 58/50/145/95/105/30)
Gochiruzeru (Psychic @ 70/55/95/95/110/65)
Rankurusu (Psychic @ 110/65/75/125/85/30)
Burungeru (Water/Ghost @ 100/60/70/85/105/60)
Gigigear (Steel @ 60/100/115/70/85/90)
Oobemu (Psychic @ 75/75/75/125/95/40)
Shanderaa (Ghost/Fire @ 60/55/90/145/90/80)
Meloetta (Normal/Psychic @ 100/77/77/128/128/90)

Some notes...

- Dusclops is an interesting 'new' addition thanks to the Pre-Evolution Stone. Whilst holding it, and running 252 HP and 252 Def with a Relaxed nature, he sports defenses of 284/591/444.

- Porygon2 benefits from the Pre-Evolution store too. This, combined with Trace and Recover means he will likely see a lot of use on Trick Room teams.

- Slowbro, Slowking and Tabunne possess the fantastic combination of Trick Room and Regeneration allowing them to twist the dimensions and then heal 33% of their health as they switch out.

- Rankurusu seems to be created with setting up Trick Room in mind. Decent defensive stats, Magic Guard and Recover allow him to refresh Trick Room with ease. 125 SpA and 30 Spe also allow him to deal damage if he chooses to do so.

- Exeggutor's DW ability, Harvest, allows him to use a berry infinitely. Slap a Lum Berry on him, teach him Rest and you've got a sturdy, powerful Trick Room user with the perfect recovery move and immunity to all status + confusion.

- My favorite Trick Room user is:

Celebi @ Lagging Tail
Relaxed 0 Spe IV (incase of Knock Off I guess?)
252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
- Trick Room
- Recover
- U-turn
- Leaf Storm / filler move of choice.

Lagging Tail negates the effects of Trick Room and ensures that Celebi will always go last no matter what. This allows Celebi to set up Trick Room, absorb a hit and U-turn out getting your sweeper in unscathed. This is invaluable if you're using a frail TR sweeper such as Marowak or Rampardos. Legendary bulk, Natural Cure, useful resistances and Recover allow Celebi to usually refresh Trick Room a few times throughout the match.

- Your Trick Room user needn't be so defensive (and arguably useless outside of it's primary role). Such examples are OTR Bronzong and Trick Room Slowking.

- Another example of a Trick Room user who can fulfil other roles is the Dual Screen Uxie that -Life- posted:

-Life- said:
Uxie @ Light Clay
Levitate
Jolly 252/0/4/0/0/252
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Trick Room
- U-Turn

Basically throw up an appropriate screen against something slower, TR, and U-Turn out to a sweeper. The speed EVs are necessary to get in a slow U-Turn under TR and throw up screens quickly outside of it. I don't think I need to mention how useful screens are for set-up and sweeps with Trick Room.

Hurry up and get to the new sweepers!

ok >_<

A Trick Room sweeper needs to be able to deal huge amounts of damage and have poor speed. Ideally they won't need to use a boosting move because by the time you've used Trick Room, switched in your sweeper and used your boosting move you only have 2 turns to sweep left. However, there are scenarios where boosting would be beneficial...but the best TR sweepers are the ones who aren't reliant on it. Anyway, here's a few of the new Pokemon that could see use on Trick Room teams.

Roopushin @ Flame Orb
Guts
Brave 0 Spe IV
120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SpD
- Hammer Arm
- Stone Edge
- Facade
- Payback / Mach Punch

- Flame Orb in conjunction with 140 base Atk means Roopushin is operating with 624 Atk.
- Absolute minimum speed of 85.
- Great defensive stats of 381 HP, 226 Def and 200 Special Defense.
- Can't really handle Ghosts because Payback sucks during Trick Room.
- He looks nails.

Gigaisu @ Life Orb
Sand Strength
Brave 0 Spe IV
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Heavy Bomber
- Explosion

- Should only be used if you can guarantee Sandstorm support.
- Sand Strength boosts the power of Stone Edge, Earthquake and Heavy Bomber by 30% (correct me if I'm wrong there please)
- 406 Atk, 25 base Spe makes him one of the slowest Pokemon on the game.
- With Sandstorm support you're looking at 374 HP / 296 Def / 265 SpD.
- Explosion, even with the nerf, is a good move for a Trick Room user as it helps you to dictate the flow of play. Trick Room about to end? No problem, just explode to hopefully kill something and then bring your TR user back out.
- He also looks nails.

