Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 19 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's a PID? How could somebody tamper with it? Do bred pokemon have otherwise traceable signs of being hacked?
What is a PID?

Whenever a Pokemon is created in the games, the first thing that is generated is a 32-bit number called a PID (Pokemon IDentification number). This number is sometimes also called the Personality Value of a Pokemon, and is not visible anywhere in the game. It can only be found by looking into the Pokemon save file... or by an applet that can be located here. A lot of information about the Pokemon can be found using just the PID alone. In particular, the nature of a Pokemon is found just from its PID. Where applicable, the gender, ability and Unown letter shape are also found just from the PID of the Pokemon in question.
'Tampering' with it is called 'RNG-abuse'. Check Mingot's PRNG thread for more information about RNG abuse, and if you want check X-Act's article on PID and IV creation.

I asked this a looooong time ago (like almost 2 SQSA threads ago), but I guess I'll give the short version this time.

It seems the Platinum GTS is worse than the D/P GTS. I once tried to trade a Victreebel that the person asked for a Pokemon I no longer remember and a Magnezone for something else. I made sure the genders requested were right (except for Magnezone, of course). But when I go to offer them, they're blacked out and I can't choose them. Confused, I get on the GTS on my Pearl, and I learn that they're acually asking for a level 100 Victreebel and an over level 60 Magnezone. The GTS on Platinum only said Male Victreebel and a Magnezone. Why is it that Platinum doesn't give the level requirements?

I asked this a looooong time ago (like almost 2 SQSA threads ago), but I guess I'll give the short version this time.

It seems the Platinum GTS is worse than the D/P GTS. I once tried to trade a Victreebel that the person asked for a Pokemon I no longer remember and a Magnezone for something else. I made sure the genders requested were right (except for Magnezone, of course). But when I go to offer them, they're blacked out and I can't choose them. Confused, I get on the GTS on my Pearl, and I learn that they're acually asking for a level 100 Victreebel and an over level 60 Magnezone. The GTS on Platinum only said Male Victreebel and a Magnezone. Why is it that Platinum doesn't give the level requirements?
No idea why it does that, but most people seem to have accepted it. What's weird is that my Australian Platinum DOES show requested levels. Looks like Australia got the best version of Platinum besides Japan. America has no level display on the GTS and the European versions have no slots.

New here. Hi.

Anyways, I just recently started competitive Pokemon playing, so I've got no knowledge about any of the competitive terms, or rules.

My first question is "Is there a thread that gives an explanation about this stuff?"

My second question is "What are some necessities that a singles Pokemon team should have?"

Third question is "Is there a thread that explains the rules and gameplay of Doubles?"

Similar to the second question;"What pokemon, moves, items, are necessary for a doubles team?"

would it therefore be quicker to start a new FRLG save and play all the way through that and soft reset for a zapdos there?
I'd say so. If you choose a starter and pair it with a Mankey you catch early on, you can actually get the Master Ball and Surf to Zapdos within a day, if you're a bit diligent. ;D

If you reset for Zapdos in Platinum, save before talking to Oak and track it down. It'll be 100000x times easier if you nab it with a Master Ball. XD

ColdEye, I'd say Thunder would be a lot better. With the high Sp. Def flying around there and Regice's only decent Sp. Attack, the power boost is welcomed (along with the increased paralysis chance).

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
New here. Hi.

Anyways, I just recently started competitive Pokemon playing, so I've got no knowledge about any of the competitive terms, or rules.

My first question is "Is there a thread that gives an explanation about this stuff?"

My second question is "What are some necessities that a singles Pokemon team should have?"

Third question is "Is there a thread that explains the rules and gameplay of Doubles?"

Similar to the second question;"What pokemon, moves, items, are necessary for a doubles team?"
this and this might help you. There's also a double's guide in Contributions and corrections.

this and this might help you. There's also a double's guide in Contributions and corrections.
Thank you.

Another question; is it better to make a team where the pokemon are all from the same tier? Or is a team consisting of pokemon from different tiers more effective?

Another question; is it better to make a team where the pokemon are all from the same tier? Or is a team consisting of pokemon from different tiers more effective?
Translation being something like "Can I use my favourites on a serious team even though they are UU?" Or, "Is there any element of surprise from using lower-tiered pokes in Standard?"

