B&W Research Thread

Unless I'm forgetting something really simple, I feel like the mechanics of Experience Gaining have changed.

I have a Sazando (level 73) and a Tesshiido (level 24) in my party, both with Lucky Eggs attached. Both of these have my Trainer ID. I'm trying to level up Tesshiido quickly by having the battle mode on switch, and switching to Tesshiido every time I'm given the option and immediately back to Sazando, I'm sure you all know the drill.

This is what I expected to happen: lets say the Pokemon I'm facing a Pokemon who gives out 4000 exp normally. With the Lucky Egg this Pokemon should now give out 6000 exp in total, 3000 to each, right?

Anyway, I was fighting a level 67 Erufuun, which I can't imagine gives out that much Exp (usually 3-stage Pokes give out the most). My Sazando got ~ 2100 exp. and my Tesshiido got ~ 6000 exp. !! Next I faced a Doredia and Sazando got maybe 200 more exp, Tesshiido slightly less.

- Does having more than one Pokemon with the Lucky Egg compound experience?
- Does the order your Pokemon enters battle in affect how much exp they get (can't imagine so).
- Do Tesshiido's and Sazanado's different base exp.'s account for something here (this was never the case in past games)
- Is the amount of exp you gain greater if you defeat a Pokemon many levels higher than your own level?

I'm going to test this more, but does anyone know anything about this? I really don't think this was the case in DPPt, I'm been doing similar things leveling Pokemon up, I think I would have noticed it...and I never saw any mention of it anywhere.

I'm going to test this more, but does anyone know anything about this? I really don't think this was the case in DPPt, I'm been doing similar things leveling Pokemon up, I think I would have noticed it...and I never saw any mention of it anywhere.
Erm, yes, this was brought up a few pages ago, I believe. Experience gain seems to be determined somewhat by level, but testing is still needed.

Nobody really knows how much damaged was halved by Solid Rock last generation. Smogon says 1/4, Serebii says 1/2 and Bulbapedia says 1/3.
Smogon is the one that was right. Bulbapedia and Serebii were both wrong. I don't know why Bulbapedia left it as it was, but I think no one bothered pointing it out to Serebii.

Erm, yes, this was brought up a few pages ago, I believe. Experience gain seems to be determined somewhat by level, but testing is still needed.
Yes. While we don't know the intricacies of the EXP. system, it's safe to say that:

- If your Pokemon's level is lower than the opponent's, than the bigger the level difference, the more experience you get.
- If your Pokemon's level is higher than the opponent's, than the smaller the level difference, the more experience you get.

IIRC, there was a user that started testing exactly how much EXP you gain depending on the level difference, but I don't remember him reaching a conclusion...

Er... light metal is an ability that halves the pokemon's weight. What does this have to do with gravity (which, unless it was changed, does not change the pokemon's weight) or Magnet Rise (which works regardless of the user's weight).
So, it doesn't hurt to check if Light Metal has SOME use on Metagross. Even if those moves don't have to do with weight, maybe Light Metal does more than halve the Pokemon's weight, and its just not in its description.

So, it doesn't hurt to check if Light Metal has SOME use on Metagross. Even if those moves don't have to do with weight, maybe Light Metal does more than halve the Pokemon's weight, and its just not in its description.
this is just a random assumption out of nowhere and probably has no logical base at all, but maybe someone should check to see if Light Metal affects speed at all? whether it gives the pokemon an invisible speed boost a la unburden when it comes out or if maybe +speed moves like Agility, Body Purge or Rock Polish get a boost on them?

its just a thought and is probably way off target. but Light Metal seems odd to me, like we are missing something...?

this is just a random assumption out of nowhere and probably has no logical base at all, but maybe someone should check to see if Light Metal affects speed at all? whether it gives the pokemon an invisible speed boost a la unburden when it comes out or if maybe +speed moves like Agility, Body Purge or Rock Polish get a boost on them?

its just a thought and is probably way off target. but Light Metal seems odd to me, like we are missing something...?
Although it is a bit unrelated, I heard Body Purge lowers the users weight as well as raising its speed.

Although it is a bit unrelated, I heard Body Purge lowers the users weight as well as raising its speed.
I see, hmm.. to me i believe we do not know everything about the weight mechanics this generation. i don't know where to start but it seems more is yet to be discovered. maybe by testing or by luck we will find out something new. who knows. as i do not have B/W i cannot test anything myself

I haven't seen anything related to movement, so I figured I'd post what I know.

