OU CCAT: Zoroark [See Post #663]

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OU CCAT - 2nd Edition

OU CCAT Thus Far:

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Trait: Illusion
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Flamethrower
- Substitute

Haxorus @ Life Orb / Lum Berry / Draco Plate
Trait: Rivalry
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Dance / Substitute

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 Def / 248 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Double Edge
- Earthquake

Donphan @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Adamant
EV: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
-Earthquake
-Head Smash
-Ice shard / Stealth Rock
-Rapid spin

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie / Intimidate
Nature: Naughty / Adamant / Naive / Jolly
EV: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
-Outrage
-Dragon Claw
-Fire Blast / Brick Break
-Earthquake / Brick Break

Welcome back to OU CCAT - 2nd edition! Thank you for past participants of the very first OU CCAT for making it a successful community project!

This 2nd take will have some exciting changes that will hopefully enhance the experience. First change - ginganinja will be co-leading with me! There will be times where ginganinja will supervise the project when I happen to be unavailable.

The second major change - we will be using a "checklist of teams" that we will use to guide the teambuilding process. The list of RMT threads will essentially serve as general templates of the numerous team archetypes available in OU that our team must be able to address. This is a "threat list" on steroids, showcasing not only individual threats, but offensive and defensive threats working together to form a cohesive unit. I believe this approach would help us form a better team that addresses teams rather than individual Pokemon. We will use the Team Checklist heavily to make sure that our team can deal with the major threats of OU.

Here's the basic stages of our project
  • Stage 1- Selecting our CCAT Pokemon. We are looking for underrated sets here, so please don't suggest sets like DD Dragonite or SubDisable Gengar, for instance.
  • Stage 2 - Finalizing Team Checklist. ginganinja and I have already formed a Team Checklist for this project (see post below), but we want you to review them and gain familiarity to the tool we will be using throughout the Stage 4. If you believe there are RMTs that better embody a certain team archetype, you may nominate them (although, I am quite satisfied with the choices ginganinja and I have made). We will then vote on a single or multiple RMTs that will represent each team archetypes of OU.
  • Stage 3 - Selecting Team Style. In this stage, we will determine the type of team we would like to build to draw the most use out of our OU CCAT mon.
  • Stage 4 - Selecting Team Mates. Probably the longest and most involved part of the project. This is where our Team Checklist will come in handy to address all the offensive and defensive cores that must be addressed to let our OU CCAT mon shine.
  • Stage 5 - Laddering with and Finalizing our Team. This is probably the most exciting stage, where we send our team on a test drive. At this stage, we gather feedback on our play experience and address any major team flaws. This is where we also collect successful moments of our team via recording victorious matches in battle logs or battle replays, as well as visual proof of successful ladder performance.
  • Stage 6 - Constructing a 5-Star RMT. We will present our work in a form of a RMT, where we will receive further feedback from Smogon's accomplished and aspiring Team Raters to improve our team.

The last CCAT has successfully brought to light Nidoking's impressive prowess in special offense, thanks to its diverse movepool and its DW ability Sheer Force. Lets make another underappreciated mon shine in our hands!

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Team Checklist (12)​

Weatherless Offense (3)

Mortagua's Wreck and Destroyhttp://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3461173
The classic spike-stacking Volt-Turn offense. Deoxys-D sets up entry hazards just as easily as Deoxys-S, with Gengar to spinblock. Rotom-W, Scizor, Infernape forms the team's Volt-Turn core to keep the offensive pressure, with DD Dragonite for clean up.

ginganinja's Nuclear Warfarehttp://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3460847&page=1&pp=25
Although, ginganinja didn't suggest his own team, I chose this team anyways, since it showcases some notable offensive threats working together for a successful sweep. Specifically, CBNIte, ScarfMoxieMence, SD Virizion, and Specs Heatran work together to destroy the opponent's team.

