Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - September 2009

Thanks for the stats, Doug.

And just when we thought UU was stabilizing...

Interesting to see Roserade's huge drop this month in usage.

Umbreon's bitin' the bullet at 49th... Wouldn't really mind which tier it'd fall under, though I'm still confused as to why people still use it so much in OU anyway.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No one realizes the power of Heracross if he enters UU. Bug / Fighting is the best possible coverage to smash any physical walls who try to get in its way. Tangrowth, Slowbro one of the best physical walls are OHKOed by Megahorn and Milotic and others die to Close Combat (2hko-ohko). Of course this is speculation of whats to come IF Heracross does come to UU.

Regardless, good stats Doug, cool fact about its percentage and Garchomp.

No one realizes the power of Heracross if he enters UU. Bug / Fighting is the best possible coverage to smash any physical walls who try to get in its way. Tangrowth, Slowbro one of the best physical walls are OHKOed by Megahorn and Milotic and others die to Close Combat (2hko-ohko). Of course this is speculation of whats to come IF Heracross does come to UU.

Regardless, good stats Doug, cool fact about its percentage and Garchomp.
It can still be countered by Weezing and Nidoqueen, both of which deserve to be used more honestly.

Alakazam being brought down means Ambipom leads might drop, due to Inner Focus.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
The big stat story this month is Scizor usage. Take a look at the stats below, and you'll see that Scizor made a significant jump. You may not think 3.2% is very much -- but that is HUGE for the top pokemon on the ladder. ... That 30% usage number is rare air for a pokemon in today's competitive game. AFAIK, only Garchomp has broken the 30% usage mark in the 4th generation.
Sounds like Scizor is quite UBER.
Cresselia would also be the only base 600 in UU if she were to fall.
Well, Slaking and Regigigigigigigigigigigas...

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It can still be countered by Weezing and Nidoqueen, both of which deserve to be used more honestly.

Alakazam being brought down means Ambipom leads might drop, due to Inner Focus.
Small portion still. But anyways its been said countless times that Weezing can really wall a number of physical walls yet you dont see it very often. Plus, what can it do to Heracross? Will-O-Wisp is useless while Fire Blast is a clean 2HKO on Heracross. While it probably has an SD under its belt, it can 2HKO you with Stone Edge. Nidoqueen can't do anything as well but its the best counter yes, because more Nidoqueen's would have to carry Roar. Although a Facade set could be used and I'm pretty sure it can stop stall steams quite easily.

Hmm... Unless my calculations are wrong, a pokémon, this month, is OU if it's used in over ~24267 battles (1/20th of 485,335 = 24266.5, according to my calculator).

That means Crobat barely makes it into OU, with Alakazam and Rhyperior dropping out of OU, and into UU. That is, if I calculated correctly.

Wtf Donphan is all the way down at #60? It was hovering around 50th for like the past millennium and now that it's officially UU his usage in OU drops 10 places? Who else thinks this has nothing to do with Donphan's ability as a Pokemon and everything to do with his tiering as a UU Pokemon? It's like all of a sudden just because he became UU a bunch of people no longer want to use him. That's not the way things should work...

Thanks a million Doug!

Uber Usage said:
| 19 | Mew | 2643 | 10.68 |
Uber Lead said:
| 6 | Mew | 1358 | 5.49 |
Looks like Lead Mew is catching on hehe. It's nice to see that even in a "dead" metagame like Ubers, there's always room for new ideas.

In other news, UU is going to be shaken up even more than it has been with the certain departure of Roserade and potential arrivals of Rhyperior, Alakazam, and Umbreon (again?). My guess is that there won't be any kind of stability in the lower tiers for some time yet. Not that I'm complaining - I'd rather have new things to adapt to all the time than always see the exact same threats. IMO OU is actually the most "centralized" of all the tiers right now - people's teams seem to be more homogeneous than in UU or Ubers, not in terms of Pokémon but in a general sense of playstyle (Bulky Offense and Semi-Stall are almost all I see).

EDIT: Scizor has just a 3.32% difference between its OU and Uber usage, while Forretress is used a whopping 12.67% more often in Ubers than in OU! It's stuff like this that makes me love these stats.

The tier lists come out this month, right? Or next month?

But either way, there's going to be quite a few interesting changes...

Gyarados for #2!