Emboar @ Leftovers / Expert Belt
Reckless
Brave 0 Spe IV
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Flare Blitz
- Head Smash
- Wild Bolt
- Hammer Arm

- Reckless + 120 Atk + hits 10/17 types super effective means he has a very high damage output.
- 121 min speed. Not super-slow but enough to get the job done. Only base 40 Spe and below Pokemon will be slower.
- Dies from recoil very quickly but will hopefully have caused a whole load of damage before that happens.
- Not very bulky. There's probably a much better defensive spread but the HP investment helps with the recoil.
- Looks better from behind, don't you think?

Kurimugan @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Rough Skin
Brave 0 Spe IV
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Superpower / Fire Fang

- Not the best movepool in the world but Outrage is the main attraction.
- Choice items are usually not ideal on Trick Room teams but the idea would be to weaken your opponents Steels and then spam Choice Band Outrage later on to clean up. Choice Band STAB Outrage from 120 Atk is terrifying especially when you can't outrun it.
- 48 base Spe means he's even slower than Slowbro whilst under Trick Room.
- 358/217/216 defenses are quite impressive.

Baffuron @ Life Orb
Reckless
Brave 0 Spe IV
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Afro Breaker
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Wild Bolt

- Reasonaly high attack backed up by a fantastic STAB move in Reckless Afro Breaker.
- 350 Atk, 103 minimum speed.
- 394 HP / 226 Def / 226 SpD make for a very bulky sweeper.

CPU said:

Shibirudon @ Life Orb
Levitate
Brave/Quiet 0 Speed IV
252 Attack, 252 Special Attack
-Wild Bolt/Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-Grass Knot/Dragon Claw/Crunch

Shibirudon's a beautiful Mixed Attacker in Trick Room. Though it's not incredibly slow, only reaching 94 Speed, its Attacking stats and Movepool make it quite a threat. Wild Bolt or Thunderbolt are fairly self-explanatory; whichever one you pick is the premier STAB move. Flamethrower hits Grass, Steel, Ice (lol), and Bug Pokemon hard. Coverage is next. Grass Knot is recommended, as it hits the common Ground switch-ins to Shibirudon fairly hard, since they're usually heavy. Dragon Claw, naturally, nails the Dragon Pokemon that resist both Electric and Fire attacks, whereas Crunch hurts Ghosts and Psychic Types. Some other weaker coverage moves that it gets are Rock Slide, Brick Break, Flash Cannon, and U-turn.

Oobemu @ Life Orb
Synchronize
Quiet 2 Speed IV, 30 all else
252 Special Attack, 120 HP, 136 Defense
-Psychic/Psycho Shock
-Thunderbolt
-Energy Ball/Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power [Fighting]

The weird EVs are there for Hidden Power Fighting, which is necessary for coverage. Its high Special Attack allows it to hit quite hard, and not many things are going to outspeed it. Psycho Shock is an option so that Oobemu's not entirely walled by Specially Defensive Pokemon. There's not much too this set except to hit hard and prey on weaknesses. Psychic moves hit Fighting and Poison types; Thunderbolt hits Flying and Water; Energy Ball will also hit Water Types, but also hurts Ground and Rock Pokemon. Shadow Ball hits Ghosts and other Psychic types. Hidden Power Fighting rounds the set, and hits Pokemon such as Sazandra that would otherwise wall you.
-----

These new fearsome sweepers will be joined by Trick Room icons such as Marowak, Rampardos, Ursaring, Rhyperior, Clamperl, Machamp and the rest of the crew. There might even be a few new faces in there (Adaptability Crawdaunt perhaps?).

So this thread is for everybody to discuss Trick Room in the 5th Gen, post TR orientated sets, share their experiences with Trick Room or explain why you feel Trick Room is a gimmick if you're that way inclined. What about the possible relation between weather teams and Trick Room? Trick Room seems to be a death sentence to a Rain Dance team and makes Doryuuzu dead weight on a Sandstorm team. And could a Weather-based Trick Room team work?