YoUserName's Blood Alliancehttp://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3457314
Yes this team contains the banished Deoxys-S, but this was the best team to depict Dual Screen Offense, as well as presenting some dangerous threats that were not covered by the other two teams. Specifically, SD Lucario, Double Dance Haxorus and Terrakion, Shell Smash Cloyster, and SD Scizor makes a debut, a classic HO at its finest.

Rain Offense (2)

BKC's Art of Ruin http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3461986
One of the best Rain HO teams recorded in the RMT forum, presenting the impressive combined Rain force of Specs Tornadus, LO Starmie, and CB Azumarill.

Texas Cloverleaf's Sceptile's Return http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3463391
People may raise their eyebrow when they see Sceptile, but this team reveals us to the frightening set-up sweepers of Rain: SubDD Gyarados and SubCM Jirachi.

Sand Offense (2)

ITSU's out with the old, in with the new http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3456280
An older team, but it captures the essence of a Sand team, featuring common Sand defensive core (a Rain check in CM Latias coupled with Heatran and Skarmory to provide entry hazards). Smack Down Landorus makes an appearance here, as well as CB TTar and OTR Reuniclus.

Mortagua's Enter the Sandman http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3463203
Sandman is a team of Acrobatics Gliscor, a prominent sand abuser. Also brings light to some underrated sets, such as LO Latias and CB Terrakion.

Sun Offense (1)

Grimm70's French Orgy with Belzebuth http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3455854
The Sun team ginganinja favors. Grimm's team has Dugtrio and Heatran as a trapping core to win the weather war. Chloro Venusaur provides back up Sun and sleep support, not to mention revenge-killing capabilities. Everything sets the stage for a Volcarona sweep. The team does contain Thundurus, though, which can be replaced by a Dragon-type, I guess.

Hail (1)

Delko's Christmashttp://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3458509

Christmas is an examplar RMT of hail teams. Heatran and Tentacruel provides entry hazards and status conditions, realizing a common hail strategy of racking up residual damage. They also provide defensive coverage to the likes of Scizor, Jirachi, and opposing Heatran. SubKyurem is Delko's main Hail abuser, Toxic-stalling special walls and spamming Blizzard. The team also presents us with BU Conkeldurr and CM Reuniclus.

Semi / Full Stall (2)

Delko's Benelux Stall http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3462739
A standard stall team, with defensive entry hazard setters coupled with a spinblocking Jellicent. Toxic-stalling Gliscor completes the picture.

M Dragon's The Art of Rain Stall http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3455765
Rain stall team is another prominent type of stall. Ferrothorn and Tentacruel are common defensive components in Rain teams, with Chanse, Unaware Quagsire, and physically defensive Politoed to augment the defensive core. The most notable player here is Rain Shuffler Dragonite, providing Rain teams the essential phazing capability to prevent being set-up bait.

Balanced (1)

Expert Physics's Speedy Assault http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3462426
Speedy Assault embodies the fundamental structure of a balanced team: an efficient defensive core (often a FWG core) in Virizion - Heatran - Slowbro paired with Scarf Landorus that serves as a revenge killer. Trapping Steels with Magnezone is also a common strategy that we need to remember.

----------------------------------------------------​

These will be our teams that will guide us through the team-building process. You all will have a chance to revise / finalize this list. I like to emphasize that they are loose team templates - a Pokemon presented in the team can be replaced by a different mon in discussions. Banned Pokemon like Deoxys-S or Thundurus can easily be replaced by a Pokemon that performs a similar role. Although we would like to address the defining offensive and defensive features of these teams, we do not have to take into account every minor detail of the team. We are analyzing these teams as an entire unit, not as individual parts.

