CAP 14 CAP 3 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mos-Quitoxe, again, that's amazing. I've always wanted to see a cone snail pokemon. Personally, I think you've already struck gold with this.

aragornbird, I like the chimera, but the camel is my favorite by far. My only real issue with the original version was the tacked on symbol, but the new version is great. Unfortunately I don't care too much for the gila monster, I guess it's just not flashy enough for me, heh.

CyzirVisheen, I'm VERY interested to see where you're going with that and what colors you're going to use with it, because it's looking great.

Nastyjungle, that's almost veering into nightmare fuel territory (I'm somewhat arachnophobic, heh) and it seems too "serious" and not "cartooney" enough for me to actually think of it as a pokemon. "Not looking like a pokemon" is the stupidest criticism ever, though, and it's undoubtedly awesome as it is, so considering the support I wouldn't change anything too much.

I actually like the new witch doctor thing. The two chains look like arms. and they are holding a weapon.

Maybe you can make a heat pop out of the cauldron, and have the chains as arms?

Messing with new design concepts didn't yield much except a colored version of headbanging rock frog. (The hair and hands are now on fire, Doran Dragon! But it doesn't actually feel all that different...)

Which brings the number of frog designs on this CAP to an all-time high. I tried making this guy more long and lanky to differentiate him from Birkal's squat little cutemon and Uberksetchy's badassitude (Both of which are undeniably good.), but I think it all it did was make his arms and legs look like spaghetti noodles. -.-

Looking at the other entries, I have to say I'd be ridiculously honored to even be featured in the same Art Poll as these guys. This stuff is awesome!

meddle, for your cauldron-witchdoctormon, I feel like the witch doctor works better than pure cauldron, but...I don't know, not inside the pot. Maybe it could carry the cauldron around, Conkeldurr like? Or, just throwing ideas out there, wear it like a Vullaby-esque diaper, which brings it pretty far out into cutemon territory and also starts giving me images of "Liar, liar, pants on fire"...but whatever direction you choose to take it, I'm digging the concept!

Uberksetchy, I think orange and red works the best, although I may be a bit biased in that regard. Good work, and I can't wait to see more!

Oh, and Quanyails, did you know that this thread is the number two search result for "wholesomely impressive" on Google? :D

Okay this is my first draft of my design: a Komodo dragon!
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb353/RitterCat/0e0f3756.jpg
It has a hole in its head for poisonous gases (and the sack on its throat is a poison gland) It's fire down its back can be turned on and off a la cyndaquil, so when it rains it turns the fire off and absorbs water with its dry, scaly skin. iLife spits poison out its mouth and shoots fire out its tail. Colluded art coming when I get back from a camp I'm just about to leave on in ten minutes

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
It's snake oil! (Thanks for the pun, Mos!)

Supplementary sketches:

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/5403/unnamedsnakesupplementa.png

Left to right, top to bottom:
Ouroboros transportation, using Sludge Bomb, roasting a Delibird, lurking in waters, some tail-attack (Power Whip?), and sneaking up on a Gastrodon.
My style seems much more cartoony. O.o

Comments:

