CAP 15 CAP 4 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cyzir's wormhole worm is awesome! I agree with the lack of worms in Polemon and that would be an awesome design to see fleshed out. I like ToxicPhox's hive mind creature and Yilx's moth, too.

Asylum_Rhapsody

Back to working on my design. The "wings" will essentially be visually identical to existing Rorschach tests, so I'm not worried about those. My main priority right now if figuring out what to do with the body; I don't want it to be too simplistic like in the original concept sketch, but at the same time it's probably going to be a relatively small part of the picture, so I don't want to make it too busy or complex. Above all, I want to make it look like a psychologist.

Here's some of what I sketched at work today, though unfortunately I don't have a great scanner. I decided to remove the pupils from the eyes, because I want them to look more like glasses. I tried working on the placement of the antennae to make them look more like thin hair than angry eyebrows. I thought that the mandibles looked a little bit too malevolent, so I just removed them entirely. Finally, I removed the legs and second pair of arms as unnecessary for the design. You may also notice that I wrote "Psycholobug" in the image. That's just my working name for it. I hope that it's okay for me to call it that openly without it being considered name poll-jumping, because the name is one character too long to be allowed anyway and would thus not be a legal name submission.

What I'm mainly questioning right now is body shape and design. I'm trying to go for body lines that look believably insect-like but also make it look like it's wearing a sweater-vest, as that's the attire that comes to mind when I think psychiatrist. I can imagine the oval of this Psycholobug's body being thinner (2nd down from top-left) or rounder (2nd down from top-right) or something in between (top-right), but I want to avoid the kinds of V-shapes or athletic builds that could make it look like a competent fighter.

I have two main concerns right now about the design in general. The first is with with Psycholobug looking rounder, which I fear could end up too Shedinja-like. I love Shedinja, and I think that Psycholobug looks better round like that, but I'm worried that the similarity may turn people off. My other concern is that, well, to put it bluntly, Psycholobug is not a Pokemon who looks badass, and it is not a Pokemon who should look badass. It's a Pokemon that should look a little out of shape and maybe even a little bit pathetic, because that's what the concept that I'm going for calls for. If I try to make it look badass, it's not going to look "right". Unfortunately, looking back on what's won before, CAP voters vastly prefer something that looks badass, if not in its final submission image then at least in the supporting artwork. Who knows, though? I might be able to ramp up the badassery in the supporting artwork when I get to working on what I really want it to be able to do with those "wings"...

Anyway, feedback and ideas appreciated as always.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If anybody cares, I updated post #2 to include the most recent works from all the artists in this thread, for your perusal (if I missed you, send me a message and I'll add you in).

And on another note eeh so many great designs aaah

This is going to be a tough one, and I love the diversity of entries. Carry on.

What I think, is that you have a Direct Link error =/

Also, here's a second attempt at making a half-decent bug/psychic on Paint =/ I'd try hand-drawing it but I don;t have a scanner, and a web-cam photo doesn't exactly scream "high-res", so this is all I can really do.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
PuffinHour, the resemblance to the Lake Guardian Trio is waaaaaay too strong for my liking. I think the entire head area needs some serious reworking.

Ack, it didn't get posted, noooo.

Anyways, let's try this again...

So here she is! I decided to go more alienesque and give the mon a single eyeball which will be a glorious red. I got rid of the stinger and changed the details slightly on it. How's it look?

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Reminds me of the playstation move.

Aside from that, Idunno. It's lacking spice. Perhaps color will help with that.

I am super psyched for the great directions that people are interpreting flavor... Cartoons!' buglovers, Doug's Bookworm, Birkal's magician hat just to name a few.

Also a big fan of the different styles of eyes that artists are endowing their creations with, I always imagined psychics as troubled souls (for the same reason as the plot of Flowers for Algernon), and I think its tight when the eyes show outright anger or more subtle pain.

Here's a WIP of a better sketch/painting of the fairy version of my jewel wasp:

I kind of wanted to do more before posting it, but I figured I'd get some opinions or something first. Should I physically attach the wings, or should they psychically hold themselves there and hover? I was also curious about any sort of stinger designs--probably something thin and long, for stabbing rather than something barbed and breakable.

I'm just going to give feedback to Orivexes at the moment because his/hers was one of my favorites:

I think you should reattach the wings. Honestly, i feel as if you just make a bigger version of your first sketch, maybe tidy some things up, you are golden! I seriously loved the sketch you did, and a lot of other people did too. in my opinion, you should strive to make this more like your first sketch of the jewel wasp mon. Great job as always!

