You've talked about good and bad moments, but what about your weirdest?

One night, before the release of XY, I lay in bed wondering what the Kanto starters would like if they got megas. I couldn't think of anything specific for Venusaur and Charizard, but I though Blastoise should have a cannon coming out of each arm, and one big cannon on its back.

The very next day, I check the website for news. Guess what just got revealed.

Last edited:
Yesterday, after searching for an adamant Rayquaza with good IVs at the Sky Pillar for over 4 hours, I was going a little mental. After having a sudden burst of energy, I ran into my family's living room and told my (completely clueless) dad that the next Rayquaza I were to catch would be the one I was looking for.
Lo and behold, after softresetting for the millionth time, I caught Rayquaza with Team Aqua's master ball, and would you know...

Adamant Nature
19 Atk IVs
31 Spe IVs

That's pretty bloody good, or at least by my pitifully low standards. Currently I'm EV training that Rayquaza as I type this, I'm planning on teaching it dragon dance.​

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I have no idea if this counts, but I gotta talk about it. It's not a bizarre in-game experience, no, this is a weird Pokemon DREAM that happened last night.

In this dream, I was in some kind of stadium or front lobby of a movie theater or something equally flashy and crowded. There were big monitors appended to the walls, and one of them was playing a trailer for a new Pokemon movie. It was a live action movie in the style of Detective Pikachu called "Pokemon All", and the logo was the word "Pokemon" surrounded by the word "All" on many sides, in a bland white font no less. An announcer (or a person near me? idk) boasted that Pokemon All was something to the effect of "the final film of the original movie continuity", whatever the fuck that means. The trailer opened up with an aerial nighttime duel between Garchomp and Charizard, and I recall it being far more vicious and violent than what you'd normally see in a Pokemon product. The duel ended with Charizard being slammed into the ground before it cut back to Garchomp with bright glowing red eyes. From there the remainder of what I saw is hazy, but the scenes afterward could be described as a series of crises: Earthquakes, riots, probably more stuff along those lines. I also vaguely recall seeing a live-action Ash Ketchum. Upon the trailer ending, some unknown voice and I joked about how they were seemingly gonna end this movie continuity with a full-on apocalypse.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I have no idea if this counts, but I gotta talk about it. It's not a bizarre in-game experience, no, this is a weird Pokemon DREAM that happened last night.

In this dream, I was in some kind of stadium or front lobby of a movie theater or something equally flashy and crowded. There were big monitors appended to the walls, and one of them was playing a trailer for a new Pokemon movie. It was a live action movie in the style of Detective Pikachu called "Pokemon All", and the logo was the word "Pokemon" surrounded by the word "All" on many sides, in a bland white font no less. An announcer (or a person near me? idk) boasted that Pokemon All was something to the effect of "the final film of the original movie continuity", whatever the fuck that means. The trailer opened up with an aerial nighttime duel between Garchomp and Charizard, and I recall it being far more vicious and violent than what you'd normally see in a Pokemon product. The duel ended with Charizard being slammed into the ground before it cut back to Garchomp with bright glowing red eyes. From there the remainder of what I saw is hazy, but the scenes afterward could be described as a series of crises: Earthquakes, riots, probably more stuff along those lines. I also vaguely recall seeing a live-action Ash Ketchum. Upon the trailer ending, some unknown voice and I joked about how they were seemingly gonna end this movie continuity with a full-on apocalypse.
This is incredible. Dreams that go into this specific of detail are extremly rare and even more difficult to remember in this capacity. I should not that these things don't have to be game based. I used to be and still am fascinated by dreams like this. The only dreams I've ever had have all been really strange things that aren't relevant at all.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
How about a few days ago when Jeopardy did a Pokemon-based board:

The Pokemon name categories were puns on what they were actually about ("Peek A Choo-Choo" was about trains, "Geo, Dude" was geography, etc.) though the Pokemon category was Pokemon based questions (though they only did 200-800, they never got time to do the 1k):

And if that wasn't enough, the Jeopardy twitter account made some more Pokemon references such as Twitch Plays Pokemon and a TM joke.