Wtf Donphan is all the way down at #60? It was hovering around 50th for like the past millennium and now that it's officially UU his usage in OU drops 10 places? Who else thinks this has nothing to do with Donphan's ability as a Pokemon and everything to do with his tiering as a UU Pokemon? It's like all of a sudden just because he became UU a bunch of people no longer want to use him. That's not the way things should work...
donphan just sucks period in OU. as a bulky ground its outclassed by swampert and hippowdon. rapid spin is really the only thing it has going for it, which has become even less useful with platinum's introduction of the rotom formes.

Thanks Doug.

Code:
42 | Dragonite  |  38594 |    4.58
Code:
33 | Dragonite  |  45978 |    5.96
Dragonite got a good amount of usage this month. Going up 9 in rankings and being used 1.38% more.

Roserade is leaving UU.... thats like taking Scizor straight out of OU; it will have a huge effect. Milotic will be even more unbreakable, and Vennusaur and Leafeon are the only offensive grasses left.
Also, where the hell did Crobat come from?!

Yeah, UU's screwed.

Venusaur usage will be skyrocketing, I predict it.

And say hello to Big T!

Registeel making it to number one in UU and Roserade falling to fourth are the biggest surprises to me. The increase in Mismagius was expected though.

Alakazam, Rhyperior, and Heracross are pretty much headed for UU. This should be fun. =)

In the meantime Crobat and Yanmega will rise up into OU most likely.

-Terywj

Random Pizzaman said:
Also, where the hell did Crobat come from?!
Two words: Super Fang

Just the concepts of a UU Cresselia, Heracross, and Rhyperior, as well as an OU Roserade are pretty much unfathomable. Cresselia is a bitch to take down in the OU just as it is, and I can't really see any of these as positive changes to the metagame. Heracross, especially the SD Flame Orb set, shreds most teams to pieces, given that it has something to stop priority, and if a teammate has wish, it's gg. The UU metagame might just turn to Heracross raping everything that moves and Cresselia stalling out everything else. Albeit, this is just theorymon and we'll have to just try it out and see before we make any serious conclusions.

Also, Gyarados for #2!

donphan just sucks period in OU. as a bulky ground its outclassed by swampert and hippowdon. rapid spin is really the only thing it has going for it, which has become even less useful with platinum's introduction of the rotom formes.
Um yeah I know Donphan sucks, that wasn't my point. My point was, it seems people stopped using Donphan as much as before simply because of its new tiering. While I don't think it deserved even that much usage in first place, the fact that it fell so hard so fast should not have happened in an objective metagame. It's not like Donphan became worse all of a sudden over the past three months.

Of course it is natural for people to behave like this, but it makes me wonder if there are UU Pokemon who can't reach their true potential just because of their tiering. I think Lanturn is one such Poke, for instance, but I that's not a subject for this thread. Just something to think about though IMO.

It seems that Alakazam is just above the UU line this month, while Rhyperior is just below it. Everything above Alakazam is still technically OU for now.. Including Crobat, Roserade, Heracross, and Umbreon.

In ubers Scizors usage continues to rise, now at #7. Deo-E also takes back its title of most used lead from Deo-A. Not much else. Palkia seems to be gaining lots of popularity as Kyogre usage is still sky high.

In OU, not too much changes, although Smeargle leads being more common than Infernape seems odd. Still upset as 14% of Scizor are still running 252 HP.....

In UU, holy mackral. Mismagius is having a party down there. And we may have Alakazam and Rhyperior in there soon! Roseraide leaving will certainly make me like UU more though, I hate that thing.

NU is having some changed, but that tier is always unstable. Still, it hasn't even been a full month since HGSS move changes, and Aggron already has enough usage to get out of it. Good thing too, It eats NU for breakfast.

Even though Magnezone usage dropped slightly, Shed Shell usage on Skarmory increased last month. Choice Band usage on Scizor went up while Life Orbs fell, and Leftovers on Scizor increased as well. Life Orb on Azelf has come way up, and Focus Sash and Choice Scarf have fallen.

Nice...

Sceptile jumped 10 places in UU, now at #22.
One of the fastest UU pokes(loses only to Swellow and Electrode, ties with that can sweep(SD ones) and revenge(Specs) should be vastly used. He's good
And Kangaskhan usage... nice. I helped immensely to that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)