Oh and one last thing - I know that there's no Damp Rock equivalent for Trick Room. I don't need to be reminded of it in every single post. ;p

I think Abagoora is worth a mention, plenty of the fast sweepers and stat uppers that Trick Room can cause trouble for can be hit SE by his STAB moves (Doryuuzu, Salamence, Urgamoth, Cloyster etc), and Sturdy and Solid Rock are good abilities. 108 Base Attack is definitely respectable, just a bit lower than Baffuron's, and 32 Base Speed means he's going to be outrunning almost anything in Trick Room.

Add Nattorei somewhere in there, he can be a even better version of TR Bronzong, only thing is that he cant set up TR like Bronzong. However, this is made up for with a lower speed Gyro Ball, Power Whip, higher attack, and MUCH better bulk.

Lee

@ Thick Club
@ scicky: Agaboora's great physical defense and Solid Rock make him quite a sturdy customer but I'm not convinced he has that terrifying damage output of a Roopushin or an Ursaring and I can't think of a scary enough set. What set would you suggest?

sora13 said:
he can be a even better version of TR Bronzong, only thing is that he cant set up TR like Bronzong
The fact he can't Trick Room makes him a hugely inferior version of TR Bronzong. If you're using a slow, offensively inept wall on a Trick Room team it generally needs to have Trick Room in it's arsenal to avoid being a wasted team slot. However, there may be some merit in a Swords Dance Nattorei set. I actually think a Trick Room team should have a booster or two to assist against stall teams but the fact that Nattorei can't break Steel types mean he probably isn't the best 'mon for the job.

KokoaKiwi said:
How useful would a quiet Shandera be in trick room? Just curious.
Well, he has a minimum Speed of 148. That's a little high for most peoples tastes as it means Shanderaa is still 'faster' than stuff like Machamp and Swampert. The option is always there to give him a Macho Brace to make him slower than virtually everything but your damage output is a lot less impressive without a Life Orb or similar boosting item. That said, Shadow Tag is such an insanely good ability that there will inevitably be uses for it. One such use would be using Shanderaa to trap and defeat the opposing Steel types to open up a Kurimugan sweep. That actually sounds quite effective. If we're talking Flash Fire Shanderaa then I would say it's suboptimal on a Trick Room team.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
How useful would a quiet Shandera be in trick room? Just curious.
Eh, I'd personally say that Shandera is sitting in a bit of a sticky spot, not quite fast enough on a regular team, but not slow enough for a Trick Room team; it got the curse of average speed.

From my experience with Trick Room, it depends far more on the setters than it does the sweepers, because outside of Trick Room those sweepers are completely helpless. Generally Trick Room teams want a bulky setter. A prime example of this would be Dual Screen TR Uxie:

@ Light Clay
Levitate
Jolly 252/0/4/0/0/252
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Trick Room
- U-Turn

Basically throw up an appropriate screen against something slower, TR, and U-Turn out to a sweeper. The speed EVs are necessary to get in a slow U-Turn under TR and throw up screens quickly outside of it. I don't think I need to mention how useful screens are for set-up and sweeps with Trick Room.

A Trick Room team's greatest asset is a pokemon that can both set and abuse Trick Room (example: Palkia in 4th gen Ubers). Victini could potentially pull of such a set with V-Generate and Trick Room.

Next we come to TR sweepers who can't use Trick Room. These are best when they can kill themselves within three turns due to recoil or Explosion (Lee's Emboar set is an excellent example of this.) OR they carry a powerful priority move. (example: SD Scizor).

This brings me to my last point. Stat-up moves are HORRIBLE in Trick Room. They waste a precious turn and are likely not doing anything for you after TR goes down. (Although there are a few exceptions, such as, again, SD Scizor.)

Shubarugo is a excellent Trick Room abuser.