The entire thing felt a bit surreal to watch, lol.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So I thought Jeopardy's Pokemon-based board was strange... then I saw Food Network's Pokemon Challenge. I tried looking for it on Youtube and this the only video I could find. It's a reaction video for someone who was streaming the episode on their Youtube channel but that original video was taken down so this is all we got (beware that due to it being streamed it sometime lags and there's quick cuts which can give you a small headache). However it showed all that I wanted to show off. Behold the horror and cringy dialogue:

As a bonus, about two years ago Cake Wars also had a Pokemon challenge which I think went better (and actually had someone from the Pokemon Company International as a judge, Marketing Manager Elvin Gee). Note the actual episode is 35 minutes long but it then starts to replay the show to I guess try and avoid getting the video taken down:

Any RBY match with a first-turn wakeup, or lack of Reflect Snorlax.

Any match in Pokemon Stadium 2 when I can move at least one turn under Attract.

My weirdest single player moment I guess, long time ago in Gen 5 I RNG abused (yeah, remember that?) a Viridion with the Hidden Power Ice I wanted. It has the right hidden power with 70 bp, right nature, but the wrongs IVs (it was near-perfect). I couldn't find that exact spread anywhere in the RNG Reporter results, and I also couldn't find the spread I wanted to get (which of course was visible in the results). So I just said "screw it" and kept it.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
So tonight I was looking through the move history of X-Scissor for reasons. As we all know, from its introduction in Gen 4 up to and including Gen 6 it was a 70 BP move with an increased crit ratio like Cross Poison and Night Slash, only for it to get a weird sidegrade in Gen 7 where it was boosted to 80 BP but lost that increased crit chance. This has been common knowledge to me that has left me confused ever since the launch of Sun & Moon.

...Except that has never been the case, and as such was common knowledge to absolutely no one besides me. There was never a point prior to Gen 7 where X-Scissor had an enhanced crit ratio nor a different BP from what it has now. I swear to god, I VIVIDLY remember following the SM datamines, noticing the aforementioned "change" and wondering what the point was considering the Leech Life buff in the same generation. Now that's some Mandela Effect shit if I've ever seen it!

Totally unrelated, digging up this thread let me see this old post again and I'm giggling like an idiot at how late 2019 me freaking predicted Alpha Pokemon in a dream. It was even an iconic Sinnoh Pokemon that was involved!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
There was never a point prior to Gen 7 where X-Scissor had an enhanced crit ratio nor a different BP from what it has now. I swear to god, I VIVIDLY remember following the SM datamines, noticing the aforementioned "change" and wondering what the point was considering the Leech Life buff in the same generation. Now that's some Mandela Effect shit if I've ever seen it!
One Move Mandela Effect I had was with Pursuit. I could have sworn that on Bulbapedia's page for the move it had a funny back-and-forth going on where every generation GF would change their mind whether its effect worked on Pokemon who switched out via move effect (Baton Pass, U-turn, Volt Switch, etc.). But one day when on a topic where I was going to bring up that funny little "trivia", I discover it's not there anymore! Infact, there was never a back-and-forth issue with Pursuit & switching out moves. And I checked other Moves I could have mistook it for, like maybe I was thinking of another Dark-type move which Power doubled depending on a certain criteria or maybe it was on the switching move's page. But no, this back-and-forth trivia I "remembered" infact never happened.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Hmm, weirdest moments...

• Discovering the Pike glitch. It was bizarre sending out two Seadra at once.

• The first time I bred two different species in Crystal. I had no idea you could do this and biked around in a slight panic, concerned as to what freaky glitchy Gastly-Koffing hybrid might emerge. It wasn't until a Gastly hatched that I realised cross-breeding is a perfectly normal occurrence in the games.

• A deliberate one I inflicted on others. When I used to play PBR online, I tickled my housemate by changing my victory message to "I haven't been this cheerful since I killed my wife!" It gave the two of us great amusement to imagine some poor soul losing to me, seeing that message, and being thoroughly alarmed by it.

• The entirety of Pokemon Engrish Emerald.

• Not weird as such but certainly unusual. Going to the Pokemon store in Westfields Shepherds Bush for my mate's birthday. We had to leave the house at 5am, get a train there, and queue for literal hours until they finally let us in at 11am. There was already a gargantuan queue stretched through the shopping centre and out into the car park - good thing was the shopping centre was optimised for Pokemon Go. The three original Eeveelutions were spawning throughout. Didn't actually end up buying anything once we got in, but I played the SwSh demo which was fun.

