Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends a lot on the match, but I'd say anywhere from about 4 to 12 turns is typical. 4 Pokemon per side and 2 out at once lead to a lot of things happening very quickly most of the time. The metagame is slightly slower this year than last year with the return of some of the more popular bulky Pokemon.

Smogon and PO both do a horrific job of supporting VGC on their servers, Skarmbliss VGC is the one you want.

IM SEVEN SECONDS IN THE PAST

kamz

VGC 2011 Seniors Champion
if my opponent uses perish song and we both use protect on the last turn of perish song and we both die who wins?

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
if my opponent uses perish song and we both use protect on the last turn of perish song and we both die who wins?
I'm pretty sure with 5th gen rules it's the person that used the move.

EX: Rhyperior uses megahorn on ferrathorn. Ferrathorn faints. *iron barb faints rhyperior*. Ferrathorn wins.

I'm pretty sure with 5th gen rules it's the person that used the move.

EX: Rhyperior uses megahorn on ferrathorn. Ferrathorn faints. *iron barb faints rhyperior*. Ferrathorn wins.
I don't think Ferrathorn would win since megahorn caused Ferrathorn to faint first and Rhyperior only fainted because of iron barb. Last year I heard that if you use like Perish Song, Self Destruct, or Explosion to cause a double Knock Out that you'd lose but if you used Take Down or any other move that causes recoil damage outside struggle and your opponent fainted because of the move and you fainted from the damage taken from recoil you won.

Also how common will the move Snarl be since TRU Zoroark is out now?

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
I don't think Ferrathorn would win since megahorn caused Ferrathorn to faint first and Rhyperior only fainted because of iron barb. Last year I heard that if you use like Perish Song, Self Destruct, or Explosion to cause a double Knock Out that you'd lose but if you used Take Down or any other move that causes recoil damage outside struggle and your opponent fainted because of the move and you fainted from the damage taken from recoil you won.

Fainting by ability like Iron Barbs goes before fainting by damage. Rhyperior would faint first and the people with the Ferrothorn. If you use Selfdestruct or Explosion to KO your opponent's Pokemon, you lose. KO by recoil happens after KO by regular damage. If you KO with Double-Edge and then get KO'd by recoil, you win. I don't remember off hand who wins in the Perish Song scenario. I would guess that the slowest Pokemon on the field faints last so that Pokemon's owner wins.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I don't think it'll be terribly common. It's a pain to legitimately get onto a mon (RELEASE THE TM ALREADY) and it's not really that useful on all teams. I mean, if you're super SDef weak, I guess, but otherwise why waste the move slot. It's like icy wind. It doesn't fit on every team.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Are set up moves, like Swords Dance, viable in the VGC metagame?
It's possible, but the fast pace and double targeting make it hard to make use of them consistently. I wouldn't bother.
What natures and EV spreads should I expect to see on Snorlax this year? I need to run some damage calculations.
Too early to say, I'd think. Non-VGC doubles isn't very popular, so it hasn't really been tested in this metagame yet.

I'm pretty sure they're doing Swiss + Top Cut now like Nationals/Worlds now, IIRC. It says somewhere in the documents, I'll go check.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I noticed on the PokeGym thread for the St. Louis regional, it mentioned registration times for Juniors and Seniors at 8 AM and Masters at 1 PM (maybe not those exactly but somewhere around there), which suggests the competition will be over (for the Juniors and Seniors at the very least) by 1 PM. Unless a very small amount of people show up, I don't see Swiss AND Top Cut being able to take place in 5 hours, at Nationals 2010 (which I competed in), 7 Swiss rounds took us to around noon, and Top Cut was on the next day. This suggests (at least to me), that the tournaments will be single elimination, or only a few swiss rounds (3-4 maybe?).

"What is the tournament format for the Pokémon Video Game Autumn Regional Championships?

Events will be run using the Modified Format and Swiss pairings. See the Tournament Rules for additional information about the Modified and Swiss formats. The number of Swiss rounds run will depend on the total attendance of the event. Prizes will be awarded after the final Swiss round."

Not Single Elim, though this makes it sound like there is no Top Cut...

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Wait so no single elimination. If we lose 1 we'll still have a chance? Now im confused, but if its indeed swiss than that'd be great as many people wont be getting haxed rd1, but then what about the people that are still on line that don't arrive super early?

Awww I don't really like swiss I prefer just winning a lot. The early rounds make me anxious. I think at worlds swiss I had to go to pee like 6 times while the rounds were still active, I mean oh my god.

Also it would just take too long and I don't see it happening. Worlds is what 18 matches played over the course of a day and that's without all that much admin cause everyone's already preregistered and stuff so yeah it's probably just single elim again. IF YOU WANT TO WIN JUST DON'T GET HAXED!! You are SORT OF in control of it unless your opponent uses luck-based stuff that's impossible to respond to, and nobody who isn't a prick uses that plus it should be something you only find in the early rounds. If you come to a tournament playing a luck or autopilot team you just flat out don't deserve to be playing so yeah. And by luck I mean stuff like OHKO spam, quick claw, whatever. Except quick claw tyranitar in 2010 that was okay because ttar had literally no other items (chople is shit don't get me started).

Zog, this doesn't even affect you lol. It's also confirmed it's not single elimination and that it's swiss so I don't know why there's any discussion about this. It doesn't take that long to register people for a swiss tournament: how do you think they register 1500 for US TCG Nationals? At most, Swiss would go on for 9 rounds (and this is for Masters, but I highly doubt any Regional will get 1024 people), and seeing how fast VGC matches go + giving time to let matchups go up, it would take only 30-35~ minutes at MOST per round. That's only around 5-6 hours for the whole 9 rounds, which isn't a lot at all.

I like this. At regionals, you tend to play a lot more cautious due to Single Elimination. However, with swiss rounds, it'll be a lot more stress off your shoulders and you'll just have to worry about being consistent with your wins for about 4-5 of your matches.

I think it'll be pretty fun this year.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Except for the fact that if there's no top cut, you still have to be the undefeated one to win...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)