Why the hell aren't you using him yet!?! (Rhyperior Discussion)

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I am using it, thanks for ruining it for me Colonel M :(.

But yeah I've found that by far, the most effective set is the Rock Polish (Megahorn as fourth move) one. Late game, its ability to take out slightly weakened threats and such is second to none, i love it and have been scoffing at all those who call Rhyperior "useless".

I like the Swords Dance Life Orb set myself. Absolutely annihilates stall teams, switching into Blissey with impunity, then destroying everything with a 1081 attack Earthquake or Stone Edge. It can OHKO Swampert and almost OHKO Skarmory after the boost.

The problem with Rhyperior is that there are other pokemon who can do the same things better.

As a bulky ground it is outclassed by the likes of Hippowdon, Gliscor, Swampert and maybe even Donphan. The former two have a reliable instant recovery move while Swampert only has one weakness and Donphan has Ice Shard to scare away those annoying Skymins.

As an attacker, I'd rather use Lucario for swords dancing and Metagross for Rock Polishing. Those two are a lot more frightening once they set up. Lucario has higher speed and the movepool to hurt pretty much anything while Metagross has few weaknesses and the tempting Explosion.

Not to say that Rhyperior isn't good, but I certainly believe there are better options out there.

I think someon back in the Ho-oh thread said something about Rhyperior being able to OHKO Ho-oh while using Roost with ) Zero Attack EVs. Personally, I think Hammer Arm is great on Rhyperior in Trick Room.

On another note, Rhyperior has an awesome movepool-14 different physical attacking types available to it. The only types it doesn't have damaging moves for are the Grass, Psychic, and Flying.

It has moves like:
Double-Edge/Return
Megahorn
Poison Jab
Earthquake
Iron Tail
Stone Edge/Rock Slide
Shadow Claw
Superpower/Hammer Arm
Aqua Tail
Fire Punch
Crunch
Dragon Claw/Outrage
ThunderPunch
Ice Punch

Although it's special attack is horrible, its movepool is amazing
Just some examples.

Hyper Beam
AncientPower
Earth Power
Flash Cannon
Focus Blast
Surf
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Flamethrower/Fire Blast
Dragon Pulse

It's just outclassed in OU. If it had a reliable recovery move, I'm pretty sure it would be OU.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'll post some comments:

jenigmat429 said:
Though I agree with you. The hardest part about using Rhyperior for me is the fact that Rhyperior and both Hippowdon and Tyranitar share a lot of key weaknesses. While Rhyperior can easily tank a lot of even super effective hits, it because a lot easier for something like Skymin to gain a critical advantage by having a huge advantage over a third of your team. Though I can attest to the strengths of your Substitute set; I used something similar once and it caught many teams off guard. People are so used to dismissing Rhyperior that they don't realise that the pre-DP hype had a reason behind it: fantastic stats and a great ability with the Sandstorm boost is just amazing.
You are correct. But I'd like to point out that overlapping weaknesses haven't stopped others before. Think of it like the Double Dragon theory in a way: why would you use two very similair Dragons? Because of the power that they have. Think of this similairly. I will admit, Ice is one of the few moves that Tyranitar isn't weak to. But the massive weaknesses never stopped a lot of people from using him. Rhyperior is usually tossed from the equation because of the nasty x4 weakness to Water and Grass. But here is where I'm going to ask you: have you stopped using Gyarados and Zapdos because of their Stealth Rock weakness? What about Shaymin-S and Zapdos? I could rant all day that many team combinations have a weakness to said move. You have to look at the bigger picture though, which is a problem for some. And about the Shaymin comment: Shaymin-S doesn't like switching into Stone Edge from either Tyranitar or Rhyperior, hates Heat Wave from Zapdos, and fears Ice Beam from Vaporeon. Shaymin-S might be causing switches, but other than the usual revenge kill, its not coming in very soon either.