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Abomasnow (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Seed Bomb
- Ice Shard

Edit: Darn, I have to explain now? I suck at explaining stuff. >_<

Anyways I picked Abomasnow because I like Hail and I feel it's a slightly underrated Pokemon. Leech Seed and with the combination of Hail plus Protect wears down ALOT of Pokemon. Most Grass types (which are immune to Leech Seed) won't want to come into an Aboasnow so you're free to Leech Seed a lot of stuff. A minor example: a CBScizor or Balloon Heatran switches to your Leech Seed, it loses 18.25% from Hail and Leech Seed damage, Protect to scout his next turn and loses another 18.25% next turn, if that Scizor/Heatran switched in on Stealth Rock it has already lost 50% of his health without doing anything. (I really love Leech Seed, such an underrated move imo)
I choose this set over the other sets because it has brought me the most success when using Abomasnow (lol <_<). Why? Well tbh I'm not sure if I can answer that but IMO it could be that people don't really expect the Physical set and assume it's a Special attacker or some Scarf set. Things like Tentacruel/Tyranitar/Jellicent/Blissey sometimes come in expecting a special attack only to get hit on their weaker side. Also another thing I loved about this Abomasnow (well and most Abomasnows) is that this guy can shut down most Water types and can mess up Drizzle teams. And this guy has a priority attack in Ice Shard, can be used to revenge weaken Dragons.

Edit 2: Oops, forgot about the Nature and EV spread and why Seed Bomb over Wood Hammer. >.>

Well it's not all that complicated, Brave nature so you can be slower than Tyranitar (don't forget to set your speed IVs to 0 :o) to get your Hail up instead of Sand. The EV spread is so you hit a SR number and hit as hard as you can with Seed Bomb or Ice Shard (his STABs), and if you want you can use Wood Hammer over Seed Bomb, I'm not a big fan of recoil moves. :/

Hopefully this is enough. I'm sorry to you, Pocket, and to ginganinja for not putting my explanation up sooner. Sorry for any bad grammar and stuff >_<

How underrated should the set be? I'm asking, because Nidoking was really underrated and while I test the last CCAT, I thought it deserved that status. At least for me it wasn't achieveing much most of the time :/
So I want too suggest a more popular Pokemon, but with an uncommon set:

Jirachi @ Leftovers Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt/Thunder
- Flash Cannon
- Psychic/Psyshock

Most Jirachi are specially defensive or the ParaFusion Jirachi with Thunder and Water Pulse, which is suppposed to set up multiple Calm Minds in the rain. Well, my Jirachi set puts the focus more on its immediate power after only setting up one Calm Mind. I know this might be not underrated enough, but I wanted to suggest something that is really viable in OU.

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Let the noms begin!

I will start off the round with Medicham:

Medicham @ Life Orb
Trait: Pure Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Substitute
- Hi Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Despite it's RU status, it has Pure Power AND HJK, providing it with one of the hardest hitting move in the game. For reference, this fighter's HJK hits harder than Haxorus's Outrage. It has decent Speed and a nifty resistance to Rock- and Fighting-type moves, too. Substitute allows Medicham to kill revenge killers and to punish Protect abusers.There are very few mons who can avoid a 2HKO from this mon; even the most defensive mons like Skarmory, Hippowdon, Tangrowth, and Gliscor fear O-2HKO from Medicham. Only bulky Psychic-types not weak to Ice-types and Sableye are major pests, although Ghosts in general can fuck it up with a well-timed HJK crash.

EDIT: ninja'd -0-

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm recommending:

Latios @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Dragon Pulse
-Surf
-Hidden Power [Fire]
-Substitute

This may seem to be a strange Latios set but, in my opinion, it is very under-rated. Substitute is the key move here, allowing Latios to get past many of its counters. Things like Scizor, Forretress, Heatran, Tyranitar all love coming in on a resisted move on what they assume is a choiced Latios. Even Dragonite can beat choice Latios one-on-one. With Substitute easing prediction Latios can easily beat the first three I mentioned and has Substitute to protect it from Tyranitar's Pursuit (who won' enjoy switching into repeated Surfs/Dragon Pulse as well as killing Dragonite who don't pump themselves full of Special Defense with ease.