Hey, I didn't know this thread existed.

A little intro: since I come from a low-to-mid income family in Argentina I never had a console to play Pokémon games, meaning I always had to use emulators to play them. I remember when I was a kid my American cousins had a Game Boy (possibly Color with Pokémon Yellow but it was too long ago) and later in highschool a friend had a DS with Diamond and I used it some, but he'd already won the game so I didn't do much.

So one of the oldest roms I had was a Pokémon Red one (I remember I also had the Pinball games, those were fun lol). I never got why but for some reason Dratini appears in the first route there. Like you have your standard Rattata and Pidgey and then you have Dratini with Wrap. As you guys know, Wrap in Gen I is pretty broken since the opponent can't move. Well, that thing was one of the first mons you could fight. It was only on Pokémon Red, not Blue or Green or even in Pokémon Rojo (the Spanish version). Weird. I never actually got to evolve it into Dragonite because it was super annoying to train and by the time it became Dragonair chances are you have much better mons. Still tho, earlygame Wrap + Thunder Wave and BoltBeam before the fourth gym could make it an interesting mon for a run, if I ever actually attempted to use it.

Since I kept importing the old roms every time I changed computer I actually still have the same rom (but not the old emulator, meaning I can't trade and also no color). I literally just opened the game, chose Charmander and beat Blue's Squirtle, stepped into the grass and lo-and-behold:

1.png
2.png

I spent years trying to find someone else that had the same thing happened to them but never did. Guess I'll have to live with that, and hopefully one day I'll actually use this boy the whole game and get it to the Hall of Fame. Wouldn't count on it tho.

Here's the Red Pinball game!
3.png

One Move Mandela Effect I had was with Pursuit. I could have sworn that on Bulbapedia's page for the move it had a funny back-and-forth going on where every generation GF would change their mind whether its effect worked on Pokemon who switched out via move effect (Baton Pass, U-turn, Volt Switch, etc.). But one day when on a topic where I was going to bring up that funny little "trivia", I discover it's not there anymore! Infact, there was never a back-and-forth issue with Pursuit & switching out moves. And I checked other Moves I could have mistook it for, like maybe I was thinking of another Dark-type move which Power doubled depending on a certain criteria or maybe it was on the switching move's page. But no, this back-and-forth trivia I "remembered" infact never happened.
I honestly can't tell if you're joking or not, but it's Payback that got this treatment - in gens 4 and 6, its power would double if the target switched in on that turn, but in gens 5 and 7, its power wouldn't double against an opponent that just switched in.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I honestly can't tell if you're joking or not, but it's Payback that got this treatment - in gens 4 and 6, its power would double if the target switched in on that turn, but in gens 5 and 7, its power wouldn't double against an opponent that just switched in.
Payback in Gen 6 works the same as in 5 and 7 IIRC.
After doing some digging, HeadsILoseTailsYouWin is right! It was Payback I remember this was done with... but turns out Siggu is also correct!

Confused? Well looking through Payback's page History I discovered that before and before April 26th it did indeed have that "decision back-and-forth" I remember. However, on April 26th someone tested this and discovered that Gen 6's Payback acted the same way as Gen 5 & 7, so they changes it so just having the adjusted effect after Gen 5.

I KNEW I WASN'T CRAZY! THEY BE CHANGING THINGS ON ME!

When BW2 came out, my friend found a shiny Patrat as literally his first encounter after obtaining Pokeballs. A few weeks later, I'm replaying Black 1 and the first Purrloin I see on that save file is a shiny.
This happened to me too, a Shiny Zigzagoon in Y

Hey, I didn't know this thread existed.

A little intro: since I come from a low-to-mid income family in Argentina I never had a console to play Pokémon games, meaning I always had to use emulators to play them. I remember when I was a kid my American cousins had a Game Boy (possibly Color with Pokémon Yellow but it was too long ago) and later in highschool a friend had a DS with Diamond and I used it some, but he'd already won the game so I didn't do much.