It's speed (a lame base 20) means it's going to outspeed basically anything under TR.
Coupled with very good defenses (70/105/105),very good defensive typing, huge attack (135), with a STAB 120 BP attack and Swords Dance, it can put quite a dent with ease.
The only problem being the movepool IMO.

breh

強いだね
slow pokemon (I believe the fastest that I added was Goruggo, at 55 base speed)

Goruggo

Copypasted from analysis

Trick Room Sweeper Suggested by Pokemon.
Goruggo@Life Orb
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Hp, 4 Def
Nature: Brave
Moves:

Dynamic Punch
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Shadow Punch

Make sure to only use this when you have Trick Room support. When coupled with a 0 Speed IV and a Brave nature, Goruggo reaches a sluggish 103 Speed, enough to 'outrun' Rhyperior and friends, and hit them hard with a STAB Earthquake. Earthquake and Shadow Punch serve as your STAB attacks, while Dynamic Punch and Stone Edge are there for coverage.

Maggyo (lol)

Tsunbeaa

Copypasted from the thread, slightly edited

Choice Band
Tsunbeaa@Choice Band
Nature: Brave
IVs: 0 Spe
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Att, 4 Def
-Avalanche
-Night Slash
-Superpower
-Stone Edge

Oobeemu (outclassed by Rankurusu but Double Psychic (Alakazam and Gardevoir pair) worked well for me in 4th gen uu)
Shibirudon
Nattorei (not the greatest sweeper though)
Morobareru (FASTEST SPORE IN THE GAME... tied with Parasect lol)

[SET]
name: Trick Room
move 1: Spore
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Giga Drain / Energy Ball
move 4: Toxic
item: Life Orb
ability: Regeneration
nature: Quiet
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def

Tentative, highly offensive set I made.... basically sleep stuff and go from there.

Shubarugo (as M Blade noted though its movepool is shit.. oh well some use for +2 120 BP moves can be found I guess)
Abarooga (conflicts greatly with Shell break)

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Aqua Tail
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Aqua Jet
item: Choice Band
ability: Solid Rock
nature: Brave
ivs: 0 Spe
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

Desukan

[SET]
name: Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Nasty Plot
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: HP Fighting
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
ability: Mummy
nature: Quiet / Relaxed
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD

Basically the guy below me's set; it works like TR Slowking

Iwaperasu (again conflicts with shell break)
Nageki (outclassed by Roopushin)

Hope this helps; will add more sets later.

This is missing some Desukaan. Pretty bulky and able to set up Trick Room or sweep in a pinch with

~Trick Room
~Nasty Plot
~Shadow Ball
~HP Fighting

I would use it over Dusknoir as a Trick Room inducer and decent check to some physical Pokemon.

Shubarugo is a good Trick Room Pokemon, despite having awful coverage. Shibirudon also doesn't have to worry about its Speed in Trick Room very much.

Shubarugo @ Life Orb/Liechi Berry/Focus Sash
Swarm
Brave 0 Speed IV
252 Attack, 252 HP, 4 Special Defense
-X-Scissor/Megahorn
-Iron Head
-Faint Attack/Pursuit/Swords Dance
-Reversal

Not much is going before this in Trick Room with 40 Speed. It also hits insanely hard off of a 405 Attack Stat. X-Scissor and Faint Attack are illegal together, and though a neutral Iron Head hits Ghosts just as hard as a Super Effective Faint Attack, some things like Burungeru won't be taking much from it. Unfortunately, Megahorn and Faint Attack are illegal together, so choose either Pursuit or Faint Attack if you want a Ghost coverage move. Swords Dance is also an option if you really want to hit hard. 344/246/247 Defensive stats aren't bad. Life Orb allows Shubarugo to hit hard right off of the bat, whereas Liechi Berry will increase its power when its HP gets low, perfect for Swarm and Reversal. Bug/Steel Types draw Fire Attacks like none else, so you can hold a Focus Sash to survive the blaze and retaliate with a powerful Reversal or Megahorn.