• KoA: Aw, I liked the first one, but out of your new two, I do like that slugfrog. Kinda reminds me of a leech, but that's beside the point.
  • Birkal: Weeell, you are making it seem very Water/Poison-ish, aren't you? Yes, bring out more of that Fire-type in the pokemon.
  • Flummoxen: I could see this working out well, if it weren't for the quite bright pink and very insectoid appearance it has. Yes, a beetle is a bug. I know that. But it'd need more of its typing aspects. By the way, I also use MS Paint. :P
  • SubwayJ: The hazard symbol on its back seems quite stuck-on. :/ I think it could work without it, really. If you need a fire reference, how about igniting the goop inside?
  • bluemon: Oh, my. Vicious, though very well-designed. There's definitely that Fire-type motif, and I suppose I'll see the Poison-type side well enough. Good job!
  • aragornbird: That camel's quite unique, but I still like the chimera. Add irises to it if you're okay with straying away from your inspiration. Either way, that chimera does sound like something Game Freak would do.
  • Phazon-764: The head looks like an upside-down mouth rather than an opening, so maybe a smaller hole can do. I do like your idea, though merging the dinosaur and teapot together would make it a better design. :)
  • Uberksetchy: Conveying the typings, though, you might want to display more of. The frog itself works for poison (maybe with dots), though the Fire-type is a bit lacking. #1 does that through color, though.
  • nov: The coloring is a big 'yay' from me. :) The frilled cheeks, though, detract slightly. But I can see it being this fashionable, hot, toxic lizard. Definitely interesting!
  • Asylum_Rhapsody: A circle with three arcs around it is rather plain. Maybe make one arc a robe and the other two wings, attach them somehow, and add more thematic designs, but currently, the art doesn't convey the types.
  • meddle: Aw, I liked the cauldron more. D: I'd think your current design could do without it. If you don't want it to be metallic, you can make it clear or vibrant. You could even keep it the same. :P Fire/Poison was well-conveyed in yours.
  • Kwihll: Hrm... well... I don't think the guitar is necessary. A thoroughly defined pokemon would work through design and character. And lol, Googlewhacking search result. :P Yay for vocabulary!
  • RitterCat: The legs and how they prop the body up look rather odd. I suggest they were sprawled out more so the body is closer to the ground. And as Mos mentioned, that means the throat sac would have to be adjusted to make up for the decrease in height. I like how you've done the randomish, fiery ridge on its back, as well as the Poison-type aspects of it. Even the cross-hatched body reminds me of a barbeque!

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Drew some more supplementary art to putz around with the style and some poses. Here is my previous post if you want to see the potential coloration.

My biggest concern at the moment is trying to find a way to integrate the blow pipe more significantly into the design. I think I'll be giving the poison dart frog some war paint and then imprint a similar design on the pipe. I'm also going to try to make the throat more fire-like. Any ideas here are appreciated! I also am considering making his eyebrows more fire-y, but I don't want to get too close to Darmanitan's crazy brows. Finally, I'm thinking about maybe adding some little horns? Dunno, you might see those coming in and out of the next few sketches.

Also, I drew a potential shiny coloration just for capefeather~

"Shiny" Coloration

hehehe

Almost-final submission

Volcanic Giant Tubeworm-mon quick facts:

• Likes to dwell around volcanic areas. These Pokemons are extremely rare as most can only be seen around underwater volcanoes.
  • Red marks on body are actually its blood flowing through its body.
  • Implants itself on an area where it can suck lava in its body. Why? Its body needs heat at a immense temperature of 700 °C and more to function.
  • Lack of heat in its body for a long period of time will make its red marks turn dull pink and then eventually white, meaning death.
  • Excess heat are released through the holes in its body parts. The released are extremely toxic as its body is already naturally poisonous.
  • The protected part on its head is its primary organ, or we call it, the heart.

Supporting Material

Volcanic Giant Tubeworm-mon not implanted.

Volcanic Giant Tubeworm-mon is very laid back by nature and would prefer to stay implanted sucking lava to keep itself alive and functioning for the rest of its life. However, if such threats occur, it will still fight back. Should it fail to repel the threat away through its normal form, it will change its form using the hardened lava(rocks) surrounding him to resemble a lava golem to defend itself.

Still open for feedback.

Some more stuff; added some details to my original design
I guess the concept would be a toxic waste disposal guy combined with a worm.

Here is a rough line-art and coloring of my idea for this CAP, a 'land-octopus.'

Based off of the blue ring octopus (and off of deep sea vents). Basically it releases 2 different poisonous chemicals that when combine create a synthetic flame. I think I'll need to change the two poison clouds to the fire to convey the fire type in the image without needing the back-up with the synthetic flame flavor. Since it is synthetic flame, it can still use fire attacks but it is resistant to water attacks. I can almost imagine this Pokemon living in the ocean on the sea floor releasing its poisonous gases and making synthetic flames in the ocean. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Response to ikasu