Note: Ingrain does not affect any form of movement

"Move" mechanics:
- An option available only to Pokemon on the left and right sides of a triple battle
- Allows the user to change places with the Pokemon in the center
- Priority = 0 (meaning "move" is done when the Pokemon would normally attack)
- Even if a Pokemon is the last remaining, it can still move

"Reset Move" mechanics:
- Done automatically in triple battles when each team's final Pokemon happen to be on opposite sides, as shown:

[X][0][0]
[0][0][X]

(X represents the remaining Pokemon)

- Puts both Pokemon in the center position
- Done at the very end of the turn in which all other Pokemon have fainted
- Does not occur if each side's final Pokemon is close enough to deal damage without having to use long-range attacks

Side Change mechanics:
- Targets user
- Priority = 1
- Changes positions with the ally on the far side in a triple battle
- Will never change positions with the ally in the middle of a triple battle
- Will fail if the user is in the middle in a triple battle
- Changes positions with the ally in a double battle
- Will fail if the user is the last remaining Pokemon
- Will always fail in a single battle
Remaining tests for Side Change:
Will Side Change work if the ally has been KOed by Extremespeed or Fake Out?

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Today jumpluff and I tested three things:

OmegaDonut said:
Follow Me\Rage Powder: Will it still attract attacks from the Pokemon on the opposite side from it, even though they wouldn't normally be able to attack each other? If the answer is no, what happens when the Pokemon uses a move like Gust that can hit a Pokemon on the opposite side?
We can confirm that Follow Me still attracts attacks from the Pokemon on the opposite side from it. As for Powder Rage, it happens the same as with Follow Me.

OmegaDonut said:
Mummy: Does it remove Wonder Guard\Slow Start?
From our tests with Shedinja, we can say that Mummy did not remove Wonder Guard. We'll proceed to test in the next hours if Mummy removes the other listed ability, Slow Start.

OmegaDonut said:
Illusion: Is the illusion broken by direct damage attacks, or moves like Thunder Wave? Does the collateral damage from Fire Burst cause the illusion to fade?
We carried out our tests by using a Zoroark and multiple Pokemon with moves such as Thunder Wave, Toxic, and attacking moves. These are our results:

• The illusion is broken by direct damage attacks.
  • Status moves such as Thunder Wave and Toxic do not break the illusion.
  • Sandstorm and Hail do not break the illusion.
  • Entry hazards do not break the illusion.
  • Fire Burst's collateral damage: we'll test this in the next few hours.
Additionally, if you switch the Pokemon out while the illusion is active, it will be lost.

That's all for now. We will continue with our tests soon!

Truant was already tested:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3043451&postcount=931
Says here it DID remove Truant.

Wow, Slaking is sure looking like a good check to King Tut this gen.

@ Delta, I'd imagine they wouldn't bother editing the animations for possible abilities; more than likely any Pokemon that has levitate as one of it's abilities will simply float off the ground as it would regularly. Pokemon that float will float, despite whether their values tell them too or not.

Albeit untested. I unfortunately can't check this out seeing as I don't own the game =x I just figured I'd try to use a little bit of logic to maybe ease the wait while someone puts your theory into action.

I think something has changed with the number of steps needed for egg hatching. I'm breeding for Erufuun right now and just as one example, I just hatched three eggs each only one step after the previous one. They were all received and hatched without ever being deposited into a box. I picked up the third of those eggs exactly 34 steps after the second: that's the number needed to go from the daycare guy to the east edge of the Route 3 trail and then back. And the second egg was picked up 148 steps after the first (the number from the daycare guy to the west edge and back), so the third egg was 182 steps removed from the first.

It might somehow be linked to Flame Body since I have a Meraruba leading the team... After I'm done IV checking my crop of Monmen I'll try having something else as the active Pokemon and see if this happens again or not in the next 30 eggs. Eggs hatching one step apart has happened for me several times already, so if it doesn't happen again with Jaroda (or whoever) leading, I'll figure it has something to do with the ability and go from there.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
We can confirm that Follow Me still attracts attacks from the Pokemon on the opposite side from it. As for Powder Rage, it happens the same as with Follow Me.
Okay, so if it's still attracting attacks, then who's the new target? The Follow Me user (who is out of reach) or its neighbor (who is)?

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
As such, Freefall activates normally on Flying types, but does not do damage on the second turn. It is unknown whether the same is said for Levitaters.

*EDIT* Just saw MINSC's post, I guess it doesn't work on Levitate either.
Does it damage Flying-type Pokémon or those with Levitate after they've been hit by Knock Down? Also, does it damage Pokémon under the effects of Magnet Rise or Telekinesis?

Could you please be more specific as to the exact circumstances and results of your test?

EDIT: Also, I have another question about Wide Guard. Does it protect your team against your own Pokémon's multi-target attacks?

Just a tidbit about moving in Triple battles:

If your Pokemon in the middle is aiming at a Pokemon at one of the edges and is moved to the opposite edge, his attack will fail. For example:

- You have Kirikizan (middle), Hiyakki (right) and Emboar (left) against Muurando (middle), Yanakki (right) and Gigigear (left), positions based on the player's view. You order Kirikizan to Brick Break Gigigear and Hiyakki to move. Since Hiyakki is faster, it will switch places before Kirikizan can attack. Thus, when it is it's turn to attack, the attack will fail, since he is far away from it now.

I was told in another thread concerning the combo to report this here, so, well, here it is.