This set does have some problems though. Without Choice Specs or Life Orb/Expert Belt Latios does lose a lot of power. Also this set can't really hurt SpD Jirachi, Politoed or either Chansey or Blissey. These problems are not impossible to get over, however. All forms of entry hazard support help SubLatios (especially Toxic Spikes) as they make his drop in power less significant. A strong Physical attacker is also useful to break through the Pokemon I mentioned above. A prime example would be Choice Band Terrakion or Swords Dance Haxorus/DD Dragonite.

This Latios is best against weatherless offensive teams and balanced teams (although it does help against sun offense too) because of the prevalance of Scizor and Dragonite on those teams, who usually act as checks to Latios. Without those Pokemon the teams would get hurt badly by Latios.

Pocket

Dudes, don't forget to EXPLAIN your noms like good sirs SkullCandy and HoiPolloi. It will only improve your chances of getting your set selected :o

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sceptile @ Leftovers Trait: Overgrow
EVs: some combination of HP and SpA/ 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Unexpected threat, reasonable splashable. Substitute and Leech Seed allow it to take on any threat without initial fear, constantly regaining health. Giga Drain is its best STAB option, also regaining health, lets it beat down Rotom-W among others with little difficulty. Hidden Power Ice lets it KO Landorus while also checking the numerous Dragons in the tier.

Mienshao @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Regenerator

~ Fake Out
~ U-turn
~ Hi Jump Kick
~ Stone Edge

Mienshao is great at either racking up damage with a combination of Fake Out and U-turn or simply destroying walls with Hi Jump Kick and Stone Edge. Regenerator allows Mienshao to heal off all forms of residual damage, including Life Orb recoil, as well as weaker attacks it may switch into. HP Ice is usually used over Stone Edge, but I honestly find Mienshao is better off letting something else take out Gliscor, as HP Ice isn't guaranteed to OHKO it without SR damage. Stone Edge is also Mienshao's best move against most Ghost-types, 3HKOing Jellicent as well as having a chance to OHKO Gengar after SR damage as it switches in.

Posting a rather interesting set along the lines of something I saw in the C&C thread for Mixed Hydreigon:

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 92 Atk / 224 SAtk / 192 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Work Up
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Focus Blast
- Crunch/Earthquake

This set uses Hyrdreigon's great mixed attacking stats along with its wide movepool to make for a powerful setup sweeper. It can lure in special walls like the pink blobs, set up on them, and deal with them via Crunch/Earthquake. (Crunch is a 2HKO on Blissey with the given EVs, for example, and that's without any Work Ups) It has strong coverage with Dragon/Fire/Ground. Outrage should quite possibly be on there for additional wallbreaking power, but it might not be necessary given the power of STAB Crunch or a super-effective EQ.

The biggest problem this set has is dealing with Hydreigon's lack of speed. As such, we'd presumably be using it as a late-game sweeper, and build the team with support for this aspect - spreading paralysis, most likely, or using Baton Pass/Tailwind for something a bit less common.

Well, i have this mon in my mind:
1) Specs Hydreigon

Item : Choice specs Nature : Modest
Moveset
~ Draco Meteor
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Fire Blast
~ Surf / Focus Blast / U-turn
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe

I was frankly shocked to see hydreigon lying at 36 or so in the february usage stats. It is easily one of the most devastating Pokemon in the metagame. I have encountered scarf and LO hydreigon occasionally but rarely seen a specs one. It does need more love.

Explanation:
It is just like Latios only that it cannot be pursuit trapped and can afford to run modest without any losing any of its potential.(latios imo loses a lot of its potential if it uses modest seeing that its speed is one big selling point).

Draco meteor is one sweet move, which will MASSACRE anything in sight. Dragon Pulse is the reliable STAB move which doesn't force Hydreigon to switch and can be used as a reliable alternative late game. Fire Blast is for denting steel types like Ferrothorn and Skarmory.