Based off of the blue ring octopus (and off of deep sea vents). Basically it releases 2 different poisonous chemicals that when combine create a synthetic flame. I think I'll need to change the two poison clouds to the fire to convey the fire type in the image without needing the back-up with the synthetic flame flavor. Since it is synthetic flame, it can still use fire attacks but it is resistant to water attacks. I can almost imagine this Pokemon living in the ocean on the sea floor releasing its poisonous gases and making synthetic flames in the ocean. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
THIS IS AN IDEA, DONT GET MAD, IF I STEP ON YOUR TOES TELL ME
I find it kind of cool that despite it being a fire pokemon CAP most of the designs worth their weight in Poke'Balls involve water.
Also i like this idea a lot, and am glad to know that there are just as many biology nerds out there as me. The blue ring octopus-vent is really really neat overall, and I wonder if you might want to change some of the octopuses anatomy though, make the vents a bit longer and in a different spot. i drew a rough sketch >>>>>http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o626/JakeOfJohto/untitled.jpg
its just an idea though

@ KoA
It resembles a whole mishmash of johto pokes... i love it.
Slugma+Quagsire+Dunsparce

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
http://oi47.tinypic.com/15helix.jpg
Just a rough copy of an idea I had. What better thing would be resistant to water than a teapot? Fire and poison are incorporated in the steam. I might continue or not based on the feedback I get for it.
I honestly love this concept; it's probably one of my favorites overall, not sure if the steam coming out of its head is totally needed though.

Here's a very very rough sketch of my concept so far - a hydra.

(excuse the extra lines and things please, I really meant it when I said it was rough)

Was hoping to make it semi-cute in some way what with the puny arms and things? Hopefully that came across a bit.

The Lernean Hydra's most powerful weapon was actually its poisonous nature - it was extremely toxic in every way, including it's blood. I'm trying to find a way to show that acidic nature without "props." This design will probably be embellished a lot to show that poison-typing more if I can't achieve it through coloring.

Was gonna go with a komodo, but I'm really bad at turning plain creatures that are badass into badass complex creatures. It's a good thing there are two great komodo designs here already.

Okuu

Blame [me] for Global Warming!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
I must say I am really liking how KoA's, Birkal's and Quanyails' is shaping up. Quanyails' is easily my favourite right now, though.

Supp. Material

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/Yilx/sg1.jpg
"Dynamic Entry!"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/Yilx/sg2_2.jpg
"Drought!"

And some attacking moves.

Will-o'-Wisp Poison Jab
I also revised his colour scheme slightly.
I... I want that. I still haven't forgotten how Ice/Rock lost in this CAP topic, but after seeing this, I don't care too much anymore.

Dusk209

No relation.
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yilx's is pretty much perfect, Uberksetchy's frog is great and aragornbird's 3 designs are nice too (although the're a bit too simple). Here are some criticisms from a noob:

elementalpenguin - way too similar to cyclohm and hydreigon.
KoA - I think this needs more color; the red and blue are too dull.
birkal - the shiny is better

Seriously though if Yilx doesn't win I'll cry.

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
So I have this a shot after having a thought. I've been stung by a particularly poisonous creature before, and it burned for days. With that in mind, meet the lionfish:

Now fish aren't very fiery, clearly. Being a Pokémon, however, lets us cheat. We can make it swim in lava if we like. If it turns out as a Rain-themed mon or an opponent to bulky Waters, that does just as well.

It's a starting draft, so I'd like to know I'm not making any dreadful mistakes before I apply something that isn't pencil.

Based on the Pufferfish, I'll do some support art later to show this

The poisonous gas inside is what makes it "float"

Support art:

meddle

boomer user
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I guess I compromised with feedback. No more witch doctor...

But when drawing the cauldron again, I really felt that the opening just needed... something to bring out the poison typing. So I literally "brought out" the poison with another dual-mon approach:

Cauldron and bubbly goo monster. Sorry for the lack of smooth line art, did this in about 10 minutes D:

I'm thinking about paring it down to just the cauldron again, though, for a future iteration, like Mos-Q suggested. I like to think that at least I've improved on the design of the cauldron itself. I like his geometry and proportions much better this way.

Quanyails, i totally support your one. I so much imagine it using Flamethrower by outting its tail just before its mouth and then spitting a spark on the oil!!
Elementalpenguin, yours is quite impressive too, but true it looks like a tree-headed wingless Charizard.

Mos-Quitoxe is my favourite at the moment not gonna lie. The supplementary pictures really sold it too me. So cute!

Yilix's and Quanyails's are my next two favourites, I especially like the former for its unique design :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)