Dragon Tail is actually a move that can not be chosen with the move Assist. I tested it out a couple of days after the game came out, and it wouldn't work. Just did some more testing before officially reporting it here, and it stands true.

I have a Sneasel (Choroneko in the early test) with the move Assist, and the only other Pokemon in the party is a Steelix with only one move, Dragon Tail.

"Sneasel used Assist! But it failed!"

I actually drained the move's 20 PP and every single time, the move fails. Afterwards, I taught Steelix Roar, and every single time I use Assist, Roar is chosen.

Either I'm doing something completely wrong (which I doubt), or Dragon Tail can't be chosen by Assist. Judging from the other thread about the Assist+Dragon Tail combo, Pokemon Online doesn't seem to have Dragon Tail on the unusable movelist for Assist.

Reckless: Has the boost\recoil changed?
Hitmonlee with 245 attack with the ability Limber/Reckless using Double Edge against a Metagross with 296 defence.

With Limber: 36-42 damage (both max and min confirmed)
With Reckless: 43-50 damage (both max and min confirmed)
Reckless Hitmonlee got 14-16 recoil damage depending on the damage roll.

As such Reckless gives an 20% boost to recoil moves and does not change the ammount of recoil it gets. Which is the same like in Gen IV.

Dragon Tail: does it fail to switch out the target if the user faints from Life Orb recoil? Confirm it fails if user faints from Rugged Helmet\Iron Barbs recoil.
I confirm that if you use Dragon Tail and the user faints from target holding Rugged Helmet it fails to switch

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I was told in another thread concerning the combo to report this here, so, well, here it is.

Dragon Tail is actually a move that can not be chosen with the move Assist. I tested it out a couple of days after the game came out, and it wouldn't work. Just did some more testing before officially reporting it here, and it stands true.

I have a Sneasel (Choroneko in the early test) with the move Assist, and the only other Pokemon in the party is a Steelix with only one move, Dragon Tail.

"Sneasel used Assist! But it failed!"

I actually drained the move's 20 PP and every single time, the move fails. Afterwards, I taught Steelix Roar, and every single time I use Assist, Roar is chosen.

Either I'm doing something completely wrong (which I doubt), or Dragon Tail can't be chosen by Assist. Judging from the other thread about the Assist+Dragon Tail combo, Pokemon Online doesn't seem to have Dragon Tail on the unusable movelist for Assist.
Posting to confirm, as I was skeptical when I first saw the original post. I also tested every other situation I could think of that could make it fail, including the possibility that Choroneko\Sneasel's level was too low for Dragon Tail to work (Roar's success rate goes down if the user is of lower level). I retested it with a L100 Furret and a L8 Onix, and found that Assist just plain failed before it had a chance to call up Dragon Tail.

Sand Strength: Does having this ability prevent the holder from taking Sandstorm damage?
My Hitmonlee with Sand Strength did not take any damage from Sandstorm.
I also took the opportunity to test the Sand Strength boost as i haven't found it to be confirmed anywhere.
I haven't tested the moves without Sandstorm in-game but used Smogon's damage calculator instead.

Hitmonlee with 245 attack with ability Sand Strength using the fellowing moves in Sandstorm against a Rankurusu with 273 Defence.

Drill Liner without SS: 52 - 62 damage
Drill Liner with SS: 68 - 80 damage
Rock Throw without SS: 33 - 39 damage
Rock Throw with SS: 43 - 50 damage
Bullet Punch without SS: 27 - 32 damage
Bullet Punch with SS: 35 - 41 damage

The boost from Sand Strength in SS is 30% for all Rock/Steel/Ground moves.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry about that OmegaDonut and TMN, I should have been a lot more specific -- it won't happen again.

I went out and tested Follow Me again, this time with Philip7086, and these are our results:

Testing scenario: Triple Battle
Philip7086's side: Pokemon A (Emboar) | Pokemon B (Doryuuzu) | Pokemon C (Shinpora)
Setsuna's side: Togetic (Follow Me user) | Pokemon X | Pokemon Y

Results

1. The Follow Me user forces you to attack it, only if your attack can physically reach it. Otherwise, you attack the Pokemon you selected. If you use a ranged move like Gust while on the opposite side of the Follow Me user, it forces Gust to attack the Follow Me user.
2. Even if you target a teammate, Follow Me will force you to target it instead.

EDIT - I tested out the following:

OmegaDonut said:
Sand Strength: Does having this ability prevent the holder from taking Sandstorm damage?
Result: Sand Strength prevents the holder from taking Sandstorm damage.

Something weird...

A ingame trainer's Wormadam (Ground forme) used Leaf Storm on me...

How is that possible?
A new Wormadam feature or something?

Something weird...

A ingame trainer's Wormadam (Ground forme) used Leaf Storm on me...

How is that possible?
A new Wormadam feature or something?

Are you sure it was the Ground Forme? I have all the Grass, Sandy, and Trash versions in my White, all at level 47 when they learn Leaf Storm, Fissure, and Iron Head respectively.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)