latios315 said:
rhyperoir is a beast with trick romm but without it he's rather meh he just has too many weakness even with solid rock surfs hurt, usually a OHKO and shaymins seed flare will always OHKO
This is where I become extremely adamant about my statement. And usually, its these people that lose to me quickly. Besides, we already know that Rhyperior can't take these things. Thanks for stating the obvious. Tyranitar can't take a Close Combat either, so should we stop using him because of that? What about Shaymin-S and its NASTY amount of weaknesses? Ice, Fire, Rock and Flying. 3 of these type of moves are VERY common. Flying is somewhat common I'll admit though, from Togekiss that is. Because Rhyperior has weaknesses shouldn't mean that it should stop you from using him. Switching is for a reason, you know.
Venom said:
It's a pretty good pokemon, I can say it because of the testing I have done, Rhyperior under sand is a awesome tank, despite his weaknesses. And I have been using that defensive core for about months, having great success with it, but I guess somebody else figured it out already :(
Silly Venom. Other than Vaporeon, its also an excellent offensive core too. Though, I kind of wish Vaporeon would do a little more offensively. He's great though for what its intended to do. Should use more Special Attack EVs myself.
Bologo said:
*Interesting Calculation*
Wow, I didn't even know that. That's really cool how he can survive something that is THAT deadly though.
Bogmire said:
I tried using rhyperior recently and am pretty impressed with it as a tank. its defenses and ability are so ridiculous that impish max/max rhyperior has a slight chance at surviving an adamant +5 earthquake from tyranitar. it also survives a SD jolly LO close combat from lucario.
I believe this quote entirely. Many people have mistaken Rhyperior to be a wall. But used as a tank, offensively, or in between is the way to use him. Its definitely quite a threat with the massive Defense boost from Impish. Very versatile.
dr4g0n said:
Physically, Rhyperior is quite the tank, but I would still advise against using it as a general tank. The only special attacks it can take with ease is the electric ones.
I just showed you many Special Attacks that Rhyperior can take. Come on, these are the kind of posts that sort of tick me off.
Peachfuzz said:
This thread reminds me of the pre-DP Rhyperior hype threads that made it look unstoppable once the Special Defense boost to rock types in Sandstorm was introduced. Those threads are fun to read.

The Substitute set looks like an absolutely amazing wall breaker. Walls with weak attack stats can't do a thing if Toxic Spikes aren't up. Earthquakes from physical walls who don't invest in attack EVs don't do much, and Skarmory takes heavy damage from Swords Danced Stone Edges. It also outspeeds most of those walls. One of the best Tyranitar switch-ins too, short of Hidden Power [Grass].

Of course, since the beginning of DP, haven't we concluded that, although on paper it looks unstoppable, in practice it fails, as the metagame is too fast and too hard hitting for it?
I won't knock you down quite yet because you do bring a couple of good points that I would address. The problem was people didn't see Rhyperior as a whole and what it was capable of doing. Many people thought that Rhyperior could take 1000 hits and such and still survive and to leave it in against Starmie and such. People didn't see Rhyperior offensively and what it can do. To take such an ass Speed and to improve it to Shaymin-S at the very least is more than impressive.
Stathakis said:
imo since every team I make ends up with cbazumarill and sdluke and the like I never really liked rhyperior, simply because I never had trouble with it. if I were to run a set, it would prolly be rockpolish, though, seeing as usually people rely on outspeeding the behemoth to beat it, making the rp set thoroughly evil to today's metagame. I'd probably never even consider the subsd set lol.
Dude, I know you're better than this. I can understand why you may not use it, but don't scoff it off so easily. If you can control how to use him, it is more than deadly to a team.
MythTrainerInfinity said:
I've been using a Sub/EQ/Rock Slide/Fire Punch set and it basically lets you rape Bronzongs and Forretress with still keeping a Sub up. It can come in on Scizor too.

Thought that might be of some interest :)
Fire Punch is cool on it, but I don't think Bronzong is going to enjoy Megahorn (which I have personally used) and Forretress can't stand too many Earthquakes either. Actually, its sort of how I started off with the first set I listed. Except I thought Swords Dance might be worthy to try out, and... well, you get the picture.
darknessmalice said:
Rhyperior is awesome. But he has two main problems.

To be a special wall, he needs SS support. But he shares common weaknesses with TTar and Hippowdon.

Very tough competition. As a physical wall, there's Gliscor and Hippowdon with self-recovery, Donphan with Rapid Spin, Swampert with better typing. As a physical attacker, there's Scizor who can SD and still attack first, Metagross who can Rock Polish and reach higher stats, and Tar with CB Pursuit.