I'm just going to give feedback to Orivexes at the moment because his/hers was one of my favorites:

I think you should reattach the wings. Honestly, i feel as if you just make a bigger version of your first sketch, maybe tidy some things up, you are golden! I seriously loved the sketch you did, and a lot of other people did too. in my opinion, you should strive to make this more like your first sketch of the jewel wasp mon. Great job as always!
Thanks! I was afraid they'd clutter up the hands, but I think I see what you mean. I also hate hate hated my first sketch, to be honest--it was nowhere what was in my head, and every time I went to edit it, I would get frustrated! That, and it looks more like a butterfly than a wasp, and I want to make something that looks physically and specially menacing, as to not influence stats.

I'm working on getting the wings to look a bit more beautiful rather than waspy, though, and maybe I'll modify the style of the thorax.

You're the artist of course, so do whatever you think is best! I just want to let you know though, you might hate hate hate the first sketch, but i love love love it! The more i look at it the more it gets me. Just my opinion though. The more your final submission looks like the first sketch, the happier at least i will be haha. But, you're a talented artist, i'm sure your final product will look excellent regardless!

(i also kinda like how it looks more like a butterfly/moth than wasp....)

Psychic is a hard typing to pull off visually; most pokemon in the game either resort to props (Alakazam, Slowking), stereotypes (Mr Mime, Jynx), or just throwing pink and purple colours in a blender (Mesprit, Grumpig) to get the point across. The trick is that a psychic types is supposed to be smarter than you. So while this design may not have the typical psychic 'gimmicks', I tried to capture the haughtiness and condescension of somebody that knows they're smarter than you, and are just biding their time before they snap the trap shut.

Tying in with that theme, I took elements from the most haughty animals around, jungle cats. There's a serious lack of big cats in the game; the only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Liepard (lol) and the Cat Trio. This fellow has elements of both jaguars in his form and also tigers in his colouring of course.

My favourite psychic designs present something ostensibly normal, but with something 'off', or unnatural about it, which I tried to capture by incorporating the arachnoid elements in. Please let me know what you think! :)

Here`s my bug (If you cant tell,i cant draw at all).

That bug is based mostly on the mosquito (not too much though).

After a mosquito drinks too much blood,it will became fat,wich is what my entry represents.
The mosquito here drank too much,making his body way to large for the wings to properly work,leading him into developing Psychic powers.

The small red lines on his body are the blood leaking out of his body,somewhat similar to Machoke`s arms.
The two small things on the sides are his legs,wich are completely useless.

You may have seen a few white dots on his ''hands'',it is from there where my bug steals the precious blood he needs.

Fun-Fact: He cant actualy digest or remove the blood he gets,so he will just keep getting larger and larger.

did you know that mom scorpion carries her babies on her back to protect them

well now you do

http://www.deviantart.com/download/329230829/fakemon_by_nastyjungle-d5g0k4t.png
Oh my god yes. So much yes. It's adorable and nasty and incredible and just oh yes.

Anyways, I went ahead and finished up my first major draft of my jewel wasp! (I'm on a roll today!) Taking a lot of the comments into consideration, people seem to liked the fairy elements, so I edged my way in that direction. The wings are full-out butterfly/fairy, as you can see, because hey, why not make up a bug and make it pretty or whatever? In the end, it's probably one of the least buggy bug-types out there, and that's pretty cool, I think.

Now, you might be thinking, "But Orivexes, I thought you wanted it to look wasp-ier! What is this nonsense?

Well, I got a silly idea, and I had to go with it...
http://i.imgur.com/bddXQ.png

For my design of CAP 4, I took the idea of Hive Mind fairly literally, and thus Beehivemon came into existence. My favorite psychic-types are the ones like Bronzong and Solrock, who are kind of eerie and just seem powerful. So, I decided to adapt this idea to something traditionally buggy, a beehive. So, I ended up with this mixture of tribal mask (typically known for their magical powers) and a beehive, that uses the swarm of bees to help move it and for its attacks. I imagine for megahorn, the bees pick up the beehive and ram it into their opponent. The color scheme is a psychic purple version of bee's black and yellow stripes.

Feedback, suggestions, questions? I have a couple other slight variations to upload, but this Siberian internet is unnatrually slow. I'm also aware that its current form breaks the rule of 'must-have-borders', but that will be fixed for the final submission.

leethoof, I like your idea of beehivemon. One thing I would suggest is giving it a definite eye, as is the case for your favorite pokemon Bronzong or Solrock. Right now, it just seems like a regular beehive with a tribal mask pattern on it. I don't know if its eye is the one on the top or the two eyes at the mid-bottom, but give it more popping color and pupil to discern it from its face/body maybe?

@nastyjungle where's the psychic? that looks like bug/im gonna kill you

@thunderbuckets that is just some random cat with an undefined type that is neither bug nor psychic

Base Speed

What a load of BS!
Hello again CAP.

After some deliberation as to the direction and theme of my CAP, I've had a little overhaul and come up with this:

What do you guys think?

I've already given most people feedback either on my last post here or in the IRC. Would like to say how much I like Leethoof's Hive Mind, but I agree with jayykay that it needs more distinct eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)