United States Nationals Thread - WON BY WESLEY MORIOKA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lost to quick claw, essentially :[ I misplayed the last few turns of the third match since I was afraid of quick claw(although that didn't necessarily matter), but never would've been at round 3 if I didn't get haxed in R1 by quick claw >:[

I'm probably fucked as far as going to Worlds goes, minimum price I can find for airfare atm is $750, and that doesn't include hotel, incidental travel(ferry to the right island, etc), or food.
NOOO! You can't go to worlds!? Aww ='(

Sorry you got haxed by the way. I was hoping for you and Deagle to do well, representing some of the greatest on Pokemon Online!

Did anyone upload the battle video to the GTS by the way?

I think BI is through to worlds, pokerob. At least if the information is correct in this thread and he made top 8

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Great to see Huy and skarm get their trips to worlds at least. I'd like to see a skarm > Huy finals.

People should try to get a petition to get rid of a timer. They got rid of the lottery for people to get in the VGC and increased the amount of people. If people were able to do that we should be able to get rid of a timer!

People should try to get a petition to get rid of a timer. They got rid of the lottery for people to get in the VGC and increased the amount of people. If people were able to do that we should be able to get rid of a timer!
The lottery was petitioned because it was not fair to ALL players.
Timed matches are fair for all players, so i do not see why it should be petitioned. Every game has time limits to prevent unneeded wait time. The TCG has time limits, Yugioh has time limits, the Superboul has time limits - Time limits are a part of life, so i say deal with it.

True =-P, but it does make the game a bit fairer and for all the single elimination battles there is no time limit, just a time to start. People were willing to wait for 383 battles in the first round of the Newark VGC. This one is split into two different days so it is quite possible for them to get rid of a time limit, and if they still want one why not make it an even hour instead of 45 minutes?

True =-P, but it does make the game a bit fairer and for all the single elimination battles there is no time limit, just a time to start. People were willing to wait for 383 battles in the first round of the Newark VGC. This one is split into two different days so it is quite possible for them to get rid of a time limit, and if they still want one why not make it an even hour instead of 45 minutes?
45 Minutes for 3 games? that is more than fair. As long as you are not blatantly stalling your games should be just fine. And if your opponent is stalling by not selecting actions - call a judge for stalling and proper penalty's will be given. If it becomes a continuing issue, they will DQ the person who was stalling.

45 Minutes for 3 games? that is more than fair. As long as you are not blatantly stalling your games should be just fine. And if your opponent is stalling by not selecting actions - call a judge for stalling and proper penalty's will be given. If it becomes a continuing issue, they will DQ the person who was stalling.
I am just saying this because apparently some people lost because of the time and you can honestly not predict how the game will end which makes the final outcome possibly unfair for one player. I personally only made it to the Top 32 in Newark and just am following from the updates.

I'm scared for the VGC next year. 3vs3 battles are now confirmed if you hadn't heard. GUYS WHAT DO WE DO

my brain = broke

It might be 6 v 6. It isn't exactly a confirmation, it is just a possibility. 3v3, that will be very difficult. 4 v 4 Doubles is so much easier! Well, with new pokemon and moves this will be exceptionally difficult, even with a new RNG (Probably) that will need to be cracked.

It might be 6 v 6. It isn't exactly a confirmation, it is just a possibility. 3v3, that will be very difficult. 4 v 4 Doubles is so much easier! Well, with new pokemon and moves this will be exceptionally difficult, even with a new RNG (Probably) that will need to be cracked.
I know, but it really makes you think. It would probably get a little crazy with all the Follow Me and Explosion spam. Seriously....

I hope they keep the doubles format really badly.

I was just thinking of a Ghost like Giratina-O, Metagross and Palkia in that. You can't use Fake Out anymore because it will be useless in 3 v 3. You can use priority, explode and do heavy damage, but you need to remember all the Gen 5 pokemons and the new moves. I want to compete in next years VGC, but at the same time I am leaning towards waiting for 2012 (Oh no! The end of the world) and skipping 2011.

I know, but it really makes you think. It would probably get a little crazy with all the Follow Me and Explosion spam. Seriously....

I hope they keep the doubles format really badly.
Agreed, though maybe I'll have to wait and see triple battles with my own eyes to see if it's really as crazy as it sounds... so I'll instead say I semi-hope they'll keep the double battle format for 2011.

And congratulations to everyone who made it big in the Nationals, and good luck at Worlds! I of course couldn't make it to Nats this year, but I'm definitely planning ahead for 2011. All this news on B&W just makes me all the more excited.