I find the set with the least competition is CB Rhyperior, because only Medicham and Ramparados outmatch him in Att., and they're so much more vulnerable than Rhyperior.
Other than the Choice Band statement, you just stated what NOT to do with Rhyperior to begin with: wall. And besides, I wouldn't count Gliscor that great of a wall since how common is it again?
Chris is me said:
I fail to see why I should use Polish Rhyperior over Metagross, personally, who can reach higher speeds with Adamant (and thus more Attack). I guess the typing's different, but Metagross generally does better as "bulky thing that goes fast all of the sudden" for me.
Here is why:
- Better STABs
- Solid Rock at least buffers Bullet Punch Scizor to prevent an OHKO.
- Easily can use Substitute if necessary.
- Sandstorm boosting his Special Defense to take Lucario Vacuum Waves lol.

Now I'll give you credit because Agility Metagross is quite the threat himself. But I wouldn't run home and say that Steel is the greatest STAB on earth (granted, Bullet Punch Scizor would argue differently, but there's more to it than that). Rhyperior does fine with two STABs while Metagross has to sometimes resort to 3 (or Explosion) to take other threats out.
SoT said:
I've recently started using the Sub SD Rhyperior mentioned above. I was iffy about it at first, but after using it for a while, and getting a feel for it, I believe it's one of the best decisions I have ever made. The raw power this guy brings to the table is amazing, and after a SD, not to many things stand a chance. Yeah, everyone says he's to slow, but that's what I like about him. You don't know how many Skarms I have killed while they roost on me because of this lack of speed. Yeah you can say that is what hurts it the most, but that's what I believe is the beauty of using this guy. Not anyone can use this, it actually takes quite amount of skill, when to set up, when to attack, when to sub stall. It's all risk and reward, and that's why I beleive it's my kind of pokemon. =D

All in all, I believe he is a very good pokemon, in should be given some thought when building teams. He is a great offensive threat, and is one hell of a defensive monster. Rhyperior for OU!
SoT, you have taken the very words out of my mouth. I shall add this to the OP along with Bologo's comment about surviving Seed Flare.
Lee said:
Heh, I used to run that set a lot but I used Megahorn over Fire Punch. Megahorn easily OHKO's Celebi and deals hefty damage to shit like Cresselia and Slowbro. You'll still always beat standard Bronzong and Forretress as Gyro Ball doesn't break your Sub and they'll be easily worn down by repeated attacks.

I used to love it because people would always try to beat Rhyperior with prediction. They'd expect me to EQ and throw out their Gengar or Celebi, and promptly shit themself when Rhyperior throws up a Substitute and proceeds to OHKO them from behind it. Good fun. :)

I've never used one of those SpD heavy versions but I remember once when I hit a Rhyperior with Hidden Power Grass from my Jolteon, foolishly expecting to get an OHKO or at least do 80-90%. I shit myself when it did less than 40%. I actually ran off to Team Builder to check I hadn't accidentally given him HP Ice or something. That guy is frigging tough.
Ah, I remember back in my Swords Dance thread you talking about using something very similair to that. A good set, may I add. I'll fix those calculations again (sorry about that guys).
Shinryu said:
I thought it was proven long ago that Rhyperior was overhyped...

Personally, I think he's best at CB with a simple 252 Atk/252 HP, just throw him into something he resists and let him OHKO or dent whatever comes in. With Rock Polish, he could probably do what Agiligross of old did.
I'd have to disagree though on the EVs. Max Speed is better for Rhyperior despite what many think. It prevents Skarmory from PP stalling Stone Edge. But CB Rhyperior with Aqua Tail shows massive power that I can attest to myself.
ChouToshio said:
The first post pretty much mentioned my only criticism, that being that I would feel awkward running Rhyperior and Tyranitar on the same team (I'm not about to use Hippowdon any time soon).

Outside that though I have to agree that Rhyperior is a terrific pokemon. I've faced the substitute set before and despite having Gyarados, Mild Infernape (grass knot does not 1hko), Flygon (who resists both stabs) and Scizor on my team, I'd say 75% of the times I've fought it I had to sacrifice a pokemon to it before taking it down. It's that tough.
Again, I've addressed the first part of your post. But just showing how hard it CAN be to take down when its under the Substitute (did I face you or something?)

BTW, I'll fix that post about Cresselia Psychic and such. For some reason I wasn't wide awake with that part (but it shouldn't break the Substitute anyway).

Continuing on
MS said:
I am using it, thanks for ruining it for me Colonel M :(.

But yeah I've found that by far, the most effective set is the Rock Polish (Megahorn as fourth move) one. Late game, its ability to take out slightly weakened threats and such is second to none, i love it and have been scoffing at all those who call Rhyperior "useless".
You're welcome. ^_^ I'll add this for the Rock Polish set in the OP too.
Darklord said:
The problem with Rhyperior is that there are other pokemon who can do the same things better.