Shibirudon @ Life Orb
Levitate
Brave/Quiet 0 Speed IV
252 Attack, 252 Special Attack
-Wild Bolt/Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower

Shibirudon's a beautiful Mixed Attacker in Trick Room. Though it's not incredibly slow, only reaching 94 Speed, its Attacking stats and Movepool make it quite a threat. Wild Bolt or Thunderbolt are fairly self-explanatory; whichever one you pick is the premier STAB move. Flamethrower hits Grass, Steel, Ice (lol), and Bug Pokemon hard. Coverage is next. Grass Knot is recommended, as it hits the common Ground switch-ins to Shibirudon fairly hard, since they're usually heavy. Dragon Claw, naturally, nails the Dragon Pokemon that resist both Electric and Fire attacks, whereas Crunch hurts Ghosts and Psychic Types. Some other weaker coverage moves that it gets are Rock Slide, Brick Break, Flash Cannon, and U-turn. If you want to use a disposable Item, Acrobat can be used to get a powerful 110 Flying Type attack.

Oobemu @ Life Orb
Synchronize
Quiet 2 Speed IV, 30 all else
252 Special Attack, 120 HP, 136 Defense
-Psychic/Psycho Shock
-Thunderbolt
-Energy Ball/Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power [Fighting]

The weird EVs are there for Hidden Power Fighting, which is necessary for coverage. Its high Special Attack allows it to hit quite hard, and not many things are going to outspeed it. Psycho Shock is an option so that Oobemu's not entirely walled by Specially Defensive Pokemon. There's not much too this set except to hit hard and prey on weaknesses. Psychic moves hit Fighting and Poison types; Thunderbolt hits Flying and Water; Energy Ball will also hit Water Types, but also hurts Ground and Rock Pokemon. Shadow Ball hits Ghosts and other Psychic types. Hidden Power Fighting rounds the set, and hits Pokemon such as Sazandra that would otherwise wall you.

I personally think that Double and Triple Battles will be the best places for Trick Room, allowing for more moves in that short time period.

Hey I made the other TR thread! Meh you were somewhat more thorough then I was. But I was focusing more on the best new set uppers. I would be ok with you just deleting my old topic and taking the set-uppers I suggested and putting them in this thread (with some credit to me).

Well, Nattorei can use Swords Dance and 2 very pówerful STAB moves (well, Gyro Ball not so much) with a decent atk while still being an defensive ass.
The problem is fire pokes since Nattorei lacks a single move to hit them for SE or at least good damage. Pretty much the same problem of Shubarugo.

Mamanbou can ditch out powerful Hydro Pump off a 40 base stat, also effectively stalling out the enemy, thus wasting all your Trick Room turns. A good addition nonetheless.

Another slow one with high attacking stats is Shibirudon, and this one has a decent enough movepool to abuse. Flamethrower, Grass Knot, Crunch, STAB move, has Coil too.

I personally think that Double and Triple Battles will be the best places for Trick Room, allowing for more moves in that short time period.
This is a good point. If VGC has shown us anything, it's that Trick Room is popular in doubles. However, in Doubles and Triples you run the risk of the setters being easily targeted by Taunters and Encorers. Which just made me realize how hard Erufuun shits on TR teams.

Unfortunately, no; it only protects against Surf, Heat Wave, and other moves that hit all of the opposing Pokemon.

Oh. I thought it worked like protect for your partner.

Espeon and Xatu are still options, thanks to magic mirror.

Well, Nattorei can use Swords Dance and 2 very pówerful STAB moves (well, Gyro Ball not so much) with a decent atk while still being an defensive ass.
The problem is fire pokes since Nattorei lacks a single move to hit them for SE or at least good damage. Pretty much the same problem of Shubarugo.
If you're using Swords Dance it can kill Steel and Fire types with Level Ground at least...you might as well use SD or Curse since it doesn't have the immediate attack power and doesn't really have any other good coverage moves anyway...yeah, pretty much the same problem as Shubarugo.

Shirubago can at least use Double-Edge (SD/Megahorn/Iron Head/Double-Edge. Avoid Heatran and you're fine). Spam Megahorn, Iron Head some foes and use Double-Edge when needed.

Nattorei can SD and use Power Whip/ Level Ground (i missed that)/ Gyro Ball or coverage move (Explosion mainly). Remember that Nattorei can be used in Trick Room teams because of the very very good typing and defenses while still being somewhat powerful.

Daruma mode could be very useful... if it was a real poke, not a crappy mode with nice stats.

And last: Oobemu can hit really hard with Nasty Plot, and this one can set Trick Room too (and has Recover to boot). Probably will be a staple on TR teams.