In the last slot, one can use FB or surf to hit heatran. Focus Blast is inaccurate but powerful. It is also not affected by weather(which can be good or bad). Surf is weaker but (imo) more reliable and takes a chunk out of tran(unless it is sunny). U-turn can also be used for grabbing momentum, but hydreigon loves smashing stuff rather than grabbing momentum.

The pink blobs are a big problem for this set, unless u-turn is used. The only other problem is the special attack decrease from draco meteor. But there is no doubt that this thing can easily smash holes in your opponent's team.

Edit: "ninja'ed" since the guy above me also suggested hydra, albeit a different set.

Here we go again!!

Do the words "Cloyster used Shell Smash!" scare you?? I though so.

I nominate the evil Bivalve (Cause I don't think Sableye would go through)!!

@ Life Orb / Kings Rock / White Herb / Focus Sash
Evil Sweeper
Nature: Naive/Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Hydro Pump/Razor Shell

<OR>

@ Leftovers
Evil Defensive Sweeper
Nature: Impish
EV's: 248 HP / 40 Atk / 156 Def / 64 Spe (Thanks, Delko and Princess Bri for this EV spread)
-Shell Smash
-Icicle Spear
-Rock Blast
-Rapid Spin

<OR>

@ Leftovers
Evil Straight Utility
Nature: Impish / Relaxed
EV's: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 Def
-Icicle Spear
-Rapid Spin
-Spikes
-Surf / Ice Shard / HP Fire (for in sun)

I personally like the pure sweeper, but the utility and bulky sweeper have great utility in this Dragonite and Scizor and physical-filled metagame. There are things to overcome, like Rotom-W and other special and mixed attackers, but I figure we base a team on this guy before Keldeo ruins his fun a bit as a teams Water-type sweeper.

The pokemon i would like to put forward is ;Victini

Item: choice band
Nature: Jolly/adamant
Evs 252atk/ 252spe/ 4hp
V-create
u turn
fusion bolt
brick break

I have been using this set to great success on a sun team recently which if we choose this is the only type of team it should be on. the moves are fairly obvious V-create fits in very well with the hit and run nature of this set and its power makes Victini the second hardest hitting fire type in the WHOLE GAME, when you're hitting harder than ho-oh and reshiram you must me doing something right (damn darmanitans). Fusion bolt is mostly there to kill water types and if it disposes of politoad, you can win the weather war which is always a plus, u turn is for general scouting and momentum gaining, Brick break is largly filler but it can dispose of t-tar and heatran fairly easily.
Another great thing about victini is the fact it is surprisingly bulky even with minimal hp investment. If i were to make a complaint about this set it would be the fact that outside of V-create its attack power can be a bit lackluster, but all in all it is great at punching huge holes in the opponents team.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 92 Atk / 224 SAtk / 192 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Work Up
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast / Focus Blast
- Crunch / Earthquake
lol, thats my set, and I admit, it works wonders :D

Anywho, here's a set I wanted to post in C&C I swear if anyone posts this b4 I do I will bring the wrath on you D:<

@

EVs: 24 Atk / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Naive
Ability: Blaze

~ Work Up
~ Fire Blast
~ Close Combat
~ Stone Edge / Hidden Power Ice

Yea Yea, more Work Up sets, but this one has more viability than Hydra. This set works alot like Work Up Virizion, force a switch and get a free Work Up. However, Infernape has better mixed attacking stats (104 > 90) and great STABs resisted by only 5 OU Pokemon. (Latios, Latias, Tentacreul, Jellicent, and Gyarados) Fire Blast is used over Flare Blitz because it hits physically defenseive Pokemon (Gliscor and Conkeldurr) harder. Close Combat is used because Focus Blast sucks ass (and you know it's true). The last slot is up to teh user, Stone Edge is used to nail Gyarados and Volcarona, as well as keeping coverage agaisnt Salamence and Dragonite. Hidden Power Ice can be used to wreck Salamence and Dragonite, as well as hitting Haxorus harder.