As a bulky ground it is outclassed by the likes of Hippowdon, Gliscor, Swampert and maybe even Donphan. The former two have a reliable instant recovery move while Swampert only has one weakness and Donphan has Ice Shard to scare away those annoying Skymins.

As an attacker, I'd rather use Lucario for swords dancing and Metagross for Rock Polishing. Those two are a lot more frightening once they set up. Lucario has higher speed and the movepool to hurt pretty much anything while Metagross has few weaknesses and the tempting Explosion.

Not to say that Rhyperior isn't good, but I certainly believe there are better options out there.
Hm... Lucario may have the movepool, but the only advantages that I see are its Speed and Extremespeed. After a Swords Dance, Rhyperior can nearly OHKO Skarmory, Hippowdon, AND WILL OHKO Gliscor with relative ease. These are the best physical walls in this generation too. Lucario can't OHKO Gliscor without Ice Punch, Hippowdon and Skarmory can survive Jolly Lukes (becoming more common too). And by the way, I think Donphan sucks overall despite having Ice Shard. Too weak. =(

skiddle said:
I like the Swords Dance Life Orb set myself. Absolutely annihilates stall teams, switching into Blissey with impunity, then destroying everything with a 1081 attack Earthquake or Stone Edge. It can OHKO Swampert and almost OHKO Skarmory after the boost.
I used this guy originally. And yes, it is a friggin monster against Stall teams, especially if you can either a) provide paralysis support or b) Agility boost. And both of those are quite possible.

Other than the last post I think with ap, I covered pretty much what I wanted to cover.

It's hard to disagree with someone who gives such a detailed and thoughtful argument toward his position, but i'm afraid I still have to. Rhyperior is the ultimate great-on-paper-but-average-in-reality pokemon.

It's true that alot of powerful attacks surprisingly only have a chance of a OHKO, but you're assuming that it hasn't been damaged already, and it will still be 2hkoed anyway.

It's also true that it destroys stall teams, but that makes it a bit too specialized. Against the myriad other styles of play, it is again merely average, most likely KOing or damaging one pokemon in exchange for its own life. It will be lucky to do even that against the extremely common megaoffensive teams.

And then there is defensive coverage issues. Sand teams need type resistances more than anything else, so plopping another ground/rock in there is opening you up to a sweep from something.

Rock Polish cleaner is the only set i'd be likely to use, personally.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Colonol_M-- During Garchomp's reign I was one of the players who used Sala-chomp (using both garchomp and salamence on the same team). Even today I am a heavy user of Sala-gon, so I agree there are times when two pokemon of the same time can perform very well on the same team. Gyara-Swamp is another great example. However these are cases where the pokemon in question have few common weaknesses, and different resistances. Ground-Dragon carries the extremely valuable resistances to rock and immunity to electric (and in case of flygon, is one of the few to resist ground at the same time as well). Flying-Dragon resists fighting, water, grass, bug and ground, both resisting fire. Point being though that mence and flygon bring very different resistances to the table, really only share 1 common weakness and have a lot of synergy in differentiated playing style (Mixmence is very good at weakening the enemy dragon counters to open a choice-flygon sweep). Heatran also sees play alongside other steel types often because it has immunity to one of their weaknesses (fire) and because it plays very differently from scizor or metagross.

Rhyperior-ttar on the other hand, share many more common weaknesses, and bring little in the way of varied resistances. For instances rhyperior brings electric immunity and rock resistance, but neither of these pokes really want to be trying to counter a rock attack user (for fear of earthquake), and ttar can defeat most electric types anyway (it's special defenses are incredible). Can't say they're overall play style is all that different either, both slow substitute users who could stat up for the physical sweep or just go for a CB route. The only merit I'd see (the way I'd do it I guess) is that special ttar is good at drawing out the likes of skarm/gliscor/forry and eliminating them with flamethrower/ice beam from it's fairly good special attack. This could open a rhyperior sweep.

Probably what bothers me about them rather than sala-gon is that they're both slow and have more opportunities to have their weaknesses taken advantage of (after all, taking advantage of flygon's weaknesses is very difficult). Late game Flygon, Scizor or Lucario could spell their doom. Some people even try to keep skymin for the end, though SR and sand makes it hard compared to the other three I mentioned.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Rhyperior is one of the best Heatran counters in the game, I'm surprised that its usage hasn't gone up more.