So one of the oldest roms I had was a Pokémon Red one (I remember I also had the Pinball games, those were fun lol). I never got why but for some reason Dratini appears in the first route there. Like you have your standard Rattata and Pidgey and then you have Dratini with Wrap. As you guys know, Wrap in Gen I is pretty broken since the opponent can't move. Well, that thing was one of the first mons you could fight. It was only on Pokémon Red, not Blue or Green or even in Pokémon Rojo (the Spanish version). Weird. I never actually got to evolve it into Dragonite because it was super annoying to train and by the time it became Dragonair chances are you have much better mons. Still tho, earlygame Wrap + Thunder Wave and BoltBeam before the fourth gym could make it an interesting mon for a run, if I ever actually attempted to use it.

Since I kept importing the old roms every time I changed computer I actually still have the same rom (but not the old emulator, meaning I can't trade and also no color). I literally just opened the game, chose Charmander and beat Blue's Squirtle, stepped into the grass and lo-and-behold:

View attachment 400812View attachment 400825

I spent years trying to find someone else that had the same thing happened to them but never did. Guess I'll have to live with that, and hopefully one day I'll actually use this boy the whole game and get it to the Hall of Fame. Wouldn't count on it tho.

Here's the Red Pinball game!
View attachment 400824
I remember having a similar thing happening to me when I first played a Blue ROM: Found a wild Beedrill. It only knew Harden

Last edited:
I got a couple of strange things that happened to me over the years (mostly glitches, hidden behind spoilers because lots of text):
Back when I played Crystal, I figured out how to go through the Ice Path and as I walked around I found a Delibird. Never saw it before and I wanted one so I tried to catch it. It fled almost every time before I eventually managed to fight one that didn't. Oddly enough it used Struggle, and when I caught it and checked it out in the PC, it had no moves. Nothing. All of its moves were listed as "-". Little me thought that because it had no moves that that was the reason why it kept fleeing. I still had that Delibird too, but around the time the games came out on the 3DS VC I found out all my gen 1 and 2 games all lost their batteries and saves.

In Gold I went to the Trainer House and fought a glitched trainer. Now I never did any trading, Mystery Gift, nor failed cloning/glitching in this game, and yet I got a strange trainer with a blank name. They sent out a lv. 0 Growlithe that caused my game to lock up (which forced me to catch Lugia again because I didn't save.) Years later I try it again, and I fought a different trainer with a long, glitched up name that had a lv.125/200 Poliwrath, and then sent out a lv.0 Koffing that froze the game again. Another time I got the typical lv.0 Primeape before the glitch fixed itself, and then before my battery died the Trainer House stopped working entirely. The game straight up crashes when the battle starts every time. I also remember checking my PC and I had a much of glitched mail from GREEN along with many Old Rods. Never knew what caused it.

I used to mess around with an AR in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Time and Darkness, and one day had the idea to use a code for Time on Darkness. I'm not sure if it was just 1 code or a combo of them (might've been unlock all dungeons), but when I went to a dungeon I was sent to this bizarre glitch version of Spacial Rift. It started on floor 66/666, and its layout was the Test Dungeon one (the blue, 3Dish thing). All Pokemon in it (which were Wurmple, Absol, Remoraid, Seviper, and Zangoose to name a few, there was likely more) were at lv. 66 and recruitable. I've always been fascinated by it, but can't seem to recreate it. There was one other person on Youtube that had a video showing it off, but it's gone now. I believe you can do this with either game's codes because I vaguely remember doing it on the opposite game.

In Diamond I had gotten a Japanese Glameow off the GTS. I was super happy and excited to have one, so I (with my AR) taught it some TM moves such as Shadow Claw and Thunderbolt. I was messing around in the grass on Route 202 defeating wild mons with it for fun. During one encounter with a Bidoof, I used Shadow Claw and it actually landed a hit despite the typing. It was a critical hit too, but my game suddenly froze on the text box saying it was a critical hit. Like the sound just vanished and I had to hold down the button to turn it off. I stopped using that Glameow after that because it scared me how that happened. I still have it though, moved it to SS for breeding stuff.