The EV Spread allows Infernape to OHKO the standard BU Conkeldurr with a Fire Blast after a Work Up. It also OHKOs Gliscor after +1 as well. Max Speed is used to Speed Tie with other base 108's such as other Infernape and Terrakion, with a Naive nature so it can take Scizor's Bullet Punch better. Finally, the remaining 24 EVs are put into Attack to ensure so that Close Combat and Stone Edge do more damage.

Support for this set includes a way to take out the 5 Pokemon taht give Infernape trouble. Entry Hazards and Dual Screen support also work wonders. Last but not least, Thunder Wave support to screw over Latios, Latias and Tornadus are also key as all 3 can outspeed and OHKO Infernape with their STAB attacks.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
The top three pokemon I wanted to suggest have already been suggested (Medicham, Abomasnow, and Mienshao). You guys are mind-readers lol.

Anyway, in OU at the moment we seem to have forgotten how to use a proper offensive dragon dancer like DDMence from gen 4. So I'm going to suggest the following Haxorus:

Haxorus @ Life Orb
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Brick Break

Oh how do I love excessive power. A 120 Base Power move coming from 147 base Attack and a Life Orb is going to hurt, even when resisted. With a Life Orb you don't need to DD necessarily; you can just spam Outrage like a CB Haxorus. Earthquake and Brick Break ensure that most steels cannot completely wall Haxorus. Pretty much only Skarmory can do this, given that Bronzong is hit by Earthquake thanks to Mold Breaker. I think Skarmory is a Pokemon we can get rid of, right? The other problem for this set will be setting up, and that's why this is the kind of pokemon you build a team around. Hopefully we'll find a way to guarantee that DD, and it may well simply be game over.

Could use Adamant or Jolly, so I didn't list it.

edit: how much are we permitted to tweak sets after we have selected them; for example, if everyone really likes my Haxorus but wants Taunt over Brick Break, say, then could we possibly change the set a bit before building the entire team? I mean, it seems likely to me that some slightly sub-optimum sets are likely to be posted, and that posting another extremely similar set would be a bit silly.

I am nominating the Power of the Sun!!

Darmanitan @ Band/Scarf/LO (Depends on what nature you want)

Adamant/Jolly (Depends on what item you want. Even with Jolly, it hits like a truck!!)

Encourage (Only good ability it has)

252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def (Max speed and offensive potential)

- Flare Blitz (Duh!! Full power encourage boosted, sun boosted, and band boosted means death)!
- Superpower/Hammer Arm (Super power for Scarf and Arm for Band)
- U-Turn (Get the ____ out of there!!)
- Rock Slide/ Fire Punch (Coverage or non-recoil power?)

This guy works best with Sun support but does not need it. It works in all weathers minus rain. Even Ttar is scared to switch in as it has SE attacks on it and even Flare Blitz is deadly!! Wish Support is needed as Recoil hurts!! Let's see this monkey kill all that attack!! Sadly, you need to get rid of Dnite for best results :(

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream | Impish
252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang
-Slack Off

Often pushed away as the inferior Sand starter, Hippowdon does not see much use. Hippowdon, however, has amazing HP and Def which allows him to deal with many threats, and find many opportunities to set up SR. With Slack Off, Hippowdon is a reliable wall. Hippowdon can be a great backbone for Sand teams, and is a worthy option to base the team on.

Pocket

jc104 - edit: how much are we permitted to tweak sets after we have selected them; for example, if everyone really likes my Haxorus but wants Taunt over Brick Break, say, then could we possibly change the set a bit before building the entire team? I mean, it seems likely to me that some slightly sub-optimum sets are likely to be posted, and that posting another extremely similar set would be a bit silly.
Yes minor details may be altered after the mon is selected, though it may not necessarily be immediately after the selection. Major changes, such as removing Dragon Dance from your Haxorus, would not happen, though, as the change would transform the set into something entirely different.