Rhyperior in the sand is a BEAST. Rhyperior is one of the few pokemon that can beat *almost* everything 1-v-1. STAB Fighting attacks are the only reliable way to bring it down in one hit, and even then you can't really switch them in.

The only problem is that since it's so slow and weak to Fighting, Ice and Steel, Rhyperior is especially susceptible to being revenge killed. That is a huge no-no in D/P's fast-paced offense-heavy metagame. Rhyperior might be well equipped to get the KOs it needs to, but after that KO it is just a sitting duck waiting to be picked off.

Just because Rhyperior didn't live up to the hype, doesn't make it bad. It is usually just outclassed.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Rhyperior in the sand is a BEAST. Rhyperior is one of the few pokemon that can beat *almost* everything 1-v-1. STAB Fighting attacks are the only reliable way to bring it down in one hit, and even then you can't really switch them in.
This is very true - there are actually very few things that can take Rhyperior on one on one, be able to survive its excellent dual STAB attacks, and have the power to take it down first. Things like Lucario spring to mind, but Jolly Life Orb Close Combat does 89.6-106% damage to a 132 HP Rhyperior, which shows that if EVed correctly it can even take these fighting pokes on.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I guess I can agree with you there ChouToshio. To say its like the Double Dragon theory is sort of stretching it, but it was to prove a point: they are still excellent Pokemon alongside each other.

I've used CBTar as my lure against Hippowdon and Gliscor by using Aqua Tail (Jesus christ, I might as well post the whole team. >_>). By using Tyranitar to clear these Pokemon, I find what Rhyperior can at least handle from there. Tyranitar doesn't exactly enjoy Blissey's constant Seismic Toss and Thunder Wave is a huge nail for him. Forretress and Bronzong can still pose as threats with their STAB Gyro Balls. This is where Rhyperior comes in. He can switch into many of these Pokemon and, for the most part, remove them or scare them off. Tyranitar can also wear down Celebi if its foolish enough to take the Aqua Tail. I'm just stating random examples, but really you have to apply something like this in two ways: an RMT and on the field.

After the tournament is over, I'll at least show the team to give you a better picture of it. Though you'll probably say "Lucario weak" and the such (its kind of true).

I was seriously considering (and still am) on using this thing in my BP Scizor team (very much like XtrEEmMaShEEn3k2's team) but opted for Machamp for the better speed and accuracy with Stone Edge and Dynamic Punch. But seeing as I have a huge weakness to the #1 pokemon, pitching in SS support and this thing really seems to be a doable idea.

Dude, I know you're better than this. I can understand why you may not use it, but don't scoff it off so easily. If you can control how to use him, it is more than deadly to a team.
clearly you've never played me or my quad-scarf teams. the problem with me is I have such a fetish for speed that really the only set I'd be using is the rockpolish set, or the subbing set, mainly to screw over those people who try and predict. tbh you don't really find the time to sd unless you're up against super heavy stall (which actually is quite the bitch to my quad-scarf teams so maybe i should consider it lol)

Now there is like a Toxicroak "use me rant" and a Rhyperior one too... makes me want to do Magmortar tommorow >:)

I'll post some comments:

This is where I become extremely adamant about my statement. And usually, its these people that lose to me quickly. Besides, we already know that Rhyperior can't take these things. Thanks for stating the obvious. Tyranitar can't take a Close Combat either, so should we stop using him because of that? What about Shaymin-S and its NASTY amount of weaknesses? Ice, Fire, Rock and Flying. 3 of these type of moves are VERY common. Flying is somewhat common I'll admit though, from Togekiss that is. Because Rhyperior has weaknesses shouldn't mean that it should stop you from using him. Switching is for a reason, you know.
The problem with rhyperior is that he is both slow and has common weakness's, if i have a skymin out against a water type carrying ice beam and surf i can seed flare it for the kill, saving myself from taking ice beam. Rhyperior on the other is forced to either switch out and give my opponent a free turn or take massive damage from surf.

For this reason the only set i would use would be the rock polish set which can pass up his lackluster speed and make a powerful sweeper, however even this set i would consider o be outclassed by stuff like dragon dance tyranitar who can reach almost as much speed (392 for jolly rhyperior versus 364 for jolly tyranitar) and much higher attack (379 versus 550) after one boost

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Agreeing with latios315, the rock polish is the only way to patch up his speed and it's outclassed by others, mainly Agility Metagross; DD is something different altogether.