I was grinding up 2 Mareeps in White 2 one day so I could complete the dex for the Shiny Charm. I was battling a Breeder on Route 22 and had gotten 2 Flaaffy, so all I needed was for one to become an Ampharos. During this session I was saving periodically after a battle or two because I had some strange feeling that the game was going to freeze. Turns out my suspicions were correct, the next battle I did with the trainer actually started to lag at the end, and then it just froze on the victory screen; the sound died and I had to hold down the button to turn it off. Thankfully I had saved before then, so I could resume and evolve my Flaaffy. I just remember it being so strange how I knew it was going to happen and it did.

EDIT: Remembered a few others:
I remember wanting a Masquerain in Sapphire and having difficulty in getting one because I didn't have a Surskit. Thing is I know well enough I had caught a Surskit- 4 of them in fact. Yet they all disappeared from my box (I checked everything, Daycare too, and they were nowhere to be found.) Not even my dex had it registered even. Not sure why it happened, as I even caught another one and it soon disappeared after being left in a box after a few days. At some point I decided to catch one and keep it in my party to make sure it didn't disappear on me. Evolved it and left it in the box, and suddenly all future Surskit I found and caught stopped disappearing on me.

Same Sapphire, I once dropped my Gameboy while I had set it down to wash my hands in the kitchen. Now mine didn't have a back to cover the batteries because the top broke, so the batteries were exposed and dropping it or putting too much pressure on the game would pop the batteries out, and in turn either freeze or shut it off because it had no power. I left off in the middle of battling a Geodude after smashing a rock and I accidentally knocked the Gameboy off the counter. The batteries popped out and it hit the floor face down, but there was no cracks on the screen and surprisingly my game was still running without any batteries. Popped them back in and the game was fine.

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
So about a year ago I did this fun little project of mine where I reimagined Kanto to be more at the level of a modern game. You can check it out here, if you're curious.

But here's the thing about it. Among the Pokedex section are 5 new evolutions for Kanto Pokemon I conceived. And one of them is Sapiengry. A Fighting/Ghost evolution for Primeape. I added this evolution on July 8, 2021.

Now see, I was really proud of this concept of mine. So much so that I even made pretty crappy "concept art" for it. Said art looked like... this.

1670403031138.png

...Yeeeeaaaaaahhh.

UberSkitty

Assist Skitty was banned from NatDex Ubers
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Posted about it on the Shiny thread, but long af story short:

Lunatone in White was my first shiny ever and I accidentally KOed it. So earlier this year I decided to hunt it at full odds, same game. I found one within hours, just to realize I had no Master Balls and it used Explosion. Over the next ~3 months I continued hunting it, but instead of another shiny Lunatone the game me 3 shiny Dittos and mf 7 shiny Solrocks. To make it even stranger is that I got 2 of those Solrocks in one day. For reference, Solrock had the same exact odds as Lunatone, and Ditto even less. But yeah, eventually got Lunatone so that was cool.

I have so many mixed emotions about that experience, between finding it frustrating, funny, or just plain sad. But I'd say either way it qualifies as weird af

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Ok so I GOTTA get this out there and I can't think of a better place in this subforum to put it so here you go. A few weeks ago I had another dream about a Pokemon movie, this time a 2d animated Gen 10 tie-in. I say it was a Gen 10 tie-in because they had introduced widespread Pokemon fusion and the scene in the movie I was watching centered around a massive battle between two of them. One was between Reshiram and Zekrom and was much more humanoid than either of them individually, the second fighter I forgot. The force of their battle was so great that they were ripping apart space-time DBS Broly style, except they were warping between the universes of various other Pokemon media for maximum fanservice, each warp being accompanied by the same screen shatter effect. I forgot most of the places the combatants went but the one I remember vividly and the entire reason this dream has stuck in my head is when they found themselves in the Pokemon Concierge universe and they actually transformed into models, continuing their battle in stop-motion. I was losing my mind at this in the dream thinking it was the coolest shit ever, and honestly it is.

I got Pokerus SUPER early in my first Brilliant Diamond playthrough. As in, the download to my Switch finished around 8 or 9 A.M. on Sunday, November 21st and I started the game right after that, and I have a photo on my phone of my Switch with the "Little is known about the Pokerus..." line from the nurse that has a timestamp at around 1 PM that same day. I think it's the most unlikely thing that has ever happened to me in a video game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)