The answer to both of these is no. There are exceptions to using UU/NU pokemon in Standard, such as Kabutops and Ludicolo on a Rain team, Porygon2 to counter....everything...and Cradily on a Sandstorm Stall team. However, for the most part, the tiers are a great guideline for what you should and shouldn't be using. For example, Blaziken is almost completely outclassed by Infernape. SubSeed Sceptile is outclassed by Celebi, while Swords Dance variants are outclassed by other Swords Dancers, like Lucario, Scizor, and Heracross. Drifblim can Baton Pass 101 HP Substitutes and Calm Mind boosts, but Gengar does everything else better.

Don't use a UU pokemon in OU if there is an OU pokemon that can do it better. If you're going for the "element of surprise", that is, hoping your opponent doesn't know what to expect, it won't work--you're banking on your opponent's ignorance, which is never a good idea. In short, OUs belong in OU, UUs belong in UU. Stick to the standards until your skill improves.

Simple question goes here...

What is the 5th Trainer Star (Black) on Platinum?

Serebii says nothing on this matter. Bulbapedia says it's same as Diamond; and some other websites says you have to get all colored plates of the Frontier Brains.

If it is the latter, fuck it, I'm not going to tear my hair out trying to out BS Battle Factory.

Let's take OU for example. Many UU Pokemon can be used in OU, but usually mostly OU Pokemon is recommended. Basically, look at all "good" Pokemon that can be used in the tier, and choose, ignoring the tier they are originally from. Also, in UU, NU Pokemon are common (I think, I don't play on Shoddy a lot).

It seems that in my playthrough of Diamond, where I got a shiny Chimchar from the start, at the end I had neglected to EV-wipe and reset his EVs to something useable for battle.

So, now I have a Mild Infernape with Nasty Plot for a potential mixape, and the IVs of 27/29/12/23/25/25. It's not right for a mixape, but I leveled it up as Chimchar for just in case anyways; does this Infernape have any chance at being EV'd into a halfway decent mixape, or should I just go with suggested set for the nature and use it as a Choice Scarfer? With 252 speed EVs instead of the recommended 232 it can reach a speed of 309, which is 1 less than the recommended; with lower IVs for Atk and S.Atk as well, are there any special numbers I should be aiming for to get the 2HKO or something?

I'm not new to the concept of competitive battling, but I am still ignorant of the majority of competitive pokemon. In other words, I know the pokemon and their general uses, but I've yet to wrap my head around the stat numbers and what EVs need to go where for maximum potential ^^;

So I just bred a Shiny Admant Magikarp with 13/31/15/19/31/22. Should I SR it, or keep it?
If you didn't use RNG-abuse to purposefully breed it shiny, then keep it, because that would mean that you could now figure out your Secret ID and, using that, breed all the shinies you wanted on command! Muahahaha! *cough* <.<

Depends on how much you like using shinies, and if you want to spend the time looking for a good RNG seed to use with the system to breed shinies with good/decent IVs...

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
So I just bred a Shiny Admant Magikarp with 13/31/15/19/31/22. Should I SR it, or keep it?
That 22 IV in Speed is going to be annoying if you use it for battles. If you do battle with it, don't max speed EVs.

EDIT: You won't outspeed what you're used to Gyara outspeeding with a Speed IV of 22, so instead of wasting 252 EVs in Speed, only put the speed EVs you need to outspeed the next major threat. Max Adamant Gyarados generally reaches 261 Speed, but with a Speed IV of 22 Gyara only gets to 252 Speed maximum, slower than other Gyarados, Pokemon with a base speed stat of 80, and max speed Heatran with no scarf. This happens when you max speed.

Instead of wasting EVs in speed, why not only put enough EVs to outspeed max speed Jolly Tyranitar, namely 220 EVs which brings you to 244. Any other speed EVs would be largely wasted. Also, at 244 speed, after a Dragon Dance, you outspeed all Pokemon with a base speed stat of 115 or less, unless they run Choice Scarf.

If you didn't use RNG-abuse to purposefully breed it shiny, then keep it, because that would mean that you could now figure out your Secret ID and, using that, breed all the shinies you wanted on command! Muahahaha! *cough* <.<

Depends on how much you like using shinies, and if you want to spend the time looking for a good RNG seed to use with the system to breed shinies with good/decent IVs...

I actually DID breed it through RNG abuse, but I don't understand how to do it for IVs... seems very time-consuming (pun intended).

Thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)