I was just thinking of a Ghost like Giratina-O, Metagross and Palkia in that. You can't use Fake Out anymore because it will be useless in 3 v 3. You can use priority, explode and do heavy damage, but you need to remember all the Gen 5 pokemons and the new moves. I want to compete in next years VGC, but at the same time I am leaning towards waiting for 2012 (Oh no! The end of the world) and skipping 2011.
It's usefulness will be lessened, but I don't think if Fake Out would be useless.

How do they determine who wins when a timeout occurs? Remaining pokemon, games already won, or just analysis of game and predicted out come if hax's didn't occur?
Here's an excerpt of the rules from the Nationals Tournament Operations page on pokemonvgc.com:
Tiebreakers
Competitors have 45 minutes to complete their best-of-3 match during each Single Elimination round. When time is called during an unfinished match, the judges must determine who the winner of the match is. The judges will determine the winner of the current game based on the criteria below.

Remaining Pokémon
The tournament staff will assess the number of Pokémon that each player has remaining.

• If one player has more remaining Pokémon, that player wins the game.
  • If both players have the same number of Pokémon remaining, the result of the game is determined by average percentage of HP remaining, as described below.
Percentage of HP Remaining
The tournament staff will assess the average percentage of HP remaining for all Pokémon that haven’t fainted.

• If one player has a higher average percentage of HP remaining, that player wins the game.
  • If both players have the same average HP remaining, the result of the game is determined by Sudden Death, as described below.
Sudden Death
Players will be required to gain an advantage in number of remaining Pokémon over their opponent. The staff will evaluate the game at the end of each turn to determine if an advantage has been gained. After each turn has completed, the tournament staff will determine the number of Pokémon that each player has remaining.

• If both players have the same number of Pokémon remaining at the end of the turn, the game continues for another turn.
  • If a player has more remaining Pokémon than his or her opponent at the end of any turn, that player wins the game.
Once the winner of the active game has been determined, the following criteria will be used to determine the winner of the match, based on which game in the match has just been completed.

Game 1:
The winner of game 1 wins the match.

Game 2:
If the winner of game 2 also won game 1, that player wins the match.
If the winner of game 2 did not win game 1, the match is a tie. A new game is started using the Sudden Death rules listed above. The winner of the Sudden Death game wins the match.

Game 3:
The winner of game 3 wins the match.

I don't think there's much chance of them getting rid of the game/match timers. While stall teams are legitimate strategies (though more difficult to use in doubles), they want the tournament to progress in a timely manner, and the presence of a timer helps accomplish that. It does suck to lose a game on time that you know you would have won if you had been allowed to play it out (happens all the time in the TCG), but it's just part of the game, and it happens in many other kinds of games and sports as well.

I agree that 45 minutes for 3 games is very fair. It's nice to have the "turn timer" in PBR and other 3D games to prevent that type of stalling (your opponent taking forever to select their moves).

I'm scared for the VGC next year. 3vs3 battles are now confirmed if you hadn't heard. GUYS WHAT DO WE DO

my brain = broke
Ugh, I know! That would be WAY too complicated! Assuming B/W do come out in America in the spring and are used for the 2011 VGC, then no one will have really had a great deal of experience in any 5th gen metagame, unless they import the game early and practice with other people who did the same, or something similar.

Ugh, I know! That would be WAY too complicated! Assuming B/W do come out in America in the spring and are used for the 2011 VGC, then no one will have really had a great deal of experience in any 5th gen metagame, unless they import the game early and practice with other people who did the same, or something similar.
I'll be one of those people, along with some friends. If all goes well, I'll be in Japan about 4 days after release. I have the hotel booked, but you never know.

Congratulations to everyone who played!

So what teams got what place? No one has uploaded any battle videos to the GTS server yet? I can't wait for videos!

Worlds is a far way to have made it. Way to go everyone who made it. But honestly I don't think any of them have read my posts yet lol

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
idk, I think September 18th or shortly after (depending on when the ROMs are available, or when people importing get the games in the mail) would be enough time. I doubt people will have trouble coming up with teams, even with new Pokemon and a new banlist. We'll have access to all the new moves/movepools, base stats, etc. around the time Japan does.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I just got home a couple hours ago. I'm exhausted beyond belief, but had an amazing weekend. It was incredible to meet the next generation of Smogon, with some new old schoolers thrown in for good measure. I have 125 pics and vids to sift through, expect a story sometime.

The Super Bowl has a set amount of time it is played within, not a limit. It is not like yugioh or pokemon where you have a set ending point of the match, any sports match is up for contention unless it is a horrible blowout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)