But I prefer using slower variants. I would rather boost up his bulk so he can take super effective hits, at least physical hits if without SS support.

His speed is far too shit to remedy and boost except by +4 speed baton pass (Ninjask). After the +4 speed pass, he can set up Swords Dance and sweep, thanks to not taking much damage from Ice Shard and not get 2HKOed by Scizor's Bullet Punch. Trick Room doesn't last long enough, and less than +3 isn't enough speed, not even outrunning Timid Scarf Heatran.

Not even Tyranitar has his insane movepool of Earthquake, Stone Edge and Aqua Tail, Megahorn, Fire Punch or Avalanche, backed up by such incredible bulk.

I like the Choice Bander the most. Requires good prediction obviously but 624 attack right off the bat and great dual STAB means everything can get OHKO'd or 2HKO'd if you pick the right move.

The one problem with Megahorn is its accuracy, I wouldn't want to run into one of those do or die situations where it misses. I do not like to rely on Stone Edge exactly for that reason.

Then use Rhyperior for what it can do that the others cannot.

Rhyperior can come in on Scizor using a Swords Dance and OHKO it with Fire Punch. Swampert could get away with HP Fire, but really who uses it like that?

It can survive any move Heatran throws at it, set up a sub on most Bronzongs and not have Zong break it, thus letting it take a huge chunk out of whatever is sent in next.

Special Defense EVs are your friend too. Let's say you kick its Special Defense up to 180 and Sandstream is in effect... Holy crap its Special Defense is now 270! 1.5x the benefit from that and like Special Fighting or Ground moves such as Lucario's Aura Sphere or Heatran's Earth Power will only do 1x damage and then it can like wall Heatran almost as well as Blissey or Suicune could. I always make sure Rhyperior has at least 165 SDef when I use it.

In short use a pokémon for its strengths that it has over others (hey I'm using Venusaur in OU and it cleans up Toxic Spikes and puts things to sleep like no one's business) and not just because it beats everything else in a certain specialized area.

This thread is making me itch to make another Rhyperior team.

I use Ryperior alot. I use this set

Sub
EQ
Stone Edge
Mega Horn

I've never lost him in a battle(and have swept 6-0 several times:)

And yes, it is a friggin monster against Stall teams, especially if you can either a) provide paralysis support or b) Agility boost.
I waited to see someone at least mention this (that paralysis support part). Not just for the LO SD version though.

I remembered Obi's team and thought, "Screw Machamp, Rhyperior should be able to fit as well." Obviously I had to change a lot of it... I don't mean that I copied but used Rhyperior instead, but rather used the same idea. Rhyperior's going to be moving first in nearly all situations against a paralyzed opponent.

I like it better than BPing Speed because the elimination of one Pokemon can frequently screw that up; I dislike Trick Room because you generally don't have enough time to sweep or set up or whatever.

Of course, Celebi and Starmie are huge threats to Rhyperior, and both have Natural Cure to effectively not be paralyzed...so... it's still not the greatest plan.

I think I've been successfully persuaded into believing that the best Rhyperior set is the Substitute SD one. I'm not saying Rhyperior is the overall best physical Pokemon (I understand it can take special hits) though.

The one and only thing that really peeves me about using Rhyperior is, though, the somewhat inaccurate moves. I use the CB version, and I think I've lost many a battle from misses by Stone Edge/Aqua Tail/Megahorn (can't say all the losses; I'm not the brightest battler).

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The only merit I'd see (the way I'd do it I guess) is that special ttar is good at drawing out the likes of skarm/gliscor/forry and eliminating them with flamethrower/ice beam from it's fairly good special attack. This could open a rhyperior sweep.
Just wanted to come back and say I tried this out today, and it works really well. Special Sub-TTar + Sub-Perior work pretty damn well together.

Just pack a lot of grass attacks on your other members because swampert's a bitch. Have something to beat fighting pokemon too . . .

Also if you're running a lot of paralysis support and hate stone edge's accuracy, rock slide is always an option. Fuck shaymin and togekiss-- paraflinch rhyperior ftw.

I can't emphasize how important Avalanche is to anything except a Rock Polish Rhyperior. The pokemon that it hits for super effective (Gliscor, Hippowdown, Donphan, Salamence, etc) are usually pokemon your opponent switches in, and they typically don't expect a Rhyperior to be packing a move that hits them for Super Effective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)