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus

Wobbuffet @ Leftovers
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 200 Def / 56 SpD / 252 Spe (or the bulky spread)
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Encore
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Tickle / Safeguard

I haven't seen a top team utilizing Wobbuffet yet, but I think we can do it :p. Wobbuffet takes out common Choice Scarf users such as Terrakion and Landorus, who many underrated sweepers fear in the current metagame, so we would be able to make them shine. We can also provide Wobbufett with support, such as cleric and Wish to make it more effective.

Machamp @ Leftovers
Trait: No Guard
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- DynamicPunch
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch / Toxic

Machamp, the forgotten monster. Machamp is a beast, as 130 base Attack combined with STAB No Guard DynamicPunch means that nothing likes taking its main STAB, bar Ghost-types being immune to it. Confusion just adds to it, and while something like Dragonite or Gyarados doesn't mind taking a DynamicPunch that much, the confusion really messes the both of them up. Stone Edge provides near-perfect coverage, and thanks to No Guard is also perfectly accurate, and even has a high critical hit ratio which can be useful if you're lucky. Ice Punch is the best option in the last slot, as it hits Gliscor and Dragonite real hard, among others. Payback is also an option, hitting Ghost- and Psychic-types super effectively, but I don't really like it anymore this generation. For one, it doesn't do double damage on the switch anymore, and as such it can't hit slow Pokemon on the switch in. Also, almost every Ghost- or Psychic-type is either slower than Machamp (Jellicent, Reuniclus), frail enough to be taken down with Stone Edge (Alakazam, Gengar), or is hit super effectively by Ice Punch as well (Celebi, Latios). I also like using Toxic in the last slot, as it can really cripple common switchins into Machamp, such as Slowbro and Jellicent. For the note, 128 Speed EVs let you outspeed and finish off a weakened Skarmory before it can Brave Bird you, but you can take some EVs from Speed and invest them in HP for more bulk.

lol, thats my set, and I admit, it works wonders :D
Yes it was...thank you for that! One question I had, though; why didn't your set have Outrage on it? As I wrote in my post, it seems like you want a powerful STAB move for wallbreaking. I'm just curious; if I'm off base, feel free to say so.

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Jellicent @ Choice Specs
Water Absorb
Modest - 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
-Water Spout
-Surf
-Shadow Ball
-Energy Ball / Ice Beam

Yes, Specs Jellicent. A forgotten threat entirely, literally never seen in today metagame since the bulky stallbreaker is often favoured over this. However, Specs Jellicent makes for one of the most surprising wall-turned-powerhouse in the game, boasting the strongest water move in the game - Water Spout. With this, Jellicent can smash past some of the less bulky switch-ins to it such as Rotom-w. It also gets STAB on Shadow Ball, which maims the Lati@s/Celebi hoping to use it as set up bait.

Perhaps the coolest thing about this Jellicent is that obviously since it would be the focus of the team, the team would support it greatly with Rain, entry hazards etc. But this Jellicent is a true team player, luring out and breaking Pokemon that it's team mates would definitely want out their way too.

Mew @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock/Psychic
- Aura Sphere
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Shadow Ball

Mew is just an awesome Pokemon. It's impossible to predict what set Mew is running, so people may often switch out to the wrong counter like Heatran, because they predicted Stallbreaker set, and then they have to deal with +2 Mew.
With base 100 in every stat Mew becomes really powerful after a Nasty Plot, but still has the bulk to take some hits. The last move depends on the team mates.

For the note, 128 Speed EVs let Machamp outspeed Blissey, which can be very useful for Substituting before the Toxic, but you can take some EVs from Speed and invest them in HP for more bulk.
Machamp and Blissey have the same Base Speed, so you only need 4 Spe EVs to outrun min Speed Blissey and you'll need to max it just to tie with max Speed Blissey (not that anyone runs that). According to the analysis, that Speed is to outrun min Speed Skarmory. I'm not really sure that's such a great idea, as you can 2HKO it with Dynamic Punch if it uses Roost, since it removes its Flying-type for the turn.