Lee

@ Thick Club
Edited the OP to include some of the better ideas that have been posted. I'm sorry but Shubarugo is not getting up there. When you need to start suggesting stuff like Faint Attack and Reversal you know there's something wrong. To be blunt, it sucks.

-Life- said:
This brings me to my last point. Stat-up moves are HORRIBLE in Trick Room. They waste a precious turn and are likely not doing anything for you after TR goes down. (Although there are a few exceptions, such as, again, SD Scizor.)
I agree with this so much that I bolded it (I touched upon it in the op). However, I think there are grounds to have at least one boosting sweeper on your team for the purposes of weakening stall. Stall teams will generally have the defenses and syngery to withstand your unboosted attacks and won't really give a shit if they're going first or second. You need something that can break through them or at least remove a key member. Trick Room vs Stall is an interesting match-up but I think ultimately stall will have the advantage so it's important to have ways to beat it. Just make sure that the stat booster in question can function without using the boosting move so that he isn't too much of a burden against non-stall teams.

I love your Uxie set btw which reminds me; screens are another reason why you can potentially afford to have a boosting sweeper in your team. If you have Reflect and Light Screen up and a healthy +2 [insert bulky Trick Room sweeper here] it's not the end of the world when Trick Room ends. You'll have a very good chance of being able to withstand a few more attacks and continue your rampage.

or that knows trick room. I'm not sure if I put this in my thread (I think I did though):

Exeggutor@petaya berry
Harvest, quiet, 0 speed iv
252 spa/ max hp evs to be divisible by 4/ rest def
Trick room
Substitute
Psycho shock
Energy ball

Sub down to the petaya berry. It will give you a plus two boost the first turn. As your final sub is broken use trick room (petaya boosts to +3). Sweep, targeting walls on their lower defence. Hail/sandstorm as well as priority could be a problem though. I wish they gave a poke a clear skies ability (not cloud nine, one that clears weather permenently until it's started again.

Edited the OP to include some of the better ideas that have been posted. I'm sorry but Shubarugo is not getting up there. When you need to start suggesting stuff like Faint Attack and Reversal you know there's something wrong. To be blunt, it sucks.

I agree with this so much that I bolded it (I touched upon it in the op). However, I think there are grounds to have at least one boosting sweeper on your team for the purposes of weakening stall. Stall teams will generally have the defenses and syngery to withstand your unboosted attacks and won't really give a shit if they're going first or second. You need something that can break through them or at least remove a key member. Trick Room vs Stall is an interesting match-up but I think ultimately stall will have the advantage so it's important to have ways to beat it. Just make sure that the stat booster in question can function without using the boosting move so that he isn't too much of a burden against non-stall teams.

I love your Uxie set btw which reminds me; screens are another reason why you can potentially afford to have a boosting sweeper in your team. If you have Reflect and Light Screen up and a healthy +2 [insert bulky Trick Room sweeper here] it's not the end of the world when Trick Room ends. You'll have a very good chance of being able to withstand a few more attacks and continue your rampage.
Another exception is when a bulky Trick Room inducer is able to also set up and attack.
I had a TR team in which the Slowking below was often a star member:

~Trick Room
~Nasty Plot
~Surf
~Grass Knot/Ice Beam

In fact, this Slowking could function in ordinary teams as a late game headache.
However, it is a general rule that Trick Room sweepers that inherit the effect from an ally simply do not have time to set up.

Rankurusu @ Life Orb
Quiet Nature (+SpA, -Speed)
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
IVs: 0 Speed
- Trick Room
- Psycho Shock / Psychic
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power
- Shadow Ball / Energy Ball / Hidden Power

I'm honestly surprised the jelly man hasn't been mentioned outside of the OP yet. Not only can he set up Trick Room but his big SpA can cause some pretty big dents in other Pokémon. You can either run the unresisted Psychic/Fighting/Ghost attacks or choose Energy Ball to swat away bulky waters, or run your choice of Hidden Power to KO what you need to.

breh

強いだね
Uhh... Are we only supposed to be mentioning new pokes? I must note that Sand Strength Hippowdon is deadly in TR; CB and Sand Strength yield essentially a +4 boost instantaneously, while EQ, crunch, and SE are ridiculously strong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)