Sub+3 Attacks Hydreigon

Hydreigon @ Leftovers/Expert Belt/Lum Berry/whatever
Levitate
Nature: Modest/Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe or whatever
- Substitute
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast/Earth Power
- Fire Blast/Surf

From the analysis:
With an impressive Special Attack stat, an even more impressive movepool, Levitate, and an incredible typing, Hydreigon is a Pokemon that tends to force switches, and is therefore an excellent user of the move Substitute. Notable targets that will likely switch out of Hydreigon include: Rotom-W, Ferrothorn, Forretress, Skarmory, Haxorus, and others. Substitute allows Hydreigon to scout for switch-ins, easing prediction. Substitute also blocks status moves, and prevents the dragon from being revenge-killed easily. Hydreigon can then utilize its 383 Special Attack stat to hit the opposing team really hard. Dragon Pulse is decently strong, and it dents a lot of Pokemon, although it does paltry damage to targets such as Tyranitar, Blissey, and Steel-types. This is where Focus Blast comes in; it does a massive 75% minimum to 252 HP / 252 SpD Sassy Tyranitar, 2HKOes Specially Defensive Heatran, and has perfect coverage alongside Hydreigon's Dragon-type STAB move. Fire Blast is used as the last move in order to hit other Steel-type Pokemon such as Jirachi, Ferrothorn and Scizor, much harder than Focus Blast would; it also has the added bonus of hitting Virizion super effectively.
I wrote more up earlier, but then my computer decided to shut down :P.

Hydreigon is pretty underrated in OU. When you do see one, they tend to be choiced. This set capitalizes on Hydreigon's low usage and general predictability. As the analysis states, Hydreigon forces switches. With this set, Hydreigon can throw up a Sub on a switch, and proceed to smash the enemy team with its tremendously powerful STAB moves or excellent coverage. Substitute is basically an awesome move for Hydreigon because it makes up for Hydreigon's below-average speed. Earth Power is an option over Focus Blast if you prefer the superior accuracy, but the loss of power is significant. Surf is an option over Fire Blast if you are afraid of rain or are working in a rain team, but it is generally inferior. The item choice is variable. The analysis lists Leftovers as the only option, and it's definitely a solid choice. With Leftovers, Hydreigon deals with passive damage much better and also can set up 4 Subs. However, picking something else lets Hydreigon bluff a choice set until the time is right. Expert Belt is the standard pick for these bluffing sets. Dragon Plate powers up Hydreigon's STAB a bit more, while Lum Berry protects it from status. Any of the type-resist berries like Chople, Haban, or Yache could be useful. Life Orb could give Hydreigon a bigger kick but it would be worn down quickly, so Wish support would be required.

The EV spread is pretty straight foward. It allows Hydreigon to have the highest damage output while still letting it reach 295 Speed, outspeeding Adamant Haxorus and neutral base 95s; the EV spread also lets Hydreigon Speed tie with positive base 85 Speed Pokemon.
If you feel that it is needed, a Timid nature can also be used. It grants Hydreigon the ability to outspeed positive base 90s, such as Jolly Lucario and Jolly Gliscor, as well as letting it outspeed neutral base 100s. However, the drop in power is noticeable. Lastly, a bulkier EV spread of 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe can be used if you want more bulk while retaining the ability to outspeed neutral base 90s.
EVs are whatever works. Outspeeding Gliscor would be nice but who runs max Speed Gliscor anyway. Maybe change them to outspeed standard Jirachi so you can 2HKO with Fire Blast? I'm not sure what is the best option. Anyway, pick this one, because Hydreigon is awesome and 125 base Special Attack is sexy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)